Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 09-28-2021, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Post birth cert?

i did a sale today a legal ppt for a pistol.
the ffl behind the counter says i must give him a copy of my birth cert.
can anyone point me to the correct law for this answer, as where in even the crazy ca laws/reg does it say this is to be done?
Old 09-28-2021, 8:17 PM

In California you need the following

Real ID or

Federal limit supply California drivers license/ID card with one of the following federal identification

Birth certificate

passport

The reason is that you need to satisfy the federal identification standards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voice typing will butcher whatever I was trying to say
Old 09-28-2021, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Bugsy714
The reason is that you need to satisfy the federal identification standards

And hence the reason you don't hand out a driver's license to every non English speaking mf'er who spills over into this country
Old 09-28-2021, 9:44 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You were the seller?

Quote:
§ 4045.1. Additional Documentation Requirements for Eligibility Checks with Federal Non-Compliant California Driver License or Identification Card.

This section applies to all firearms and ammunition eligibility checks, including any eligibility check described in Division 5. For the purposes of this section, “eligibility checks” refers to background checks based on any application or report for which an applicant is required to submit a driver license or identification card, or the number from a driver license or identification card, so that the Department of Justice may determine the applicant's eligibility to possess a firearm or ammunition under state or federal law.

(a) For all eligibility checks, a copy of the applicant's California driver license or identification card, or out-of-state driver license, if applicable, shall be submitted, as specified in subdivisions (d) through (g).

(b) For all eligibility checks, if the applicant presents a federal non-compliant California driver license or identification card with the notation “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, the applicant shall also submit proof of lawful presence in the United States, as specified in subdivisions (d) through (g), in the form of one of the following documents:
(1) Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
(2) Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate (issued by a city, county, or state vital statistics office). “Abbreviated” or “Abstract” certificates are NOT accepted.
(3) Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545), Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (FS-240), issued by the U.S. Department of State.
(4) Valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. immigrant visa and approved Record of Arrival/Departure (I-94) form.
(5) Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory.
(6) Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Citizenship.
(7) Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card.
As seller, you are not required to submit ID "so that the Department of Justice may determine the applicant's eligibility to possess a firearm or ammunition under state or federal law."

You do need to show you are a CA resident. No birth certificate involved with that.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-29-2021, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
You were the seller?

As seller, you are not required to submit ID "so that the Department of Justice may determine the applicant's eligibility to possess a firearm or ammunition under state or federal law."

You do need to show you are a CA resident. No birth certificate involved with that.

That is interesting I have done about 10 transactions in the last year buying and selling and that all of them I have been required to supply a birth certificate along with my federal limit supply ID

Could be a training issue for all of the counter staff or crazy story policy out of an abundance of caution

Old 09-29-2021, 8:34 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

If you are selling, it is not required by law but some FFLs will require it. I believe their thinking is that if your buyer is denied, they need to be able to give the gun back to you and you need to prove residency for that to happen.

That may be flawed thinking, but there you are....

Old 09-29-2021, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

all i know as a class A driver i have to provide everything but blood each year just to keep my job. --(now a couple shots of get fired).-- if only the shots were called jack.
all because a quack nurse posing as a Dr in a cheep company clinic (and they have been closed for years) said i have high bp, and need this air machine ( a non invasive pressurized air supply) to keep me from dieing. then the gov gets a print out from that each year, (so the gov is in my bed with me here) and a paper from my real Dr about my bp.
sad that now i must show my government approved, manufactured, issued DL/ID card, my ss card, and now a birth cert. just to sell something. That is already registered to me via this same government.

heck i have a file at the fbi that is inches thick...all good no bad...i hope.
Old 09-29-2021, 9:15 AM

Seems like something has changed since I last bought a pistol. I needed two forms of ID, like my DL and Car Registration. If I go buy something now my Real ID is all I need?
Old 09-29-2021, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
Seems like something has changed since I last bought a pistol. I needed two forms of ID, like my DL and Car Registration. If I go buy something now my Real ID is all I need?

Yeah this went into affect recently first time I heard about it was in mid 2000 when I started selling stuff again

Has something to do with the real ID and that the federal government does not except a California ID as a federal ID because we will issue them to non-citizens

Old 09-29-2021, 1:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post
Yeah this went into affect recently first time I heard about it was in mid 2000 when I started selling stuff again

Has something to do with the real ID and that the federal government does not except a California ID as a federal ID because we will issue them to non-citizens

Negative! ATF has no problem using Federal Limits Apply licenses to buy guns! California Dept. of Justice has mandated this rule.