Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-10-2015, 11:25 AM

Default Renewing CCW

Butte county has changed renewal procedures, contact sheriffs office a month in advance of your CCW expiration. It is taking them up to 3 weeks to get letters out for renewal qualification.
Old 01-03-2016, 8:32 PM

Default CCW residency in Butte County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNorthern View Post
Does anyone know the length of time required in California (all time spent living in Butte county) to meet the requirement in regards to residency to be good to go for applying for a CCW? Moved back here in April. Haven't been able to find anything specific online. Thanks.
It is 1 year. The info. is on the Butte County Sheriffs Office web site with the CCW application.
Old 01-04-2016, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittman2564 View Post
It is 1 year. The info. is on the Butte County Sheriffs Office web site with the CCW application.
Could post a link? I can't find it.
Old 01-04-2016, 9:04 PM

I have an approval letter from Butte County. There is no expiration date listed on the letter. Does it expire? I received my letter probably a couple of years ago and never went to take the class to actually obtain my CCW... I know, dumb. Does anyone know if it expires or if I would be denied by the CCW instructors?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford347 View Post
I have an approval letter from Butte County. There is no expiration date listed on the letter. Does it expire? I received my letter probably a couple of years ago and never went to take the class to actually obtain my CCW... I know, dumb. Does anyone know if it expires or if I would be denied by the CCW instructors?
I believe that in the past they expired in 30 days but now they are good for 60. In any event, you will have to reapply. Even if you had completed the process permits are only good for two years.
Old 01-05-2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
I believe that in the past they expired in 30 days but now they are good for 60. In any event, you will have to reapply. Even if you had completed the process permits are only good for two years.
Thank you. I should have followed through. Lesson learned.
Josh
Old 01-05-2016, 4:00 PM

I own a houseboat up in Butte county and dont know if that qualifies for some level of residence there to get my carry. Can anyone answer on this? Basically pay taxes for it up there and live in Santa Clara county. Tired of trying to work Santa clara county here.
Old 01-10-2016, 6:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richt View Post
I own a houseboat up in Butte county and dont know if that qualifies for some level of residence there to get my carry. Can anyone answer on this? Basically pay taxes for it up there and live in Santa Clara county. Tired of trying to work Santa clara county here.
From the Butte County 'CCW Instructions';

" Please bring with you valid photo identification. If the address on your I.D. is not your
current physical address then you will also need to provide proof of residency. Bring
a copy of your rental agreement, tax bill, utility bill or other proof showing that
you reside in the County of Butte. "
Old 01-18-2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
From the Butte County 'CCW Instructions';

" Please bring with you valid photo identification. If the address on your I.D. is not your
current physical address then you will also need to provide proof of residency. Bring
a copy of your rental agreement, tax bill, utility bill or other proof showing that
you reside in the County of Butte. "
Well I have a tax bill and can provide that to show property tax paid there for the houseboat on Lake oroville but the question is does that count to fill the requirements to apply there?
I spend a bunch of time on the houseboat in the summer.
Old 01-19-2016, 4:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richt View Post
Well I have a tax bill and can provide that to show property tax paid there for the houseboat on Lake oroville but the question is does that count to fill the requirements to apply there?
I spend a bunch of time on the houseboat in the summer.
I think the requirement is to show proof of county residence. Personally, I think the county accepting revenue in the form of property tax for a houseboat should satisfy that requirement.

What the county thinks may be another thing entirely.
Old 02-06-2016, 8:27 AM

Just got my and The Mrs approval in the mail, time to get the class taken care of!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2016, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWLTLK View Post
Just got my and The Mrs approval in the mail, time to get the class taken care of!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took the class from the Chico Gun club at the building in the park. I thought the class was great.
Old 03-10-2016, 6:16 PM

Went to Azevedo Firearms Training in Biggs, very well done and small class size.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:55 AM

Just talked to sheriffs department on this and they aren't willing to accept tax records for a houseboat as it can be moved anytime. Even with ten years of being there. They said perhaps try again at a later date and see if the position changes. If anyone has further info or suggestions I am willing to try again.

BTW they were great on the phone and a pleasant experience! Wish Santa clara was a nice.
Old 02-05-2017, 8:44 AM

Got approval letter. Now, where should I go for training?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Handguns are a skill; shotguns an art; rifles a science.

What color is your Kool-aid?
Old 02-05-2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenamaxtle View Post
Got approval letter. Now, where should I go for training?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I took mine at the Chico Gun Club. Not a lot of hands-on training (none, other than actually qualifying), but the class was informative, IMO. IIRC, it was also less expensive than most.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:10 PM

Anybody renew lately? How long did it take?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2017, 4:19 PM

Wondering what the turnaround time is from application to approval. Anyone able to give me an estimate?
Old 06-17-2017, 5:02 PM

2-3 months
Old 06-17-2017, 6:34 PM

Crap, thanks.
Old 07-06-2017, 9:01 AM

Just got back from sheriff for renewal. Said it would take about 3 weeks to get letter and letter good for 90 days from when it's dated (this is renewal letter, not sure if the same for first one).

I was there about 10 minutes. I was one of 3 people there at 9am, we were all renewing out permits. Gota love Butte county sometimes.
Old 07-24-2017, 3:38 PM

Just took my 4hr renewal course today from Brian at Down Range. I'm not a huge DR fan but thought the class was great, I would absolutely take another class from Brian. I liked the fact you shoot a bit more than 10 rounds per gun(well you pick a gun). Did semi rapid fire and 10 yards. He was trying to stress a bad guy isn't guna just stand there and how much your shooting will deteriorate when shooting fast at different lengths under stress. Trying to emphasize practice.

Anyway, 18 days so far and haven't got renewal letter from Sheriff.
Old 08-15-2017, 6:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Chico - the only city in California named after a Marx brother.

Just got my license yesterday. It took around 2 months total time. My good cause was "self-defense, I live in a rural area". Took my class from Dennis Barrett at Black Oak Training. He's a great instructor ( NRA Distinguished Expert in Defensive Pistols (I and II)) and I learned a lot from him beyond just what was necessary for the test.
The Butte County CCW application is available here: http://www.buttecounty.net/sheriffcoroner/records.aspx
Black Oak Training - http://www.blackoaktraining.com/index.html

"People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society." Marko - http://jpfo.org/articles-assd02/marko.htm/

Last edited by jojosdad; 08-15-2017 at 6:24 PM.. Reason: added Black Oak Training url
Old 09-06-2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
Just got back from sheriff for renewal. Said it would take about 3 weeks to get letter and letter good for 90 days from when it's dated (this is renewal letter, not sure if the same for first one).

I was there about 10 minutes. I was one of 3 people there at 9am, we were all renewing out permits. Gota love Butte county sometimes.

Got my renewal letter dated Aug 4th(July 6th-Aug 4th). So looks like it's taking about a month to renew.
Old 10-10-2017, 7:09 PM

Hey everyone, I read on here that you have to be a resident for at least a year? My situation is kind of tricky. I’ve been living here for a year and a half but wasn’t on the lease at my girlfriends place for the first year. I’ve been working in the county for the same amount of time though. We got our own place in June, and now I have a lease showing that. Will not being on the lease for the first year living in Chico not allow me to get my CCW? All my mail, taxes, and work pay all had her address as my home, because that’s where I lived. Any advice would help! Thanks.
Old 10-10-2017, 7:31 PM

Pretty sure there's no requirement that you live there a year. I hadn't lived in Butte County for anywhere near a year when I applied.
Old 10-10-2017, 7:38 PM

I read the persons comment wrong. They were talking about moving back to California and what length of time to be considered a resident. Scared me! Thanks for the reply, and glad I went back and reread their comment.
Old 06-30-2019, 4:29 PM

Time to renew again. Just looked at the Sheriffs website and it looks like the renewal has gone online. Have any of you done the new online renewal scanning and uploading docs?

How long is it currently taking to process?
Old 07-01-2019, 5:40 AM

Took about three weeks back in March, from when I started until I got the class approval. it feels longer to wait after you scan your class results and wait for the license to be mailed

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Handguns are a skill; shotguns an art; rifles a science.

What color is your Kool-aid?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Someone I know just got their initial permit in Butte. Less than 30 days from application to approval, and a few days more to get the permit (which surprises me, as it is an 8.5” by 11” sheet, not a wallet card, and not laminated).
Old 10-01-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
Someone I know just got their initial permit in Butte. Less than 30 days from application to approval, and a few days more to get the permit (which surprises me, as it is an 8.5” by 11” sheet, not a wallet card, and not laminated).
Maybe they didn't cut it? Just renewed in Aug, it's just a double CC size paper, folded over it's CC wallet size.

You have always had to pay a fee to get it laminated. I didn't see that option on the online renewal without bringing card back in to have it done in person. My last one they just folded over then laminated it making a double sided laminated card that didn't really fit in my wallet well.
Old 10-02-2019, 8:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Chico - the only city in California named after a Marx brother.

This was my experience as well.
I just bought a box of 3M lamination papers and did it myself after carefully folding and cutting the permit to CC size.

"People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society." Marko - http://jpfo.org/articles-assd02/marko.htm/
Old 04-06-2020, 5:10 PM

My paper permit just came in today. It folded into a nice credit card size and was taken to a UPS store for lamination.
Old 05-28-2020, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaCluck View Post
My paper permit just came in today. It folded into a nice credit card size and was taken to a UPS store for lamination.
How was your experience with the process?
I completed the online application and I have my appointment next month for the Livescan.
Old 05-28-2020, 2:10 PM

For a few more bucks, they'll laminate it for you.
Old 05-28-2020, 2:53 PM

The process was straightforward, took a bit longer than I anticipated but it was over the holidays and then CV19 hit. Took class at Chico Gun Club and qualified there. I think they are now open again for CCW classes. My permit was mailed to me. I did call about them laminating it for the $4 but she said to just get it laminated anywhere so I went to a UPS store for $2.

The Livescan took about ten minutes.
Old 07-29-2021, 8:48 AM

Renewed again, (everything online other than the class) got the email/text that I was approved in 2 weeks. (actual card taking longer).

Last edited by Norcalkid; 07-29-2021 at 8:55 AM..
Old 12-07-2021, 3:54 PM

What exactly is the process in Butte County? I applied and was given a LiveScan date two months out...which took last week. I assume the LiveScan is either being processed or was just processed.

What next?

Thank you.
Old 12-12-2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicopilot View Post
What exactly is the process in Butte County? I applied and was given a LiveScan date two months out...which took last week. I assume the LiveScan is either being processed or was just processed.

What next?

Thank you.
I applied Sep 10th 2021, did the live scan Sep 29th, Oct 19th I got an email from the Sheriff asking about a conviction for reckless driving (2014), a warrant (2015), and why my ex wife was granted a restraining order in 2010, I got my approval letter Oct 27th, did my class Nov 7th with Dennis at Black Oak Training, received my permit in the mail the day before Thanksgiving.
Old 12-12-2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pew.pew.pew View Post
I applied Sep 10th 2021, did the live scan Sep 29th, Oct 19th I got an email from the Sheriff asking about a conviction for reckless driving (2014), a warrant (2015), and why my ex wife was granted a restraining order in 2010, I got my approval letter Oct 27th, did my class Nov 7th with Dennis at Black Oak Training, received my permit in the mail the day before Thanksgiving.
I don't get how that happened so quickly. I applied on September 19th, didn't do the LiveScan until the first few days of December. Now nearly two weeks later I haven't heard anything...but it looks like about 20 days from when you did your LiveScan until they asked you questions.

Anyway, thanks for the response, I appreciate it.