Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 11-10-2010, 8:16 PM

Me Too!
Old 11-10-2010, 8:20 PM

Fatboy.... Glad to see you make your first post... and after over a year! As for the payment info.... Let me say again, Placer doesn't want your money unless they plan to approve you pending the outcome of your livescan. You will know as soon as your interview is over.
Old 11-10-2010, 8:32 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

I've recently had a number of good conversations with members of the Placer Sheriff's Dept., including a pleasant conversation with under-sheriff Devon Bell. From what I gather, they don't really consider themselves "shall issue", but I get the impression that you aren't going to get jerked around either. I also spoke recently with a CCW trainer well-known to the dept. and his take is that you are pretty much "good to go" if you are an otherwise upstanding citizen.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE

Last edited by ZombieTactics; 11-10-2010 at 8:37 PM..
Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTactics View Post
I've recently had a number of good conversations with members of the Placer Sheriff's Dept., including a pleasant conversation with under-sheriff Devon Bell. From what I gather, they don't really consider themselves "shall issue", but I get the impression that you aren't going to get jerked around either. I also spoke recently with a CCW trainer well-known to the dept. and his take is that you are pretty much "good to go" if you are an otherwise upstanding citizen.
At least on the surface, much of the conflict in Placer surrounds the SO's definition of "upstanding". From some of the stories I've heard, you could have been a passenger to a vehicle pulled over for speeding 20 years ago and they would deny for lack of "good moral character".

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-11-2010, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
At least on the surface, much of the conflict in Placer surrounds the SO's definition of "upstanding". From some of the stories I've heard, you could have been a passenger to a vehicle pulled over for speeding 20 years ago and they would deny for lack of "good moral character".
I have to second this remark. I'll add to it too... I personally witnessed a man being fingerprinted after passing his interview. While waiting for the fingerprint process to begin, he told me he was surprised he was let through the interview. Apparently, he had simply forgotten about a misdemeanor charge of fighting in public about 15 years before. The interviewer brought it up and asked why it was not disclosed.

THEN..... only moments later (the next guy to be interviewed) another guy was being interviewed and deemed to aggressive and asked to come back a couple years later to try again because of a couple speeding tickets and a following too close he had gotten all within a short period of time from each other a few years before. Otherwise, he is able to say he is as clean as the driven snow. So, one guy doesn't disclose a misdemeanor for fighting, and he is approved, while the next guy has a few aging traffic citations, otherwise clean, and is denied. Hmm... ya'.... I would say it is a bit too arbitrary to say they don't jerk around.

There is more here that I am leaving out, but it only goes to substantiate this position more than anything else.

Needless to say, the good citizens of Placer County, especially being so close to the capitol city, and especially in light of what has changed in Sacramento, need to have their rights restored to them pronto if a real clear message of change is going to be sent to those who sit in power at our states capitol. We need to surround them on every side and show them that more guns equals less crime. As the crime stats in their own personal neighborhoods around where they live and work during the legislative seasons go down, they will be reminded of how things used to be when they go home to their crime ridden territories. Then, there will be no denying the power of responsible 2A rights being exercised. They won't recognize it on their own, but that is when Gene, Brandon, and Jason, and the rest can go to town and make the real changes happen.
Old 11-12-2010, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Placer should be next ie the Low hanging fruit campaign

In my case I was just given the nod, and currently have 2 points and am fighting two speeding tickets with two cell phone tickets in the last 60 days. All was disclosed and discussed, and they said that if I continued this behavior I would be denied for renewal.

Last edited by thatrogue; 11-12-2010 at 8:55 AM..
Old 11-12-2010, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrogue View Post
Not True in my case I was just given the nod, and currently have 2 points and am fighting two speeding tickets with two cell phone tickets in the last 60 days. All was disclosed and discussed, and they said that if I continued this behavior I would be denied for renewal.
This only goes to prove how arbitrary it is. You know what I am talking about and in light of other things I have posted to this thread.

Arbitrary is not acceptable. Calguns will fix it, I suspect.
Old 11-12-2010, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbaby View Post
This only goes to prove how arbitrary it is. You know what I am talking about and in light of other things I have posted to this thread.

Arbitrary is not acceptable. Calguns will fix it, I suspect.
Very subjective indeed. I was told that if I ever received a speeding ticket that I should save myself and the SO some time by simply turning in my rice paper because it would eventually be revoked. I subsequently invested in some very sophisticated radar equipment. Nothing like stimulating the economy!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm planning on getting my CCW here in Placer in the very near future. Can anyone enlighten me on GC reasons that were accepted and/or denied? I've got my reasons already, i just want to make sure they aren't on the no-fly list!!!

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 PM

Irish... hey... I just bumped an old post of yours cause I was wondering if you ever got around to doing your CCW.

Anyway, I know they are pretty stuck on good GC. The best of what I know is that if your work takes you into places that are not well known to you, don't know escape routes, bad police response times, unable to avoid such situations, carrying vital records of others, cash, yada, yada... that these things have tended to work for others.

I hope that can help!
Old 11-14-2010, 4:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Well i can't carry for work anyways so any work related situation is out. But i do like to go out into the woods alot and hike and camp. I also travel down to Mariposa and Fresno to see my family and usually have to do it late at night because of my wife's work schedule. I'm also helping a friend work on his house out in Antelope, and he lives right at Watt and Elverta....anyone who knows the area would know it's not the best of places. I'm hoping they'll see these as good cause. If there's a better way to word it I'm definitely open to suggestions.

If I were to put down "Self Defense" and I was denied, is that something that CGF would help me fight? I know their mission is to get all counties to be Shall Issue and it seems like Placer is not heading toward that trend

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-14-2010, 6:49 PM

This may sound like a joke but seriously.... In your camping ventures, are there any serious examples of animal attacks on other campers in these areas during the same times of year that you go?
Old 11-14-2010, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
Well i can't carry for work anyways so any work related situation is out. But i do like to go out into the woods alot and hike and camp. I also travel down to Mariposa and Fresno to see my family and usually have to do it late at night because of my wife's work schedule. I'm also helping a friend work on his house out in Antelope, and he lives right at Watt and Elverta....anyone who knows the area would know it's not the best of places. I'm hoping they'll see these as good cause. If there's a better way to word it I'm definitely open to suggestions.

If I were to put down "Self Defense" and I was denied, is that something that CGF would help me fight? I know their mission is to get all counties to be Shall Issue and it seems like Placer is not heading toward that trend
Placer is pretty CCW freindly.
If you have to frequint bad areas like Watt/Elverta (I know the area), put that down, it may help.
The way you have it worded is not bad, just putting down "Self Defense" is asking for a Denial.
Old 11-15-2010, 7:19 AM

Quote:
They did not ask if my employer would allow me to carry, he only stated most employers have "no weapons in the work place" policies, and that I need to understand that this lic will not override private property rights. I said I understood and that when I am traveling I am not always on the clock or in company equipment or currently acting on behalf of my company. At that time he moved on seeming to be comfortable of my understanding.

Old 11-15-2010, 7:21 AM

I am requesting a carry permit for the self defense of my self and family as I often... {add 2-5 sentences here}.

Get it, got it, good!

Old 11-15-2010, 7:52 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
FYI for others reading this thread (I know Wildhawker is already aware of this one): Wife denied ccw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
My wife was turned down for her ccw in placer county due to a misdemeanor she was acccused 33 years ago, She got 1 year probation....
Every morning I say a silent prayer that CGF really will go all the way in the Richards case and not let the Yolo sheriff off the hook on 'good moral character' as they did with McGinness. I know they've said that they are going all the way, I just figure that a daily prayer for their continued steadfast resolve can't hurt.

Last edited by GrizzlyGuy; 11-15-2010 at 7:58 AM.. Reason: fix resolution --> resolve
Old 11-15-2010, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGuy View Post
Every morning I say a silent prayer that CGF really will go all the way in the Richards case and not let the Yolo sheriff off the hook on 'good moral character' as they did with McGinness. I know they've said that they are going all the way, I just figure that a daily prayer for their continued steadfast resolution can't hurt.
I second that remark.... I have to say... My personal benefit aside... I think I can very objectively say that to go after Placer now would be a very good move considering the change in the legal climate and the fact that Placer is for all intents and purposes, generally an easy place to get a CCW for many people. Given it's proximity to the state capital, extremely varied mix of rural and dense and population areas, it meets many criteria of a place to be watched... that and I honestly think they would be an easy win. I have gotten the impression many times from several people who know those that hold leadership roles in the county that the people who govern Placer like to stay out trouble/limelight as much as possible.

Last edited by pitchbaby; 11-15-2010 at 8:01 AM.. Reason: Fix broken quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This may sound like a joke but seriously.... In your camping ventures, are there any serious examples of animal attacks on other campers in these areas during the same times of year that you go?
I travel to Yosemite alot and there are plenty of animal attacks each year. I've seen evidence of bears and mountain lions on many hikes, and i've also run across plenty of Pot Gardens. There have been several instances where people have come up to me at my friends house in Antelope and tried to cause trouble...luckily, I wasn't one of the people who ended up shot or stabbed in that area.

I'm not too worried about my Moral Character. I'm a Firefighter with CAL FIRE, I'm an Eagle Scout, I volunteered at a battered women's shelter in high school, and I was raised by parents who taught me to actually give a damn...

The only place I'm cancearned (other than my GC) is my traffic record. I've had 4 tickets in 9 years. 3 for speeding, one for hitting the yellow line on a corner. All of them are off my record from either traffic school or because they dropped off after 3 or 5 years. The hitting the yellow line one happened when I was 16, I got two speeding tickets in 5 days (one going to work, one coming home) when I was 18, and the last ticket was for speeding when I was either 21 or 22. All three speeding tickets had some strange circumstances around them that kind of explain them away in my favor, and actually probably help bolster my moral character, but when it all comes down to it, I was still in the wrong. Hopefully though they'll see that I understand that and take into consideration the fact that I haven't gotten any tickets in 4 to 5 years, and none of them were ever under the same circumstances....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I travel to Yosemite alot and there are plenty of animal attacks each year. I've seen evidence of bears and mountain lions on many hikes, and i've also run across plenty of Pot Gardens. There have been several instances where people have come up to me at my friends house in Antelope and tried to cause trouble...luckily, I wasn't one of the people who ended up shot or stabbed in that area.

I'm not too worried about my Moral Character. I'm a Firefighter with CAL FIRE, I'm an Eagle Scout, I volunteered at a battered women's shelter in high school, and I was raised by parents who taught me to actually give a damn...

The only place I'm cancearned (other than my GC) is my traffic record. I've had 4 tickets in 9 years. 3 for speeding, one for hitting the yellow line on a corner. All of them are off my record from either traffic school or because they dropped off after 3 or 5 years. The hitting the yellow line one happened when I was 16, I got two speeding tickets in 5 days (one going to work, one coming home) when I was 18, and the last ticket was for speeding when I was either 21 or 22. All three speeding tickets had some strange circumstances around them that kind of explain them away in my favor, and actually probably help bolster my moral character, but when it all comes down to it, I was still in the wrong. Hopefully though they'll see that I understand that and take into consideration the fact that I haven't gotten any tickets in 4 to 5 years, and none of them were ever under the same circumstances....
From what I am able to determine, they are mostly only concerned with what has happened in the past 5 years overall, but can see up to 7 years and pay super close attention to what has happened in 3 years. As for the Eagle Scout and other proof of character... it doesn't even make a difference to them. You could be Mother Teresa and with a few speeding tickets, get denied.

EDIT: As for the hiking and camping, I would definitely use it. It seems legitimate to want to recreate, especially in a place such as Yosemite. The stuff about Antelope... they would probably tell you to stop going there since there seems to be no legitimate work reason. Who knows though.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:

The only place I'm cancearned (other than my GC) is my traffic record. I've had 4 tickets in 9 years. 3 for speeding, one for hitting the yellow line on a corner. All of them are off my record from either traffic school or because they dropped off after 3 or 5 years..
According to my interview you should have no problem period. If it is older than 5 years you are not required to even put it on the app, the interviewer will most likely ask you about it but this will not hang you up. Just apply already!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
According to my interview you should have no problem period. If it is older than 5 years you are not required to even put it on the app, the interviewer will most likely ask you about it but this will not hang you up. Just apply already!!!
just sent out my check for the training. Once it's done I'll jump on the app....thanks for the help everyone!!

Last question: if my friend pays me with beer to help him with his house, can i consider that work related and use it on my app?????

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-15-2010, 7:54 PM

Quote:
just sent out my check for the training. Once it's done I'll jump on the app....thanks for the help everyone!!

Last question: if my friend pays me with beer to help him with his house, can i consider that work related and use it on my app?????
Call it an "odd" job. HAHA
Old 12-02-2010, 4:25 PM

Word is from smoking hot Jessica that a stack of CCW's are sitting on the Sheriffs desk waiting to be signed. She said mine is one of them and at the latest I should see it in a week or two.

Old 12-02-2010, 4:29 PM

Be careful with that smoking hot stuff... She's like a sister.... LOL!
Old 12-02-2010, 5:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Word is from smoking hot Jessica that a stack of CCW's are sitting on the Sheriffs desk waiting to be signed. She said mine is one of them and at the latest I should see it in a week or two.
Did somebody say that we should cancel the conference call and make it a live meeting?

I kid, I kid...

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-02-2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Did somebody say that we should cancel the conference call and make it a live meeting?

I kid, I kid...
Conference Call? Anything I would be interested in.... HEHE!
Old 12-02-2010, 7:56 PM

Jessica = +1
Old 12-02-2010, 9:31 PM

Ya I noticed she was married, she probably wouldn't last a week in a police/fire department single anyhow. Truly sweet person as well. Hell,... she'd probably make SFSO feel ccw friendly.

Old 12-02-2010, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Ya I noticed she was married, she probably wouldn't last a week in a police/fire department single anyhow. Truly sweet person as well. Hell,... she'd probably make SFSO feel ccw friendly.
Last time I was there, we spent 15 minutes sharing games our kids like to play on our iPhones. It was cool to just "chill" with one of the "homey's" at the sheriff's office... hehe
Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Just got a call from a what I understand to have been a lieutenant from Placer county that said they are continuing to review my application. Stating they are concerned with my driving record. They said they will call me back next week.

Why the concern now after they have already taken my money, done and received my live scan results??? WTF By all accounts I should have already received my permit.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just got a call from a what I understand to have been a lieutenant from Placer county that said they are continuing to review my application. Stating they are concerned with my driving record. They said they will call me back next week.

Why the concern now after they have already taken my money, done and received my live scan results??? WTF By all accounts I should have already received my permit.
Just for reference, how many points/tickets do you have? If you are right on the cusp of being "denied" due to tickets, it might be informative to those who are seeking a CCW but are concerned about their driving record.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:

That call is a good thing, trust me. If they were going to flat out deny you, you would have simply gotten a denial letter. I'd say you're about 75/25 in favor of getting your permit. Did they tell you "any additional tickets will be cause for immediate revocation?"
Old 12-09-2010, 1:01 PM

Just wondering, when I apply for my CCW and one of my firearms has a rail light, will that not get approved?
Old 12-09-2010, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfish95747 View Post
Just wondering, when I apply for my CCW and one of my firearms has a rail light, will that not get approved?
No, flashlights are not allowed.
Old 12-09-2010, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

will they deny a gun with a rail? I bought a 1911PD with tac rail(because it has a full 5" barrel), but I don't plan on ever attaching a light to it.
Old 12-09-2010, 3:17 PM

Rail is fine, anything attached to it, not o.k. The placer co. requirements are listed in the link at the beginning of this thread...
Old 12-09-2010, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post
will they deny a gun with a rail? I bought a 1911PD with tac rail(because it has a full 5" barrel), but I don't plan on ever attaching a light to it.
The only "attachments allowed in Placer are those that are part of the original build of the gun. Example... If you add a
Laser... NO... If you buy a factory model that is rostered with a laser, you can keep it on the gun.
Old 12-09-2010, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The only "attachments allowed in Placer are those that are part of the original build of the gun. Example... If you add a
Laser... NO... If you buy a factory model that is rostered with a laser, you can keep it on the gun.
All of these regulations being unlawful and illegal, of course.
Old 12-09-2010, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
That call is a good thing, trust me. If they were going to flat out deny you, you would have simply gotten a denial letter. I'd say you're about 75/25 in favor of getting your permit. Did they tell you "any additional tickets will be cause for immediate revocation?"
no...Fullenwider said that if I continued receiving tickets, I would be denied for renewal.

Last edited by thatrogue; 12-09-2010 at 5:32 PM..
Old 12-10-2010, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
All of these regulations being unlawful and illegal, of course.
Just like requiring $210 up front?