Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 6:51 PM

Default AZ CCW permit (old mega thread, there is a new current mega thread now)

I came across an ad for arizonaconcealedcarry.com .

It states that I can get a non-resident AZ CCW permit by
-watching the 1 hour online video,
-take (and pass) an online test,
-pay a fee

This permit would allow me to legally carry a concealed firearm in the 29 listed States?

How can anything be that simple? It must be a scam.

(yes, I see it's not recognized in CA)

Last edited by Quiet; 03-18-2022 at 5:19 AM..
Old 08-31-2014, 7:03 PM

it is not a scam
Old 08-31-2014, 7:05 PM

Does it say it will fly in the 29 states? I don't think so but i'm not sure. My CA CCW class had a guy offering a little extra training/time to qualify for the other 29. If a CA CCW class alone didn't fly for the other 29 states I doubt a 1 hour online class alone will.
Old 08-31-2014, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

OP from what I can tell it is legit. Here is another for less money and they have testimonials left from facebook posts. Appears legit as well. Still have the fill out fingerprint cards but it looks like these places include them upon receiving your certificate of completion:

http://www.azccwonline.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
Does it say it will fly in the 29 states? I don't think so but i'm not sure. My CA CCW class had a guy offering a little extra training/time to qualify for the other 29. If a CA CCW class alone didn't fly for the other 29 states I doubt a 1 hour online class alone will.
The class doesn't have to qualify. If it meets the requirements for an AZ CCW you get the same AZ CCW as everybody else. Due to CCW reciprocity, you can therefore carry in any state that recognizes AZ CCW's. That is why some states do not have reciprocity with other states is the quality of training, and why some states neither offer nor recognize non-resident permits. CA doesn't recognize other permits, and of course there are no non-resident permits in CA.

Last edited by Josh3239; 08-31-2014 at 7:25 PM..
Old 08-31-2014, 7:26 PM

Ah, so as a somewhat get even game no other states recognize us, even though ours are one of the toughest? Well screw that guy that came to my class wanting a bunch of money and range time. If this is legit i'll just do this one online...
Old 08-31-2014, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Yea, I'm considering it too.

I actually spoke to soon. There are a fair amount of states that recognize CA CCWs; AK, TX, UT, and AZ do. Here's the map: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html. But not the other way around, CA won't recognize anyone else's. You have most of the country with AZ + CA.
Old 08-31-2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3239 View Post
Yea, I'm considering it too.

I actually spoke to soon. There are a fair amount of states that recognize CA CCWs; AK, TX, UT, and AZ do. Here's the map: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html. But not the other way around, CA won't recognize anyone else's. You have most of the country with AZ + CA.
Ah ok. I figured if someone can get a CCW in California that should be more than enough for most other states. At least it's a few.
Old 08-31-2014, 7:47 PM

Thank you for the replies.
Now my conundrum.
The company I drive for has a policy against firearms in their trucks (I do bring one of my bows on occasion).
I drive from CA to KS every week (through AZ, NM, TX, and OK), all on the list of 29.

Last edited by wpod; 08-31-2014 at 7:50 PM..
Old 08-31-2014, 7:58 PM

I'm sure someone can cite the actual codes but I believe anywhere they state no firearms renders your CCW invalid, at least in CA?
Old 08-31-2014, 9:18 PM

Quote:
I'm sure someone can cite the actual codes but I believe anywhere they state no firearms renders your CCW invalid, at least in CA?
Not exactly. In CA, there are certain places you are not allowed by statute to carry. Government buildings (local, state, and federal), establishments that serve alcohol as their primary business, gun shows, polling places, etc. If a privately-owned business posts a sign saying "No Fiearms", it doesn't invalidate your permit and it's not illegal to carry there. If they find you carrying, all they can do is ask you to leave. If you choose not to leave, then they can have you arrested for trespassing.
1518-B Los Angeles Avenue
Simi Valley, CA 93065
(805) 526-6563
www.fortcouragearmory.com
Old 08-31-2014, 9:32 PM

The Arizona CCW is really EASY to get... and it IS good in many other states making it a great investment if you travel.

Nothing below should be taken at face value. Contact Arizona DPS and a competent attorney do not rely on my babblings...

Having said that...

According to http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html an Arizona NON RESIDENT permit is good in the following states:
Quote:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
(Of course California is too good to recognize an Arizona permit....)

There is also a reciprocity table on the official Arizona Department of Public Safety Site here: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...s/Reciprocity/

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...ons/Questions/ says:
Quote:
It is extremely important that all Arizona Permit holders be aware of the CCW requirements and laws of all reciprocating/recognizing states. An Arizona CCW permit does not supersede any other state's law or CCW requirements. Persons carrying an Arizona permit are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting.

If you are an Arizona permit holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your Arizona permit, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there.

Some states only recognize permits from persons who are a resident of the issuing state.

Some states have an active CCW reciprocal agreement on file with the State of Arizona. This means your Arizona permit allows you to carry concealed under their respective state statute, and Arizona will reciprocate by recognizing CCW permits issued by these states, regardless of whether they are "Resident" or "Non-Resident," if so marked. Please click here for additional information.

Getting the Permit:

The people in the AZ CCW office are friendly and HELPFUL. They DO NOT treat applicants as societal pariahs. You can call and ask them questions and they even provide an 800 number. (800) 256-6280

In practice it takes 4-6 weeks to get a permit 75 days seems to be something of a usual max. The latest I read on an Arizona Shooting forum suggests that the current wait time is 34 days.

The application/issuance process is very easy. Call the above number or email them using this online form: https://www.azdps.gov/About/Contacts/Email/?c=CCW They will send you a large envelope with 2 fingerprint cards and a simple 2 page application. Remember to sign the ap in BOTH places. Get fingerprinted, drop the cards and the ap in the mail and be a little patient. If your computer check comes back clean and you do the paperwork right and whatnot their SHALL ISSUE system spits out a plastic credit card sized CCW for you within 2 months. See here for more details about prohibited persons and the other necessary legalities and policy guidelines: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...ermits/Obtain/

For a Californian, this process will be a culture shock for you. They treat applicants like it is a constitutional right to own and carry a firearm or something! (Of course as I understand it Arizona does not even require a CCW for people to carry there (in many places) at all... but the CCW gives you a few extra places you can go, and the big bonus is it gives you the rest of most of the United States. (check with a lawyer don't believe an internet post )

Speaking of culture shock, as part of the permit process you are required to become familiar with Arizona Statutes that cover carry and legal use of arms. Again for Californians these will be an amazing departure from what you are burdened with:
http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Links/
http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03102.htm

Training Issues:

As to the training requirement.. This is another easily met requirement. According to: http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

Quote:
1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.
2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.
3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.
5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.
6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
Emphasis added.

I would bet that 90+ percent of the people on CalGuns meet one or more of the above criteria ALREADY and do not even have to take another course!

Costs:

A NEW 5-year permit costs only 60 bucks.
Renewals are 43 dollars and do not require more fingerprints nor a refresher gun/safety course.

Arizona has almost a quarter of a million active permits in circulation. That's an easy 15 million dollars for their state.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AZCCWCapture.JPG (61.1 KB, 8180 views)
District of Columbia vs. Heller

Last edited by CG of MP; 08-31-2014 at 9:51 PM..
Old 09-01-2014, 6:34 AM

Use any existing firearms course, order the packet from Arizona, and you are good to go.
Old 09-01-2014, 7:57 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Arizona isn't the only state whose non-resident CCW training requirements are easy to meet. Florida, Oregon and Virginia have pretty much the same standards. That's why, just because I'm an NRA certified instructor, the one hour concealed carry scenario training I offer satisfies those four state's CCW training requirement.
Old 09-01-2014, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

I've got one. Mainly it was so I could CCW in Nevada, but that is a dead issue now. I'll still keep renewing though. I support states that support 2A (got one from Utah as well.)
Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ah, so as a somewhat get even game no other states recognize us, even though ours are one of the toughest?
The fact that very few counties in Kali issue a CCW permit does not make the ones that are issued, the process by which they are issued, or the standards by which they are issued necessarily any better than any other state's. It just means that most counties in kali refuse to let lawful citizens carry guns period. I suspect no other state's recognize Kali because Kali refuses to recognize anybody else's.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 09-01-2014 at 10:57 PM..
Old 09-02-2014, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

The AZ CCW permit is the easiest to get. But you can also pick up Utah and Florida with minimal effort. Lots of places offer a class that covers all three in about 4 hours. Then you file the paperwork with the various states, and poof! you legal to carry in around 35 states. Nevada and Oregon both require applying in person, but they are easy as well. While a lot of us here in CA can't get our permits for our home state until the dust settles in the Peruta (and other) cases, we can still be legal for most of the rest of the US. Besides, I see it as something that is worth having just in case they try to deny you for GMC here after Peruta. How are they going to say you don't have good moral character when several other states say that you do?

-Mb
Old 09-02-2014, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG of MP View Post
Training Issues:

As to the training requirement.. This is another easily met requirement. According to: http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.
2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.
3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.
5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.
6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
Since all states require completion of a hunter safety course to get a hunting license (most of these since the late 1950s or early 1960s) does having a expired Cali hunting license qualify for either #2 or #6?
Old 09-02-2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvengel View Post
Since all states require completion of a hunter safety course to get a hunting license (most of these since the late 1950s or early 1960s) does having a expired Cali hunting license qualify for either #2 or #6?

I would think so, but call them to be sure. They have pretty friendly and helpful folks answering the phone.
(800) 256-6280
District of Columbia vs. Heller
Old 09-02-2014, 7:29 PM

Default I have mine

They are easy to get, especially for CA retired military. It just takes a DD-214 (honorable) to meet all the criteria. I had mine for two years now and had to pull over in Yuma to strap on when I left the CA border. I drove to Texas, and then up to Northern Kansas and back again. I got pulled over by a AZ State Trooper leaving CA for speeding. I gave him my DL and AZ CCW out of respect. He told me he didn't need to see it. Long story short, he let me off with a warning (yeah).
Old 09-02-2014, 7:48 PM

Arizona... A constitution state- what a great place!
Old 09-02-2014, 8:09 PM

I lived in AZ for 10 years (1977 to 87). Should never have moved back home to CA.
Old 09-02-2014, 8:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This a probably a good time to mention. Arizona is a republican led state !
We could have it here too, if enough RKBA types would join the GOP and begin promoting the positive aspects such as we see in this thread .
Rant over.
Old 09-02-2014, 8:59 PM
Calguns Addict

So I emailed Arizona Department of Safety regarding the CCW packet and they said it is in the mail. It seems a California CCW class (and getting a CA CCW) would be enough to qualify for an AZ CCW, no extra class necessary. Plus I have the class for the CA HSC under my belt.
Old 09-03-2014, 5:43 PM

I think mine took about 60 days to arrive. It was easier than getting a driver's license (since I didn't have to go to a local office). It helps that military that I didn't have to attend extra training and that I could get fingerprinting done 2 blocks from work. This is one of those (less common than they used to be) instances where it pays off being in the military.
Old 09-04-2014, 1:01 AM

I got one Took 32 days. Guys, don't be too eager to to fork over your cash to one of these 'hack jobs' touting to get you an AZ ccw for 150bucks. Most people can do this themselves to meet the training requirement. Check w/AZ DPS. I had NRA instructor credentials; also hunters safety course.
Old 09-04-2014, 8:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just called and they are sending packet today.
As stated very nice and friendly people.
Thanks OP.
Old 09-04-2014, 9:12 AM

Quote:
So I emailed Arizona Department of Safety regarding the CCW packet and they said it is in the mail. It seems a California CCW class (and getting a CA CCW) would be enough to qualify for an AZ CCW, no extra class necessary. Plus I have the class for the CA HSC under my belt.
There's a class for the HSC?
When I bought my PX4 a few months back (my only handgun purchase in CA) was the 1st time I'd heard of an HSC. Took the test (about 5 minutes) and aced it.
Old 09-04-2014, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
When I bought my PX4 a few months back (my only handgun purchase in CA) was the 1st time I'd heard of an HSC. Took the test (about 5 minutes) and aced it.
I've never heard of a class either, but since it's a basic safety test I should think that most of the questions (if not all) would be covered by the Hunter's safety course in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dca965 View Post
CA CCW 2013 | Applied in person 11/4 | App approved 12/10 | Interview 12/17 | Denial (GC) Ltr. 1/14 | AZ CCW 2014 | Applied via mail 03/20 | Entered by DPS 05/02 | Approved 5/10 | Received 5/16 | OR CHL 2014 | Applied in person 04/17 | Approved 4/30 | Received 5/9 | WA CPL 2014 | Applied in person 04/18 | Approved 6/9 | Received 6/12 | NV CFP 2014 | Applied 09/25 | Received 1/15 | UT CFP 2015 | Applied 11/26 | Received 1/16
Old 09-04-2014, 9:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dca965 View Post
I've never heard of a class either, but since it's a basic safety test I should think that most of the questions (if not all) would be covered by the Hunter's safety course in CA.
I should have specified. There is a class to be an HSC instructor, that is to say to sign my name as on the HSC card as the issuer.
Old 09-04-2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
I should have specified. There is a class to be an HSC instructor, that is to say to sign my name as on the HSC card as the issuer.
That makes sense
Old 09-06-2014, 1:42 PM

If you don't meet the military/nra class exemptions, theres an online class here for $27.99
(Couldn't find my "hunter safety card" from jr high, so I needed a class)

http://www.azccwclasses.com/

Dps does accept this one for sure (just got my ccw using that credential). Current wait time about 6 weeks.

Also if you're anywhere near a live-scan fingerprinting place, dps accepts their "standard" fingerprint card & you're less likely to get rejected for "smudged" prints..

Last edited by UnknownShooter; 09-06-2014 at 2:27 PM..
Old 09-07-2014, 4:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownShooter View Post
If you don't meet the military/nra class exemptions, theres an online class here for $27.99
(Couldn't find my "hunter safety card" from jr high, so I needed a class)

http://www.azccwclasses.com/

Dps does accept this one for sure (just got my ccw using that credential). Current wait time about 6 weeks.

Also if you're anywhere near a live-scan fingerprinting place, dps accepts their "standard" fingerprint card & you're less likely to get rejected for "smudged" prints..

I did this class as well last week. Mailed all my docs, app, and processing fee. Hopefully it won't take too long. (4-6 weeks eta)
Old 09-07-2014, 8:45 PM

It's not a scam. I have one, just got it to carrying in the states that recognize the AZ permit.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG of MP View Post
The Arizona CCW is really EASY to get... and it IS good in many other states making it a great investment if you travel.

Nothing below should be taken at face value. Contact Arizona DPS and a competent attorney do not rely on my babblings...

Having said that...

According to http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html an Arizona NON RESIDENT permit is good in the following states:
(Of course California is too good to recognize an Arizona permit....)

There is also a reciprocity table on the official Arizona Department of Public Safety Site here: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...s/Reciprocity/

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...ons/Questions/ says:

Getting the Permit:

The people in the AZ CCW office are friendly and HELPFUL. They DO NOT treat applicants as societal pariahs. You can call and ask them questions and they even provide an 800 number. (800) 256-6280

In practice it takes 4-6 weeks to get a permit 75 days seems to be something of a usual max. The latest I read on an Arizona Shooting forum suggests that the current wait time is 34 days.

The application/issuance process is very easy. Call the above number or email them using this online form: https://www.azdps.gov/About/Contacts/Email/?c=CCW They will send you a large envelope with 2 fingerprint cards and a simple 2 page application. Remember to sign the ap in BOTH places. Get fingerprinted, drop the cards and the ap in the mail and be a little patient. If your computer check comes back clean and you do the paperwork right and whatnot their SHALL ISSUE system spits out a plastic credit card sized CCW for you within 2 months. See here for more details about prohibited persons and the other necessary legalities and policy guidelines: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...ermits/Obtain/

For a Californian, this process will be a culture shock for you. They treat applicants like it is a constitutional right to own and carry a firearm or something! (Of course as I understand it Arizona does not even require a CCW for people to carry there (in many places) at all... but the CCW gives you a few extra places you can go, and the big bonus is it gives you the rest of most of the United States. (check with a lawyer don't believe an internet post )

Speaking of culture shock, as part of the permit process you are required to become familiar with Arizona Statutes that cover carry and legal use of arms. Again for Californians these will be an amazing departure from what you are burdened with:
http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Links/
http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03102.htm

Training Issues:

Emphasis added.

I would bet that 90+ percent of the people on CalGuns meet one or more of the above criteria ALREADY and do not even have to take another course!

Costs:

A NEW 5-year permit costs only 60 bucks.
Renewals are 43 dollars and do not require more fingerprints nor a refresher gun/safety course.

Arizona has almost a quarter of a million active permits in circulation. That's an easy 15 million dollars for their state.
I don't see the value in a AZ license as you don't get All upper states, like NV, OR, Wa etc these are many we are most likely to travel through
Old 09-08-2014, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark49 View Post
I don't see the value in a AZ license as you don't get All upper states, like NV, OR, Wa etc these are many we are most likely to travel through
Not me. I'm mostly southern States so it would be valuable to have.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Tagged
Old 09-25-2014, 3:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I travel to Arizona way more often than Nevada or Oregon. Arizona CCW arrived today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 09-28-2014, 8:32 AM

The iPhone app Concealed Carry App - CCW Law and Reciprocity is superb. You designate the state you live in, and then you add permits from any state. Shows where you can carry.

Shows states that allow non-resident permits; shows summary of laws for each state (must notify officer, state parks, liquor, vehicle, etc).

And it is beautiful and well thought out too.
- NRA Life Member

Last edited by GoZoner; 09-28-2014 at 8:35 AM..
Old 09-28-2014, 10:35 AM

AZ + UT

Easy to get both and you're only missing NV, OR, CO and CA. Well, not counting the liberal anti-gun enclaves back east.
http://www.rrarms.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/5/g534174114.jpg"A gun is like a parachute, if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
Old 09-28-2014, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
I travel to Arizona way more often than Nevada or Oregon. Arizona CCW arrived today.
did you use your Ca CCW for proof of training?

Yes... and this! http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/87senrpt.pdf

Good Guys with Guns HERE
Closed Thread