Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-21-2020, 4:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Its a long thread maybe someone beat me to this, but Wyatt didn't carry a colt FYI
http://www.americancowboychronicles....-not-colt.html
The SW would've been my choice if I lived then and needed a defensive holster handgun. the SAA is painfully slow to reload.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 05-21-2020, 10:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Its a long thread maybe someone beat me to this, but Wyatt didn't carry a colt FYI
http://www.americancowboychronicles....-not-colt.html
I've always been fascinated by old historical photos of cowboys and lawmen of that era. It has always struck me that they didn't wear cowboy hats, cowboy boots, and carry Peacemakers like Hollywood always depicts.

Their hats were whatever they had on hand and that meant every shape and style you can think of. Same with their shoes. Their guns were also a mix of everything. But I always noticed the lack of Peacemakers and the predominance of S&W's and Schofields.

The truth is always less sexy than Hollywood fiction.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 05-21-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Old 05-22-2020, 5:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I've always been fascinated by old historical photos of cowboys and lawmen of that era. It has always struck me that they didn't wear cowboy hats, cowboy boots, and carry Peacemakers like Hollywood always depicts.

Their hats were whatever they had on hand and that meant every shape and style you can think of. Same with their shoes. Their guns were also a mix of everything. But I always noticed the lack of Peacemakers and the predominance of S&W's and Schofields.

The truth is always less sexy than Hollywood fiction.
I'd guess the predominant firearm in the west was a single or double barreled shotgun. Not that many ordinary folks could afford multiple firearms and most had no need to carry a big iron on the hip (cue Marty Robbins).

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 05-22-2020, 7:30 AM
Calguns Addict

I have three Colt SAA,I only shoot one of them. As much as I like Colt,if I was going to be shooting thousands of rounds thru a SA,I would find something else but for sheer looks of the original the Colt is it. All mine are late 3rd generation guns from 1999 up. I feel they are definitely better quality especially in the finish. 45 is the only caliber I’m interested in. The last gun in the picture 4-3/4”BCH was from 2011,it had the best case colors I’ve seen,it now belongs to a Calgunner on here,whom I sold it to.

NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”

Last edited by GM4spd; 05-22-2020 at 9:00 AM..
Old 05-22-2020, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
I have three Colt SAA,I only shoot one of them. As much as I like Colt,if I was going to be shooting thousands of rounds thru a SA,I would find something else but for sheer looks of the original the Colt is it. All mine are late 3rd generation guns from 1999 up. I feel they are definitely better quality especially in the finish. 45 is the only caliber I’m interested in.

Those are certainly beautiful.
I like the concept of using .45ACP in them as well. Very nice!
Old 05-22-2020, 8:46 AM

When the Johnson county war ended the last group surrendered and turned in their firearms in 1892. 41 handguns included 39 Colts, 1 Smith and Wesson, and 1 Webley. 46 rifles including 40 Winchesters, couple of Sharps, and 4 Martinis. Winchesters were mostly 1873s and 1886 models.
Old 05-22-2020, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojaveman View Post
Watched a few Old West documentaries recently and decided that I want to get a Colt SAA ...
I had the SAA bug years ago. I started with Rugers but I had to have Colts. Of course it is a new season and I sold them off.

I liked the 4 3/4 inch for shooting 38 Specials and 44 Specials. The 45 Colt is better tamed out of a 7 1/2 inch.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
I have three Colt SAA,I only shoot one of them. As much as I like Colt,if I was going to be shooting thousands of rounds thru a SA,I would find something else but for sheer looks of the original the Colt is it. All mine are late 3rd generation guns from 1999 up. I feel they are definitely better quality especially in the finish. 45 is the only caliber I’m interested in. The last gun in the picture 4-3/4”BCH was from 2011,it had the best case colors I’ve seen,it now belongs to a Calgunner on here,whom I sold it to.

That's a nice collection of iron you got right there.

Last edited by Mojaveman; 05-24-2020 at 9:06 PM..
Old 05-23-2020, 7:25 AM

Year ago, I went with the 5.5" bbl for both the Ruger Vaquero large frame old model and also the newer frame model - both in 45 Colt.
But, I also bought a Ruger Blackhawk Flattop in 45 Colt with the 4.6" bbl in stainless - and really like that look, too.

The balance with either the 4.6" bbl or 5.5" bbl is good with the 45 Colt caliber since there is not a thick amount of steel in the barrel (unlike those in .357 that seem barrel heavy).
So - it really is your choice, but I would suggest handling some Italian clones or Vaqueros in your preferred caliber and different barrel lengths because the "Feel" is really what it's all about with these awesome SA revolvers...
Old 05-24-2020, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

John Taffin the SAA guru, wrote in his book on sixguns that the USFA is (was) the BEST ever made, with an exact copy of the 1st gen Colt SAA, ....and made in the same building that Colt was made in... “The Blue dome” in Hartford.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-Life member, CRPA

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><