Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 03-14-2019, 8:04 AM

Default MMC sight cut? (Is it Novak?)

Not sure where to post this question but eh.. what the hell... sicne this is about an SVI, maybe I can luck into an old skool competition shooter who remembers these sights : )

So I got myself an old skool SVI 2011 in 45 from the late 90s. It was my dream gun back when I was a youngin'. I would have laughed at you hard if you went back in time and told me .45 would fall out of favour. Anyways, my interests have changed and instead of taking a big loss on selling the gun, and given we are in CA and 2011 frames are hard to get, am thinking of rechambering this SVI in .40 to dabble in limited.

Anyways my question:

This SVI has adjustable MMC sights I tried, but pretty hard to search for info on this now, but can anyone confirm if these sights are a NOVAK dovetail cut?
Thinking ahead and slow walking this project. : )

I suppose I could simply remove the sights and try to test fit a set of novaks, but I don't have any spare novak sights handy and I am not sure how to measure the dovetail??

Old 03-14-2019, 8:38 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

You might try contacting Infinity and see if they have any old info?

http://www.sviguns.com/
Old 03-14-2019, 8:44 AM

Thanks for the tip my friend. This was built by a custom builder outside of the SVI shop, but maybe I can try contacting them and find an old sage : )
Old 03-14-2019, 8:10 PM
CGN Contributor

Here are some dovetail cut dimensions: https://media.midwayusa.com/productd...dimensions.pdf

Your sight kinda looks like a Novak low cut.
Old 03-14-2019, 8:14 PM

Thank you for the tip.
I see a lot of references to the Novak LOW cut.. am I to correctly assume that this nomenclature refers to the depth of dimension C in your chart?

I appreciate you taking the time to help : )
Old 03-14-2019, 8:23 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperboy View Post
Thank you for the tip.
I see a lot of references to the Novak LOW cut.. am I to correctly assume that this nomenclature refers to the depth of dimension C in your chart?

I appreciate you taking the time to help : )

Here is a diagram of the low cut [IMG][/IMG]

From Novak's site

Quote:
Novak Sight Dovetail Basics

The first thing you will need to learn about is the dovetails on the sights and the dovetail cuts on the slide. This is pretty basic, the “male” portion of the dovetail is on the sight and the “female” is the dovetail cut on the slide. The key to a good installation is determining the interference between the slide dovetail and sight dovetail. That is where the basic part ends. It takes time and whole lot of patience when learning about dovetails. Do not expect to be an expert or capable of cutting dovetails once you read the information below, this is only a start to understanding the entire process. This is not meant to be a guide to make dovetail cuts, but only to understand what is involved in the process. Receiving proper technical training and having the proper equipment is a must for attempting to machine your slide.

Understanding the basic fitment of dovetails is key. The male portion must have the same angle as the female portion. Novak’s uses what we refer to as a 65° dovetail angle, this is the angle of one side of the dovetail cut. If you refer to the included angle between the two sides of the dovetail cut it is 50°, which it is all the same, just presented differently. This may be confusing so please notice the diagram showing the difference between the two presentations.

Correct fitment is key in ensuring that the sights stay on the slide and do not come loose, move, or fall out while shooting. The size of the dovetail on the sight (male) must be slightly larger than the dovetail cut on the slide (female). For example, if the rear sight dovetail is .495” theoretical point to theoretical point (tptp) which is an outside dimension (OD) and the dovetail cut is .495” tptp which is an inside dimension (ID), with the depth of the cut being correct for both, the sight will just slide through the dovetail cut smoothly with no wiggle room. This type of fit is known as a slip fit, which is wrong for a handgun.

There needs to be some interference to the fit. The sight has to have resistance when being driven into the dovetail, but not so hard that damage is done to the sight or the slide during the installation. Conversely, if the dovetail on the slide is oversized, there are only two methods that can correct this issue. The first one is having an oversized dovetail on the sight and the other is peening the slide dovetail to make it smaller. Peening the dovetails is not the optimum way to do the install, but is acceptable if the only options are to weld or replace the slide.The Novak front and rear dovetails have been discussed as to their true sizes. The following paragraphs will explain the size and how to measure them.

The Novak LoMount® rear dovetail size is .495” tptp x 65° at .125” depth. The depth, also referred to as the “base”, is the thickness of the dovetail on the sight and how deep the dovetail cut is on the slide. The .495” base has always been our original dovetail for the Novak dovetail cut. The theoretical point to theoretical point measurement (tptp) is an actual .495”. The dovetail size measurement must be made over pins and the proper calculation done to get the size, this is the correct way to measure the size of a dovetail. Placing calipers on the edges of the dovetail to measure our sights is incorrect. We purposefully removed the sharp points for ease of fitment reasons. The depth (or base) of the dovetail is .125” from the pocket area to the bottom of the dovetail and the depth of the cut from the pocket on the rear of the slide to the bottom of the dovetail.