Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 10-30-2019, 3:12 PM

Default Out of state purchase process

OK, stumbled across an oddball (rimfire, so no scary features issues) rifle on Gunbroker that I'm a bit interested in... I know it has to ship FFL to FFL and go through the usual DROS process, so that's not the hitch

Seller doesn't want to sell to CA, concerned with the crazy laws here I guess! He mentioned something about having to be "approved" and having a window he has to ship in or ending up in trouble w/CA?

I looked at the stickys on this forum, found this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?p=6755729, post #8) that seemed to apply, and looked to me like it was as easy as filling out a form on the CADOJ web site (but the link in the post was broken!), getting a "CFLC", and sending it out?

I've got a few days before his listing ends, so I'm looking into the "mechanics" of how it may be easier for him than he thinks... I respect anyone who doesn't want to deal with Krazyfornia, but his price is right on a somewhat rare firearm, and so I at least wanted to find out a little more before I give up!

Thanks for any insights!
Old 10-30-2019, 3:35 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It is not difficult but many sellers do not want to do the extra 5 minutes of paperwork.

He cna ship it to me and i can forward to your ca ffl.

$30 transfer
shipping is usually $30

01FFL/03SOT AND 07FFL/02SOT
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER SINCE 2010
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
Storage for your CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm purchases.

MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...play.php?f=376
Old 10-30-2019, 3:36 PM

Default lgs

Perhaps your local gun store who would accept the transfer in would assist by speaking with the seller. I have had to do this many times with out of state sellers. Can't really blame sellers for being wary of California. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2019, 3:52 PM

So is the whole process online now, and is there a working link where I could look at the form(s)? Or is it sort of like the AW registration fiasco?

I can't blame a seller, if you aren't careful it's pretty easy to break some obscure CA rule or another and get in trouble, as Benitez said, it's enough to make an angel swear!
Old 10-30-2019, 9:22 PM

No law says it has to be shipped ffl to ffl. Is the seller a ffl or private party.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:12 AM

Seller is a "part time" FFL (not his "main gig", but a job nonetheless). He is looking into the possibility another local FFL would handle the paperwork (online work?) and ship to my local FFL.

If it's something that can be filled out online, I'd forward him the link, the link in the post I mentioned above that seems to cover this situation is "dead":

"To register for CFLC please follow this link." https://webapps.doj.ca.gov/cflc/addE...mentGuidelines

I'm also considering the intermediary FFL option, but the additional cost would sort of kill the "deal"....
Old 10-31-2019, 8:23 AM

Perhaps your local gun store who would accept the transfer in would assist by speaking with the seller. I have had to do this many times with out of state sellers. Can't really blame sellers for being wary of California. Good luck.

Ditto that. I have been able to talk a reluctant GB seller into going through the process to ship a firearm to me for one of my customers. Its a 10 minute process to get registered and obtain DOJ authorization. Perhaps your FFL can assure him its all legal. If you PM me your email I can send you the instruction sheet I send to out of state dealers who have never shipped to CA.

If all else fails I highly recommend Audiophil. He has done one of these for me. He was super to work with and his costs are very reasonable. Having said that, I had one GB seller who refused to even do that. I guess he thought it was a straw purchase but its not. Dealer to dealer to dealer.
Old 10-31-2019, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

I've had dozens of guns sent from a private party to my FFLs.

Is there some regulation that prohibit this type of transfer now? PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 10-31-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
Seller is a "part time" FFL (not his "main gig", but a job nonetheless). He is looking into the possibility another local FFL would handle the paperwork (online work?) and ship to my local FFL.
The seller has an FFL so they have to go through the DOJ pre-approval process before shipping. A non FFL can still ship to a CA FFL and does not have to go through the pre-approval process. Not all receiving FFLs will allow a non FFl to ship to them but that is a policy matter not a legal one.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:52 AM

Maybe you could remind him that California is one of the largest gun markets in the country, and it might be good for his business if he was a little accommodating. I know the CFLC sucks, but it is what it is and we all gotta do it. Ship it here if you're close.
74836 Technology Dr #105
Palm Desert, CA 92211
(760) 565-5935
pawnshieldguns@outlook.com
Old 10-31-2019, 11:49 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

He can request approval by fax ?
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...faxrequest.pdf

Or he can enroll for online approvals here https://cflc.doj.ca.gov/displayEnrollmentGuidelines

Answers to questions here https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs

Old 10-31-2019, 2:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It often helps to say that refusing to sell/ship to CA is doing exactly what the anti-gun people want.

There is no law which requires firearms be shipped from a FFL, other than shipping a handgun USPS.

The CFLC is all online and only applies to shipping by FFLs.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 10-31-2019, 3:54 PM

Thanks for the info, that's helpful! The seller IS an FFL, so unless there's a way for him to ship as a private party... it's FFL to FFL.

The concern is with not wanting to get screwed by "accidentally" breaking CA laws, one we all live with out here behind enemy lines! We are used to all the crazy laws and interpretations thereof... people in free states probably think we're nuts for putting up with it!
Old 11-01-2019, 11:03 AM

I send a letter with my FFL when doing out of state transfers:

ATTENTION!!

If this is your first time shipping a firearm to California please be aware that all firearms shipped to a California FFL, from an out of state FFL, must contain a “Shipment Authorization” from the California Department of Justice CFLC system (California Firearms Licensee Check), your shipment cannot be received without an authorization and will be returned at the shippers expense!

You may enroll into the California CLFC program by following the URL below. There is no cost associated with obtaining a shipment authorization and authorizations are available 24/7 online.

https://cflc.doj.ca.gov/displayEnrollmentGuidelines

Please include, with this shipment, a copy of the shipment authorization and your FFL for our records.

If I can be of any assistance in enrolling into the CLFC program please feel free to contact me directly at the number below.

On a personal note -- Please accept my personal apologies for this inconvenience (California can be a difficult place to own and obtain a firearm) and my gratitude for assisting California firearms buyers in getting what they want, legally.

-----------

I've only had one phone call so far.

Regards.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, that's helpful! The seller IS an FFL, so unless there's a way for him to ship as a private party... it's FFL to FFL.

The concern is with not wanting to get screwed by "accidentally" breaking CA laws, one we all live with out here behind enemy lines! We are used to all the crazy laws and interpretations thereof... people in free states probably think we're nuts for putting up with it!
Old 11-01-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:

“You can also request a Firearms Shipment Approval letter by calling the Bureau of Firearms at (916) 227-2665”

Have him call and get the letter.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:26 PM

OK, thanks for all the responses, bare with me, this gets a bit stranger.... I gather the process is quite easy, but....

Seller is concerned somehow that CA can charge him with some crime (he mentioned a delayed shipment, misdemeanor in absentia) without him knowing about it, get a conviction, and jeopardize his FFL.

Has anyone heard of such a scenario?? I can't figure out how CA would have any jurisdiction over an out of state FFL - unless there is some goofy time restriction on completing a CFLC approved transaction that they in theory "could" prosecute?

I certainly wouldn't ask anyone to take any risks, but this one has me scratching my head!? Is this some internet FUD that's out there scaring FFL's, or is there some validity to this scenario?

Appreciate any insights you might have.

And Audiophil2 - he's got another CA buyer on a high end shotgun also wanting him to ship, so I'm trying to suggest that option - it may not be worth it on the goofy rifle I want to buy, but it certainly would be on that shotgun, so maybe a deal can be struck on the whole package - PM me your contact info when you get a sec, in case he wants me to make the connection! I'm not giving up just yet, but there's another seller with the same rifle and I'm about to make the guy an offer since it isn't selling!