Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-07-2022, 6:27 PM
Veteran Member

Default Looking for a really excellent long range rifle class....

A good friend from Oregon asked me about long range shooting classes. Not specifically PRS type per se, but just a really good learning experience. He won't be shooting out of a helicopter or anything like that. He's happy to fly somewhere in the U.S. if it's a great school/instructor. It doesn't have to be a fancy expensive place. 4 or 5 day long would be fine.

I took a long range rifle class at Sig Sauer many years ago and it was pretty good. I also took a local class that was run by a very experienced military shooter and well....he was probably a great sniper and his stories were really interesting but as far as instruction went, i found it pretty lacking.

Anyway, if you've taken a great learning experience class for long range rifle he'd sure like to hear about it.

thank you
Old 04-07-2022, 7:42 PM

Have you looked into Thunder ranch located in Oregon. Clint smith I imagine would have a course for him?
https://thunderranchinc.com/rifle-courses
Old 04-07-2022, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

plumbworker....thank you for the link....looks like they're all sold out right now. have you taken the class? might be worth calling, perhaps that might work
Old 04-08-2022, 7:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
...he was probably a great sniper and his stories were really interesting but as far as instruction went, i found it pretty lacking.
It's true that anyone with experience can offer "training" and who knows what you will get. Sometimes though it's an issue with the training developed for the market. Plenty of students looking for instruction don't even have the bare minimum of fundamentals, their only knowledge is sitting at a bench shooting100 yards.

Some instructors require taking the intro class before any "real" learning can happen. Others don't see a demand, or sufficient number of skilled customers to warrant putting on an in-depth class.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 04-08-2022 at 7:59 AM..
Old 04-08-2022, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

smoothy thanks... any recommendations regarding classes, my friend is an accomplished pistol shooter but wants to learn long range rifle

thank you
Old 04-08-2022, 11:50 AM

Modern day sniper or Frank Gali from snipers hide also check out max ordinate in SoCal. All 3 are former scout snipers and well regarded in the industry.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:53 AM

Rifles Only
Old 04-08-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
Rifles Only

Oh yeah rifles only is a great option too.
Old 04-08-2022, 3:25 PM

The one long range instructor that stood out in my mind was Todd Hodnett with Accuracy 1st.
Old 04-09-2022, 5:43 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Had good experience with ITTS long range classes. Especially if you get “JR” as the instructor (he is also a staff at Modlite). He has a good style of teaching that ITTS get requests that he be the instructor for their long range, as well carbine classes.

_
Old 04-09-2022, 6:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
smoothy thanks... any recommendations regarding classes, my friend is an accomplished pistol shooter
About 5 years ago when I was starting out F class, including Long Range, I considered taking some "Precision Rifle" classes. Even though I have plenty of experience shooting NRA Highpower, its different. Inquiries here, PM's to individuals, and calls to some facilities, it seemed none really fit my needs. Too basic, more like PRS, more "tactical", others were just crazy expensive, etc.

One that I wanted to attend, and still do is by Nor Cal Precision club at Sacramento Valley range.
https://ncpprc.com/long-range-clinic/

Every person has different needs, different abilities, different experience. No one school will be "perfect" but they will all teach something. Even that local San Diego class you took added something to your knowledge base, it just maybe didn't have "value" as in your time or money.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 04-09-2022 at 6:56 AM..
Old 04-09-2022, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

great information.....really appreciate everyone's help.
smoothy, as always you raise some very good points.
Old 04-11-2022, 2:27 AM

Tyler Hughes
maxordinate.com