Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-04-2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
Snap! Has a calgunner applied using "self protection" to this county?
I live in Marin and had my life threatened in writing by the ex husband of a woman I dated, stating he would kill me some day.

I took the letter to the police and they have a copy.

Alas I am moving to Washington in less than 1 month.

NRA Member

Last edited by UberPatriot; 01-04-2019 at 7:46 PM..
Old 01-05-2019, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I can't find any CCW info on their website: https://www.marinsheriff.org/ Where did you get their policy? Is that policy still current (in 2019 vs 2014 when you posted this)? Can you post the exact language used re. what I bolded?

FWIW, no, I don't live in Marin Co either....
It's their stated policy and they will tell you when you meet with the Undersheriff. As long as Doyle is there, the policy won't change. Same in 2019 as 2018.

The only thing they have on the website is the standard DOJ app:

https://www.marinsheriff.org/assets/...ds/ccw_app.pdf

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 01-05-2019 at 7:35 AM.. Reason: Added link
Old 01-05-2019, 8:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
It's their stated policy and they will tell you when you meet with the Undersheriff. As long as Doyle is there, the policy won't change. Same in 2019 as 2018.
So, they don't give you a copy of their CCW Policy? Did you ASK for a copy?

Are there ANY Marin Co CGNers who aren't broke, financially and emotionally, and who want to try to improve things in Marin Co???

Yet once again, I don't even live in Marin Co....

Last edited by Paladin; 01-05-2019 at 8:56 AM..
Old 01-05-2019, 11:25 AM

I did not ask for their policy in writing. As I've said in the past, the initial meeting is not recorded and is advisory. If you choose to have a determination made by the sheriff, it will be on file, a record created for you and if you are denied, (99.9% likely, given the sheriff in question), it will go into your record that will be reviewed at any subsequent application.

In addition you now get to claim a recorded denial on your out of state renewal applications. Which may or may not be a problem depending on the jurisdiction.

For those of us that have OOS permits and live in Marin, it's a real problem.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I did not ask for their policy in writing. As I've said in the past, the initial meeting is not recorded and is advisory.
So that could all be BS he made up, just to make it seem like no one applies and to keep the denial rate down, right?

Anyone in Marin Co ever think of dropping by the SO and getting a copy of their CCW policy in writing??? This ain't rocket science, folks, and they won't cut off your balls and stuff them down your throat if you ask or use a Public Records Act (PRA) request to force them to give you a copy. Anyone ever think of doing that??? Once again, I don't live in Marin Co. What are you guys DOING???

Evil thrives in the dark....

Quote:
If you choose to have a determination made by the sheriff, it will be on file, a record created for you and if you are denied, (99.9% likely, given the sheriff in question), it will go into your record that will be reviewed at any subsequent application.
"Oh, no! I'm sooo scared! I was denied because I lacked Good Cause. I'm marked for life..."

Quote:
In addition you now get to claim a recorded denial on your out of state renewal applications. Which may or may not be a problem depending on the jurisdiction.
Really? It doesn't matter what the reason for the denial was?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've got a hunch that since 42 out of 50 states are Shall Issue, if the denial was only for lack of GC (vs criminal record -- lack of GMC), that might matter when the applicant is from 1 of the 8 May Issue states.

Quote:
For those of us that have OOS permits and live in Marin, it's a real problem.
Maybe. Maybe not.... Marking the box is not a problem. The question is what effect it has on your OOS app (for a SI state?), and so far, that's speculative.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-05-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Old 01-05-2019, 12:01 PM

I believe that Utah will deny based on a previous denial. I'm not going to risk it, however. Whatever the documentation you can get, Doyle is a hardcore anti and will not issue to non-LE.

I can't see what any documentation adventure accomplishes. The sole decision is in the hands of Doyle and his record is well known. There is literally zero chance you will be approved while he remains in office.

I'll be retiring to AK in five years. So it's not something I'm gung-ho on fighting at this time.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 01-05-2019 at 12:08 PM..
Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I believe that Utah will deny based on a previous denial. I'm not going to risk it, however.
Based upon what? Where does a UT state webpage say a mere prior denial is dispositive? Or is that internet FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt)?
Old 01-05-2019, 12:16 PM

Advice from my CCW instructor who handled Utah classes and kept track of his students. Beyond that, I don't have firsthand information.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Whatever the documentation you can get, Doyle is a hardcore anti and will not issue to non-LE.
Let's get it in writing and spread it around so whoever runs against him or for his open seat can use it during campaigning or we can use it to question them during the campaign.

Quote:
I can't see what any documentation adventure accomplishes.
First step is knowing what you're dealing with, rather than relying upon rumor and speculation.

For example: Are there any CGNers in Marin Co who've applied for a SO CCW within the past 3 years who've used more than mere "self-defense" as GC? If so, how'd it go? What was your GC like?

Quote:
The sole decision is in the hands of Doyle
Yeah, that's by state law and applies to ALL CLEOs that issue.

Quote:
and his record is well known. There is literally zero chance you will be approved while he remains in office.
Again, based upon what? FUD?

Quote:
I'll be retiring to AK in five years. So it's not something I'm gung-ho on fighting at this time.
I say kick 'em in the balls on your way out.

Everyone wants a CA CCW and everyone wants someone else to make it possible. Life doesn't work that way.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-05-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Old 01-05-2019, 12:26 PM

You are just as free as anyone on this forum to file a PRA request. I've lived here a quarter century and know the area is highly anti-gun, probably second only to SF in the state. When my tenure in the Bay Area ends I'm moving to free America and the retardation in Marin can consume 100% of the oxygen for I'll I care.
Old 01-05-2019, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You are just as free as anyone on this forum to file a PRA request.
"Someone else should do it."

Quote:
When my tenure in the Bay Area ends I'm moving to free America and the retardation in Marin can consume 100% of the oxygen for I'll I care.
"I was afraid when I lived here. I don't care now that I'm planning to leave...."

CGNers....
Old 01-05-2019, 1:48 PM

My personal choice to leave CA / Marin has nothing to do with CCW in Marin, but feel free to think so.

In the grand scheme, getting my CCW here is pretty low on the list, and if I wanted it badly enough I would relocate to a more friendly county. You, nor anyone else is likely to succeed in your quest to turn Marin green. It's the heart of Anti territory and there simply aren't enough who want it to matter.

So, I can tilt at windmills for your pleasure and risk my OOS permits, or hang tight until I leave and get an AK permit that is good in 30+ states.

It's not a tough call. I'm sorry you feel disappointed. I've already been through the CCW process in Marin and tilting at windmills is an accurate description.
Old 03-26-2019, 5:48 PM

Edit: This post was in response to one by Paladin that has since been deleted. My post shall remain for posterity.

So, 53 people over a near 20-year span applied. 12, less than one per year, didn't listen to the undersheriff and submitted their app anyway and were denied. While, 41 LEO or similar were approved.

This confirms what I have already told you and posted in this thread about numbers, disposition and chances for success. If you are not in some form of LE position, or tangentially associated, you will not be approved. 12 people thought otherwise and ignored the undersheriff telling them what the outcome would be.

That works out to 2.65 applications or renewals submitted to the sheriff per year, with 2.05 approvals per year avg. for the protected class.

Do you see now why it's futile with this sheriff? 0.6 apps per year from normal folks as submitted is nearly zero compared to Sac., SD and virtually any other county. No one here really cares about it, there is no groundswell of applicants that would support a pro-CCW sheriff candidate.

Even assuming a 10:1 ratio of withdrawn apps to submitted and denied ones, it's still next to zero for all intents.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 03-26-2019 at 8:04 PM..
Old 03-28-2019, 7:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
My personal choice to leave CA / Marin has nothing to do with CCW in Marin, but feel free to think so.
I never said or implied it did.

Quote:
You, nor anyone else is likely to succeed in your quest to turn Marin green. It's the heart of Anti territory and there simply aren't enough who want it to matter.
Please provide a quote where I said my quest was to turn Marin "green."

Quote:
So, I can tilt at windmills for your pleasure and risk my OOS permits, or hang tight until I leave and get an AK permit that is good in 30+ states.

It's not a tough call. I'm sorry you feel disappointed. I've already been through the CCW process in Marin and tilting at windmills is an accurate description.
Delusional much?

Why are you even replying to my posts then? Except where I've quoted you, they're not direct to you but to all CGNers in Marin Co. With the amount of effort you've spent in snide replies, you could have emailed your OOS instructor, asked them if a denial for insufficient GC would hurt your OOS permit chances and asked them upon what they based their opinion upon. But no....

Whatever dude.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-28-2019 at 8:15 PM..
Old 03-28-2019, 8:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Edit: This post was in response to one by Paladin that has since been deleted. My post shall remain for posterity.
My post #79 shall remain for posterity.

Quote:
So, 53 people over a near 20-year span applied. 12, less than one per year, didn't listen to the undersheriff and submitted their app anyway and were denied. While, 41 LEO or similar were approved.

This confirms what I have already told you and posted in this thread about numbers, disposition and chances for success. If you are not in some form of LE position, or tangentially associated, you will not be approved. 12 people thought otherwise and ignored the undersheriff telling them what the outcome would be.
This is not directed to Robotron: Sounds like LA Co under McDonnell. If people aren't willing to challenge them in court, nothing will change. Doyle could be easily schooled on discriminating by group membership using Salute v. Pitchess (https://law.justia.com/cases/califor...3d/61/557.html) and Guillory v. County of Orange (https://www.leagle.com/decision/19842110731f2d137911910) (14th A EP clause). I would think there were some wealthy gun owners in Marin Co willing to fight in the courts. But maybe not.

Heck, you aren't willing to ask for a copy of their written CCW policy (a state law requirement). If they refuse, you could file a PRA request. If they refuse that, you could ask a state judge for a writ of mandamus, ordering the sheriff's office to obey state law and give you a copy. Like I said before, "kick 'em in the balls." Maybe there's someone else in Marin Co willing to do that. (I don't live in Marin Co.)

Quote:
Do you see now why it's futile with this sheriff? 0.6 apps per year from normal folks as submitted is nearly zero compared to Sac., SD and virtually any other county. No one here really cares about it, there is no groundswell of applicants that would support a pro-CCW sheriff candidate
This is not directed to Robotron: Doyle will be ~74 yo at next election. He may not run again. Younger CLEOs, who went through training after the Shall Issue movement, are generally better, as seen in Sonoma Co with Essick and, it's beginning to appear, as in Yolo Co with Lopez.

Hopefully, SCOTUS will give us a Carry win within 2 years. But in case we don't, why not start fighting now? (This is not directed to Robotron.)

Last edited by Paladin; 03-28-2019 at 9:25 PM.. Reason: added links to Salute and Guillory cases
Old 04-02-2019, 12:25 AM

Undersheriff Ridgway retired. New undersheriff is prior LT. Doyle no plans to retire after current term.

Here's your policy doc:

https://www.marinsheriff.org/assets/.../ADM-01-01.pdf

Peace out.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Undersheriff Ridgway retired. New undersheriff is prior LT. Doyle no plans to retire after current term.

Here's your policy doc:

https://www.marinsheriff.org/assets/.../ADM-01-01.pdf

Peace out.
It's been 9 months. Any news/rumors re. Doyle retiring?

Thanks for the link to the policy. On p. 1 under PROCEDURES it says:
Quote:
Show good cause for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit. Personal convenience, personal protection, position, or job classification alone will not constitute good cause for the issuance of a permit.
That's all I could find re. acceptable GC by skimming the doc.

Acc to this article, back in 2018 July 01 Marin Co had 22 issued CCWs. https://www.mercedsunstar.com/site-s...232198382.html

Last edited by Paladin; 02-01-2020 at 1:16 PM..
Old 04-17-2020, 8:04 PM

I'm poor in Marin, but I'm willing to do whatever I can to help this cause for a positive outcome. I hope I'm not alone here...
Old 04-18-2020, 10:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARJ29 View Post
I'm poor in Marin, but I'm willing to do whatever I can to help this cause for a positive outcome. I hope I'm not alone here...
We hope to get a solid win in the NYSRPA case at SCOTUS before July 01. Monitor that thread for updates. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1486495

You should also monitor local press/media for any news of Doyle talking about retiring. Maybe even befriend a deputy to get any inside info re. Doyle retiring.
Old 06-15-2020, 3:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARJ29 View Post
SCOTUS decided not to take our Carry Cases. Next one/s won't be ready for them for 2 more years...

Best advice for now is move slightly north to Sonoma Co (e.g., Petaluma). Essick is readily issuing CCWs.
Old 06-23-2020, 8:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

2 years down, 2 years to go until the next sheriff's election. Any word if Sheriff Robert Doyle will be stepping down or running again?

Last edited by Paladin; 06-23-2020 at 8:53 PM..
Old 09-11-2020, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For those thinking about applying, below is the latest revision of my breakdown of the meaning of the Dark Red, Light Red and Yellow categories. If you do apply, be sure to let us know, via a post, or at least me, via a PM, how it went and any insights you can share. Marin Co is currently Dark Red on the CA CCW GC map. I encourage people with Dark Red GC apply. People with Light Red have a chance, but we don’t know how much of one due to insufficient data. People with Yellow GC should apply if they really want a CCW and are willing to be denied for insufficient GC (it does NOT hurt your chances in the future).

Quote:
The below GC categories are listed from, roughly, weakest to strongest. Note well there's a range within each category. For example, someone who's work equipment is worth $10,000 (might pass Light Red) is assumed to be more at risk than someone who's equipment is worth only $1,000 (might pass Yellow). Plus, remember that equipment that cost you $1,000 isn't equivalent to someone making $500 cash deposits. Your equipment is not only used (let's say it would fetch $600), but also it's stolen (might then drop that to $300). Similarly, someone who walks with a slight limp (might pass Dark Green), is not as vulnerable as someone who requires a cane (might pass Light Green) and they're not as vulnerable as someone who requires a wheelchair (might pass Yellow). Evaluation of GC isn't black and white, but often shades of gray, a judgment call. That's one of the reasons why we say the map may be off by 1 color in either direction. So, if you have a GC that is listed under Light Green below it might pass in a Yellow county. Apply if you really want a CCW and can afford to waste the time, money and effort in applying since you're most likely to be denied. (Going through the process might be good practice.) Remember: we should win a robust 2nd A RBA from SCOTUS by 2021 July 01.

<snip>

All the below will likely pass in a Yellow county Some of us can get issued here.

(8) Lives in a remote area with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times. (Provide proof of residence location, photos of your acreage, of you farming/ranching, etc) N.B. While this may work with SLO Co SOs, it will not work with Alameda Co SO; not sure re. Napa and Yolo Co SOs.

(9) Employees required to work in remote locales at all hours with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., wilderness photographer, surveyors, construction workers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, value of equipment) restricted to on-the-job only N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(10) Employees at heightened risk due visiting isolated locations required by their employment (e.g., female RE agents showing houses to strangers at all hours while alone). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(11) Employees (e.g., business managers, property managers) who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their employment (e.g., Au/Ag, jewelry, pharmaceuticals, firearms, ammo or gunpowder ("inherently dangerous property"), cash sales or rental deposits). Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(12) The nature of the business or occupation of the applicant is such that it is subject to personal risk and / or criminal attack, greater than the general population (e.g., private investigators, process servers, plain clothes security guards, bodyguards, taxi drivers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, photos of you on the job, etc.) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

All the below will likely pass in a Light Red county. Few of us can get issued here.

(13) Business owners required to work at all hours in remote locales with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., professional farmer or rancher, wilderness photographer, surveyor, contractor). (copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job at remote locations, value of equipment, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(14) Business owners who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their profession or business activities (e.g., Au/Ag dealers, jewelry dealers, MD/pharmacists/pharma sales rep, business owner or landlord making cash sales or rental deposits, maybe NRA Instructor, RSO and FFL dealers due to regularly transporting "inherently dangerous property"). (written description of your business activities, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

The below Good Cause will likely pass in a Dark Red county. This is Virtual No Issue because virtually none of us can get issued here. There are 3 levels in Dark Red (from most restrictive to least): actual No Issue. SF and Santa Clara, for awhile, were once this. Next, corrupt issue. LA is like this per the CSA's report: 25 out of 25 audited files did not follow their own CCW policy re. residency and 24 out of 25 did not follow their own policy on GC. Last is Virtual No Issue: this is where they issue for category #15 below and only for that.

(15) They are at heightened risk due to a documented "clear & present danger to life, or great bodily harm" against them or an immediate family member (e.g., crazy ex- or disgruntled fired employee, stalker, anonymous nut case/evildoer, etc.). These GC policies are usually based upon CA State AG John Van de Kamp's early 1980s Opinion letter and require a number of additional conditions be present. (Proof includes police reports (if BG unknown), permanent restraining order (if BG known), evidence of current threats (e.g., audio recordings, video/pictures, written threats, etc).)

Last edited by Paladin; 09-11-2020 at 9:11 AM..
Old 01-05-2021, 6:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
2 years down, 2 years to go until the next sheriff's election. Any word if Sheriff Robert Doyle will be stepping down or running again?
Another 6 months down, another 6 months closer to the next sheriff’s election (2022 June). IIRC candidates have to file by 2022 February. Any serious contender will be organizing, fundraising and rallying political support and endorsements this year.

FWIW there’s a new Carry case before SCOTUS presently asking for cert.:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1676407

Last edited by Paladin; 01-05-2021 at 6:42 PM..
Old 01-31-2021, 1:03 PM

It’s official:

Quote:
Marin County Sheriff Robert Doyle plans to retire at the end of his term, and already there are two candidates to succeed him.

Undersheriff Jamie Scardina, the second in command at the sheriff’s department, and Novato City Manager Adam McGill have both disclosed plans to run in June 2022.

Doyle says he decided when he was elected to his sixth term in 2018 that he wouldn’t run again.

“I just didn’t announce it because that is a long way off,” Doyle said.

McGill, who was Novato’s police chief for nearly three years before becoming city manager, has created a campaign website and posted information about his candidacy on his Facebook page, but he hasn’t gone out of his way to advertise his candidacy.

“There has been no press conference or press release,” said McGill, who lives in Novato. “I would describe it as a soft launch.”

McGill said he had heard rumors that Doyle wouldn’t be running again. He has already filed the paperwork to create a fundraising committee.

David McCuan, a professor of political science at Sonoma State University, said McGill is probably anxious to lock up endorsements and early campaign contribution commitments to “send a signal to rivals.”

Scardina, a Marinwood resident who grew up in Corte Madera, has spent the last two decades with the sheriff’s office, working his way up the ranks from deputy.

Before that, Scardina worked for two years as a Tiburon police officer. In addition to his other duties, he is the interim chief of the Tiburon Police Department while the town recruits a new chief.

“We’re currently a very high-performing organization, and we have been for many years,” Scardina said of the sheriff’s department. “I’m looking forward to building on that performance.”

McGill’s campaign website states: “Adam’s priority is to bring a modern, community-based ethic to the Marin County Sheriff’s Department.”

Asked if he thinks the sheriff’s office is well run, McGill said, “I’m not going to speak to that. At some point that may come.”

Doyle said that not long after becoming Novato’s police chief in January 2017, McGill asked if Doyle would endorse his candidacy for sheriff when he decided to retire.

“I made it real clear that I wouldn’t endorse him, that I believe in leaving the dance with who I brought, and there were plenty of people qualified in the organization,” Doyle said.

McGill said, “I’ve never asked the sheriff for his endorsement.”

Before becoming Novato’s police chief, McGill was chief of police for the city of Newman, Stanislaus County, and the town of Truckee. Prior to that, he worked for more than seven years at the Modesto Police Department.

“My record in Novato speaks for itself,” McGill said. “Our use-of-force policies in Novato, our immigration policies, our community outreach practices are contemporary and consistent with 21st century policing practices. We implemented those because it was the right thing to do and not because we were forced to as the result of protests.”

Regarding the distrust of police that the Black Lives Matters movement has highlighted, McGill said, “There is no more important time to be a public safety executive. What some call a challenge I see as an opportunity to make lasting change. Police should be responsive to the community, and police the way the community wants to be policed.”

During Marin County budget hearings last summer, Doyle was harshly criticized by activists who called for defunding the police and demanded the supervisors declare Marin a sanctuary county. Doyle was called a “terrorist,” a “tyrant” and a “racist.”

County supervisors responded by cutting the sheriff’s budget by $1.7 million, the equivalent of eight sworn officers.

Doyle said none of that influenced his decision to retire in 2022.

“This is all part of the job,” he said. “I would have never thought to abandon the organization during a difficult time. For a leader that would be shameful.”

Scardina said, “What is happening in other parts of the country is not necessarily what is happening in Marin County. You have to look at the history of the Marin County Sheriff’s Office. We don’t have a lot of citizens’ complaints. We don’t have a lot of lawsuits against us. That speaks well for the people we hire throughout the organization.”

Scardina said the sheriff’s office was the first law enforcement agency in the county to start reporting data on all stops to the attorney general by April 2023 as required by the Racial and Identity Profiling Act.

“We’re two years out in front of this,” Scardina said. “That is just another level of transparency that we want to provide for our community.”
https://www.marinij.com/2021/01/23/m...tion-showdown/
Old 01-31-2021, 1:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Time for Marin Co CGNers to attend “meet & greet” events ($$$), and encourage CCW GC liberalization.

Before that just track down campaign websites to see what’s posted there, if anything, regarding CCWs.

Old 01-31-2021, 2:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Another 6 months down, another 6 months closer to the next sheriff’s election (2022 June). IIRC candidates have to file by 2022 February. Any serious contender will be organizing, fundraising and rallying political support and endorsements this year.

FWIW there’s a new Carry case before SCOTUS presently asking for cert.:
Tooting my own horn....

Old 02-01-2021, 8:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If one candidate sounds more pro CCW than the other, volunteer to help their campaign. If EMILY (“early money is like yeast”), well so are early volunteers—you can have a disproportionate impact on the campaign and election.

You Marin Co people have to step up and do this. (No, I don’t live in Marin Co.)
Old 04-02-2021, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Any news regarding contenders running for sheriff?
Old 04-05-2021, 10:14 PM

I sent messages to both candidates a week or so back, regarding their stance on CCW. Zero responses.

The absolute number of 2A-supporting gun owners in the county is minuscule. The theoretical boost from such a cohort is not likely to affect the outcome of the race, and politically it’s in neither candidate’s best interest to attempt to mine that limited resource. Restrictive gun laws and policy are seen as a feature, not a bug in this county, and keeping the same related policies will be effective, as a campaign strategy.

Where the two are spending most of their energy in differentiation is how “woke” can they be with reference to not following immigration law and a race to the bottom to make LE useless. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see a push in the next cycle, here, to disarm law enforcement completely.

I think it’s safe to say, given the environment and candidate backgrounds, neither of the two, current, candidates will be improving the situation in Marin, for CCW. I will have left California by the time the next sheriff is installed, so I won’t be able to test their willingness to issue, post-election.

Hopefully, for those still waiting for the day liberalized-CCW appears in Marin, someone else enters the contest. But, my guess is that Scardina will be continuing the status quo after Doyle. Just remember that only Doyle and Charles Prandi have held the top position in the past 38 years (since the time the county flipped majority-Democrat). Doyle was Prandi’s pick and ran unopposed a couple of times. Scardina is Doyle’s pick.

Only one in seven eligible county residents is a registered Republican, and the trend is seeing that number shrink at each election. The values of the average Marin resident are now heavily-skewed in favor of socialistic goals. Guns are deemed scary and one of the premier U.S. Congressional gun-banners, Jared Huffman, is a resident of San Rafael.

Sadly, these are the politics of Marin, and the only way CCW will ever be liberalized here is via SCOTUS intervention or some unforeseen event that radically changes people’s view of the Second Amendment. Sonoma county issuing will probably drain the last of any real support for CCW in Marin, as those individuals only need move 10-25 miles north to have their rights restored.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 04-06-2021 at 11:23 PM..
Old 04-26-2021, 8:35 AM

It appears that Paladin has been banned; not sure if that is a permanent action, or temporary.

In any case SCOTUS, today, decided to grant Certiorari to the NYSRPA case pertaining to denial of permits, in New York, on grounds of self-defense being insufficient “good-cause” for carrying concealed, outside the home.

With any luck, we will get a ruling that affirms the right to bear arms in some fashion beyond the curtilage of the home, and a possibility of shall-issue, for reasons of self-defense, as the standard for issue, nationwide.

NRA Press Release:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2021...led-carry-case

SCOTUSBlog Coverage:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2021/04/c...n-rights-case/

SCOTUS Docket Entry:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/...ic/20-843.html

Calguns Discussion Thread:

Old 04-26-2021, 1:56 PM

Quote:
It appears that Paladin has been banned; not sure if that is a permanent action, or temporary.

In any case SCOTUS, today, decided to grant Certiorari to the NYSRPA case pertaining to denial of permits, in New York, on grounds of self-defense being insufficient “good-cause” for carrying concealed, outside the home.

With any luck, we will get a ruling that affirms the right to bear arms in some fashion beyond the curtilage of the home, and a possibility of shall-issue, for reasons of self-defense, as the standard for issue, nationwide.

NRA Press Release:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2021...led-carry-case

SCOTUSBlog Coverage:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2021/04/c...n-rights-case/

SCOTUS Docket Entry:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/...ic/20-843.html

Calguns Discussion Thread:

I'll be 5-4 against...
Old 04-26-2021, 2:37 PM

I would suggest kicking the sentimental SCOTUS posts over to the National thread, posted above.

While speculation is a fun game, no one knows where this will end up.

Let’s keep the thread open for Marin updates as they occur.
Old 04-30-2021, 5:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For any who don’t know SCOTUS has taken a major gun rights case. It should be heard in the fall and decision released sometime before 2022 July 01. The case has to do with our Right to Bear Arms. More at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1676407
Old 06-25-2021, 5:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We’re now halfway through 2021. Any news about Doyle’s retirement or the contenders for his job?

While our best chance for real CCW change in the last holdout anti counties is a SCOTUS Carry Case win, we’ve been disappointed many many times by the federal courts, including SCOTUS, over the past decade or so. Best to fight every fight we can to advance our pro RKBA agenda.

Last edited by Paladin; 06-25-2021 at 5:56 PM..
Old 06-26-2021, 9:29 AM

None.

McGill made some noises at a recent BOS meeting, promptly got the stink eye and has been quiet since.

I half-expect him to drop out of the race before the end of the year. It’s clear that he doesn’t garner the necessary support.
Old 07-01-2021, 9:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Had an interesting conversation with a colleague today regarding obtaining a CCW in Marin. His application has been pending for 4 months to date. He's been working with the Undersheriff, Jamie Scardina throughout the process.

He's got just cause for a license as he carries expensive equipment throughout the county and has been robbed once at gun point and approached by another individual with a shotgun.

Anyhow, he described Scardina's position on the matter somewhat positive but ultimately intimated that nothing will happen so long as Doyle is in power. Scardina did say they are leaving the application as pending indefinitely so as not to have a denial on his record. Whether this means Scardina will be open to issuing permits if he supplants Doyle remains unclear.

I've asked a number of MCS officers about the matter and whether they know of Scardina's position, none had any insight.
Old 07-02-2021, 7:10 AM

Ridgway said the same things. However, I’m not convinced once Doyle leaves that anything will change so long as the promotion happens from within. The political pressure to undercut Sheriffs with an oversight board is ramping up. For now, the law says such a board is only advisory, but the gears are already turning to make Sheriffs bend to the will of county boards.

Should that occur (a new law is required, but likely), and SCOTUS do nothing by next year, it’s possible CCW ceases to be available in many counties, as boards decide to curtail it for public safety and the Ninth has said there is no right to concealed permits.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:39 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ridgway said the same things. However, I’m not convinced once Doyle leaves that anything will change so long as the promotion happens from within. The political pressure to undercut Sheriffs with an oversight board is ramping up. For now, the law says such a board is only advisory, but the gears are already turning to make Sheriffs bend to the will of county boards.

Should that occur (a new law is required, but likely), and SCOTUS do nothing by next year, it’s possible CCW ceases to be available in many counties, as boards decide to curtail it for public safety and the Ninth has said there is no right to concealed permits.
The whole concept of making the Sheriffs answerable to the County boards is a horrible idea. The Sheriffs in Ca are independent and answerable only to the citizens they serve and the folks in Sacofpimentos hate that.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 07-07-2021, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
The whole concept of making the Sheriffs answerable to the County boards is a horrible idea. The Sheriffs in Ca are independent and answerable only to the citizens they serve and the folks in Sacofpimentos hate that.
Very true. And with defund the police and BLM, we have seen the leverage starting to be applied, in Marin, with the goal of removing sheriff authority.

This is more of the “grass-roots” activism (Soros) that drives the insane policy coming from Sacramento, and although Doyle is unloved by the 2A-loving folks here, he has stood up for the sheriff’s prerogative in their job and discretion. The next sheriff probably won’t do that, and Sacramento is making noises of removing some authority, as well.

Given the trajectory of this state and the idiot voters and the idiots they elect, it’s only a matter of time before county boards have the power to overrule sheriffs.
Old 07-23-2021, 1:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Sheriff candidates campaign websites

Sheriff candidates campaign websites

Adam McGill: https://www.mcgill4marinsheriff.com/

Jamie Scardina: https://www.scardinasheriff.org/

I’ll let Marin Co CGNers see if there’s any mention of CCWs on those websites. I’ll also let them periodically search for other candidates. (No, I don’t live in Marin Co)

Last edited by Paladin; 07-23-2021 at 1:46 PM..