Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:20 PM
Banned

Default Thoughts on carbon fiber barrels, for long range target?

Any thoughts on carbon fiber wrapped barrels for long range target? A2
Old 08-21-2021, 11:13 PM
Calguns Addict

My experience is they are crap, but my data is 20 years old so maybe they are better now. It behaved like a lightweight sporter barrel, heated up fast and groupings were trash untill I put a pressure pad on the stock.
Old 08-22-2021, 6:31 AM

A very few PRS competitors use them but I can only assume that they're not paying for their barrels. I've never seen any on the F-class line. I assume that's because F-class is expensive enough without CF barrels. CF are just more expensive IMHO. The ones I've been able to use a lot were just as accurate as any of my match guns with conventional barrels. Made hunting with a heavy barrel profile a lot more pleasant. If weight is a major issue, they do deliver on lighter overall weight but so far it seems like an answer to a question nobody asked. Long range usually has high round counts and/or highly overbore chamberings which are hard on barrel life. CF wrapped barrels end up double or more than the cost of a fine non-CF custom barrel.
Old 08-22-2021, 6:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Bling, bling, bling......
Old 08-22-2021, 8:51 AM

They hold heat since CF is an insulator.

Shooting strings will really heat up the barrel.
Old 08-22-2021, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Don't put a solution in play before clearly identifying a problem first.

Never use geewhizz technology to address a skill deficiency.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:05 AM

Also... Since you asked about long range target...

Weight really isnt an issue.... Why not just get a premium stainless heavy barrel?
Old 08-22-2021, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

If you want to spend some money, why not? If you're trying to improve your ability to hit the target at that distance, it seems to me you'd be better off using whatever rifle you have that can reach that far and focus on learning how to read the wind, which is likely to have a much better return on investment in time and money than an expensive barrel.

Probably not what you want to hear but at that distance, wind is going to be a much bigger factor than any improvements you might or might not realize from a stiffer barrel. For example, a factory load for a .30-06 Springfield with Hornady 150 grain SSTs drifts roughly 3 MOA for every 5 MPH of wind. I might be wrong about this but it seems like the difference between a sporter barrel and a varmint barrel isn't going to be nearly as important.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

If you have a weight limit you can't reach it makes sense but if weight isn't an issue they tend to be pricey.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 08-22-2021, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
A very few PRS competitors use them but I can only assume that they're not paying for their barrels. I've never seen any on the F-class line. I assume that's because F-class is expensive enough without CF barrels. CF are just more expensive IMHO. The ones I've been able to use a lot were just as accurate as any of my match guns with conventional barrels. Made hunting with a heavy barrel profile a lot more pleasant. If weight is a major issue, they do deliver on lighter overall weight but so far it seems like an answer to a question nobody asked. Long range usually has high round counts and/or highly overbore chamberings which are hard on barrel life. CF wrapped barrels end up double or more than the cost of a fine non-CF custom barrel.
PRS guys aren't looking to save weight.
Old 08-22-2021, 1:37 PM

For hunting yes benchrest no
Old 08-22-2021, 1:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Carbon wrapped bbl for hunting. Stainless for matches.

Check out Bartlein's new material 400MODBB, suppose to have better barrel life.

You can also order the new material with carbon fiber wrap.

But wait times are very long nowadays.
Old 08-22-2021, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Even the proof competition team uses steel barrels for contests. That should tell you what you need to know. I do want one for hunting though.
Old 08-22-2021, 7:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Look at what the bench rest guys shoot. When only accuracy matters, everyone shoots stainless steel.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-23-2021, 6:51 AM
Calguns Addict

High quality ones are good, but I would only go with the extra expense if saving weight is the primary concern. Just for the record, I do have a Proof barrel for my AI and I love the weight saving. It doesn't sacrifice any accuracy, but it's not inherently more accurate than my non CF barrels either. I got it just for the weight savings.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 08-25-2021, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

What kind of guarantee is there that any California Deer or Wild Hog will automatically know he has to
die faster from a single hit fired from CF barrel compared with a conventual rifle barrel?
Old 08-25-2021, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
What kind of guarantee is there that any California Deer or Wild Hog will automatically know he has to
die faster from a single hit fired from CF barrel compared with a conventual rifle barrel?
CF barrels are about weight saving. Which is huge if you actually hunt.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:35 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacko View Post
They hold heat since CF is an insulator.
No! Actually it's the opposite.

CF is an incredibly efficient heat conductor and dissipator. The reason a CF wrapped barrel feels hot is because the CF brings the heat away from the steel and to the surface to dissipate.

OTOH, stainless is a very poor conductor of heat and will hold heat closer to the rifling for longer and will dissipate heat at a slower rate.
Old 08-27-2021, 3:48 AM
Calguns Addict

6. Heat conduction
Carbon fiber is a material with low heat conduction characteristics.

Carbon fiber thermal conductivity
Carbon fiber is a perfect insulator– the above photo shows a carbon fiber turbine inlet.
Heat conduction mainly depends on transfer/conduction of energy from areas of high temperature to areas of low temperature. Highly heat conductive materials transfer temperature more easily than materials with low heat conductivity.

Composite made from carbon fiber and epoxy resin is a material with heat conductivity x 40 times less than aluminium and 10 times less than steel. Therefore the assumption may be made that carbon fiber is a very good insulator.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 08-27-2021, 4:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post

CF is an incredibly efficient heat conductor and dissipator. The reason a CF wrapped barrel feels hot is because the CF brings the heat away from the steel and to the surface to dissipate.

OTOH, stainless is a very poor conductor of heat and will hold heat closer to the rifling for longer and will dissipate heat at a slower rate.
I think the mistake you are making has to do with less steel in the barrel cooling faster than a larger amount of steel in a conventional barrel.

The hype language from the product pushers can get confusing if not purposely misleading.
Old 08-27-2021, 4:55 AM

Actually carbon fiber is both a bad and good thermal conductor. Normal cf is bad. But there are some with really high thermal conductivity cf made for satellites, $$$$$.

The other problem you run into is thermal expansion, more the lack of thermal expansion in cf, creating stresses in the steel barrel.
Old 08-27-2021, 8:44 AM

In the 90's the very first CF motorcycle exhaust I saw... The rider stopped and the rest of us looking at it.... he says Check this out! And grabs the can.....

Everyone else looking with jaws on the pavement... and goes up to touch it.

It was rather warm... but a regular can would instantly melt the top layer of your skin.

Yep.... sounds like an insulator to me.....
Old 08-27-2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Like I said there are high thermal conductivity carbon fiber developed for space applications. The thermal conductivity is over twice that of copper.

https://sanyocorp.com/pitch-based-carbon-fiber/
Old 08-27-2021, 7:39 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
In the 90's the very first CF motorcycle exhaust I saw... The rider stopped and the rest of us looking at it.... he says Check this out! And grabs the can.....

Everyone else looking with jaws on the pavement... and goes up to touch it.

It was rather warm... but a regular can would instantly melt the top layer of your skin.

Nope, what that meant is that the CF exhaust has already dissipated the heat to the point where you could touch it. Think about it. You want an exhaust to dissipate heat quickly -not hold it in, unable to escape. Same for rifle barrels.

Now LynnJr,
Since you didn't link your quote, I have no idea where it's from, although it looks to be a very specific application for aeronautical turbine blades made from special resins, so I don't think it applies to standard CF materials supplied in sheets.

Carbon Fiber is "carbon" threads, which have a thermal conductivity of about 500 W/mK (watts per meter-kelvin), compared with about 400 W/mK for copper. It is an efficient heat conductor.
Old 08-27-2021, 7:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Nope, what that meant is that the CF exhaust has already dissipated the heat to the point where you could touch it. Think about it. You want an exhaust to dissipate heat quickly -not hold it in, unable to escape. Same for rifle barrels.

Now LynnJr,
Since you didn't link your quote, I have no idea where it's from, although it looks to be a very specific application for aeronautical turbine blades made from special resins, so I don't think it applies to standard CF materials supplied in sheets.

Carbon Fiber is "carbon" threads, which have a thermal conductivity of about 500 W/mK (watts per meter-kelvin), compared with about 400 W/mK for copper. It is an efficient heat conductor.
What about the resin? Your hands never actually touch carbon.
Old 08-27-2021, 8:00 PM

Quote:
The typical carbon fiber like Toray T300 or T700 has a thermal conductivity down at 20-40 W/mK.
Old 08-27-2021, 8:50 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
What about the resin? Your hands never actually touch carbon.
True, but if you can feel heat pass through, the resin probably does not insulate.

I was recently amused to discover the high-end cookware maker, All-Clad is selling $$$ cookware made from CF sandwiched between 2 sheets of stainless. Their claim is that these pots conduct heat faster & more evenly than their copper & aluminum lined pots.

Last edited by CWL; 08-27-2021 at 8:59 PM..
Old 08-27-2021, 8:54 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
The typical carbon fiber like Toray T300 or T700 has a thermal conductivity down at 20-40 W/mK.
Don't know, but isn't Toray a maker of aeronautical applications like drone frames? Perhaps the materials are prepared to be insulative. Still does not take-away the conductivity of actual CF itself. There would be no change mollecularly, with carbon threads formed & weaved into CF, it would be what resins & other composites are used.
Old 08-27-2021, 9:29 PM

Toray is one of the largest suppliers of carbon fiber used in aerospace, automotive, and sporting goods.

I don't think you are understanding the actual behaviors of carbon fiber. CF can conducted thermal energy if it is applied to the length of the fiber, like a straw. However when the thermal energy is going across the width of the fiber, it becomes an insulator. Epoxy is also a good insulator. The fact that the fabric is laid on its side with an epoxy filler makes it a very good insulator.

It's only the high dollar space stuff that is actually thermally conductive. Your run of the mill
CF is an insulator.
Old 08-28-2021, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

CWL
If it was as you claim everyone would be using it as heat is the biggest enemy of rifle barrels.
The manufacturers would be marketing it to high heaven but they aren't.
Ask yourself why.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 08-30-2021, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

Notice that PRS and F-class, both high round count shooting sports, don't readily go with CF barrels? Considering that there are some weight limitations they would be totally jumping on it. The general consensus is the heat kills the barrel accuracy.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 08-30-2021 at 2:20 PM..
Old 10-17-2021, 12:32 PM

Default Finally someone.......

Quote:

who knows what they are talking about instead of just opins...
carbon fiber barrels are great if you can afford it,
since you are asking, you probably can afford it.
So, go for it. IT is very nice and very accurate.
I've Christensen and I love mine.
Old 10-26-2021, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Besides the weight savings, a CF barrel pushes a rifle center of balance back towards the receiver, making a long hold on a target much easier.
Old 11-03-2021, 9:52 AM

Heavy guns are more stable and comfortable for long range target shooting