Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2021, 9:06 AM

Default How to sell handgun to father in California? (intrafamilial interstate)

I have a Sig P250 .40 that I want to give to my father who lives in California. I live in Arizona where this wouldn't otherwise be an issue, but I want to follow the rules. Just an extra handgun I don't need anymore.

Where can I find out what the rules are to sell to him?
Is the handgun legal to own in CA? https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certifie...ch?make=150970 I don't see P250 listed on there...so is that a done deal?

I understand CA has no FTF transfers, but whats the deal?
Ship to a FFL AZ to CA, then he comes in to do the BG check?

Thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited by Ps2cho; 03-28-2021 at 9:09 AM..
Old 03-28-2021, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smarter minds will be here soon, but i think it’s legal to transfer your dad an off roster pistol as a gift since you’re his child.

You will have to ship it to a CA FFL and your dad go in and do DROS paperwork then wait 10 days to pick up the gun.

There will be DROS fees (~$48) and the FFL will charge fees to accept a gun shipped in. Make sure the FFL accepts pistols from an individual, and shop around for lower fees to accept the shipment.

Where is your dad located? Someone might know a good FFL close by.

Last edited by hunterb; 03-28-2021 at 9:20 AM..
Old 03-28-2021, 9:21 AM

To be clear, it must be a gift? He cannot pay me any monetary value for it? I was planning to almost give it to him as a gift as he'd new magazines for it since the two I have are 13rnd...but looks like 10rnd mags exist on ebay.
So even though its not on the roster, it would still be legal to ship to a FFL to do the transfer?

He is on orange county.
All these California rules, I feel awful for you. Hopefully some better senses prevail one day. All the criminals dont come on forums to ask what the rules are, they just hand it over with cash.

Last edited by Ps2cho; 03-28-2021 at 9:25 AM..
Old 03-28-2021, 9:28 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps2cho View Post
To be clear, it must be a gift? He cannot pay me any monetary value for it? I was planning to almost give it to him as a gift as he'd new magazines for it since the two I have are 13rnd...but looks like 10rnd mags exist on ebay.
So even though its not on the roster, it would still be legal to ship to a FFL to do the transfer?

He is on orange county.
All these California rules, I feel awful for you. Hopefully some better senses prevail one day. All the criminals dont come on forums to ask what the rules are, they just hand it over with cash.

No money should exchange hands to be safe. And it is already gonna cost him $37 plus a transfer fee, which could be $50 - $150 depending on where he is, and shipping and any fee you have to pay a FFL there to ship it. Just those fees and buying new mags will push the limits of what a P250 is worth, so how much more do you want your Dad to pay on top of that?

If you let us know what area of the state your Dad lives we can suggest some FFLs to get this done the easiest and perhaps at less cost.

Old 03-28-2021, 9:52 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

CA law question, so moved.

See the sticky on intrafamilial interstate transfer, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1179771

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:12 AM

Thanks. I have a lot of .40 ammo that I was going to give him...but now I look at that, maybe he can't even have the ammo either?

If I can't sell him the ammo either, then its almost certainly a worthless pursuit. Anybody know if theres a way he could get the ammo? About 500rnds
Old 03-28-2021, 11:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Parent to child transfer is safe handgun roster exempt.
Magazines need to be 10 rounds or fewer.

You would need to ship to FFL. Gift is totally fine.

Dad needs his firearm purchase card and real ID stuff to dros the firearm.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 03-28-2021, 11:29 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks. I have a lot of .40 ammo that I was going to give him...but now I look at that, maybe he can't even have the ammo either?

If I can't sell him the ammo either, then its almost certainly a worthless pursuit. Anybody know if theres a way he could get the ammo? About 500rnds
You could send the ammo to the same FFL as you send the gun (in a separate shipment) and it can be transferred to your dad at the same time.

PS - you *can* legally give or sell him the ammo

Old 03-28-2021, 11:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Must be gift ship to ca ffl that understands how to do it. Here in socal we have ffls that are brighter than a church mouse and familiar with process. Ace Pawn, Shootsocal. He can have the ammo. You could drive ammo and firearm here and go to ffl to do dros and transfer. He needs fsc, real ca d/l or a birth cert with other d/l . Something like utility bill, phone bill for additional proof of residence.
Old 03-28-2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Must be gift ship to ca ffl that understands how to do it. Here in socal we have ffls that are brighter than a church mouse and familiar with process. Ace Pawn, Shootsocal. He can have the ammo. You could drive ammo and firearm here and go to ffl to do dros and transfer. He needs fsc, real ca d/l or a birth cert with other d/l . Something like utility bill, phone bill for additional proof of residence.
That would be perfect - I actually thought I had to ship it. I can drive out there and do the gift transfer and ammo, then he can pick it up after the wait period.

Thanks all, I'll probably call Shootsocal and double check over the phone that is permitted.
Old 03-28-2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
He is on orange county.
If your dad's in South OC, OC guns in Lake Forest is great.
Old 03-28-2021, 8:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

He lives in Orange County..?

Good. OC Guns on aspen street in Lake Forest will do it. Google

Put a note with a copy of your Arizona Drivers License that says
“I want my Dad, Joe Blow to have the gun gift from me, his son.
Serial number..bla bla. “

Put your dads phone number on that note inside the gun case.

Many gun stores are not answering the phone. Or the line is busy because
They call line two and place themselves on hold. Usually a line for DROS forms
About 10 in the morning. They let 6 people in at a time. Others let 2 in. Others
Have you write your cell number and you sit in your car until they call you in.

Since you mentioned it’s a gift then the gun store won’t collect sales tax. Don’t mention it’s a gift and they charge Dad..

Handguns have to ship overnight. It might be worth it to pay a FFL in Arizona
(Cheaper because they are allowed to use Priority Mail. We’re not.)

Insure the weapon.

Yeah, the .40 ammo separate. Same thing...Gift from you. Phone # inside...etc.

If you dad doesn’t have his Firearms Safety Certificate (FSC) they will give you the test in OC Guns for $25 bucks.

Find one 10 round mag for dad. Stay legal.

I did a transfer and the fee was $75 bucks and that included the DROS.

Good luck.
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-28-2021, 8:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike88 View Post
If your dad's in South OC, OC guns in Lake Forest is great.
You beat me by 7 minutes Mike...😎

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-29-2021, 4:51 AM

The ammo does not need to be transferred through an FFL or ammo vendor. CA law allows you to sell or transfer ammo to dad without the ammo background check. Transfers between children, parents, and grandparents are exempt from the background check. You can even drive it to him and transfer to him FTF or he can come to you in Arizona and pick it up from you and legally drive it back to CA since he obtained it from you.

CA laws make no sense. If he purchased it in Arizona he cannot legally import it into CA, but if he purchase it from you in Arizona, then he can legally import it into CA.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 03-29-2021, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Not all FFL's accept ammo ship ins make sure first. I personally don't know a FFL that will do an interfamiliar transfer where the out of state parent/grandparent/child walks in shop and doesn't ship the gun.