Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

View Poll Results: Best for home defense
SPARC AR 9 81.82%
RAZOR 2 18.18%
VENON 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2022, 2:19 AM

Default Sparc, Razor, or Venom for Home Defense 8" AR-Pistol in .300 Blk

What are some pros/cons between the SPARC-AR, Razor, and Venom for a home defense AR-Pistol? I'm leaning toward the Razor.

Vortex Optics SPARC AR II Red Dot Sight - 2 MOA
https://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-o...ot-sight-2-moa
https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/sp...r-red-dot.html

Vortex Optics Razor Red Dot Reflex Sight - 3 MOA
https://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-o...ex-sight-3-moa
https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/ra...r-red-dot.html

Vortex Optics Venom Red Dot Reflex Sight - 3 MOA
https://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-v...sight-vmd-3103
https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/vo...m-red-dot.html
Old 05-21-2022, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

The design of the top one has a closed emitter, which means there is no chance of debris blocking it and rendering it useless. The reason we run open emitter sights on handguns is to reduce weight and bulk so they can be carried holstered and be concealed. That's not a concern for an AR, pistol or otherwise. So there is no need to compromise reliability. Best to go with the slightly bulkier sight. You won't feel or even notice it's increased weight or bulk on an AR. It will still be incredibly light. On my pistols I am currently running open emitter sights. Specifically the Trijicon RMR. But again, unless it is a backup I'd rather go with and do go with closed emitter sights instead.

As for the sight itself, I have not owned or run that model so I cannot say. I do own and run the Aimpoint T1 and T2 sights it is based off of and love them. Vortex does have a good overall reputation. I just purchased a RAZOR GEN II Scope for my Stag-10. But do not have any shooting time on it yet. I like the brand. They do make some very entry level stuff and some higher end stuff though. It is all usable and as far as I know reliable. But there are improvements on their more expensive items that justify the higher price points.

My one point of concern would be that it is for self defense and not just sport. When it comes to self defense I go for the highest end stuff I can afford. $200 is not a lot of money for a red dot sight. It more than likely will do just fine. But there is a reason EoTechs cost twice as much, and Aimpoints cost even more. Those are the top two most respected red dot / holographic sights on the market. That said, many professionals with far more knowledge and experience than myself swear by Holosun and their version of this sight starts at $125. So who knows?

In any case, based on design alone my vote would be for the Vortex Optics SPARC AR II Red Dot Sight - 2 MOA.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 05-21-2022 at 11:41 AM..
Old 05-23-2022, 6:48 AM
Calguns Addict

My guess it's mostly a range use w/fixed mag pistola so the (HD use) is dubious IMO.
Run any of them OP. I like a 2 MOA for better distance shooting.

*AR shorties are unbearably noisy in a bottle neck cartridge form sans silencer or ear pro. Subs or supers in 300blk will thru and thru walls in almost any house. Nobody wants to plug the neighbors.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

I didnt know I was a slave until I found out I couldnt do the things I wanted.
Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-23-2022, 1:00 PM

I have a razor on an AR15 as primary sight and flip ups for backup.

It's a really good sight I won in a competition, and am happy with it.

If I was going to buy a dot, I;m torn between the razor and the aimpoint. I think the aimpoint is worth the money but it's a lot of money...
Old 06-22-2022, 7:58 AM

Of those, I'd recommend the Sparc for the reasons already mentioned above.

If you can save up a bit longer, get an AimPoint red dot for anything you expect to use in a life or death situation. Vortex optics are good, but AimPoint have earned their reputation for ruggedness and reliability in "worst case scenario" environments. The PRO or Duty are the most affordable options - while they are a bit more expensive than the Vortex dots, they will literally last a lifetime.

Last edited by DrewTheBrave; 06-22-2022 at 6:02 PM..
Old 06-22-2022, 8:06 AM
Veteran Member

Out of those 3 the Sparc due to the other 2 not being as durable if dropped or banged on a door frame.

Being a huge Vortex fan, I'd say buy something more robust for HD such as an AimPoint Pro. It has a 50K battery life left on, proven durability and can be found for @ 300-400 used/new with a mount.
Old 06-22-2022, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Agree with the above, also I have an older SPARC that’s been mounted on a AK for years. Never loses its zero, been bumped and banged just keeps on working.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The top one looks a lot like a SIG Romeo5. A Romeo5 would be a lot cheaper in a CR battery version and probably have all the Romeo5 features.

The shake-awake feature is very nice for HD because you can switch it on and leave it.
Old 06-25-2022, 9:53 PM

Does it have to be one of those three? I have two semi auto AR pistols. One is chambered in .300 blackout with a 10.5" barrel. It has an EOTech EXPS-0 green with the 5x magnifier. Love everything about it! Daylight bright with the green reticle and the 5x is a great addition when at the range. My other pistol is chambered in .223 Wylde with an 11" barrel. It has a Trijicon MRO HD optic that I also absolutely love. It too has a 3x magnifier. They are absolutely a blast to shoot. Hope I never need to use them for self protection cuz that will mean I have already used my Sig P226 and SIG P220 legion and couldn't get the job done with either of those two. Yikes ! And most important of all, by American ! FU_K Holosun and everything Chinese ! ✌️

Last edited by Bajacracker; 06-25-2022 at 10:01 PM..