Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andykev View Post
Rumors about shutting down anything is crazy.
I was actually getting a kick out of some of the comments. Never let it be said that the rumor mill at USI isnt as fast 10G Fiber!! lol

USI will be there for another 60 years because people are dedicated to seeing it stick around.
kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 09-23-2015, 4:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBoy View Post
I was actually getting a kick out of some of the comments. Never let it be said that the rumor mill at USI isnt as fast 10G Fiber!! lol

USI will be there for another 60 years because people are dedicated to seeing it stick around.
Without real information from the club, people are left to speculate.
Old 09-23-2015, 5:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
This .

Being told the same thing by several people that is all speculation and rumors only fuels the fire without any real info.

Just me posting what i and others were told got some updates here , and glad it did.
Old 09-23-2015, 6:35 AM
In Memoriam

Here's an email I received about 30mins ago.
You should have heard about this by now, but here it is just in case. The story that I heard is that there were bullets found at the top of the hill and in the church parking lot on the other side. All rifle and pistol ranges are closed until they can figure out how to make sure it doesn’t happen any more.

This means that we will probably not have any more rifle and pistol shoots this year. If so, we will reduce the number of shoots required to two instead of three. Hopefully we can start up again in January, but there is no way to know for sure how long things will be shut down.

Steve

Urgent notice to all club members!

Special Notice! Effective immediately.
All U.S.I. Rifle and Pistol ranges are
CLOSED for maintenance.
Trap – Skeet – Five Stand are OPEN.

-g

Last edited by G-Man WC; 09-23-2015 at 7:18 AM..
Old 09-23-2015, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
The clubs need to be provided information to disseminate... If USI isnt telling anyone anything, what factual information is there to tell?

Bottom line... Friday you'll have all the info you need.
kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Why don't you guys start another thread about targets at other ranges?

Old 09-23-2015, 2:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Unfortunately, some at USI regardless of their favorite "sport", sometimes play the "us vs. them" games. It's untrue. The perception has been both ways. Some A/P shooters don't trust "the shotgunners", and the "DAP" group is sometimes viewed as chiquish (or worse). All untrue, and just personalities. There are people who talk smack, and others take it as the truth. Not.

There is no "update" yet. This all happened suddenly, based on claims mentioned above. Thus, it is prudent and required to have NRA Technical team assess the range, to confirm or make recommendations. That is the whole story. USI was not shut down.

There may be some more updates early next week. The Board is meeting this week to discuss. All five clubs are very involved and working together.

Rumors about shutting down anything is crazy.
Thanks for the update Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBoy View Post

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 09-23-2015, 9:11 PM

This sucks.

First the only gun shop in SF is shutting down (with a transfer of mine in process, I might add). And now the only range I can easily get to is closed. So... looks like I won't be shooting much for a while.
Old 09-23-2015, 9:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm a Livermore member and I was at the range today. It was busier than usual with several USI shooters joining us but there was still plenty of room. One of the topics of conversation was "what really happened at USI?". I mentioned that Chabot was offering member rates to USI members. I was told we were waiting to hear if the shutdown was voluntary or mandated before we consider discounts.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 09-24-2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I'm a Livermore member and I was at the range today. It was busier than usual with several USI shooters joining us but there was still plenty of room. One of the topics of conversation was "what really happened at USI?". I mentioned that Chabot was offering member rates to USI members. I was told we were waiting to hear if the shutdown was voluntary or mandated before we consider discounts.
Voluntary, pending assessment from NRA Technical team. The Board is meeting tomorrow to discuss and get updates. Info will be passed to club members as soon as anything is known. Again, USI was not "shut down", rather rifle and pistol were suspended until it can be looked into.
Old 09-24-2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Here's an email I received about 30mins ago.
You should have heard about this by now, but here it is just in case. The story that I heard is that there were bullets found at the top of the hill and in the church parking lot on the other side. All rifle and pistol ranges are closed until they can figure out how to make sure it doesn’t happen any more.

This means that we will probably not have any more rifle and pistol shoots this year. If so, we will reduce the number of shoots required to two instead of three. Hopefully we can start up again in January, but there is no way to know for sure how long things will be shut down.

Steve

Urgent notice to all club members!

Special Notice! Effective immediately.
All U.S.I. Rifle and Pistol ranges are
CLOSED for maintenance.
Trap – Skeet – Five Stand are OPEN.

-g
Well, thank you. This is more than I have heard from my club.
Old 09-25-2015, 5:48 PM

Waiting to hear something
Old 09-25-2015, 6:14 PM

Old 09-25-2015, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

Chabot was very busy for a Friday today and I was shooting next to some USI regulars who had never shot at Chabot before.
Old 09-26-2015, 4:48 PM

Old 09-26-2015, 5:15 PM

I got this email today:

Diablo Rod & Gun Club

Members,

The official word from USI is: "We are making improvements to our rifle and pistol ranges to ensure a quality experience for our members and guests, and to include the most advanced safety features."

I wanted to personally thank everyone that was able to attend and show support for this wonderful facility we have, and wanting to get things back in a good and safe working order.

Tonight's meeting with USI, which like all USI meetings is open to attendance by all club members, tried to clarify when and why the range operations were suspended, actions taken to date, timelines for maintenance completion, USI staffing levels, financial impact to USI, and other items which included viability of current projects underway at USI and alternate revenue sources.

I was disappointed with the abrupt and inappropriate ending of the USI meeting by the USI president as I personally had several items that still need to be addressed on my list. Additionally, no opportunity was given to the general attendees to speak as a "good of the order" item common with every meeting under Roberts Rules of Order.

A small amount of progress was made with the unanimous vote to have USI proceed with two contracting proposals to have our ranges evaluated and reports that can be taken to architects and developers to start drawing up plans. Once those contracts are signed, we will get timelines for their completion (estimate 2-8 weeks). Point people for this effort are as yet unidentified (one of the items I wanted specified before the meeting was ended). It was also unclear if there was any formal investigation by the County or Sheriff still underway, and who the point person is for that communication either, having the right person as the face of USI is critical.

The financial impact of these ranges not operating normally is significant. If you attend the monthly USI meetings you would know that USI typically operates with a net income each month of between $5k and $15k depending on the season. During this period of turmoil the monthly deficit will exceed $9k each month. So it is clearly imperative that USI resume full operations as soon as possible. In my opinion if the upgrades cannot be implemented quickly, it may be prudent to make further cuts and suspend all range operations to minimize the severe financial impact to USI. We cannot afford to operate at that rate of loss indefinitely.

Range development will initially focus on the Public Rifle and Pistol ranges, with other facilities to follow.

I look forward to keeping our members apprised as best as possible as we work through this endeavor. Thank you for all who have called and e-mailed volunteering to help with the work ahead of us. I will do my best to keep you informed and engaged.

Bart McGlothin
Diablo Rod and Gun Club President
Old 09-26-2015, 5:25 PM

Thanks for posting Snuff. I haven't received that email, I'll check my spam folder.
Old 09-26-2015, 7:31 PM

thanks for posting the news
Old 09-26-2015, 8:05 PM

If every member donated 3 bucks a month 9K would be in reach. Of course that will never happened because most people rather do 10 bucks worth of complaining rather than 3 bucks of giving.
Old 09-26-2015, 9:08 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I got this email today:

Diablo Rod & Gun Club

Members,

The official word from USI is: "We are making improvements to our rifle and pistol ranges to ensure a quality experience for our members and guests, and to include the most advanced safety features."

I wanted to personally thank everyone that was able to attend and show support for this wonderful facility we have, and wanting to get things back in a good and safe working order.

Tonight's meeting with USI, which like all USI meetings is open to attendance by all club members, tried to clarify when and why the range operations were suspended, actions taken to date, timelines for maintenance completion, USI staffing levels, financial impact to USI, and other items which included viability of current projects underway at USI and alternate revenue sources.

I was disappointed with the abrupt and inappropriate ending of the USI meeting by the USI president as I personally had several items that still need to be addressed on my list. Additionally, no opportunity was given to the general attendees to speak as a "good of the order" item common with every meeting under Roberts Rules of Order.

A small amount of progress was made with the unanimous vote to have USI proceed with two contracting proposals to have our ranges evaluated and reports that can be taken to architects and developers to start drawing up plans. Once those contracts are signed, we will get timelines for their completion (estimate 2-8 weeks). Point people for this effort are as yet unidentified (one of the items I wanted specified before the meeting was ended). It was also unclear if there was any formal investigation by the County or Sheriff still underway, and who the point person is for that communication either, having the right person as the face of USI is critical.

The financial impact of these ranges not operating normally is significant. If you attend the monthly USI meetings you would know that USI typically operates with a net income each month of between $5k and $15k depending on the season. During this period of turmoil the monthly deficit will exceed $9k each month. So it is clearly imperative that USI resume full operations as soon as possible. In my opinion if the upgrades cannot be implemented quickly, it may be prudent to make further cuts and suspend all range operations to minimize the severe financial impact to USI. We cannot afford to operate at that rate of loss indefinitely.

Range development will initially focus on the Public Rifle and Pistol ranges, with other facilities to follow.

I look forward to keeping our members apprised as best as possible as we work through this endeavor. Thank you for all who have called and e-mailed volunteering to help with the work ahead of us. I will do my best to keep you informed and engaged.
Bart McGlothin

I also received this message today from Diablo, one of the USI
clubs that I belong to.

In the written text it refers to "Tonight's meeting with USI"
? What meeting, I received no notification there would be a meeting?
Unless it was a closed door "Star Chamber" meeting for club
officers and USI.
The lack of information and communication is astounding.
With a lot of money being lost everyday the club is closed, and winter and
(cough) the possible threat of rain to delay work efforts coming up in a few months, we need a plan.
I'm unclear what's involved?, zoning, building permits, or lawyer fee's?
I'd like to see the range to say primitive as possible. I remember a few months back around the time
of extended hours, a questionnaire went out?
I remember something to the effect of it asking what do you want done with the new open space across
from action pistol range and also asking about an indoor range.
I'm just at a loss here to understand what's really going?
All I know is we're all in the spotlight now whether we like it or not, and it's in our own best interest
to be good patrons of the shootings sports and represent our respective clubs and respect ourselves in
seeing this.. "Making Improvements - Advanced Safety Features" campaign through.
We just can't afford bickering and dissension in our ranks, it will kill us.
And that's just what anti's want. We can't afford to lose or have USI close.
What we lose, we will never get back..ever!
-g
Old 09-26-2015, 10:57 PM

The USI Board held their meeting Friday to get updates on this "situation". A course of action was approved and is being implemented. Every club president from all five clubs was present, as well as a mix of about 25 or so members from the various clubs. Everyone heard the full timeline of what happened, when, how, and why. This was a "special meeting" called by the board, so it was "short noticed" according to the time requirements in the bylaws.

The what is going on, what do we need to do, who is doing it, what the costs are, and how long it will take was all discussed, plus some pending facility projects were suspended while the range closure is being handled.

The USI Board is very concerned on the closure, and they are hoping that range consultants can quickly assess our facility and report back if there are any corrective measures or range upgrades necessary. In fact, two consultant firms are being hired for this purpose. It was reported at the meeting that "it is unsure" if any lead is leaving the property. That is the only reason that part of our operations has been voluntairly suspended until we can be satisfied our ranges are safe, as they have been for almost 50 years. Due to the nature of the the world we live in, we have no choice but to have things checked out.

I recommend any club member with questions contact their club president. At this moment, there is nothing to report until our range consultant can get here and assess the situation. Believe me, when I hear anything, I will be happy to share it with you.

Last edited by Andykev; 09-26-2015 at 11:06 PM..
Old 09-26-2015, 11:40 PM
In Memoriam

Thanks Kevin.
So to be clear are the range consultants that USI is or will be working with to assess the
current set-up and safety a private company, NRA, or both?
You had mentioned NRA technical team in a prior post.

-g
Old 09-27-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
I'm a member and never received that email nor any notice of the "special meeting." Assume the same applies to other members.
Same. I never received the email (checked my spam folder) nor any about the meeting.
Old 09-27-2015, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
The only thing I can think of would be ticked off neighbours on the hill.
With USI's expanding summer hours.. and greed, I'm sure it pushed some
anti to do the safety dance and plant lead.
Does anyone know where the complaint came from?
I say it's condors pooping out the lead bullets they get from dead animals.
-g

That's some funny **** !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Hi again Members,

I was trying to be a little conservative as what I put out can be considered an official statement (I think), but I am getting a lot of questions back from my prior status update. As you may have read on several CalGuns forums, Claycord or Facebook sites this information has been said by USI employees and officers as the range closure occurred on Tuesday 9/15:

"The story that I heard is that there were bullets found at the top of the hill and in the church parking lot on the other side. All rifle and pistol ranges are closed until they can figure out how to make sure it doesn’t happen any more."

It would be expected to find bullets a quarter of the way up the hill, maybe even half way, but it was unexpected to find them at the top of the hill. This discovery lends to the plausibility that the bullets found by the church (over the last several years, on a regular basis) could be sourced from our range and not planted by some anti-gun nuts or just general falling from the sky neighborhood shooting in Bay Point.

It was prudence and the recommendation of USI legal counsel to halt operations on those ranges. We want to be the best neighbors possible, and making sure we do all we can to reduce risk like this is money and time well spent, as painful as it may be.

The repairs should include a full and formal range design analysis (underway). We have engaged two firms, one recommended by the NRA and another through the NSSF, both highly qualified. The implementation of new range designs (architecture, design, permitting, contractor implementation) will take time and we have identified a contractor to work with already. I know the county has an 8 week backlog for permit review already, so that is a big time hit. I would expect the new design to include new and better eyebrows for all shooting lanes, eyebrows above all targets, and probably baffles down the range to block ricochets. It should also increase the berm heights in all areas to industry standards (+20 feet) as the pistol range is too far back and low. The tenant space development committee we had was going to make those improvements before it was shut down by USI, as for over 20 years Action Pistol shooters have been being hit from pistol range fragments (never go outside with out eyes on when the public range is open), as well as the Hunter Ed building roof is littered with stuff. Your time estimate to do all of that is as good as mine at this point, but when the designers finish they should be able to give us a realistic estimate.

We did not send out a notice regarding the emergency USI meeting as the Bay Point president Gary wanted it to be an executive session only, but since he could not get legal counsel to attend it ended up being an open meeting (we did not want 100 people showing up and being told to sit outside after the meeting started). The next regularly scheduled USI meeting is Monday October 12th, 6pm in the club house (USI meetings are the second Monday of the month).

We held back on our September newsletter as we wanted to also include this update info and how it will impact our various activities.

The Chabot Gun Club in Castro Valley has graciously offered to extend Guest rate pricing to our Club members. http://chabotgunclub.com/ so please take them up on this excellent offer, and also get involved in their efforts to keep their range open and operational too. They fight annually to renew their lease with the Eastbay Parks.

As you may have seen, only the USI Trap, Skeet, Impalement and Archery ranges are open and available for use.

So that is where we are at, I hope I have answered your questions as that is the best info I have.

Bart McGlothin

Email today
Old 09-27-2015, 7:09 PM

Problems with the mp range ?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

I think from the perspective of a member pretty much the plan is to shoot elsewhere for the remainder of 2015, assume that if they need the general membership's help in some fashion they'll speak up, and hope this doesn't mean that the other ranges I shoot at won't be totally overwhelmed. There's not a lot of extra capacity in the bay area which is why every range is important even if you don't shoot there personally. Kudos to Chabot for stepping up.
Old 09-28-2015, 1:04 PM

My recollection is that the roof overhang for both public pistol and rifle would not allow a blue sky view to a shooter at the bench, so I don't see how a shooter could lob one over the hill.

That would seem to indicate that we could eliminate those ranges as the cause.
Old 09-28-2015, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliedad View Post
That or like mentioned before, it's not even coming from the range.
There is always that possibility. Vengeful people toss pieces of bullets around to shut down range.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 09-28-2015, 3:50 PM

I didn't shoot hand guns. But was there every Sunday morning shooting rifle. Lot of bullet streaks in front of the 50 yard targets. Or could be from glancing off the top of the 50 yard berm. It will be interesting to see what the experts come up with.
Old 09-28-2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator15 View Post
My recollection is that the roof overhang for both public pistol and rifle would not allow a blue sky view to a shooter at the bench, so I don't see how a shooter could lob one over the hill.

That would seem to indicate that we could eliminate those ranges as the cause.
Nope. You can see blue sky just fine. And you can easily aim up and over the berm.
Old 09-28-2015, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

Having been a Diablo member for six years and an NRA-certified RSO and a match director for the last four years I can attest that I've never seen a bullet fired at an upward angle needed to clear the hill at the end of the Multi-Purpose (200yd) range.

I hope we members get to read the analyst's reports, given the lack of information that comes from the Board. I can't imagine that projos found were direct "Sky Shots" but rather were ricochets. Looking at the public rifle range it doesn't take much imagination to picture shots impacting high on the 50yd berm being defected upward.

A complete re-orientation of the range would be obscenely expensive. Hopefully this can be rectified with the afore-mentioned "eye-brows" placed over the short-distance berms and firing points.

And yeah, the (nonexistent) communications about this with membership has been pitiful.

We'll see what is said at this week's (Thursday) Diablo Club meeting....
Old 09-28-2015, 9:51 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot44 View Post
Having been a Diablo member for six years and an NRA-certified RSO and a match director for the last four years I can attest that I've never seen a bullet fired at an upward angle needed to clear the hill at the end of the Multi-Purpose (200yd) range.

I hope we members get to read the analyst's reports, given the lack of information that comes from the Board. I can't imagine that projos found were direct "Sky Shots" but rather were ricochets. Looking at the public rifle range it doesn't take much imagination to picture shots impacting high on the 50yd berm being defected upward.

A complete re-orientation of the range would be obscenely expensive. Hopefully this can be rectified with the afore-mentioned "eye-brows" placed over the short-distance berms and firing points.

And yeah, the (nonexistent) communications about this with membership has been pitiful.

We'll see what is said at this week's (Thursday) Diablo Club meeting....
Yep , it should be interesting. I'm tired of hearing the same answers that
are regurgitated from the top as if we the members are on a need to know basis.
I sure hope my dues are retroactive. I've not shot one time at USI since paying my club(s)
dues two months ago. The timing for all this is just odd.
-g
Old 09-29-2015, 6:39 AM

Why is there even a 50-yard berm to begin with? Look at the 200-yard range. Or even the 100-yard range at SAC Valley. No need for berms at the 25, 50, 75, 100, etc. lines. All you should need is the one berm at the end of the range. There you go, no more ricochets off 50-yard berm (if that's even happening).
Old 09-29-2015, 7:03 AM
In Memoriam

I'm not sure how you get a ricochet off a dirt berm?
To get up and over the hill would be like skipping a shot off cement or water.

-g
Old 09-29-2015, 7:13 AM

Don't worry.

The inspectors will conclude that they need to build an indoor range and a new two story clubhouse with a deck.

And no it won't have anything to do with the questionaire sent out a couple months ago. These are not the droids you're looking for.

And rest easy. Their primary focus is getting the public rifle and pistol range open asap. So that way they can get some money and more lead can be flung over the hill.

Sorry. I'm feeling a little cynical this morning.
Old 09-29-2015, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
If every member donated 3 bucks a month 9K would be in reach. Of course that will never happened because most people rather do 10 bucks worth of complaining rather than 3 bucks of giving.
The problem isnt financial. Its time wasted with reviews, and inspections, and permits. USI could have 14 quadrillion dollars and still cant legally do much construction without the almighty blessing of the county. Or at least thats what USI is claiming...
Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 AM

Due to the closure of your Rifle/Pistol range, the Livermore-Pleasanton Rod & Gun Club would like to offer USI Rifle/Pistol shooters the opportunity to shoot on our range for a reduced rate. Our non-member fees are $15.00. We will allow USI shooters to shoot for $10.00. They must show our cashiers their current USI Membership Card. This offer is good beginning October 3, 2015 through December 2015. At that time we can re-evaluate the situation. We would like to help keep your shooters shooting.

Regards from the Livermore-Pleasanton Rod & Gun Club Board of Directors:

Jim Wyille-President
Lorrie Ambrosino-Vice President/Treasurer
Ben Richards-Secetary
Sam Toy-Chairman of the Board
Directors-Frank Lenner, Terry Ludlow, Jim McCullough,
Carter Wreden, Mark Thomas
Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
USI has passed on info as it became available. At present there is NO new info until the range can be inspected by people looking after OUR interests. It's saddening to hear how some are suggesting "the elite" somehow knows secret squirrel stuff and are deliberately not sharing it. BS! CALL YOUR CLUB PRESIDENT. You can contact any of them via their websites. We are in the same boat as you sir!
Andykev,

While I understand your message and what you're trying to convey, sorry but you're wrong.

All members received an email that said "Range closed for emergency maintenance.". No explanation of anything.

I (when I started this thread) just happened to be on the receiving end of the DAP message I quoted in the first post. That came a day before the DRG email. So obviously the issue was known and wasn't broadcast to the members in the DRG email.

Does sending a one-liner non-explanation seem legit? It doesn't to me. Nor does it seem to the other posters in this thread.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
With 14 quadrillion dollars, USI could design anything the county wanted but, they are right, the right to operate is dependent entirely on the will of the county -- no permit, no range. So, they have to design the range according to the county's standards, whatever they might be. If those standards are onerous and unreasonable (as they are in SF), the county could regulate the range out of existent. Don't see that happening in Contra Costa, but they could make demands that are financially unfeasible.

We'll just have to wait to see what those requirements will be.
My guess is that whatever those standards may be, USI will be harassed by the county from the get go. This is the county's chance to get rid of a nasty lead spewing, EPA violating, evil gun promoting, range with all the Neanderthal shooters to boot.