Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-17-2018, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka1911 View Post
Actually, the real question in this thread is if a business is free to set rules for the use of their facilities ?

Easy as that, is a business free to set their own rule? Period.
Are you referring to legality or community pressure?

In the Bay area I would say gun related businesses are not free due to mob pressure on city councils.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 09-17-2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Are you referring to legality or community pressure?

In the Bay area I would say gun related businesses are not free due to mob pressure on city councils.
This entire thread is based on the assumption of the OP. There is not one shred of solid evidence regarding why this range made the decision they allegedly made. But people are outraged despite this fact. It seems to me that the real question is does a business have a right to decide their rules, even if one group or another does not like them?
Old 09-17-2018, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Actually, the real question in this thread is if a business is free to set rules for the use of their facilities ?

Easy as that, is a business free to set their own rule? Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billped View Post
Their home, their rules.
Of course they are and of course it's their rules, but that is NOT what the OP is about. Read it again.

The OP is about "pandering to the left." Blocking some types of targets is just one way of pandering to the left. Working closely with Armatix was pandering to the left too. The business (we all know who they are) was free to do it, and we were free not to patronize them. Smith & Wesson were free to work with Clinton on gun control and we were free to call them on it. Bill Ruger was free to limit magazine capacity, and so were Dick's. We were free to spend money elsewhere.
Old 09-17-2018, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
OK, I never have ever shot human shaped tgts in civilian life.

Honest question, does the shooting at a human shaped target really add anything?

I mean if you are on some combat course or something, sure. But most public ranges generally have a "slow, aimed fire, no holsters" type of philosophy. So if that's the type of range you go to, then what are you REALLY missing out on if you can't shoot a silhouette target?

I am not sure I'd buy an argument that "it conditions you to shooting at a human shape for home defense purposes". In general I think the ability to use your gun in an actual HD situation is more about scenario driven planning and serious contemplation about what it would be like and less about the shape of the paper. In other words, as Gunny Hartman said, "It is a HARD HEART that kills".

I guess I am a bit unreasonably snooty but whenever I see silhouette targets go up at my range at the 50 yd line with folks blasting away and barely keeping their rounds in the shape, I kinda just think "oh brother, fricken dorks".

But like I said, I am uneducated on the topic. Help me stop being snooty (or tell me why I am correctly snooty).

well every IDPA and most USPSA targets are human silhouette, so there is that... can't practice for those at a range like that.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 09-17-2018, 7:23 PM

I tend to want to enjoy shooting some different targets with my wife. Sharing a straight bullseye target gets boring. The golf course target with 6 ‘holes’ we can each take 3 and have fun together. Then of course we go to blm land and shoot reactive steel too, for fun.
I tend to stay away from ranges that don’t want you to enjoy shooting. I also stay away from guns fishing and other ****, the range masters there are CA dog officers in disguise looking for violations. I don’t need to be searched just to take a case of 3handguns onto a range
Old 09-17-2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post

The OP is about "pandering to the left."
Which he admitted was only his guess, he had no confirmation.
Old 09-17-2018, 7:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Which he admitted was only his guess, he had no confirmation.
And that's a good point.

I mentioned in one post above that I don't have problem with rules that are based on their customer base and that are not imposed externally. Comparable to "vegan restaurant that doesn't serve meat" vs. "a regular restaurant that doesn't serve meat because local vegans will protest even if they never set foot in the restaurant."

Can anyone confirm why such policy in place and provide some proof?
Old 09-17-2018, 9:01 PM

So without a shred of proof of protests, pressure, etc. this thread took off based on the unproven speculation of a single individual. The Internet at its best.
Old 09-18-2018, 9:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The "unproven speculation" is actually a good "educated guess." Let's not get carried away with expecting the full legal standard of proof here.

Ranges in So Cal where I shoot don't have such policies and a lot of families and kids shoot there (including my own). I also live in non-D area. Coincidence?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Usmc, only because you asked...

http://solutions.synearth.net/page/159/

"Overcoming the Resistance to Killing

By 1946 the US Army had accepted Marshall’s conclusions
I doubt they currently accept SLA Marshall's conclusions. I'm not certain they ever did, regardless of what this article says. Nobody with any sense does, or should have then. His conclusions were asinine and his research was in some kind of superposition between unbelievably sloppy and actually fradulent. Look into it.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Chabot Gun Club had that rule for years. Not sure the real reason, but I was told a long time ago that non-bullseye targets like silhouettes were not allowed because they were too tall for the target holders, basically 1X4 wooded horizontal rails (top and bottom). Curt used to replace shot-up rails all of the time.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 09-18-2018, 11:07 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Forgive me for overlooking most of the replies in this thread (I'm on my way to my local range, where zombie, hostage and other human profile paper targets are sold), but I would think that someone with a username such as tacticalcitydotcom would have their own target range.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 09-19-2018, 8:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Welden, the black guy imprisoned for a failed hit job that worked at the Oceanside Iron Sites range used to sell me Obama Zombie targets.

Yes, you can still shoot clowns there. My wife printed out a pic of the boss that fired her. She filled his face full of holes. I often shoot out cancelled credit cards for therapy.