Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 03-11-2019, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Default Little "pocket-model" 1849 Colt.

Colt had already gone broke twice when his fortunes were finally and permanently altered with the introduction of the little "Pocket-Model" 1849 in .31"
His first true "best seller."

Sales exceeded 336,000 examples with production spanning 1850 to 1873. At least 11,000 were manufactured overseas in London - making it the widest-reaching Colt product up to that time and a true commercial success for the gunmaker.

I found this beat-up and fixe- up little number and the price was right.

All numbers on show are matching.
Except for a replacement cylinder wedge.
Solid mechanism lock-up on a no-wobble barrel - no half cock sadly.
Some cosmetic repair to barrel.
Address and patent inscriptions are good.
Also a fair amount of the cylinder roll still visible.

From Colt Serial number data on this revolver 213285:
Year of Manufacture 1862 Model 1849 POCKET (.31 CALIBER WITH STAGECOACH SCENE ON CYLINDER)

Here is an image with a First Model Dragoon for scale.

Last edited by pitfighter; 03-11-2019 at 10:00 PM..
Old 03-11-2019, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

That is extremely cool!

I've owned an 1860 Colt black powder revolver ( in .44 caliber) before but it was only a reproduction.

Since then I've preferred the look of the smaller 31 caliber Colts, like yours.

I'm not saying you couldn't carry one of the bigger .44s around on a daily basis but I think it would be easier if you were on a horse most of the day.

And maybe a really big horse if you get one of those much larger and heavier Colt Walker revolvers.
Old 03-11-2019, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks ~ !

I agree with you, it would be an easy revolver to carry discreetly - and as opposed to positioning to sell to cavalry units and the army, Colt focused on the Gold Miners and men in search of their fortunes, the reason I believe for the Pocket model's massive success.

The big Dragoon was originally issued in pairs, they would fit a holster that was mounted on your horses saddle, with a revolver either side of the pommel.

Here's a character who chose to carry two dragoons in his belt.

The 1860 Army is a very nice design - mine is in the picture below.
In size the 1860 is still larger than the 1851 -
#My Colt 1860 Army serial - is listed on the Colt Site as being manufactured 1862.
#My Colt First Model Dragoon - is listed on the Colt Site as being manufactured 1849.
(If it's a period copy they may have copied an original and pilfered its numbers.)

With 1851's.

Colt Pocket Model 1849 - 213285
Colt Site data: Year of Manufacture 1862 Model 1849 POCKET (.31 CALIBER WITH STAGECOACH SCENE ON CYLINDER)

Colt Dragoon First Model of 1849 - 7496
Colt Site data: Year of Manufacture 1849 Model 1ST MODEL DRAGOON

Colt Army Model of 1860 - 56144
Colt Site data: Year of Manufacture 1862 Model 1860 ARMY (.44 CALIBER WITH NAVAL ENGAGEMENT SCENE ON CYLINDER)

Colt Navy Model of 1851 - 212172
Colt Site data: Year of Manufacture 1871 Model 1851 NAVY (.36 CALIBER WITH NAVAL ENGAGEMENT ON CYLINDER, OCTAGONAL BARREL)

Last edited by pitfighter; 03-11-2019 at 9:59 PM..
Old 03-12-2019, 8:19 AM

Beautiful images as always!

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Grendl -

C&R covers a wide range of firearms from shooting sub $500 surplus Cold War rifles, to the collecting of these lumps, where punching holes in paper would and should be the last reason in the world to acquire.

I guess with age, I am more interested in the "R" in C&R - !
Old 03-21-2019, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I purposely went back and checked my history to find this thread because I think people should really take a look at and truly appreciate all of these very well taken photographs of your impressive collection.

We have so many useless time-wasting threads here ( I look left and right to see if anyone notices that I'm talking about some of my own threads as well.) that is just a nice change to see a thread that is completely gun-related and something you do not see this well done everyday.

So thank you pitfighter.
Old 03-22-2019, 5:53 AM
Veteran Member

Awesome-thanks for posting the pic’!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 03-22-2019, 6:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice OP.

Thanks for posting.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 03-24-2019, 8:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
I purposely went back and checked my history to find this thread because I think people should really take a look at and truly appreciate all of these very well taken photographs of your impressive collection.

We have so many useless time-wasting threads here ( I look left and right to see if anyone notices that I'm talking about some of my own threads as well.) that is just a nice change to see a thread that is completely gun-related and something you do not see this well done everyday.

So thank you pitfighter.
Cheers Sealocan,

Reminds me, I found some new/old accessories for the old-smokers - I will have to shoot a few more pictures.
Been a bit chaotic here - glad ya like the pictures.

I post the old guns pictures at the Colt Country forum-site - those cats help with some of the technical and parts questions I have.
The interesting thing about the old guns I find, as I don't like spending large sums, is that they are absolute beaters.
Repaired and refinished, many times over the decades -

They're the equivalent of what a professional combat soldier might look like after 100 years of active duty - scarred, broken, fixed and a bit unstable.

The Dragoons would have been issued and re-issued, pilfered and abused - Mexican War, Civil War, Indian War, Self protection - (mine looks like it ran through the Mexican Revolution, too, lol)

Looking closely at several of my revolvers you notice the hair-like welds and changes in patina that denote a very careful and skilled repair, in a time when skilled craftsmanship was more affordable than a new revolver.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:02 AM

After seeing this post I went out to look at my U.S. Colt Navy.

I will never shoot my originals but I shoot my reproductions at least once per year.

I photographed my original Colt for you all to see. I am sorry for the low quality pictures but the lighting (sun) was not working well for me.

Its a 3rd model Navy made in 1857. It still has some casehardening colors and bluing showing. I am told that the trigger guard may have originally been silver plated but I do not know if the plating on my trigger guard is original or not. She is an old girl and has a lot of unknown history behind her. The left grip has a small "S" stamp and I can not find any other acceptance stamp on the grip. All the numbers match accept for the loading lever.

I also have 2 Remington New Models, one is New Jersey marked.

I have considered having someone who is knowledgeable take a look at it to see if the bluing ect is original.

Brett
Certified Polygraph Examiner. I provide services for Criminal and Civil Litigation, Private Businesses, Law Enforcement/Fire Pre-Employment screening, Fidelity Concerns, and other types of Family Disputes.

http://ToThePointPolygraph.com

Last edited by Bart1015; 02-28-2021 at 6:19 PM..
Old 03-25-2019, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart1015 View Post
After seeing this post I went out to look at my U.S. Colt Navy.

I will never shoot my originals but I shoot my reproductions at least once per year.

I photographed my original Colt for you all to see. I am sorry for the low quality pictures but the lighting (sun) was not working well for me.

Its a 3rd model Navy made in 1857. It still has some casehardening colors and bluing showing. I am told that the trigger guard may have originally been silver plated but I do not know if the plating on my trigger guard is original or not. She is an old girl and has a lot of unknown history behind her. The left grip has a small "S" stamp and I can not find any other acceptance stamp on the grip. All the numbers match accept for the loading lever.

I also have 2 Remington New Models, one is New Jersey marked.

I have considered having someone who is knowledgeable take a look at it to see if the bluing ect is original.

Brett
Very nice, Brett,

Looks like it has been cherished and lovingly or at least partially restored over the years, just how I like them.

Last edited by pitfighter; 03-25-2019 at 12:29 AM..