Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 01-04-2023, 9:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default The process has begun. Idaho bound...but not immediately.

My wife and I bought two rental units in Star and Eagle about 4 years ago. Last May, we sold the rental in Eagle at the top of the market and are in the process of selling our Star rental. My youngest son earned an academic scholarship to Boise State University and will be travelling back to Boise. My in-laws live in Star. We spend the last few months looking at homes in the Middleton, Star, and Eagle communities. We have been back several times over the last few years and we got to know the areas fairly well.

We are listing our San Diego house in March to hopefully have it sold by mid June. My wife gets to retire this year. She will move back with my son while I work one more year in Kaliforniastan. I will be living in a travel trailer for a year in East San Diego County.

We ended up get our forever home in Eagle. It wasn't my first choice, but my wife is ecstatic and I am happy with a $160,000 mortgage on very large new construction home. I wanted a water front property, RV garage, and close proximity to the Boise Green Belt. I didn't get any of that. There was one house that had water front, but my wife didn't feel the vibe. It was a disappointing moment when I knew it wasn't the one. With that being said, the community I am going to retire to, is beautiful, with walking paths and trails. The Boise river is about 1 mile away. I can walk or use my ebike to get there fairly quickly.

Before anyone talks to me about inflated prices and traffic, I made very good money on the rentals and the home in San Diego. And this is our last home we plan to buy. I don't plan on commuting during rush hour since I will be retired. Haha.

I will be paying half the amount of property tax that I am now and the HOA fees are about $91 a month. I hate HOA, but my wife is ecstatic. Did I already mention that?
San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
What have you done for 2A lately?

Last edited by Danodog; 01-05-2023 at 6:11 PM..
Old 01-05-2023, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Nice, have fun and enjoy your new house. Eagle is full of Californians so you'll fit right in!

Save up your $$ and go on a firearm spending spree when you make your move out there. If you are going to get a gun trust, go ahead and get that prepared as soon as you can as well if you want to go that route with NFA items. It'll be fun to look at basically any type of firearm and be able to buy it!
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 01-05-2023, 5:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Nice, have fun and enjoy your new house. Eagle is full of Californians so you'll fit right in!
Hopefully, like minded conservative Californians. Haha!
San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
What have you done for 2A lately?

Old 01-05-2023, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Welcome (almost) neighbor! I've lived in Star for a few years now, and since the boom started I sort of wish I'd bought further out.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 01-05-2023, 8:31 AM

Congrats from Jerome County!
I have a brother in Parma but enjoy the rural lifestyle I have here while still being close to Twin Falls.
Old 01-05-2023, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Nice job

Congratulations! It’s a whole other life up here.

We’re four miles outta town and are getting nervous about suburban sprawl. We love the rural lifestyle, but that’s threatened by all the housing going up. We wanted this to be our forever home but…………
Old 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Congratulations! Sounds like you know the area well and will enjoy all the TV has to offer. We ended up in SE Meridian, I wanted lakefront, close to the river and RV garage. I did get a boat bay. There were so few homes available that fit the bill when we were looking for the almost two weeks. Did a FaceTime tour the morning it hit the market and already had three offers. Overbid with the idea it would go down in value.

It is hard to buy and sell our principal residence at the bottom and top. For most it is dictated by family, schooling, employment.

If you were able to find a home that you and your wife like and is affordable to you, that's a good purchase.

Good luck with your commute to SD for the year. Alaska and Southwest have frequent flights daily.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -Daniel Webster
Old 01-05-2023, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm glad you are happy with your new home. I wanted to be a little further out of town, but to each their own. I'm loving Idaho and I'm sure you will too. Welcome!

Old 01-05-2023, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodog View Post
My wife and I bought two rental units in Star and Eagle about 4 years ago. Last May, we sold the rental in Eagle at the top of the market and are in the process of selling our Star rental. My youngest son earned an academic scholarship to Boise State University and will be travelling back to Boise. My in-laws live in Star. We spend the last few months looking at homes in the Middleton, Star, and Eagle communities. We have been back several times over the last few years and we got to know the areas fairly well.

We are listing our San Diego house in March to hopefully have it sold by mid June. My wife gets to retire this year. She will move back with my son while I work one more year in Kaliforniastan. I will be living in a travel trailer for a year in East San Diego County.

We ended up get our forever home in Eagle. It wasn't my first choice, but my wife is ecstatic and I am happy with a $160,000 mortgage on very large new construction home. I wanted a water front property, RV garage, and close proximity to the Boise Green Belt. I didn't get any of that. There was one house that had water front, but my wife didn't feel the vibe. It was a disappointing moment when I knew it wasn't the one. With that being said, the community I am going to retire too is beautiful, with walking paths and trails. The Boise river is about 1 mile away. I can walk or use my ebike to get there fairly quickly.

Before anyone talks to me about inflated prices and traffic, I made very good money on the rentals and the home in San Diego. And this is our last home we plan to buy. I don't plan on commuting during rush hour since I will be retired. Haha.

I will be paying half the amount of property tax that I am now and the HOA fees are about $91 a month. I hate HOA, but my wife is ecstatic. Did I already mention that?
Welcome to the Treasure Valley!
Old 01-05-2023, 3:51 PM

Welcome from up north.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
...He comes out while I'm at work to **** the wife..I shall name him Sancho.
Old 01-05-2023, 7:14 PM

Congrats! I'll be moving to Idaho starting mid February.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Welcome and enjoy. It’s paradise here to me.