Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-19-2020, 8:46 AM

Default Tactical Shotgun Recommendations

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun. The main purpose for it would be home defense. I have been reading about Benelli (ARGO vs pump) and Remington. Looking for reliability, simplicity, durability and quality. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2020, 8:51 AM

For reliability, simplicity and durability, a pump gun is the way to go.
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, which ever feels best to you.

My page...Give me some feedback.
Old 09-19-2020, 8:53 AM
Communists Aren't People
CGN Contributor

Mossberg 590A1
Old 09-19-2020, 9:00 AM

My analysis: Simplicity and lack of failure = pump. SHTF and ultimate surviveability = semi-auto.
Old 09-19-2020, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
My analysis: Simplicity and lack of failure = pump.
Nothing more needs to be said.

Old 09-19-2020, 9:19 AM

When I looked at the Mossbergs, they felt / looked a bit rough around the edges. The Remington and Benelli felt better made. Are Mossbergs similar in quality to Remington?
Old 09-19-2020, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
My analysis: Simplicity and lack of failure = pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
Nothing more needs to be said.
I disagree. Pumps also fail and get short stroked. The Remington 870 when short stroked can jam it to the point of requiring it to be taken apart

Beretta 1301 please
Old 09-19-2020, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
For reliability, simplicity and durability, a pump gun is the way to go.
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, which ever feels best to you.

My personal favorite being the Mossberg. The safety and action release are perfectly located to fully manipulate with the grip hand.
Old 09-19-2020, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeTheClay View Post
I disagree. Pumps also fail and get short stroked. The Remington 870 when short stroked can jam it to the point of requiring it to be taken apart

Beretta 1301 please
As an 870 owner, I can say that has never happened to me.

Old 09-19-2020, 9:40 AM

If you go with a pump make sure to train. A stressful situation can cause folks to short stroke, as mentioned above. With a semi, make sure the ammo will reliably run it.
Old 09-19-2020, 9:49 AM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

Old 09-19-2020, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
Now, if I would get that one, I would be safe for sure.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:16 AM

my neighbor has a mossy 590a1 retrograde that he likes a lot, and I have a benelli m2. Both solid choices, imho.

If you can find a good example used one, benelli super 90 would be great too

I think benelli’s inertia semi auto action is really reliable, you just have to make sure you are using ammo that generates enough energy. Test out if you use a light load, and keep your gun clean
Old 09-19-2020, 10:18 AM

I have a Mossberg 500 and Mossberg 590A1. Never had an issue with either and owned them over 10 years..

Others like the Remington 870.

It's personal preference and hard to go wrong with either.

My Mossberg 500 has 18" barrel and my 590A1 has 20" barrel--- I prefer the 18" barrel for maneuverability for home defense.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:50 AM

You are kind of late to the game.

I would recommend that you go to a school first and learn what you would be doing with said shotgun before you go out and buy something that you won't be happy with.

First Off,, You aren't going to find much of anything "Tactical Shotgun" or "any shotgun," this late in the game. The shelves are Empty and will be for the Foreseeable Future.

My Favorite LGS is now only open by "Appointment Only" and is selling 15-20 guns a Day!!! It is slim pickin's and they are selling lots of the less desirable guns that distributors have had on the shelves for a long time, because the MFG's are Swamped and Restricted in MFG Capability by lack of personnel due to Covid.

You are easily the 25th thread posted asking the very same question here in the last 4 months. Just scroll down thru the threads and you'll see plenty. I personally have commented on most of them and tried to steer people to what I consider to be the best options. However I'm done doing that because people buy what they want, and seldom listen to others who disagree with their choices, and don't even know it.

Once in a while someone does listen and they will be successful ! (Scott)

Between Glock 19's, Mossberg or Remington Shotguns, and Complete ARs or parts to build AR's, it is slim pickin's out there.

That said,,, just buying a shotgun and not getting trained with it is a Recipe for Disaster. If you have no experience with guns I'd seriously recommend not going this route. You will be more of a danger to yourself and your family, than to the totally random and sparse threats that the News Media puts forth every night on TV, in an attempt to scare you into voting for Biden and Democrats.

Democrats are causing all the ship you see on TV, NOT REPUBLICANS and NOT TRUMP!!!. Only stupid people vote for insanity!

Have you actually seen any mayhem in person in your vacinity? Probably not. I haven't and I actually look for it constantly because my Head is on a Swivel anytime I'm away from home .

Just like Covid It doesn't exist in my Area, and Nobody has died from either problem within 60 miles of where I live.. I don't exactly live in the sticks either.

You could save yourself some money by just learning how to become more aware of your environment and learning how to avoid conflict.. In all cases,,,The Best Defense is "Avoidance"

Now if your Environment is a high risk area,,, then by all means arm up and get trained. The primary point being "GET TRAINED!!!!!" "Any gun will do,,, if you will do!"

www.frontsight.com They are giving away free training right now, and it is the best place for a newbie to get trained.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-19-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Old 09-19-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
You are kind of late to the game.

I would recommend that you go to a school first and learn what you would be doing with said shotgun before you go out and buy something that you won't be happy with.

First Off,, You aren't going to find much of anything "Tactical Shotgun" or "any shotgun," this late in the game. The shelves are Empty and will be for the Foreseeable Future.

My Favorite LGS is now only open by "Appointment Only" and is selling 15-20 guns a Day!!! It is slim pickin's and they are selling lots of the less desirable guns that distributors have had on the shelves for a long time, because the MFG's are Swamped and Restricted in MFG Capability by lack of personnel due to Covid.

You are easily the 25th thread posted asking the very same question here in the last 4 months. Just scroll down thru the threads and you'll see plenty. I personally have commented on most of them and tried to steer people to what I consider to be the best options. However I'm done doing that because people buy what they want, and seldom listen to others who disagree with their choices, and don't even know it. Once in a while someone does listen and they will be successful ! (Scott)

Between Glock 19's, Mossberg or Remington Shotguns, and Complete ARs or parts to build AR's, it is slim pickin's out there.

That said,,, just buying a shotgun and not getting trained with it is a Recipe for Disaster. If you have no experience with guns I'd seriously recommend not going this route. You will be more of a danger to yourself and your family, than to the totally random and sparse threats that the News Media puts forth every night on TV, in an attempt to scare you into voting for Biden and Democrats. Democrats are causing all the ship you see on TV, NOT REPUBLICANS and NOT TRUMP!!!.

Have you actually seen any mayhem in person in your vacinity? Probably not. I haven't and I actually look for it constantly because my Head is on a Swivel anytime I'm away from home . Just like Covid It doesn't exist in my Area, and Nobody has died from either problem within 60 miles of where I live..

You could save yourself some money by just learning how to become more aware of your environment and learning how to avoid conflict..The Best Defense is "Avoidance"

Now if your Environment is a high risk area,,, then by all means arm up and get trained. The primary point being "GET TRAINED!!!!!" "Any gun will do,,, if you will do!"

www.frontsight.com They are giving away free training right now, and it is the best place for a newbie to get trained.

Randy
Wow, what a rant. You make a number of incorrect assumptions. First, I am not new to guns. Had them all my life and currently own 42 firearms. I do know how to use them. I am only new to shotguns and have been considering venturing that route for some time. My post has nothing to do with Covid or the current panic. Your comments are not helpful.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:17 AM

Sorry, but I think they MAY be helpful to many others who might be reading this. You appear to be one who wouldn't listen anyway!

If you have 42 guns? Surely you have something to protect yourself with?

Just branching out into shotguns at this time? Doesn't sound like an "Experienced Gun Owner" to me.

Sorry for the inaccurate assumptions.

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:54 AM

Oh for the good old days before Calif turned full returd, when a street sweeper was legal.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:59 AM
Banned

This...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A295B799-4352-490A-875E-9515283FF15F.jpg (20.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 09-19-2020, 12:11 PM

I've been pretty happy with my 12g Mossberg 590A1.

It's a bit heavy though, and if I had a choice the second time around I'd go with the shower 18.5" barrel (mine is 20"). Shorter barrel is also easier to maneuver around with indoors. The 590A1 is overkill and has added weight from the thicker barrel. A 590 or 500 is more than adequate. Even a Maverick is a great choice for home defense.

It honestly doesn't really matter what shotgun you get. What's more important that you learn how safety operate whatever you end up with.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 09-19-2020 at 1:17 PM..
Old 09-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I prefer semi-autos to pumps. Long gone are the days where semi-auto reliability was a problem. They recoil far less and are much faster than a pump.

The problem now is availability. Your choice will likely be the first acceptable one you find in stock somewhere.

Some good choices:

Remington V3 Tactical
Benelli M2 Tactical
Beretta 1301 Tactical
FN SLP
Remington Versa Max Tactical
Benelli M4 Tactical

If you think you might also compete with it in 3-gun, some of the above models also have a competition version. You also might throw in the Mossberg 940 JM Pro or the Breda B12i if you're considering dual use SD/competition.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 09-19-2020 at 8:36 PM..
Old 09-19-2020, 12:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Each firearm has its own set of issues...

Some guns can hiccup should a round not catch in the mag tube when loading

Example with the 1100
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=706iig3jtVI

Any modern gun will serve you just fine If you learn how to run the firearm.
Run includes learning malfunction Clearance and malfunction prevention

Each gun has an advantage and drawbacks.

Mossberg 500 is great

The 590A1 is better to me as it has a lot more metal parts and less MIM parts that don’t hold up as well. But the 590 is heavier and some come with sights one really does not need for home defense.

Semi autos have drawback too

Some have a really really long stock as the recoil springs are in the stock. So some semi autos will be too long for you or your spouse and kids. They also cannot be shortened or shortened more than a little bit.

So do some research and buy what works for you.

If their is a local NRA members council near you, see if they have a shoot and you might be able to try a few different shotguns

Same with cal guns- some areas have shooting meetups and you can possibly try shotguns there too

Election Virus- it’s not Covid, it’s not Rona- it’s the Election Virus!

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 09-19-2020, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Everything fails. I don't care what action it has or who makes it.

Don't believe me, start attending local tactical shotgun matches.
Old 09-19-2020, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Red face

I lusted after this shotgun for TWENTY YEARS, before I finally got it, in 2008.

M1 Super 90 Tactical, kitted to taste.

And it sits behind 4 AR's, a Bren 805, and a PTR91. In a free state, the shotgun ranks behind "everything else" these days.
Old 09-19-2020, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrj View Post
When I looked at the Mossbergs, they felt / looked a bit rough around the edges. The Remington and Benelli felt better made. Are Mossbergs similar in quality to Remington?
I have both a Rem 700 and Mossberg 590. They are equal IMHO. I personally think the Mossbergs are better quality and the action gets super smooth after a short while.

I also prefer the safety on the Mossberg.

For HD, dont go longer than 18.5". Thats the sweet spot.

As for reliability, pump vs semi, doesnt matter, either its reliable or not. Period. I personally think there is more chance of user error with a pump, if you get your fingers to close to the ejection port when pumping the action, you will cause a malfunction.

BTW, have you ever fired a shotgun with slugs or buckshot? I've been shooting shotguns for many years and it still hurts. HD rounds are not fun. About one round is all you are going to get off before a bad guy gets to you, so dont miss.

Shotguns are best left to the good ole boys who grew up hunting with them and have a thick layer of blubber to absorb the recoil. Also helps if you are hardheaded like lyin' Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Civilization is four missed meals unwiped po0ps away from anarchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 09-19-2020 at 4:50 PM..
Old 09-19-2020, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

Two words:

MOSS
BERG
Old 09-19-2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
, than to the totally random and sparse threats that the News Media puts forth every night on TV, in an attempt to scare you into voting for Biden and Democrats.

Democrats are causing all the ship you see on TV, NOT REPUBLICANS and NOT TRUMP!!!. Only stupid people vote for insanity!

Have you actually seen any mayhem in person in your vacinity? Probably not. I haven't and I actually look for it constantly because my Head is on a Swivel anytime I'm away from home .

Just like Covid It doesn't exist in my Area, and Nobody has died from either problem within 60 miles of where I live.. I don't exactly live in the sticks either.

Randy
Good for you that your area isn’t affected by covid.

But are you trying to say that 200k Americans dying from covid19 is just some type of hoax invented for political purposes ? Or did I misunderstand

Several of my colleagues have had family members pass because of it, and I have had several colleagues who got a bad case. It hits home hard when it’s someone you know, and I hope you are able to continue not experiencing that
Old 09-19-2020, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrj View Post
In my experience based on two Mossbergs (590A1 and 930 Tactical), and one Remington 870 Combo Express........the Mossbergs are loosely fitted and feels cheaply made.

The Remington's feel better fitted and finished, are smoother in function.

My friend's Benelli Super Nova I handled feels as better fitted as my Remington 870. They are EQUAL in reliability. I sold away all three of my American made shotguns. Push comes to shove, I will buy another Remington (either the Remington V3 Tactical or the Remington 11 87).

My current " tactical " shotgun for HD is a Stoeger M3K.

Last edited by DArBad; 09-19-2020 at 6:02 PM..
Old 09-19-2020, 6:43 PM
Calguns Addict

For semi auto you can't go wrong with either a Benelli m2 (inertia gun) or m4 (gas gun).

For pumps either an 870 (I'm a fan of the Police Magnum) or Mossberg...but there are other good ones too...Benelli pumps for example. So if you liked the Benelli pump better, buy with confidence.

People will generally tell you for reliability to go with a pump. But pump guns can jam and be short stroked. And as long as you're going with a quality semi-auto, it should be very reliable.

Note the FN SLP is another quality semi auto and I've heard lots of good things about the Remington Versa Max...which basically copied the Benelli m4 gas system when their patent expired. Lots of 3 Gun guys have started running them and they have the benefit of longer barrel choices. The m4 only comes in an 18.5" gun...but it's a fantastic gun...albeit pricey. The m2 has lots of other barrel options.

Fighter Pilot
Old 09-19-2020, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

mossberg 500/590.

if you want to be tactical af, fn slp, benelli m4 or other automatic...
i would go with a gas driven system otherwise it may not cycle if you're shooting it unsupported or one handed.
Old 09-20-2020, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Good for you that your area isn’t affected by covid.

But are you trying to say that 200k Americans dying from covid19 is just some type of hoax invented for political purposes ? Or did I misunderstand

Several of my colleagues have had family members pass because of it, and I have had several colleagues who got a bad case. It hits home hard when it’s someone you know, and I hope you are able to continue not experiencing that
Prepare for Rant!

I'm not too worried about it since I live 60 miles North of LA County. And with all the Hanky Panky going on with Covid Numbers, it's more like 120,000 total from the actual disease. Wait til they start counting Votes?

LA Allowed Riots and Looting and large BLM crowds to gather, and then locked everything down when cases spiked. But wouldn't let people go to church? WTF?

Ventura County was forced to close down even though in the 7 months this has been going on, there as has been 132 deaths out of 850,000 people. And recently it was found that of the 132 deaths about 40 were Covid addons, meaning the person died in a car wreck or something else, but the ER doctor was pressured to add Covid as a cause so they could get more Federal Funding!!! Phoney numbers so you would think it is worse than it is. Democrats in action once again. They caused it, and we are suffering for it.

The real number is more like 85 out of 850K which works out to 1 in 10,000.That's .0001% All that have died had underlying problems that Covid exacerbated, because that's the way that the Chinese Military "Engineered it" in the Wuhan Lab! Did you see the Chinese Doctor who worked there that escaped and is exposing it? Her Parents didn't make it out!

I am out in public every day, and I talk to lots of people. I have not met one person who has seen Covid in person. Everyone thinks it is Political BS blown out of proportion so you will think Trump is the cause and vote for Democrats.

Don't be a Fool, and learn to tell when people are lying to you. There are books on the subject you can read! And it's not when CNN tells you someone is lying, there are real live tells.

California is completely ran by Democrats and if there's a problem here is is a Management Problem! What about fires? Nothing wrong there, is there? Have you tried to get Fire Insurance lately You can see for yourself..

I've been watching the Tour De France Bicycle Race for the last 2 weeks as it wound it's way thru the Mountains and Forests of France. I have not seen one burnt spot yet and they have more forests than the West Coast has. But they actually take care of them! Unlike us. WE have "Environmentalists instead who don't do anything but talk and sue people.

No, it's all about the Election. Notice, Justice Ginsburg passed Friday? Did you also notice that her dying wish to her Grand Daughter which was trotted out immediately, was that her spot on the Court wasn't given out by this President? Sorry for her passing, but that is pure Bull**** cooked up by Democrats to pull at the heartstrings of people and sway the vote.

Hey sorry for the rant but I feel very strongly about this crap!!! and that is putting it mildly. I am sick of being lied to by Politicians and that means ALL Politicians !!!

Many People are here asking about what gun to buy to protect themselves, because of what they are seeing on the Nightly News. Do you think the Gun Manufacturers are behind this?

The Democrats are threatening to start a Civil War over this Election. People should be concerned, but I say bring it on, because I know for a fact, that they will lose bloody. Except their leaders like Nancy and Chuck and Hildegard and the Obamas will not feel it in the slightest.

In the end they won't do anything because they are cowards.

Sick of being used by Politicians yet?

Randy

Old 09-20-2020, 10:05 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Tactical Shotgun Recommendations

And now for something different...

The Remington 1100, Texas Tactical Edition.

20160531_194838.jpg

1980s vintage 1100 - Remington competition carrier - Wilson Combat single-shot magazine extension - Brownells combat bolt handle

This shotgun will soon get sling swivels and sling

NRA Lifetime - Bolts, levers, single action whirlenpoppers and 1911s, baby! Yeah. | "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - splithoof

1A - 2A = -1A | Jo + Ho = NO
Old 09-20-2020, 10:35 AM

OP, I am in the KISS camp, which I think means a pump. I ma sure there are many modern semi's up to the task as long as you confirma ammo compatibility, but the versatility of the pump still makes it the superior choice in my view.

Which pump? I would say to get a well proven design that has been around for years and tested through millions of units. The two most often mentioned in that category are the Mossberg 500 in it's many variations, and the Remington 870.

Remingtons have the edge in terms of overall ruggedness when using the gun for purposes for which it was technically not intended due to the steel receiver. For example, if you need to use your shotgun as a club to beat in an assailants skull because because you ran out of ammo, and then miraculously discover more ammo in time for the second wave, Remington is what you want. But Reminton's build quality has suffered in recent years, so look for an old one, ideally a Police Magnum.

Mossberg's build quality has held up better and in my book gets the nod for that reason if you are buying new. I think any of them will do fine, but I think the basic 500 combo with two barrels is the best value. I would be fine with a Maverick 88 if that was all I could find.

I used a Mossberg 500 as main HD weapon for many years. I have moved to a Winchester Defender for HD duty due to the larger magazine and faster, smoother action. If it were not available I would be happy going back to Mossberg. Winchesters pumps are another case of declining build quality in recent examples, so definitely look for an old one if going that direction. I have two that I got off Gunbroker not that many years ago for $200 each, in excellent, well broken in condition. No idea what they go for now.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeTheClay View Post
Beretta 1301 please
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Some good choices:
Beretta 1301 Tactical
This.

Semiautos today are just as reliable as pumps. Additionally, the actions absorb a good amount of recoil so they are much more pleasant to shoot than a pump.

Because of this, they are much more likely to be practiced with – and therefore used by – women, and men who are sensitive to recoil.

If there ever is an issue, you can manipulate the action on a semiauto just like you can a pump gun.

There is no reason to go with a pump nowadays unless you really, really enjoy the abuse they hand out.
– CZ P-10 C (compact)
– CZ 75 Compact w/rail & safety
Old 09-20-2020, 10:39 AM

Benelli M3 Super 90. It can pump and semi.
Old 09-20-2020, 3:49 PM

I feel better now:

But I have to disagree with the assessment that SA's have less Recoil than Pumps.

First; which SA's?

I've shot alot of them and see very little difference in any of them. This is a totally subjective point, because it all comes down to "Perceived Recoil", which is what you think you felt.

A slower but longer push will feel like less recoil than a quicker sharper impulse even though they both generate the same 15 ftlbs of recoil. (Standard 12 ga. recoil)

Second; My Vang Comped M500's both have less recoil than my A5 due to the longer forcing cone, back boring and porting.IE: slower longer push.

However once you understand how to mount the gun and get a proper cheek weld every time, the Recoil no longer becomes an issue. There is so little difference it makes no matter in the manipulation and shooting of the gun.

Third: Pumps are simply more reliable than SA's due to the lack of variables that can cause malfunctions. Pumps don't have gas systems of any kind. They are strictly Mechanical.

Understanding how to fix the gun when it malfunctions,,, (and they all do!!!) is the key to success with either system and may end up saving your life.

This brings into the discussion,,, Training !

Without proper training, neither system is optimum.

With proper training,,, either is optimum!

Chew on that?

Randy

Old 09-20-2020, 4:05 PM

I'm comfortable with any of these

Old 09-20-2020, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

If you want ARGO get a Remington V3 or Versamax
Old 09-21-2020, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

IMHO A Mossberg 500 has the easiest safety to operate with either hand, but of want a pistol grip a Maverick or 870 maybe a better choice. If you want a 870 the older ones seem to be better made.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

But I have to disagree with the assessment that SA's have less Recoil than Pumps.
I'll say it really does not make ANY difference in regards to recoil if one trains.

Due to shooting big bores I am pretty recoil tolerant. That being said I got into shotguns towards the end of May. First session I shot a couple of hundred shells and the next day I actually had some slight soreness on my shoulder. No pain, or bruising, but it was telling me this was new. Kind of like working out with weights after taking a break.

Based on the number of flats I have gone through since then I have shot 7,500 shells through a SxS (1,000) and an O/U (6,500). I can go and have a practice session of 5-600 shells and not feel it at all.

So, it is just a matter of getting used to it.