Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-14-2022, 7:43 PM

Backstory:
I applied on Monday, my initial interview was scheduled for August 30. On Tuesday I was able to reschedule my interview for Aug 2nd. Which leads me to yesterday. I checked Permitium (wanting to see if I could reschedule closer) only to realize that my initial interview is scheduled for April 30th!

Today I received an email.
The notes in the email stated that I upload my:
- Live Scan
- Training Certification
- Some other documents relating to me specifically (doesn't relate to my good cause)

I am inclined to believe that this is a good sign. But I have not read anywhere/ heard of any situation where they ask you to upload training, and the Live Scan before the initial interview. What do you guys make of this situation? Would you guys sign up for training/start your live scan before your interview?
Old 04-14-2022, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, you can
Seems like you may have been conditionally approved and OCSD is being proactive by getting everything taken care of (livescam is taking the longest)

Old 04-15-2022, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Yes, you can
Seems like you may have been conditionally approved and OCSD is being proactive by getting everything taken care of (livescam is taking the longest)
Do I Just get the Live Scan form from the OCSD website?
Old 04-15-2022, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamejason View Post
Do I Just get the Live Scan form from the OCSD website?
When you submit an application, you can print it out. It should have the live scan form in there.

Old 04-16-2022, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW-484 View Post
@Dawgcasa

Thank you, appreciate the info. I think we're in a very similar GC statement.

Good luck, be safe.
I just received my new permit in the mail, and it did answer one remaining question I had: OCSD correctly put the new issuance/expiration date at the expiration date in late May of my current permit … even though it was approved April 10th. I was concerned that if the new issuance would be concurrent with the approval that I’d effectively move up my new expiration by two months (i.e., effective duration of 22 months, not 24 months). So I’m effectively covered for the next 26 months. Hopefully NYSRPA v Bruen is decided correctly this year, and by 2024 we can go back to the simple days of “lawful self defense” as the GC statement like back in 2012 immediately after Peruta’s three judge panel opinion issued.

Last edited by dawgcasa; 04-16-2022 at 6:58 AM..
Old 04-18-2022, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Backstory:
I applied on Monday, my initial interview was scheduled for August 30. On Tuesday I was able to reschedule my interview for Aug 2nd. Which leads me to yesterday. I checked Permitium (wanting to see if I could reschedule closer) only to realize that my initial interview is scheduled for April 30th!

- Live Scan
- Training Certification
- Some other documents relating to me specifically (doesn't relate to my good cause)

I am inclined to believe that this is a good sign. But I have not read anywhere/ heard of any situation where they ask you to upload training, and the Live Scan before the initial interview. What do you guys make of this situation? Would you guys sign up for training/start your live scan before your interview?
I literally just got the same email this morning Jason, hope it go all well for the both of us !
Old 04-18-2022, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzobeyyzz View Post
I literally just got the same email this morning Jason, hope it go all well for the both of us !
Heck yeah, lets hope for the best!
Old 04-18-2022, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Backstory:

- Live Scan
- Training Certification

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzobeyyzz View Post
Here’s why this is good….

Quote:
CA PEN 26165. (a) For new license applicants, the course of training for issuance of a license under Section 26150 or 26155 may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority that meets all of the following criteria:[…]

(e) The applicant shall not be required to pay for any training courses prior to the determination of good cause being made pursuant to Section 26202.
You can take the training anytime you want, but if you do it before the IA authorizes/requires it, you are at risk for the costs should your GC be rejected.

Since the IA is requiring you upload the training cert, it would seem they have approved your GC.

Congrats! Now, on to criminal history…..
Old 04-18-2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Here’s why this is good….

You can take the training anytime you want, but if you do it before the IA authorizes/requires it, you are at risk for the costs should your GC be rejected.

Since the IA is requiring you upload the training cert, it would seem they have approved your GC.

Congrats! Now, on to criminal history…..
Thank you sir ! I’m excited 👍🏼👍🏼
Old 04-18-2022, 8:16 PM

Got my interview next month. Out of curiosity I checked if there were any dates available sooner, there are none. All the available dates are after August 10. I've waited this long so I can wait another 2 and a half weeks.

I did my ccw training at artemis last week. There's some money at risk if I get denied, but I hear that oc has a 98% approval rate and I have a clean record.

I did get an email a month ago to upload a log of the hikes I have done and to upload any news articles that makes me believe that there is a threat when I go on hikes. If you hike in the oc or in the San Gabriel's it's not hard to find articles of mountain lion sightings, encounters, and some criminal activity along the trails in recent years.
Old 04-26-2022, 4:32 PM
Supreme Member
CGN Contributor

Hello all,

After having a CCW for many years (and multiple renewals) as a business owner, I closed my business, and recently submitted my CCW renewal indicating that I am a regular employee of a company.

They just got back to me requesting an "employment verification letter from employer stating your current job duties signed and dated on a company letterhead."

I have always referenced my job duties in my GC. The duties in my new job are largely the same as they were when I owned my business. But I am a little concerned about going to my new employer and asking for a letter.

Has anyone else had to provide this sort of letter recently? Do you think a generic "to whom it may concern" letter would suffice? Has anyone ever heard of the OCSD contacting an employer?

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-26-2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potguts View Post
Hello all,

After having a CCW for many years (and multiple renewals) as a business owner, I closed my business, and recently submitted my CCW renewal indicating that I am a regular employee of a company.

They just got back to me requesting an "employment verification letter from employer stating your current job duties signed and dated on a company letterhead."

I have always referenced my job duties in my GC. The duties in my new job are largely the same as they were when I owned my business. But I am a little concerned about going to my new employer and asking for a letter.

Has anyone else had to provide this sort of letter recently? Do you think a generic "to whom it may concern" letter would suffice? Has anyone ever heard of the OCSD contacting an employer?

Thanks for any input.

You can provide them with a current paystub and product build lists including pricing of expensive equipment that you transport and/or work with, that has worked in the past. No different than a photographer with expensive photography equipment.

Active Junky - Use my link to join, we both get $10.
https://www.activejunky.com/invite/203490
Old 04-26-2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks for any input.
OCSD is well known to readily issue for recreational activities … hiking, bicycling, adventure motorcycling, etc. … so why bother with bringing your employment status into the equation?
Old 04-26-2022, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcasa View Post
OCSD is well known to readily issue for recreational activities … hiking, bicycling, adventure motorcycling, etc. … so why bother with bringing your employment status into the equation?
If you need to carry at work or carrying at work is part of your job…

Old 04-28-2022, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks for any input.
My GC was some what job related also.
I work for a large corporation.
I simply e-mailed HR and told them that I needed an employment verification letter. They e-mailed me one on a corporate letter head the next day. No problems with the OCSD.

If you are concerned about your company finding out about your intentions, tell them that you are applying for a home loan or something like that.
Some times banks will want a verification of employment
Old 04-28-2022, 7:32 PM

Literally, 100% same position as you. I DM'd you.

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-28-2022, 8:21 PM

My 2022 CCW Renewal Timeline

Total Time: 55 DAYS (business) 79 DAYS (total)
Date of uploading renewal packet to receiving license in mail

Expiration date: 05/14/2022

02/06/2022 (97 days before expiration) - Completed 4-hour CCW permit renewal class for two pistols, same two as original permit

02/08/2022 - (95 days before expiration) - OCSD Permitium website: Uploaded Renewal CCW application package containing same good cause statement as original in 2020 and the renewal class certificate of completion.

02/28/2022 - (75 days before expiration) - Received email from OCSD CCW unit reminding my permit was expiring "soon", but to disregard if I've already submitted a renewal request.

03/18/2022 - (57 days before expiration) - Called OCSD CCW unit and spoke to a friendly employee who confirmed receipt of my renewal packet and the renewal application would likely be processed in early/mid April.

04/21/2022 - (23 days before expiration) - Received email from OCSD CCW explaining: my renewal application was incomplete and missing required documents. The required documents were "- Good cause supporting documents: Employment Verification Letter (A letter from your supervisor listing your job duties, on company letter head signed and dated.) along with recent pay stub." The requested documents below must be received by 5/5/2022. If the documents are not received as of the date given, your application will be withdrawn."

04/23/2022 - (21 days before expiration) - OCSD Permitium website: Uploaded additional required documents: letter from my supervisor listing my job duties, on company letter head signed and dated, along with recent pay stub

04/23/2022 - Received email approximately 15 minutes later: "Congratulations! Your application for a Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) License has been approved and is ready for issuance." with instructions to call the CCW unit and provide payment, or wait and someone would call me. I called them, gave payment info over the phone and was offered to pick up in person or they would mail it via US Postal Service. Since it was Saturday, and my expired date was still 21 days away, I asked them to mail it.

04/28/2022 - (16 days before expiration) - Received envelope from OCSD with new CCW license (hard card with same photo as original in 2020, 8.5 x 11 paper license and a stapled receipt.

This seems like a reasonable amount of time considering you're being responsible and attentive with the process. Very professional and convenient experience in my opinion.

Last edited by MW-484; 04-29-2022 at 6:09 AM.. Reason: Font size
Old 04-30-2022, 1:32 PM
Supreme Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
My GC was some what job related also.
I work for a large corporation.
I simply e-mailed HR and told them that I needed an employment verification letter. They e-mailed me one on a corporate letter head the next day. No problems with the OCSD.

If you are concerned about your company finding out about your intentions, tell them that you are applying for a home loan or something like that.
Some times banks will want a verification of employment
I ended up just calling the CCW dept, and they were very accommodating, they let me provide a copy of the offer letter I got for the new job, along with a copy of one of my professional licenses. I uploaded those docs and they approved it within an hour. Big thumbs up to the CCW dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcasa View Post
I originally applied many years ago, when the standards were a little tighter, and I have basically just continued to use the same GC with a few modifications each year. But yeah, next time around I will probably cut it down a bit.

Thanks everyone for the replies and DM's. Great community here.
Old 05-01-2022, 1:43 PM

Quote:
[B]04/28/2022 - (16 days before expiration)Received envelope from OCSD with new CCW license (hard card with same photo as original in 2020, 8.5 x 11 paper license and a stapled receipt.
Insert record scratching sound here!

Wait! What? An 8.5x11 paper license? That is the first I have heard of that. Did they say anything about that being the official license as opposed to the card? That is what they tell you in San Diego, but the paper license is much smaller.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 05-01-2022, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
Insert record scratching sound here!

Wait! What? An 8.5x11 paper license? That is the first I have heard of that. Did they say anything about that being the official license as opposed to the card? That is what they tell you in San Diego, but the paper license is much smaller.
They issue the rice paper DOJ version printed on a 8.5x11” paper. You can cut it out if needed (especially if you carry any of the firearms not listed on the license card).

But the card is still issued as well.

Old 05-01-2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:

04/28/2022 - (16 days before expiration) - Received envelope from OCSD with new CCW license (hard card with same photo as original in 2020, 8.5 x 11 paper license and a stapled receipt.
The paper permit is for in case you loose the physical card, it is just a backup to use temporarily when waiting on a replacement physical card. At least, that is what I was told.

Old 05-04-2022, 9:00 AM

Update: I had my interview on the 30th. Super simple. They basically just asked me the questions I already answered on the initial application. In less than 10 min I was done.

Timeline:
April 12 - Initial Application, 2 forms for proof of residency, DL

April 14 - Added additional requested information

April 15 - Live Scan Initiated (CA/Federal Finished same day)

April 22 - Completed/Uploaded Training (Was asked to do this before the interview, same with the live scan)

April 30 - Interview/uploaded live scan form

May 5-? - Now we wait...
Old 05-16-2022, 12:50 PM

Received a call from the Sergeant in charge of processing all applications and she gave me an informal denial.

Said that previous assaults and fear of safety are not good enough cause to issue a CCW. Upon mentioning I have an RO in place she said "If previous assaults were good enough cause to issue a CCW, everyone in OC would seek one."

She said they typically issue CCW's to people whose GC statements say they travel in sketchy areas for work, or are avid outdoorsmen hiking where there are dangerous animals like mountain lions.

She said she called me advise I withdraw the application in order to not receive a formal denial that would be a red flag on any application that came after. I stated I would resubmit with additional information and she said to give it some time before resubmitting. I said I would resubmit in a week she said that is not enough time. I asked if a month was long enough and she said she cannot advise on adequate timelines.

I am under the impression she will formally deny me at her leisure moving forward.

I was told that "There are ways of seeking protection other than carrying a firearm"

One of the gangbangers I have an RO against was let out of prison early due to Proposition 57 and killed two people this year

This is a big shift from my previous experience when OCSD had the pre-Permitium system.

Last edited by aeronaut; 05-16-2022 at 2:53 PM..
Old 05-16-2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
...Said that previous assaults and fear of safety are not good enough cause to issue a CCW. Upon mentioning I have an RO in place she said "If previous assaults were good enough cause to issue a CCW, everyone in OC would seek one."

She said they typically issue CCW's to people whose GC statements say they travel in sketchy areas for work, or are avid outdoorsmen hiking where there are dangerous animals like mountain lions.

She said she called me advise I withdraw the application in order to not receive a formal denial that would be a red flag on any application that came after....
That is so upside down compared to every jurisdiction I am aware of. Most are more likely to grant for previous assaults and RO's than for recreational risks. Documented risks of violence are usually considered the highest priority. Also, as far as I know no jurisdiction considers denial for lack of good cause a red flag. This is completely different from a denial for prior law breaking.

Is this one deputy just an outlier, or policy throughout the department. How does this match the experience of others in OC?

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 05-16-2022, 6:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I agree with what MajorCaliber said. History of threats/violence with ROs should pass even in places like SF and Alameda county.

Q: Did you read all my posts in my CCW Application Advice thread pinned at the top of the forum before applying? If not, do that.

Either way wait for the SCOTUS decision in the NYSRPA carry case before applying or reapplying. That decision should come before July 1st
https://www.kevinjensen4sheriff.com/
Re-elect Los Angeles County Sheriff Villanueva!

https://alexvillanueva.org/
240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.
Old 05-17-2022, 4:21 AM

Hey guys. When can I apply for a renewal? And how early can I take my training class for the renewal application? I recall seeing this information on both the OCSD and Permitium websites but I don't see it anymore.
Old 05-17-2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoo View Post
Hey guys. When can I apply for a renewal? And how early can I take my training class for the renewal application? I recall seeing this information on both the OCSD and Permitium websites but I don't see it anymore.

I renewed last year and they were still telling us to renew 90-days out from when your permit expires, but I did that and I didn’t get my renewal until a little over the 120-day (4.5 month) mark. Training certs expire, talk to your trainer about when their certs expire.