Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-19-2020, 6:14 AM

Default Stigmatism and Red Dot

Does anyone have any recommendations for a red dot optic that may work better for stigmatism? I have tried DPP and RMR and both appear as a splatter. Anyone with stigmatism get better results with a particular MOA? Other suggestions for optics? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2020, 6:24 AM

I don’t know about stigmatism but I’m familiar with Astigmatisms.
1MOA SRO works well
Old 09-19-2020, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorDefense View Post
I don’t know about stigmatism but I’m familiar with Astigmatisms.
1MOA SRO works well
I will see if I can try one in-store. As for “stigmatism” and “astigmatism”, the 2 are interchangeable terms for my purposes. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-19-2020, 6:38 AM

Also, I should have added: I tried 2.5 MOA on DPP and 3.25 on RMR.
Old 09-19-2020, 6:42 AM
Veteran Member

Wearing glasses greatly improves the red dot sight. Although I can see things in focus without my glasses, the astigmatism does affect how I see the red dot.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-19-2020, 6:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Astigmatism, makes the dot "bloom (grow larger)," so you want as SMALL a dot as possible.

2moa Aimpoint T-1/T-2 is the way I roll. My astigmatism appreciates it.

And the red dot in my Viper HST 1x6, is also... 2moa.

Old 09-19-2020, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Astigmatism, makes the dot "bloom (grow larger)," so you want as SMALL a dot as possible.

I will check out the lowest MOA red dots. The Aimpoints look great on the rifles!
Old 09-19-2020, 7:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This guy says the Holosun HS510C is great for those with astigmatism

Last edited by Paul_R; 09-19-2020 at 7:46 AM..
Old 09-19-2020, 7:24 AM

This is why they make Prismatic scopes like Vortex Strikefire and Burris prism.
Old 09-19-2020, 7:56 AM

Good info will share w a close friend who has astigmatism. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2020, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrj View Post
I will see if I can try one in-store. As for “stigmatism” and “astigmatism”, the 2 are interchangeable terms for my purposes. Thanks for posting.

Is that like "symptomatic" and "asymptomatic" are (not) interchangeable? How about "legal" and "illegal", are they interchangeable terms for your purposes too?
Old 09-19-2020, 9:03 AM

Circle dots work best for my astigmatism. Adding an ARD can also help. The honeycomb seems to help my eyes focus. Otherwise no matter the quality of a red dot, it looks like an apostrophe.
Old 09-19-2020, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWastigmatism View Post
Circle dots work best for my astigmatism. Adding an ARD can also help. The honeycomb seems to help my eyes focus. Otherwise no matter the quality of a red dot, it looks like an apostrophe.
Didn't think of this, but will look into it. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2020, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Possum or opossum?
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-19-2020, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a red dot optic that may work better for stigmatism? I have tried DPP and RMR and both appear as a splatter. Anyone with stigmatism get better results with a particular MOA? Other suggestions for optics? Thanks in advance.
Yeah, get a prism sight that is 1x with etched reticle and illumination... they will be clearer and a lot of them have focus ring for your eyes. Even low mag variable or fixed like a Burris 3x, 5x, Swamp Fox 3x, 1x, Vortex 1x, 3x... someone else mention LPVO's like the Viper PST II 1-6, etc... Swamp Fox 1-10...

Primary Arms has decent low mag Prism sights too. Could try EOTech.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Yeah, get a prism sight that is 1x with etched reticle and illumination... they will be clearer and a lot of them have focus ring for your eyes. Even low mag variable or fixed like a Burris 3x, 5x, Swamp Fox 3x, 1x, Vortex 1x, 3x... someone else mention LPVO's like the Viper PST II 1-6, etc... Swamp Fox 1-10...

Primary Arms has decent low mag Prism sights too. Could try EOTech.
Great info. Thanks
Old 09-19-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post

Man I love these. Great photo.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

With my astigmatism, I have found some red dots to be fine and others to be terrible. It had nothing to do with price. I have some very expensive red dots that are good, and others that are bad. I also have some cheap red dots that are good, and others that are bad.

I've also found that you can compare 2 exact same models side-by-side and one will be good and one will be bad.

So your best bet will be to go to a store with a whole bunch of different models to choose from, and buy the best one from their display that you tried.

If your astigmatism is worse than mine, then you may not be able to use any red dot. In that case, your only choices are likely a prism or LPVO instead of a red dot.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-19-2020, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I've also found that you can compare 2 exact same models side-by-side and one will be good and one will be bad.
That's funny.
Old 09-19-2020, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Once you figure out what type sight you want (Prism, LPVO, etc...) do not overlook dot brightness. Hardly anything (or nothing) in the budget price ranges will be as bright as something like a single dot on a Viper PSTII. Especially the fancy reticles. A lot will simply wash out in the sun... which is still useable if it is etched which they are.
Old 09-19-2020, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Is that like "symptomatic" and "asymptomatic" are (not) interchangeable? How about "legal" and "illegal", are they interchangeable terms for your purposes too?
I think that was just his way of saying "You know what I meant." Maybe a more straightforward and polite explanation would have worked better.... As posed to the other poster's sarcasm.

(BTW, just having some fun up there with "posed" in place of "opposed" LOL)
Old 09-19-2020, 1:54 PM

Quote:
I will check out the lowest MOA red dots. The Aimpoints look great on the rifles!
Smallest dot you'll find for this general kind of 1x optic is with an Eotech. Its center dot is 1 MOA. I thought I'd read somewhere that for true red dots, 2 MOA is the lower limit.
Old 09-19-2020, 2:31 PM

I have astigmatism.... I second the posts above recommending prism optics. Check out Vortex and Primary Arms models. I have both, and find they work really well for me. The etched reticle will work even with a dead battery, and the adjustable focus means I can shoot without my prescription glasses.

Note: do not mistake adjustable focus with fixed magnification. The magnification does not change, but the adjustable focus allows you to see reticle and target clearly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-19-2020, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone know how bright the Vortex Spitfires get? I have quite a few prism and LPVO that do get daybright for summer shooting... I love the dot on the Viper PST II.
Old 09-19-2020, 3:39 PM
Veteran Member

Etched reticle works well for me, also non dot red dots.
Old 09-19-2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Anyone know how bright the Vortex Spitfires get? I have quite a few prism and LPVO that do get daybright for summer shooting... I love the dot on the Viper PST II.

Spitfire 1x not bright. You cannot see the center dot in sunlight or over dark target. Indoors is ok.
Old 09-19-2020, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
the dude's got a stigmatism... what's the problem?

:-)
Old 09-19-2020, 4:09 PM

I have tired Eotech, Aimpoint and Trijicon and with my astigmatism all their dots look like a cluster of dots. I currentI found if I turn the brightness down I see fewer dots but it is not perfectly round like it is for so many other people. I do notice that if I view the dot thought a rear sight aperture that it gets better but not perfect. I have been wanting to try one of those prism sights as they are supposed to work.
Old 09-19-2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:

Hmmm. My experience with the adjustable illumination on my prism sights is that the reticle is visible under all lighting conditions. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-19-2020, 4:17 PM

I’ve lost count of dudes that tell me that their brand spanking new ACOG reticle is blurry. And then they look puzzled when I tell them that those optics were designed for high school graduates with excellent eyesight and not your old eyes.
Old 09-19-2020, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

RMR’s battery life is about 25 days if you have it on setting 8.

Last edited by crufflers; 09-19-2020 at 6:48 PM..
Old 09-19-2020, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

i was curious and so looked up the definition of stigmatism.

Per Websters as well as The American Heritage Medical Dictionary they define stigmatism as "the condition of a lens, and the normal condition of the eye, in which rays of light from a single point are focused upon a single point"

I called a friend of mine who's an Opthalmologist, he suggested trying out either a holographic sight, a prismatic sight or a LVPO....each patient is different so best to try before you buy. I seem to do better with smaller MOA dots and noted that if i turn down the brightness a bit it really helps. I do fine with the C-More and Aimpoint sights but they are distorted/oblong. That said, i love shooting them. When pushing myself i tend to be more accurate and much faster with them.

A recent article i read seemed to suggest that astigmatics often do well with the new Holosun brand sights. I've never tried one myself but they sound like a nice option especially with the solar powered function and the prices are very competitive.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 09-19-2020 at 6:51 PM..
Old 09-19-2020, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
A recent article i read seemed to suggest that astigmatics often do well with the new Holosun brand sights. I've never tried one myself but they sound like a nice option especially with the solar powered function and the prices are very competitive.
It's interesting you mentioned that. I've been noticing with my Holosun HS507C V2, that the reticle is pretty darn crisp considering I have an astigmatism. I was shocked.

Can you link the article you read? I'm wondering how they do it and if it's the future of red dots.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-20-2020, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

it was discussed in the most recent (Sept 2020) Firearms News. I gave mine away to a friend otherwise i would have sent it to you.

I don't think the author suggested that this was the new standard bearer but rather that it was a good option for people with astigmatism and a good value option in general. I believe it was penned by Dr. Dabbs who stated that he owned several and was pleased with them.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 09-20-2020 at 3:54 PM..
Old 09-20-2020, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

I always think my eyes are off when I see bloom on a rds indoors but those HS circle dots and the Swampfox circle dots look clear. That new Swampfox green circle dot looks really good even though it came with a dead battery.
Old 09-20-2020, 7:16 PM

to those recommending an LPVO, have you noticed any difference (as far as astigmatism goes) between 1st and 2nd focal plane scopes?
Old 09-20-2020, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I have astigmatism and have found that these things help so far:

1. Smaller dots as already mentioned

2. Prism sights - I have a couple of Vortex Spitfires and their reticles are razor sharp.

3. Green as opposed to red - I picked up an inexpensive Sightmark red/green multi-reticle to use on a range toy and was surprised to find that the green dot didn't bloom nearly as much as the red. Verified it with other green dot sights.

4. Reticle - Circle and circle/dot sights seem to focus better whether red or green.
Old 09-20-2020, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekeye View Post
to those recommending an LPVO, have you noticed any difference (as far as astigmatism goes) between 1st and 2nd focal plane scopes?
I always use the focus on the eyepiece but the one FFP 1-4 I had was clear like the SFP 1-4 and 1-6 scopes I have... a variety... Weaver, Burris, Vortex, Nikon, PA.
Old 09-20-2020, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

We get it, jeebus, nobody else cares we know what he means

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-20-2020, 10:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just picked this up, good deal and it's sharp

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102257808?pid=464105

1A - 2A = -1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Quote: