Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-25-2023, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater34 View Post
She might have a leg or three to stand one after what happened in Illinois to the Synagogue President in her own driveway probably on her way to Sunday service.
New York makes California seem like a free state. The councilwoman will not slide, especially after Governor Hochul personally tweeted about this specific incident.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:50 AM

Maybe the good governor might reconsider after what happened at the Whitehouse this last weekend.
Old 11-07-2023, 1:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudmanWP View Post
Bruen said that "public carry" was a right protected under the 2nd. It never specified Open vs Concealed when it came to exercising that right. What it said was that historically the only laws that were unconstitutional were were BOTH open and concealed were banned. It never said that open had to be offered even if concealed was a choice. It also said that "reasonable" licensing schemes that were objective could be placed on public carry. This is even applicable to open carry as several states have license restrictions on open carry.

Can you point me towards the Historical Tradition of Firearms Regulation during the Founding Ear that banned the Open Carry of Firearms.

DILLIGAF
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice"
"Once is Happenstance, Twice is Coincidence, Thrice is Enemy Action"
"The flak is always heaviest, when you're over the target"
Old 11-07-2023, 7:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

I am not sure SCOTUS gave specific examples when they talked about it in Bruen. I'll look at it when the Rahimi livefeed is done.
Old 11-07-2023, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Maybe the good governor might reconsider after what happened at the Whitehouse this last weekend.
What are you referencing?
Old 11-07-2023, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
The Governor don't got nothing to do with this.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:10 AM

I don't care about what's in her waistline...I'm interested in what she's packin' higher up in that top!
Old 11-09-2023, 9:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When is her court date. It would be interesting to follow the continuances and backroom deals to see where this goes.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessdude View Post
When is her court date. It would be interesting to follow the continuances and backroom deals to see where this goes.
Local media outlets are following her case. Thankfully, Councilwoman Inna Vernikov won reelection to her New York city council seat merely yesterday.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:55 AM

Yes I am happy for her glad she has been reelected.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:35 PM

Good luck to her.

I bet she pleads guilty to a misdemeanor (drop from felony possession).
Unfortunately, this case will be meaningless in terms of it's effect on the CCIA and the general public in terms of carrying.
Old 11-11-2023, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

What gives with this thread? Can't get it to show that all post have been read!
Old 11-12-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostHeaven View Post
Local media outlets are following her case. Thankfully, Councilwoman Inna Vernikov won reelection to her New York city council seat merely yesterday.
I hope she fully realizes how wrong and stupid was the very law that got her arrested.
I hope she champions 2nd amendment rights insofar as she can.
As a Councilwoman, there's probably not a lot she can do, but her voice
is important and as a Councilwoman, louder than us non-politicians.
Old 11-12-2023, 12:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickybillegas View Post
I hope she fully realizes how wrong and stupid was the very law that got her arrested.
I hope she champions 2nd amendment rights insofar as she can.
As a Councilwoman, there's probably not a lot she can do, but her voice
is important and as a Councilwoman, louder than us non-politicians.
There is a lot that she can do, although at greater personal legal risk than she should be exposed to.

She can demur to the charges.

By filing a demurrer, and claiming that the charges she is being subjected to are unconstitutional, specifically that the breadth of "sensitive places" as used in the New York statute is overly broad, she can force a decision on the statute in advance of trial, and can do so on a "direct route."

We saw the same with a gentleman who successfully demurred to CCW charges in the Sacramento Superior Court. Of course, the California Court of Appeals held against the use of demurrer in similar cases that followed, effectively ending that approach in California.
Old 11-13-2023, 8:00 AM

The New York judiciary abhors the right to keep and bear arms even more than the one in California, so I would not blame Councilwoman Vernikov for pleading down and avoiding the long litigation slog.
Old 11-13-2023, 9:39 AM

On the otherhand, she may have done all of this for just this fight. I believe she was well aware of where she was, what the law stated and what she was doing. Time will tell.
Old 11-13-2023, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T View Post
On the otherhand, she may have done all of this for just this fight. I believe she was well aware of where she was, what the law stated and what she was doing. Time will tell.

I think you might be right. If true we need more like her who have the resources to fight back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Old 11-13-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T View Post
I certainly wish her the best if she decides to pursue a constitutional challenge.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I certainly wish her the best if she decides to pursue a constitutional challenge.
I do as well. My new saying: "If wishes were horses, then freedom would ride."

NRA Patriot Life Member, Benefactor
CRPA: Life Member
FPC: Member

It's 2025. Mickey Mouse is in the public domain and Goofy has left the White House.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:00 PM

Exclamation

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/1...opped-00127825

A gun possession charge against City Council member Inna Vernikov is set to be dropped because there was no proof the gun could fire, Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez's office said Friday.

Vernikov, a Republican, was arrested in October the day after she was filmed wearing a gun at her waist while counterprotesting a pro-Palestinean rally outside Brooklyn College. Newly passed state gun laws specify that it is illegal to carry a gun at a protest.

But Gonzalez wouldn't be able to prove the charge in this case, his office said.

"The firearm recovered by the NYPD in this case was unloaded and missing the recoil spring assembly, rendering it inoperable, according to the NYPD's lab report," spokesperson Oren Yaniv said in a statement. "In order to sustain this charge, it must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the weapon in question was capable of firing bullets. Absent such proof, we have no choice but to dismiss these charges."

Yaniv said the case will formally be dropped at the next court date, which is currently scheduled for Jan. 24, but may be rescheduled to an earlier date. The decision was first reported Friday by The City.

Vernikov is Jewish and an outspoken advocate of Israel. In a statement provided first to POLITICO, she framed her gun-carrying counterprotest as a response to Hamas' attack on Israel.

"I'm glad this is behind me and I look forward to the next two years working for my constituents," she said. "Ever since Hamas has unleashed a massacre on the people of Israel on Oct. 7th, Jewish New Yorkers have been facing an unprecedented rise in hate and violence on our streets and on our college campuses. I will continue to be a fearless fighter against antisemitism and for the public safety of all New Yorkers."

Vernikov declined to answer whether she had ever fired the gun before, and whether the spring had been removed.

A progressive Democratic colleague, City Council member Chi Osse, blasted the way "VerniGlock received soft on crime treatment from the NYPD" in a lengthy statement posted to X.

"By failing to hold Council Member Vernikov and the NYPD officers who failed to arrest her on site accountable, we are setting a precedent allowing firearms at protests and college campuses," he said.

Though she's a Republican, Vernikov has often found herself aligned with Democratic Mayor Eric Adams' administration. She met with Adams' chief advisor, Ingrid Lewis-Martin, just a few days after her arrest - though the meeting had been previously scheduled.

Vernikov posted a photo of the two of them to X, writing, "I can say with unequivocal certainty that we have true friends in this administration."

Vernikov's lawyer, Arthur Aidala, is also an ally of the mayor and hosted a campaign fundraiser for him in September.

Carrying a gun and counterprotesting against pro-Palestinean students, did not appear to hurt Vernikov politically in her southern Brooklyn district covering neighborhoods including Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach.

She won reelection last week with 67 percent of the vote.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:38 PM

Has a 2A organization stepped up to help with her defense in this situation?
Old 11-17-2023, 1:00 PM

The state dropped the charges due to certain back-channel maneuvers, in typical New York fashion.
Old 11-17-2023, 2:26 PM

Well, I'm glad she got off. But OTOH, this smells like politics.
Would we ordinary peons get off on the same charge?
I'm thinking not.
Old 11-17-2023, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickybillegas View Post
Well, I'm glad she got off. But OTOH, this smells like politics.
Would we ordinary peons get off on the same charge?
I'm thinking not.
Nope

Even the serialized frame would still be considered a “firearm”

iTrader

Last edited by 9Cal_OC; 11-17-2023 at 4:01 PM..
Old 11-17-2023, 4:00 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Nope

Even the serialized frame would still be considered a "firearm?."
Absolutely. Councilwoman Vernikov leveraged her close relationship with Mayor Adams to achieve this result. New York would hit any ordinary person with so many felony charges, his/her head would spin in multiple dimensions.
Old 11-17-2023, 5:53 PM

Would have made a pretty good court case against sensitive places. Still happy she got off, even though if it were anyone of us we would have be fighting this out for years in the courts while remaining incarcerated.
Old 11-17-2023, 6:29 PM

Glad to see that even the contrarian members of the King's court receive special dispensations when needed.
Originally Posted by James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
Old 11-17-2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
Glad to see that even the contrarian members of the King's court receive special dispensations when needed.
If Councilwoman Vernikov did not have a close working relationship with Mayor Eric Adams, I bet the legal jeopardy would have been far greater.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

She openly carried an unloaded gun with no recoil spring, right? It makes zero sense. If she chose to draw the gun, the unsupported barrel would likely shifted and hung out of the slide. If it was a stunt and she wasn't going to draw it ever, it would be much safer to bring all-plastic training replica gun.

I smell something there. Not saying NYPD is corrupt, but....
Old 11-18-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderr View Post
She openly carried an unloaded gun with no recoil spring, right? It makes zero sense. If she chose to draw the gun, the unsupported barrel would likely shifted and hung out of the slide. If it was a stunt and she wasn't going to draw it ever, it would be much safer to bring all-plastic training replica gun.

It doesn't pass the smell test. I don't think we have all the details.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:00 PM

Exclamation

Quote:

We can speak freely. Illinois, New Jersey, and New York are objectively the most corrupt states in America.

This is not baseless simple hatred against Democrats. Politically neutral organizations that track public corruption do not show states such as California, Oregon, and Washington, leftism notwithstanding, as bad offenders.

States like New Jersey reach an entirely new level. Just look at Senator Robert Menendez and his million dollars in straight cash and gold bars.
Old 11-18-2023, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

She was not arrested on the spot. She turned herself and the pistol in at a later date. No one can prove what the condition of the pistol was when the pics were taken. I imagine she was advised by her lawyer before that happened.

DILLIGAF
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice"
Old 11-18-2023, 1:47 PM
CGSSA Associate

The old......take the spring out trick
Old 11-18-2023, 3:53 PM

If they'd just checked Hunter Biden more closely. That actually was a recoil spring in his pocket!

NRA Patriot Life Member, Benefactor
CRPA: Life Member
FPC: Member

It's 2025. Mickey Mouse is in the public domain and Goofy has left the White House.
Old 11-20-2023, 1:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Raven View Post
She was not arrested on the spot. She turned herself and the pistol in at a later date. No one can prove what the condition of the pistol was when the pics were taken. I imagine she was advised by her lawyer before that happened.
NYPD readily agreed to believe she intentionally carried a dysfunction gun. Any average Joe (well, Jill in this case) wouldn't get such an easy ticket out. Not saying NYPD is corrupt, but ...
Old 11-20-2023, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
NYPD readily agreed to believe she intentionally carried a dysfunction gun. Any average Joe (well, Jill in this case) wouldn't get such an easy ticket out. Not saying NYPD is corrupt, but ...

Plausible deniability...

DILLIGAF
Old 11-20-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
The two-tiered system of justice turns its wheels.
Nothin new.
Old 11-20-2023, 5:34 PM

To me this reads as "Ghost of Caetano." I think some folks realized that trying to justify the prosecution of a member of a religious minority group that has been subjected to many hate crimes is going to be untenable for the state. Almost as bad as prosecuting a domestic violence victim with a restraining order that was violated.
Old 11-20-2023, 6:00 PM

Angry

Nonetheless, no ordinary New Yorker, Jewish or otherwise, would have been able to carry a quasi-concealed gun to a college campus protest, complete with strong photographic evidence, and had all charges dropped.
Old 11-20-2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Nonetheless, no ordinary New Yorker, Jewish or otherwise, would have been able to carry a quasi-concealed gun to a college campus protest, complete with strong photographic evidence, and had all charges dropped.
Agreed.