Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-27-2019, 9:26 AM

Default M1 carbine- beat and ugly still worth buying?

I was browsing a local pawn shop for tools and spotted an M1 carbine in the rack.

This thing is ugly. An absolute Frankenstein, parts number mix-master supreme.

The receiver is Winchester, but the original stamped 7 digit serial number has been striked through and a different serial number engraved beneath it. Weird to me, but I have zero experience with these guns.

I didn't have a bore light with me, and the lighting wasn't great in the shop, so I never got a decent look at the bore or rifling. Stock must be commercial aftermarket because it had absolutely no cartouches of any type on it anywhere.

Overall finish on all exposed metal is very worn, but no visible rust, pitting, or evidence of sanding. Action cycles smoothly with no sticking or unusual quirks.

This may be an impossible question to answer, sight unseen and no pics available, but what is a "fair" lowball offer for this pathetic example of an iconic American classic?

This is a pawn shop I'm dealing with, so they ain't "gun enthusiasts" and there will be no support once the gun leaves their hands, so I am not opposed to offering an offensively low offer, especially since the price on the tag was laughable considering its condition. This will never be a collectors piece.

So come on guys, what is an ugly, beat, but apparently functioning M1 carbine worth as a shooter.

As an example of the point I'm attempting to make here..... a Python with worn finish, cracked grips, and potentially out of spec cylinder timing is still worth a couple hundred.
Old 07-27-2019, 9:55 AM

$500.00
Old 07-27-2019, 9:58 AM

Tree fiddy - serious in this case.

I like working on gun projects and I like having shooters not safe queens. Maka them an offer.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liqu View Post
$500.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
Tree fiddy - serious in this case.

I like working on gun projects and I like having shooters not safe queens. Maka them an offer.
Nice. Looks like I'm in the ball park with what I'm considering offering. Thanks for the replies.

With it's current condition I was thinking about going back there with $350 cash, but willing to top out at $400 (which is half of their asking price).

I just wasn't sure if that made sense. I figure as long as the barrel isn't shot out or pitted with rust it might be a decent shooter. I figure a good used stock, new extractor and complete set of new springs throughout should be enough to make it reliable.

I'll swing by there in the next week and see what happens.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:47 PM

The pawnshops I've visited recently are ridiculously overpriced for both guns and beat up boxes of old ammo.. Even more than lgs.
In the past they were bargains.

I hope he will take half off.

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 07-27-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Old 07-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Likely the sum of the parts is worth more than 350.00

Most Carbines are actually worth more parted out now than complete now unless it is a very rare maker. Would like to see some pics. But I doubt you will buy it for 400.00, but best of luck. Hope you get it.
Old 07-27-2019, 2:53 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
This is a pawn shop I'm dealing with, so they ain't "gun enthusiasts"
I wouldn't just assume that. Of the several FFL pawn shops I have done business with, all of them had a good working knowledge of what they were selling. It would be foolhardy to go through all of the hoops, expense, and additional .gov oversight to get an FFL without knowing much about the guns taken in and sold off.

That doesn't mean that you can't score a deal or negotiate, but don't be taken in by the idea that they don't know exactly what they are selling and its FMV.
Old 07-27-2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I wouldn't just assume that. Of the several FFL pawn shops I have done business with, all of them had a good working knowledge of what they were selling. It would be foolhardy to go through all of the hoops, expense, and additional .gov oversight to get an FFL without knowing much about the guns taken in and sold off.

That doesn't mean that you can't score a deal or negotiate, but don't be taken in by the idea that they don't know exactly what they are selling and its FMV.
Valid points that I fully agree with.

Over the years I've bought some tools at this shop and looked at various firearms. I've had interaction with several of the sales people there and never had any conversations that left me with the impression that any of them were familiar with any of the guns or accessories I was asking about.

However, these could have been the "help" who simply show the items, and not the individual who makes the decisions. Maybe that person does the research and pricing and will be the one who is more deeply invested in the firearms end of it. Kind of like at car dealerships, the person I end up buying from is never the one who I started with.
Old 07-27-2019, 3:48 PM

It depends on how much they have into it. Pawn shops will often lower their prices to or close to whatever amnunt they have invested, but they'll let it sit on the shelf before they take a loss.
Old 07-27-2019, 4:25 PM
Calguns Addict

You can't touch a beat up, worn out, import marked carbine for under $750 these days. Even the commercial ones are over $500.

Who knows what you can get it for, but I would seriously doubt anything under $700 OTD.
Old 07-27-2019, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I like those little carbines but from the sound oh how bad you are describing it I wouldn't give them any offers more than $550 ...

and that's after I check out the rifling /bore /barrel.

If you don't have a flashlight on you you can always use your camera flashlight (if you have modern camera) and a small piece of a white business card wedged in chamber so that some light reflects down the empty barrel.

My guess is they have less than $400 into it when they bought it (probably around 300 or less even) so it depends how long it's going to sitting on the shelf which will decide to them what they should take.
Old 07-27-2019, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post

100% valid - but you do get lucky sometimes, I picked up a Model 12 trench gun for the price of a Model 12 pump - $450 -
Pawnbroker next door to a strip club, the shotgun had been gathering dust there for years.
Old 07-27-2019, 6:02 PM
Klaatu barada nikto
CGN Contributor

The part that peeked my interest is when you said lined out serial number. It depends on what condition the rest is in , but a true line out receiver alone is $600+. Pictures would help.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 07-29-2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
You can't touch a beat up, worn out, import marked carbine for under $750 these days. Even the commercial ones are over $500.

Who knows what you can get it for, but I would seriously doubt anything under $700 OTD.
Seconded.
Old 07-29-2019, 4:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Agree. The Reno show had quite a few that looked like they went through a cement mixer and were priced at $800.00. I'd figure the barreled receiver and trigger group was about all that was worth keeping and replace everything else.
Old 07-30-2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
The part that peeked my interest is when you said lined out serial number. It depends on what condition the rest is in , but a true line out receiver alone is $600+. Pictures would help.
Yes that is why I suggested he might put some pics up if possible..
Old 08-01-2019, 1:58 PM

Well, I'm sitting in the parking lot at the pawn shop, just walked out.

The M1 carbine is gone, however they do have a Springfield Armory model 1896 up on the wall that they want 1500 bucks for.

This was the soonest I had an opportunity with my schedule to come out here, so I'm not going to sweat it. I didn't even bother to ask what it sold for.
Old 08-06-2019, 8:10 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:

That makes me feel pretty good about my CMP Certificate IBM M1 carbine I bought from another CG'er for $800 a couple years ago.
Old 08-06-2019, 8:20 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Yep, I picked up a Bavarian here on CG several years ago for 800 bucks. Have yet to shoot it. Maybe I should fix that.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Interestingly, I also picked up an IBM a few years ago from the LGS for $800. I was pretty happy about that price because the few other ones I had seen locally were in worse shape yet had higher prices.
Old 08-10-2019, 1:22 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

The whole M1 carbine saga has been a weird journey for me. I paid a lot for a "James River Armory" M1 carbine that was beautiful. It was months before I went to shoot it, and when I did the weapon did not work at all, as in it wouldn't chamber a round, much less fire. I forfeited any chance to return it by sitting on it for months without ever even function testing it.

I complained to JRA, and to their credit, they were responsive and unfortunately told me that they sold only the receiver and did not build the gun. Thus, they were not responsible for it and I have no ill will toward them. Someone else built up the rifle and apparently did not do a very good job. I sold the M1 to a Calguns member as a parts / project gun at a big loss with full disclosure of the issues.

I later bought an Iver Johnson M1 carbine from another Calguns member and it worked great. I eventually sold that to get a USGI M1 carbine, and now own 3 of them, an Inland, a Saginaw, and the IBM previously mentioned.

Ironically I briefly owned a CMP M1 when they got a batch a while back. The one I received was in poor shape and was tagged as a Service grade but was more field grade. As the CMP usually does, they made it right by refunding me the price difference between the grades. I ended up selling it off since I was never really happy with it.
Old 08-10-2019, 1:44 AM
Calguns Addict

I went through something similar buying a CMP M1903.

Barrel was shot out and the magazine spring broke after a couple loadings. The only thing that was solid was the receiver on that gun.