Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-05-2021, 1:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Battle, my younger brother is over 80%. He came back from Round 1 with rash, ringing ear, and jacked up back discs. Couldn't re-up, medical said no, he couldn't wear armor because of pressure on spine. He ended up going to the police academy, and attended law school, LE, and finally to VA-PD. He loves his job very much, and can relate to incoming vets seeking help. He tells me that they keep getting younger.

From my talks with him, his claims were a long process. Remain tenacious. He did mention the importance of using key words in claim, and how it is written. Also, to seek opinions from other doctors.

It there is something specific, send me a PM, and I will ask him.
I got out of 4 years active, honorable dis., with re enlistment code 1, and severe tinnitus and dislocated disc between L4&L5 i think they said... and i only got 10%, fcking ****, time to go back and get upgrade.

Last edited by CheapBloke; 02-05-2021 at 1:50 AM..
Old 02-05-2021, 6:38 AM
Veteran Member

You have to emphasize how your "pain" affects your activities and ability to do them. Even though modern medical practice focuses outcomes of injuries on functional ability, the VA rating process still focuses on pain. How much pain are you in, how much does it limit your motion and activities? I've had 2 knee surgeries and even day 1 after surgery, walking in a brace and crutches, can barely take a dump by myself because of the stupid brace and can't bend my knee to sit on the toilet, yet I had very little pain and swelling. All they kept asking me about was pain, and if I wanted to get addicted to pain meds they would be ok with shoveling them at me. Even after my first surgery, my knee wasn't working right but very little pain. Everybody except me was ok with that. If I was not a medical care provider and knew how to describe my issue I would have never had the second surgery, all because my knee barely hurt.

Nobody was concerned with me getting to the DFAC for meals or how I would crutch myself around to do laundry, etc, Only pain. You know your abilities. On the day of your exams you may feel pretty good and move better. Demonstrate the "usual" limitation that you would normally have. Never tell them you feel fine or that you can do something. We've all seen peopl get rated for dumb, really dumb, stuff. If you have a legit problem don't down play it on the day you get examined. That is your time to lay it all out, even play it up if you are feeling ok on that day.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 02-05-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
I got out of 4 years active, honorable dis., with re enlistment code 1, and severe tinnitus and dislocated disc between L4&L5 i think they said... and i only got 10%, fcking ****, time to go back and get upgrade.

Definitely work on your secondary claims brotha. I am in the process of doing mine as well. There are many veterans that aren't willing to take any sort of disability, but in my opinion, that money is there for us to take. We deserved it.

Good luck, let me know if you need a VSO.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersapper View Post
As a Major in the Reserves, I'm going to say you may want to reconsider OCS. Look, I know officers seem to get a lot of cool things that others don't, but it is not what it's cracked up to be. A lot is expected of you, and the rewards not necessarily there. You become a manager, so many of the really cool schools that teach you some of the great technical schools are not open to you.

Air Force is preferable to Army right now, so either Air Reserves or Air Gaurd is better, but Air Guard is probably the best choice.

What aspects are you seeing that you like? Let's talk about those and make sure you have ALL the information. If you're still good after that, then go for it.
Hi Sapper,

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been very busy the last week. I am considering AFR or ARNG for the opportunity to serve, I think I would thrive in and enjoy the military environment, and the ability to learn and do things that my current job will not allow. I am brainstorming jobs and I am interested in security forces, pilot(helos or transport/tanker), logistics(practical easier to find openings), and intel(sounds interesting).

Old 02-09-2021, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthetwin View Post
Hi Sapper,

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been very busy the last week. I am considering AFR or ARNG for the opportunity to serve, I think I would thrive in and enjoy the military environment, and the ability to learn and do things that my current job will not allow. I am brainstorming jobs and I am interested in security forces, pilot(helos or transport/tanker), logistics(practical easier to find openings), and intel(sounds interesting).
Look into Warrant Officer if you have a particular skill or area of expertise or if going the pilot route. Logistics officer is a tough route since they are way over strength right now in most 70 series. A lot depends on what type of unit you are in. All units need officers. Civil Affairs comes to mind where officers often end up in the field amongst the locals, "winning hearts and minds". If you are determined you should be able to find an active unit but you have to ask the questions before the paperwork. Be persistent if nobody gets back to you or explore other branches of service.

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 02-09-2021, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
Look into Warrant Officer if you have a particular skill or area of expertise or if going the pilot route. Logistics officer is a tough route since they are way over strength right now in most 70 series. A lot depends on what type of unit you are in. All units need officers. Civil Affairs comes to mind where officers often end up in the field amongst the locals, "winning hearts and minds". If you are determined you should be able to find an active unit but you have to ask the questions before the paperwork. Be persistent if nobody gets back to you or explore other branches of service.
I'm a new officer candidate, going for aviation, and I was told to stick w/ the officer route until I get to O-3 or so, then go Warrant. I'd rather have fun with NG and not climb some corporate/officer ladder; I get more than enough ladder climbing in my regular job. Just my experience
Old 02-09-2021, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
I'm a new officer candidate, going for aviation, and I was told to stick w/ the officer route until I get to O-3 or so, then go Warrant. I'd rather have fun with NG and not climb some corporate/officer ladder; I get more than enough ladder climbing in my regular job. Just my experience
All depends. Some officers fly, some warrants fly, i.e., walking warrant vs flying warrant. Helicopter pilots could be either W.O. or commissioned officer. W.O. is usually a singular specialty, such as HVAC. Goin the commissioned rout first won't help with that example. There are flying W.O. packets put in by lower enlisted and junior NCO'S. They have to meet the standard and some testing as part of the packet. I've not been very involved in that aspect but it seems like requirements vary depending on the unit and aircraft.

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 02-09-2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
All depends. Some officers fly, some warrants fly, i.e., walking warrant vs flying warrant. Helicopter pilots could be either W.O. or commissioned officer. W.O. is usually a singular specialty, such as HVAC. Goin the commissioned rout first won't help with that example. There are flying W.O. packets put in by lower enlisted and junior NCO'S. They have to meet the standard and some testing as part of the packet. I've not been very involved in that aspect but it seems like requirements vary depending on the unit and aircraft.
Varies by who you talk to as well. Hard to lock down a consistent narrative
Old 02-09-2021, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

If you want to fly, fly, and fly, join the Army as a warrant officer. All the other branches don’t let WOs fly so you have to run a section like operations, logistics, maintenance shops, etc. that eat up a lot of flight time. Army pilots fly way more than their naval or AF counterparts. Granted, they have more helos too.
Old 02-09-2021, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Varies by who you talk to as well. Hard to lock down a consistent narrative
You need to talk to the guys that are recruiting for those slots. They will know what it takes to build an application packet, and they will know which slots are in demand.
Old 02-09-2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! The WO route is certainly food for thought. My skills are legal, law enforcement, admin, and management. However, I have been a minor av geek, and flying has always interested me, but I realize that it's not an easy process to get a pilot slot.

Old 02-09-2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
If you want to fly, fly, and fly, join the Army as a warrant officer. All the other branches don’t let WOs fly so you have to run a section like operations, logistics, maintenance shops, etc. that eat up a lot of flight time. Army pilots fly way more than their naval or AF counterparts. Granted, they have more helos too.
Thank you for your perspective. If I join, I would not mind being stateside active, but I am not sure I want to be a in unit that is being sent overseas a bunch.

Old 02-11-2021, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthetwin View Post
..........but I am not sure I want to be a in unit that is being sent overseas a bunch.

Don't we all.

The problem with that is from the outside you are highly likely to be placed in a unit with high mobilization demands. Those are the slots that are going to be pushed on recruiters and they are really not going to know one way or the other if a unit mobilizes a lot or not (not without researching them internally, which they are not motivated to do).

Then to complicate matters, pilots are in demand for mobilizations, they are not easily replaced, and a simple matter of just putting any other idiot into those slots is not an option.

I of course am not a pilot, and am talking out my rear, but I can't imagine a scenario where a pilot could find himself (especially a Warrant pilot) in a situation for career success where he is immune from frequent mobilizations and gets to fly every once in a while.