Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That new Midland Backpack Shotgun is pretty darn cool. If they come out with it in a 20 ga with 18" or 24" barrels, I just might have to get one.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-21-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
That new Midland Backpack Shotgun is pretty darn cool. If they come out with it in a 20 ga with 18" or 24" barrels, I just might have to get one.
Looks like you'll be getting one...

"One of the other innovative elements of the Midland Arms Backpack is its use of an interchangeable-barrel system that allows owners to switch their guns over to different calibers with a simple component swap. As of its fall 2017 launch, the Backpack is available in 12-gauge, 20-gauge and .410-gauge calibers, but the company promises to offer interchangeable centerfire- and rimfire-caliber barrels as well." - Shooting Illustrated
Old 02-21-2018, 5:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Neat project gun.

I would buy one if I didn't already have an old Savage single shot that my grandfather gave me. I can actually reload it fairly quickly, and it breaks into 2 pieces with no tools.

I also recently bought an old Savage 24c, but I still need to function-test it. Another neat old survival type gun.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00lish1 View Post
Looks like you'll be getting one...

"One of the other innovative elements of the Midland Arms Backpack is its use of an interchangeable-barrel system that allows owners to switch their guns over to different calibers with a simple component swap. As of its fall 2017 launch, the Backpack is available in 12-gauge, 20-gauge and .410-gauge calibers, but the company promises to offer interchangeable centerfire- and rimfire-caliber barrels as well." - Shooting Illustrated
The big question will be how much the interchangeable barrels cost. I've seen too many companies kill a product by asking WAAAY too much for caliber conversions. If the barrels cost $75 or less, I'm in. But if they cost something like $125 for a $145 gun, I'm out.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-21-2018, 2:59 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

I don't think a short barrel 20 gauge is available, only 12 and .410. Cutting down the 20 gauge barrel removes the choke threads.
Old 02-25-2018, 9:46 AM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Someone posted a Midland video, 12 gauge, flinched from the recoil. Light gun so I have to agree with the complaint that the 20 gauge not available in a short 18" barrel.

Good video though...

Old 02-28-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The big question will be how much the interchangeable barrels cost. I've seen too many companies kill a product by asking WAAAY too much for caliber conversions. If the barrels cost $75 or less, I'm in. But if they cost something like $125 for a $145 gun, I'm out.
FYI, I sent Midland an email about this, and they said: "Unfortunately we have not been given that information yet. Check the website periodically as that info will be posted as soon as we receive it."
"The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." William Francis Butler (not Thucydides)
Old 02-28-2018, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

My NEF has a 22” 12 gauge barrel and even dove loads wear on you! I’d recommend 20 gauge, and I’m not personally against .410 either.

I do have a bolt action Mossberg .410 I have had a fantasy about chopping down to 18”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.
Old 02-28-2018, 7:58 PM

Forget Wal-mart as will not longer sell guns to anyone under 21. They also did not exempt Military Personnel from this new rule of theirs. So a 19 or 20 year old kid can go to some spit hole country and get killed or body parts shot off but can't buy a shotgun to hunt with from Wal-mart or Dicks Sports. Plenty of places selling these shotguns so even if your 64 like me skip Dick Sports or Wal-mart.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunslings.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 02-28-2018, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

[QUOTE=Darto;21328806]Someone posted a Midland video, 12 gauge, flinched from the recoil. Light gun so I have to agree with the complaint that the 20 gauge not available in a short 18" barrel.

12 Gauge to 20 Gauge Shotgun Adapter Insert
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Gauge-to...kAAOSwLdNZ2nZb
Old 04-03-2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
For rifle/handgun ammo in shotgun, the longer adapters give better accuracy, and are quieter shooting. But expensive. The best are the guy in Alaska (up to 18" long).

www.mcace.com/

For storing in the shotgun stock short is the way to go. It's ten dollars off on stack pack.
Shortlane runs sales every month , different product or sale each month. The stack pack is on sale now..
https://www.gunadapters.com/stack-n-pack-kit/

Youtube video show two 12 gauge shells stored in Hatfield stock one behind the other, so two short adaptors should fit, even if not stacked inside each other. Or one longer one, say 5 inches (the bug out rifled shortlane).
The internet has a mixed opinion with regard to whether the 3" adapters can be used in pump-action shotguns:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...good-bad-ugly/
https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=145178
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=271846
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=228244
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=203476
https://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum...?topic=41782.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuEaQ4WAapo

ShortLane itself is very clear on the matter:

Quote:
Sent: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 15:37
To: [redacted]
Subject: Re: '[redacted]' submitted the form from your 'Contact Us' page

All of our adapters are for Break action Shotguns and should not be used in pumps.

Thanks

Short Lane, LLC
GUNADAPTERS.COM
Is this just a CYA move?
"The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." William Francis Butler (not Thucydides)
Old 05-08-2018, 7:02 AM

Anyone know where I can get one of these around the Bay Area?
Old 05-08-2018, 8:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
by the way the gun is 4 pounds. In 12 ga. it is going to kick you!
Do a bubba magnaport job. All you need is a drill and a sharp bit.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Gents, I never got around to my project and I don't think I'll have time to for a while.

If anyone wants to pick my Hatfield up, PM me. Thanks

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 08-28-2018, 12:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Midland introduced a 22" 20 ga. I might have to snag that one.

But I won't until I get more info on the cost of caliber conversions - if it ever happens.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Midland introduced a 22" 20 gaBut I won't until I get more info on the cost of caliber conversions - if it ever happens.
They've been saying "new barrels in alternate calibers coming out in Summer/Fall 2018" since Shot Show. I guess there's still time to meet the self-imposed Fall deadline?
Old 03-04-2019, 9:19 PM

The newest contender: ATI's "Nomad".

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/12/28...shotgun-series

They're out of stock right now, but gun.deals has them listed for $89.99!
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/ATIG12NMD18
Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Midland introduced a 22" 20 ga. I might have to snag that one.

But I won't until I get more info on the cost of caliber conversions - if it ever happens.
Am I the only one still interested in this? I emailed Midland; here's their response:

Quote:
"Replacement rimfire and shotgun barrels should be available before summer. The Turkish manufacturer (actually none of the manufacturers) have received their license from the government to produce rifled barrels). We recently contracted with Keystone Arms to produce the rimfire barrels. Please keep an eye on the website as it will be updated as accessory items are available. We will also be sending out emails as items arrive in our warehouse. We have put you on the list to notify."