Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > The Target Man - AR500 Shooting Targets
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 5:09 PM

Default Welding on the ar500

If I weld a hinge on the back of the gong is it likely to mess up the hardness in that area allowing bullets to tear it up?
Old 09-23-2012, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with that alloy but my guess is that the weld area would be glass hard and libel to break. That is a common problem with harden able steels. I think I would heat the heat effected to 600 degrees... or maybe I would get the specs on the alloy and go from there.
""When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged", 1957"
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 PM

Good question. The "technical answer" is yes. However, I have made several reactive type targets and never had a problem with hundreds upon hundreds of impacts. I would use the lowest heat settings. Generally, you don't need excellent penetration. You want to penetrate for sure, but don't get too crazy with the heat.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Build a shallow water tank so that the face of the plate stays underwater, but the back side that you are doing the welding on is just above the water level.
The water on the front of the steel will help keep the front face hard.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-24-2012, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

I like this idea Randall though I think the advantage is that it keeps the face from being heated to the hardening temp.

glad you're back
Mike
""When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged", 1957"
Old 09-24-2012, 9:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb View Post
I like this idea Randall though I think the advantage is that it keeps the face from being heated to the hardening temp.
I'm pretty sure that's why someone that welds targets for a living told me he does it that way...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.