Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-08-2023, 2:03 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Default Who has a lot of Ruger MK experience?

I've never owned a Ruger MK. I own a Smith & Wesson K17 that is a work of art and I kind of don't want to shoot it a lot, I'd rather shoot it occasionally and buy a nice semi auto F/S plinking pistol that I can shoot the snot out of. I had an SR22 when they were on roster here and they are fun but not especially accurate and too small for my hand, great for ladies and first time shooters. I also carry a Max 9 so I like Ruger pistols.

Now that we have the MKIV Target with the Bull Barrel on the roster, I've been thinking about buying one. I like bull barrel, I am told the MKIV mitigates all of the disassembly frustration that people had with the earlier MK variants. I've shot the MKII and MKIII over the years and liked how they shot, very fun pistols. I'm not in any hurry to buy though, anyone hear any rumblings on if Ruger will California-ize any of the other MKIV variants soon? I wonder if there is a way they could California-ize the 22/45 Lites to get rid of the screw-off barrel attachment/threaded barrel?

Anyway, what's your vote for me, just get the MKIV Target or wait a few more months to see what other .22 pistols Ruger sends our way? Even with reloading, shooting up a ton of 9mm for plinking isn't as appealing as shooting up some of my rather large .22 stash.

Old 12-08-2023, 2:23 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I am waiting to see if the Mark IV Hunter shows up. No rush.

You might want to consider a Smith and Wesson 41.
Old 12-08-2023, 2:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Snag the MKIV Now. You can mod them into anything you want. You'll be stuck with the barrel though since the upper with the barrell is the serial numbered receiver. ALL of the Rugers since the 1949 Standard are basically the same gun. There are many variants re: barrel length/dia and sights - minor features on some. The 22/45 used a different grip to mimic the 1911 rather than the Lugerish one. The problem with the "Lite" ones is the barrel is just a tube that has an aluminum sleeve and nut to tension it. You'd need to pin/weld the tensioning nut and that would eliminate the ability to adjust or take it apart to clean. The early guns are easy enough to take down and reassemble. You just need to watch a couple YouTube videos to see how.

Yes the S&W 41 is a fine gun but you can have 2 Rugers for the price of 1 S&W.........
Old 12-08-2023, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know if you're like me, I'm a complete brand whore for Ruger and buy nearly everything they make. That includes multiple MK series pistols along with the new MK4 Target. With that being said, if you're not particularly sold on one manufacturer over another you seriously may want to consider the Browning buckmark series. I have a browning buckmark URX light 7.5 in that is every bit as nice and shoots every bit as good as any Ruger I've ever had. And they are on the roster as well. Like I said I'm a total whore for Ruger, but I wouldn't feel disappointed if I only owned the Browning and not the MK4
Old 12-08-2023, 3:22 PM

Haven't had much range time with mine but its a keeper. Mine was pretty light trigger out of the box although it isn't quite smooth. Volq parts will fix that. I mounted a fiber optic front sight which definitely helps.
Old 12-08-2023, 3:35 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I love the Mk series and have several of them, from the old Standard to a 10" MkII, to Volquartsen and TacSol stuff. I don't think they're inherently better than the other options, I just grew up shooting them and like them a lot. Takedown and cleaning is a pain (I don't have a MkIV), but it's just something you learn to live with and swear about. Dodge Chevy Ford decision.
Old 12-08-2023, 4:25 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar

I have a MKII and just got a MKIV when it went on roster.

Both are solid pistols. Fun to shoot. If they added the 10” barrel model, I’d get one of those too.
Old 12-08-2023, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

I recently (June) acquired the new MK4. A distinct advantage is the easier procedure for getting it back together after cleaning. That is about it. From the factory, the trigger as compared to my other earlier examples is a mixture of creepy-meets-crap, with an offending magazine disconnect thrown on top for appeasement to lawyers and politicians. The pistol has been accurate, but is limited by the crappy trigger. It has proven reliable.

Good news is that a very good trigger is available from Apex:
https://www.apextactical.com/action-...or-ruger-mk-iv

I’m about to install this on mine. The video should be watched, as it takes a little experience working with small tools.

EDIT: Apex is offering 15% off through 14 December with code APEXMAS23. Shipping was free as well, NO Kalifornia sales tax either.

Last edited by splithoof; 12-08-2023 at 5:17 PM..
Old 12-08-2023, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I love them, so I see no reason not to buy what's on the roster now, and buy another later.
I have 4 MKIIs, 2 MKIIIs, and 2 MKIVs.
Old 12-08-2023, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

I have my dad’s old Mk II. It was just a normal version with 6” barrel (not heavy barrel). It was smooth.

I tried a new Mk IV (rental) at the range. It was not close to my dad’s old Mk II.
Old 12-08-2023, 7:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I've had a MKIII SS bull barrel for ages, very accurate and a crisp, light trigger out of the box. The disassembly/reassembly "issues" are in my opinion oversold. Watch a video, do it a few times, and it's easy. A paperclip makes it even easier.
Old 12-08-2023, 7:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Snag the MKIV Now. You can mod them into anything you want. You'll be stuck with the barrel though since the upper with the barrell is the serial numbered receiver. ALL of the Rugers since the 1949 Standard are basically the same gun. There are many variants re: barrel length/dia and sights - minor features on some. The 22/45 used a different grip to mimic the 1911 rather than the Lugerish one. The problem with the "Lite" ones is the barrel is just a tube that has an aluminum sleeve and nut to tension it. You'd need to pin/weld the tensioning nut and that would eliminate the ability to adjust or take it apart to clean. The early guns are easy enough to take down and reassemble. You just need to watch a couple YouTube videos to see how.

Yes the S&W 41 is a fine gun but you can have 2 Rugers for the price of 1 S&W.........
You can replace a Ruger Mark I-IV barrel. It's no different that replacing any other screw-in barrel, easier than many

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 12-08-2023, 7:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygeaux View Post
I've had a MKIII SS bull barrel for ages, very accurate and a crisp, light trigger out of the box. The disassembly/reassembly "issues" are in my opinion oversold. Watch a video, do it a few times, and it's easy. A paperclip makes it even easier.
Very true. I heard all the stories about the very hard Mk III disassembly/reassembly, and when I first did it, I was like "really, that's it?"

Having bought and built a bunch of them since then, it's just gotten easier. Mk I/II are even easier. Ditto for my Mk IIIs, since I just get rid of the mag disconnect. Never cared for one.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 12-09-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
You can replace a Ruger Mark I-IV barrel. It's no different that replacing any other screw-in barrel, easier than many
I disagree with this statement. While the barrel does screw into the top receiver, it does not easily unscrew. It will take a big strong vise, fitted pads, and a big wrench for tubes with padded jaws. Some guns will break loose, some will need heat (torch) to break the bond.

The upper receiver is the serialized part, not the lower. Having a new Barreled uppers (Volquartsen) with different barrels is easier to swap out than to replace the original barrel on the existing upper. New uppers are considered the firearm which are tough to get here as they are not on the DOJ list.

Having done about a dozen of these Ruger Mark pistol barrel removals, it?s only worth it if you?re trying to save a damaged gun with a factory replacement barrel.
Old 12-09-2023, 2:33 PM

I love 22 pistols and shoot the snot out of a lot of them.

The Ruger MkIV 5.5 Bull Barrel is wonderful. I got one as soon as it came on the roster. It is easy to clean. Shoots great. It would be a worthy gun to get with no regrets because that is what is available now. For me it shoots as well as 5.5" barreled S&W 41s and 5.5" Browning Buckmarks for plinking and shooting steel targets. The ONLY disadvantage is that you are stuck with the 5.5" barrel.

I don't know if Ruger would add any other models. But if they did I would definitely buy a 6 7/8" Competition. I have had many MkIIs but will never sell my MkII 6 7/8" Government Model and MkII 6 7/8" Target because they shoot the best for me when punching tiny groups on paper.

My vote for you (which is what I did) is get the current MkIV now and have fun. It's the perfect plinking machine. Later, if the Competition model gets on the roster, I will get that one for punching paper.

The other snot shooting choices would be either a Browning Buckmark or S&W 41. Additional barrels are available for both for freedom to change using only one receiver. I have short light 4" Buckmark barrel and lightweight 5" S&W 41 barrel for plinking fun. As well as 5.5", 7", 7 3/8", and 7 1/2" barrels for target shooting. Both are on roster.

Last edited by pinger; 12-09-2023 at 2:39 PM..
Old 12-09-2023, 2:49 PM

I have a MKII target in stainless and absolutely love the gun. Many thousands of rounds thru the gun, trouble free fun. Got lucky and snagged a stainless MKIV for not much more than retail a couple years back. Put a Lobos industries mount and a dot on it. Also many thousands of trouble free rounds thru it. If I didn’t have the MKIV already in stainless, would have snapped up a roster version as soon as it came out.
Old 12-09-2023, 9:37 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Good advice and a lot of experiences with the MK pistols in this thread. The MKIV will likely be my next pistol purchase. I've looked at the Buckmarks and for some reason, the MK pistols appeal to me more. I've never checked out the Smith & Wesson, perhaps I should as I am also a big S&W fan and have several Smith pistols.

Old 12-09-2023, 11:53 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

The Mark II is the best of them IMHO, and a majestic arms speed strip kit eliminates the need to remove the mainspring housing. Boringly accurate.

The MK IV is a nice plinker too, not a fan of any models with the LCI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 12-10-2023, 4:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcat View Post
I disagree with this statement. While the barrel does screw into the top receiver, it does not easily unscrew. It will take a big strong vise, fitted pads, and a big wrench for tubes with padded jaws. Some guns will break loose, some will need heat (torch) to break the bond.

The upper receiver is the serialized part, not the lower. Having a new Barreled uppers (Volquartsen) with different barrels is easier to swap out than to replace the original barrel on the existing upper. New uppers are considered the firearm which are tough to get here as they are not on the DOJ list.

Having done about a dozen of these Ruger Mark pistol barrel removals, it?s only worth it if you?re trying to save a damaged gun with a factory replacement barrel.
I've made quite a few of the Ruger uppers and removed/installed quite a few barrels from factory uppers or receiver pieces over the years. Can't say it's any harder (or much different) from removing any other screw in barrels. Some are easier, some are harder, but I'm yet to see one that can't be removed or installed. Your experience seems to differ, but mine's like this. And yes, I have more uppers than frames since uppers are easy to swap and frames tend to be expensive.

The setup for barrel removal/installation I have is home made and fairly simple. I've been waiting on the Brownells Ruger action wrench for a while, so ended up making something similar myself. Basically, a Remington 700 action wrench (just because I already had it) and a 3D printed PLA+ insert to fit the receiver (it's good for about 5-6 removals/installs and doesn't mar or scratch the receiver). On the barrel end I use round pipe jaws in a vise, and in those jaws I have an aluminum ferrule with a cut through it (so it can compress around the barrel and match its dimensions, since Ruger barrel dimensions slightly vary). I have several such ferrules (for bull barrels and for different regular barrels). I put some tape on the barrel before inserting it into the ferrule for extra traction. I used to use lead shims for that, but they give less traction than tape. They're still good for regular Ruger barrels, since their conical shapes vary more. Even though I have a proper barrel vise these days, I still use this setup for the Rugers, since it works and I'm used to it.

To your point, I wish Ruger learned to put anti-seize on threads

Last edited by nick; 12-10-2023 at 4:26 PM..
Old 12-11-2023, 11:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
With a machine shop, this is true.
Without a machine shop, this is highly unlikely.

Ruger barrels and receivers do not have timed threads like a Win model 70 so you have to re-time the new barrel or the receiver in order for them to align correctly with the sights on top and the feedramp and extractor cuts where they need to align.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-11-2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Good advice and a lot of experiences with the MK pistols in this thread. The MKIV will likely be my next pistol purchase. I've looked at the Buckmarks and for some reason, the MK pistols appeal to me more. I've never checked out the Smith & Wesson, perhaps I should as I am also a big S&W fan and have several Smith pistols.

The Model 41 is an iconic S&W pistol. So nice to shoot.

They?re on the Olympic Pistol exemption list, so the roster doesn?t apply. That opens up lots of great condition used examples on GB from years gone by.

Or, grab a new one with a lifetime warranty.

Here?s the obligatory pic of my 41-1 in .22 Short. With the 7? bbl and compensator, it?s about as soft shooting as they come, haha!!

Old 12-11-2023, 7:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post

Ruger barrels and receivers do not have timed threads like a Win model 70 so you have to re-time the new barrel or the receiver in order for them to align correctly with the sights on top and the feedramp and extractor cuts where they need to align.
True. Makes me wonder how they do it at the factory. With that said, timing them's easy, as there's a lot of leeway built into the design.

Old 12-11-2023, 7:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:

True. Makes me wonder how they do it at the factory. With that said, timing them's easy, as there's a lot of leeway built into the design.

Old 12-11-2023, 7:13 PM

I’ve had several, my favorite is the MkII slab side 6 7/8 barrel,
Really balances nice. My brother has the 10” and it’s like shooting a rifle.
I have the S&W 41 with two barrels and it’s sweet but I’ve found it more finicky with ammo.
Old 12-12-2023, 8:45 AM

Ruger MK series are fantastic, you won't go wrong grabbing one in whatever configuration floats your boat!

Another contestant to look at is the S&W Victory. It pops up from time to time and I imagine will eventually be on the roster as it's already got the magazine disconnect built in.

If you believe in Liberty, you should believe it for everyone, not simply those whom you agree with.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Rugers are obsolete, but if you're stuck with the roster I guess they're ok. I've had one since before they were MKing them. I thought .22's didn't need a roster.
Old 12-12-2023, 8:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I am betting that the barrel is first made with extra material on the back to make the feedramp and they screw the barrel into the receiver to tight.
Then they make that bottom flat cut that goes across both the receiver and the barrel while the barrel is in the receiver.
Then they pull the barrel back out of the receiver and drop it into a fixture which locates from the bottom flat that was milled as an assembly.
After that, they can cut the two sides of the feedramp away to leave the small feedramp as well as machine the front sight base (on the tapered barrels where the front sight base is part of the barrel).

If they don't do it that way, then they machine the whole barrel with the feedramp and front sight base and then cut the shoulder to time to a specific receiver just like you and I do.

I agree that it's easy to time them in a machine shop environment.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-12-2023, 8:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Rugers are obsolete, but if you're stuck with the roster I guess they're ok.
I've had one since before they were MKing them. I thought .22's didn't need a roster.
I assume you are saying that both 10-22's and all the MK 1-2-3-4 series are obsolete.

Almost nobody else agrees with you.
Old 12-12-2023, 9:03 PM

Quote:
I've made quite a few of the Ruger uppers and removed/installed quite a few barrels from factory uppers or receiver pieces over the years. Can't say it's any harder (or much different) from removing any other screw in barrels. Some are easier, some are harder, but I'm yet to see one that can't be removed or installed. Your experience seems to differ, but mine's like this. And yes, I have more uppers than frames since uppers are easy to swap and frames tend to be expensive.

The setup for barrel removal/installation I have is home made and fairly simple. I've been waiting on the Brownells Ruger action wrench for a while, so ended up making something similar myself. Basically, a Remington 700 action wrench (just because I already had it) and a 3D printed PLA+ insert to fit the receiver (it's good for about 5-6 removals/installs and doesn't mar or scratch the receiver). On the barrel end I use round pipe jaws in a vise, and in those jaws I have an aluminum ferrule with a cut through it (so it can compress around the barrel and match its dimensions, since Ruger barrel dimensions slightly vary). I have several such ferrules (for bull barrels and for different regular barrels). I put some tape on the barrel before inserting it into the ferrule for extra traction. I used to use lead shims for that, but they give less traction than tape. They're still good for regular Ruger barrels, since their conical shapes vary more. Even though I have a proper barrel vise these days, I still use this setup for the Rugers, since it works and I'm used to it.

To your point, I wish Ruger learned to put anti-seize on threads
This is good, expert advice. I didn?t give the details, but my set up is similar. The pistols I worked on were all rescue jobs, abused, some rusted. I did the work to get the barrels off, but I had a machinist timed the threads of the new barrels to align the feed ramp. See the attached pic of the difference between a MkIV barrel tenon vs older models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0751.jpg (12.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-12-2023, 9:14 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I've had a MkII target model with bull barrel since the 1980s. One of the guns I will NEVER get rid of.

Yes, putting it back together after field stripping is a pain in the ***. Not physically that hard, but you just have to remember the exact process (it's not instinctive).

The new California-approved model is the same basic design as mine (other than mine is stainless steel). I love the feel in the hand, and the barrel weight helps make you feel like you can't miss.

The Hunter and Competition models are sexy looking, but if I didn't have my MkII, I would run out and get the California MkIV without hesitating.
Old 12-13-2023, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Get the Mark IV Target now. Later when/if something is added (the Competition or Hunter) get that one too.

I would have gotten one of the current Target Mark IV too, BUT I am now into speakers and they are that much more expensive than guns.
Old 12-13-2023, 3:45 PM

I own the S&W M41, Buckmark and a Ruger MkIV.

All of them handle differently, and the M41 is not the "ultimate be all and end all of .22 target pistols" that people seem to think.

It is certainly more accurate, the trigger is about 2 lbs, the weight is hefty, and the balance of the pistol is exactly in the right place, which leads to its amazing accuracy. I use this for qualifiers but not competitions, because I'm afraid of it jamming. Cleaning is easy too, flip down the trigger guard and it comes apart. However, it's picky on ammo, I always have to think about how to set it down on the bench because I don't want to ruin the finish or the beautiful wood grip, it acts up far more than the other two guns, and spending money to get it "better" would be spending money on "reliability" improvements. I have a love/hate relationship with this gun.

Buckmark is sort of last place. Its much lighter, but has a front heavy barrel. Grip is skinnier, trigger is not as light, but it is a single action semi so its still really good. Worst part of the Buckmark? Cleaning it. It's a chore. unscrewing all the hex screws and then using a torque tool to put them back exactly right is a chore. This gun was purchased because MKIV's weren't on roster and MKIII's are a hassle to put together too.

MkIV is my favorite, and had I bought this one first, looking back, don't think I would've bought the buckmark. It has all the good qualities of the buckmark, without the cleaning hassle. Yes, the finishing is not as nice as the 41. Trigger is not amazing. Weight balance is not as good, and the grip is swept way back, far more than the other two. But I don't have to worry about keeping it pristine either, and it's not as ammo picky as an M41. I don't regret this gun, its worth the money I spent.

I want the Hunter MKIV but I think the blued Target is a great gun.
NRA & CRPA Member
Veteran, 1994-1998

Last edited by Zenderfall; 12-13-2023 at 3:54 PM..
Old 12-13-2023, 5:38 PM

I think the MkII pistols are the best version if you can find a nice used one.

For new, this off-roster one would be my choice…..

https://ruger.com/products/markIVSta...ets/40175.html

Maybe if we all write to Ruger?!

Last edited by Elgatodeacero; 12-13-2023 at 5:47 PM..
Old 12-13-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgatodeacero View Post
I think the MkII pistols are the best version if you can find a nice used one.

For new, this off-roster one would be my choice?..

https://ruger.com/products/markIVSta...ets/40175.html

Maybe if we all write to Ruger?!
I also think the MkIIs are the best versions but MkIVs are what is now on roster.

The lockup of the barrel to the lower is very tight on the MkIIs that I have. It takes a mallet to separate the two pieces. The teardown and reassembly is not difficult.

The MkIIIs are basically MkIIs with extra moving parts that aren't needed.

On the MkIV I feel that since it is so easy to take apart there is a possibility that there might eventually be some looseness between the barrel and grip. The upper and lower are connected together but I don't get the same wedged together feeling like the MkII.

I still like my MkIV and want other MkIV versions but will also keep my MkIIs.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:25 PM

Buy a Mk 1 or 2 for the better trigger.

You don't need to field strip these guns in order to clean them. So don't fret the process.

Mk4 changed the action and its inferior to Mk 1 and 2.

Bull barrel is best!
Old 12-14-2023, 10:49 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
I've never owned a Ruger MK. I own a Smith & Wesson K17 that is a work of art and I kind of don't want to shoot it a lot, I'd rather shoot it occasionally and buy a nice semi auto F/S plinking pistol that I can shoot the snot out of. I had an SR22 when they were on roster here and they are fun but not especially accurate and too small for my hand, great for ladies and first time shooters. I also carry a Max 9 so I like Ruger pistols.

Now that we have the MKIV Target with the Bull Barrel on the roster, I've been thinking about buying one. I like bull barrel, I am told the MKIV mitigates all of the disassembly frustration that people had with the earlier MK variants. I've shot the MKII and MKIII over the years and liked how they shot, very fun pistols. I'm not in any hurry to buy though, anyone hear any rumblings on if Ruger will California-ize any of the other MKIV variants soon? I wonder if there is a way they could California-ize the 22/45 Lites to get rid of the screw-off barrel attachment/threaded barrel?

Anyway, what's your vote for me, just get the MKIV Target or wait a few more months to see what other .22 pistols Ruger sends our way? Even with reloading, shooting up a ton of 9mm for plinking isn't as appealing as shooting up some of my rather large .22 stash.
I bought a stainless bull barrel MKIV post recall. I never owned any of the earlier versions, but the IV is very easy to field strip and clean. In my casual plinking it has been very accurate and 100% reliable with various types of .22LR. It was sort of expensive, but there is nothing cheap-feeling about it and it was worth it. Very high fun factor and a joy to shoot.

Old 12-14-2023, 2:44 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Rugers are obsolete, but if you're stuck with the roster I guess they're ok. I've had one since before they were MKing them. I thought .22's didn't need a roster.
What do people in America buy for fun, target/plinking .22 semi-autos that we can't get here? I don't even know.

Old 12-14-2023, 2:50 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I bought a stainless bull barrel MKIV post recall. I never owned any of the earlier versions, but the IV is very easy to field strip and clean. In my casual plinking it has been very accurate and 100% reliable with various types of .22LR. It was sort of expensive, but there is nothing cheap-feeling about it and it was worth it. Very high fun factor and a joy to shoot.
Very good looking Bobby! That's what I want, I will definitely be mostly just plinking and having fun so I think the slight hedge the MKII and MKIII have over the MKIV would be lost on me, I'm definitely not a great pistol shooter.

I like it and just have fun doing it and .22 is cheap for me to shoot since I bought my stash during the Obama shortage. .22 ammo was super hard to find but it was still cheap when you found it, those 5,000 round cases were a good deal.

Old 12-14-2023, 4:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I have all the Ruger generations in my reference collection.
4-3/4" Standard, 6-7/8" MK1 target, 6" MKII, 5.5" MKIII target, 4.4" MKIV 22/45 light and a 5.5" MKIV target.
If you ever wanted to handle them all, come over.

I think the best MK series is the MKII.
MKII got a separate bolt catch from the safety selector of the Standard and MKI.
MKIII brought loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect that I don't like.
I really like the MKIV light as well but I think that a MKIV 22/45 light would be the ultimate with the EZ takedown after the magazine disconnect is removed.

Buckmarks and Ruger MK series and the S&W Victory are all equally great guns but they are nowhere near the level of a Smith model 41.
But that's also why they are half the price of a 41.
You get what you pay for with a 41.
I have a couple 41's and even some olympic pistols from Walther and High Standard too.
My walther with the 20gram trigger is insane to shoot.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 12-14-2023 at 4:56 PM..
Old 12-15-2023, 9:55 PM

Quote:
?I think the best MK series is the MKII?

Buckmarks and Ruger MK series and the S&W Victory are all equally great guns but they are nowhere near the level of a Smith model 41.
But that's also why they are half the price of a 41.
You get what you pay for with a 41.
I have a couple 41's and even some olympic pistols from Walther and High Standard too.
My walther with the 20gram trigger is insane to shoot.
Agreed on the MKII

20 grams?!? Is the trigger protected from a stiff breeze to prevent an ND?? Haha!! Wow that?s light.