Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 10-09-2018, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

Default Boondocking sites north of Kernville, busy this time of year?

if I show up on a random November thursday night/friday morning at Chico Flats or Coral Creek (both north of Kernville, Sequioa Nat'l Forest), am I likely to find it packed, or is there likely to be space?

I don't often trust first-come-first-serve spots, but the pre-reserved site is further south than I'd like to start my hunting trip...

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I cant imagine too many folks would be out on a Thursday in November, aside from a couple of gypsies in the run down motor homes haha. Granola eaters should be closer to home. Luckily there are tons of campgrounds along the Kern, so you can just keep on going until you find a spot.
Old 10-10-2018, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuvik View Post
Luckily there are tons of campgrounds along the Kern, so you can just keep on going until you find a spot.
Most of those spots seem to close in September... there's only three sites listed as open in November.

Thanks for the good news!
Old 10-11-2018, 6:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
Most of those spots seem to close in September... there's only three sites listed as open in November.

Thanks for the good news!
Do they have gates now? Im not the best source about the condition of those places. Been a few times when I was kid in the 90s. We used to goof off at the mines near gold ledge campground and others. Probably sealed those off now too.

Calkins Flat disperesed camping is open all year as plan D, if you want to motor as far as Roads End.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuvik View Post
Do they have gates now?
I honestly don't know. First time there, myself... I did see a notice on the ranger's station website that camping within 1000 feet (?) of the river is forbidden outside of official campsites and boondocking sites "for fire hazard" purposes... so they may actually come and roust people?