Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-11-2019, 9:40 AM

Default Bought a Turkish 1893 Barreled action from Century. Now what?

As the title says, I picked up an antique Turkish 1893 barreled action from Century last month. It has been converted to 8mm. I was going to try to find a stock for it, but as I search around, I can't find one.

Can I use a Spanish 1895 stock/handguard? would it need any modifications? Also, would a Spanish 1895 bolt handle work if the rest of the parts are from the 1893?

Thank you for your time and attention.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Numrich has the flat bottom bolts for the 1893. Century bought out SSporters and I'm pretty sure they had stocks. You might have to see if Century lists them or sells the parts to Apex.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 08-11-2019, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Does it still have the receiver ring extension for the hand guard? And the magazine cutoff?
I might know where a stock or two can be found.
Old 08-11-2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
Does it still have the receiver ring extension for the hand guard? And the magazine cutoff?
I might know where a stock or two can be found.
I don't know what a receiver ring extension is. I'm new to these Mausers. The magazine cutoff has been removed.

Last edited by AlienHobo; 08-11-2019 at 8:47 PM..
Old 08-11-2019, 10:28 PM

Stocks turn up from time to time. You'll find that restoring these old warhorses can be more expensive than just buying a complete one. However, being on the hunt is fun and rewarding. Keep your eye out, and scour the Mauser boards and Gunboards. You might have to be patient to find the parts you need. I've waited years for some parts to fall into my lap.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHobo View Post
I don't know what a receiver ring extension is. I'm new to these Mausers. The magazine cutoff has been removed.
It's a lip on the front for holding the rear hand guard. If the cutoff is gone, but you still have the ring, you can use a Spanish 1893,1895, or 1916 stock.

Old 08-12-2019, 6:54 AM

Here is what I have:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1893Mauser.jpg (86.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 08-12-2019, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

The ring is still there, that makes things easier. Let me see if anyone has a take off stock, if we're lucky, it'll have all the hardware too. I'll get back to you.
Old 08-12-2019, 3:07 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I can't help with the parts, but I will offer this: I bought a mismatched Turkish 8mm Mauser for no other reason than it was cheap and I already had a good stash of 8mm ammo. On a day trip to the desert for some plinking, the rifle turned out to be a great shooter, cycles like butter, and is very accurate given the rudimentary sights and using old (mostly Hot Turk) ammo.

You can't always judge a milsurp by the price. The Turk is a great rifle.
Old 08-12-2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
The ring is still there, that makes things easier. Let me see if anyone has a take off stock, if we're lucky, it'll have all the hardware too. I'll get back to you.
Wow! Thanks.
Old 08-12-2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I can't help with the parts, but I will offer this: I bought a mismatched Turkish 8mm Mauser for no other reason than it was cheap and I already had a good stash of 8mm ammo. On a day trip to the desert for some plinking, the rifle turned out to be a great shooter, cycles like butter, and is very accurate given the rudimentary sights and using old (mostly Hot Turk) ammo.

You can't always judge a milsurp by the price. The Turk is a great rifle.
Good to know. It will be interesting to see how this thing turns out when/if I get it finished.
Old 08-12-2019, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

TRAP55

While you're looking for those Turkish parts, if you should come across a complete & unmolested Argentine 1909 Engineer's carbine please let me know.
Old 08-13-2019, 1:26 AM
Veteran Member

hambam, the whole carbine, or just the stock? Both are getting hard to find, especially unmolested. If I find a stock, I'll let you know, and If I find a whole carbine, I'll let you know how it shoots.
Gunbroker and Liberty Tree have several listed right now.

AlienHobo, your Turk was originally contracted by Turkey in 7.65 Mauser. In 1938 the Turks converted everything in their arsenals from GEW88's to 98's, into 8mm.
I don't know what the chamber pressures are for Turk 8mm surplus, but it's hot. I can shoot Romanian surplus all day, 40rnds of Turk and I'm done for the day. It surprises me how many 88's and 93's have held up without lug setback in those actions. That, or I haven't seen the ones that have. Any history on how/why your bolt is missing?
There's only two bolts that will work in that receiver, the Turk 93, and the Spanish 93, both have the flat bottom bolt face.
I would hate to see you put money into this, only to find out the receiver locking lugs are setback. If it was bad enough to remove the bolt so it wouldn't be shot, you can feel the spots on the lugs with the tip of your little finger.
That area collects a lot of garbage, so get it real clean, put a little grease on the little finger tip, and check it. The bottom lug is the easiest, the top requires a little manual dexterity contortion.
Old 08-13-2019, 6:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I have some Yugoslavian surplus ammo that I picked up a while ago. I don't think that is as hot as the Turk stuff.

As to the bolt, it isn't missing and it runs smooth and locks up nice and tight. The reason I asked if the 95 handle would work is that Liberty Tree has some M95 bolt handles that are already bent, so I wouldn't have to bend the one that came with the barreled action. I was thinking I could use the rest of the bolt assembly that I already have with bent bolt handle from Liberty Tree.

Last edited by AlienHobo; 08-13-2019 at 6:29 AM..
Old 08-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Yugo is warm, but nothing like Turk. The only problem you may have with it, is popping the the thick primers. That can fixed with a firing pin spring. If you're in the Dixon area, stop by and I'll give you a couple of clips of Romanian for your first test fire.
Changing the bolt body you're gambling that it will headspace, and most 93's you're lucky when it spaces on a Field gauge. Better off having yours bent if you gotta have it.
So far a half dozen Turk 98 stocks are available, but no small ring stocks yet. Do you just need any stock that works? Or is this a restoration project?
Old 08-13-2019, 2:27 PM

More good info. Thanks!

This is not really a restoration project. I'm just trying to build out the rifle for some fun at the range. Any stock that fits, and is cheap, will do. I see Liberty Tree has some non-Turk small ring stocks.

You are in Dixon? I drive through there often. I just may take you up on the Romanian. I can trade some of my Yugo.