Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-04-2019, 3:34 PM

Default Help identifying old FN 270 rifle

Hoping someone with more familiarity of old FN rifles than me can help ID this rifle.

A friend just inherited it from his father in law but doesn’t shoot and has no use for it. I’ve offered to buy it but I have no idea what it’s worth and don’t want to pay him what I *think* it’s worth (to me) and have it turn out that it’s something valuable.

Vintage is unknown but I have taken it to the range and even with its hazy 70’s vintage Banner 3-9 scope it is an absolute tack driver with factory ammo. 24” barrel

The action is installed in a Ram-Line synthetic stock.

There are very few markings. What I can read just says

FAB. NAT. D’ARMES de GUERRE
HERSTAL - BELGIQUE

It appears to have been refinished, as the proof marks are mostly worn off/filled in. I think it has the nitro proof “crown over PV” but it is barely discernible. Serial number appears to be 18537. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2019, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Your rifle's action is from a Military 98 that FN produced that has been sporterized into a hunting rifle long ago. Your action has the thumb clip cutout.

After WWII, FN produced a lot of commercial 98 actions that were used in a number of commercialy manufactured rifles. I have a JC Higgins (Sears) model 50 in 270 Win. that is one of these actions. A very good rifle that has taken a number of Deer and Hogs.
Old 08-04-2019, 5:10 PM

Thank you. That gets me a step closer. My guess is that it was rebarreled in 270 when it was sporterized because that’s the only marking that is crisp.

Any idea as to FMV? Or a reasonable bid/ask spread?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

Old 08-04-2019, 5:18 PM

Looks like a mix master of parts. Receiver is serial number 537, Floor plate is 219, trigger guard is 523, I could not see any number on the top of the bolt next to the 3-positon safety, but if the bolt matches the receiver, all the better. Overall the rifle looks to be in good shape.

Best guess on the value is $350+ to $500+/-. The 98 action is very desirable for any bolt action builds. Just my two cents worth.

Best regards,
870classic.
Old 08-04-2019, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

My guess is this action started out as a FN M1930 built after 1937-8. Sporterized and rebarreled (not badly done but definitely budget built). Ballpark worth $300-400.

The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-04-2019, 10:14 PM

Thank you all for the info!

Old 08-06-2019, 5:58 PM

I have a Sears JC Higgins in 30-06. It’s an FN similar to yours, great rifle.
I’d guess that rifle is worth $300.
Old 08-08-2019, 8:58 AM

It looks like there might be a Turkish star over crescent on the receiver. More will chime in I'm sure. Remove the scope base and see whats under it. As others have said, $300 maybe.
Old 09-01-2019, 8:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
It looks like there might be a Turkish star over crescent on the receiver. More will chime in I'm sure. Remove the scope base and see whats under it. As others have said, $300 maybe.
That’s my take too; started life as a Turkish Mauser.
Old 09-02-2019, 6:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't think it was a Turkish Mauser. It appears to be a Chinese contract "FN" crested Model 1930 rifle receiver which was later sportered here in the US.

The "FN" marking on the Chinese contract had the "FN" surrounded by a single line oval which can be seen on the OP's rifle.

Many Chinese FN Mauser rifles were imported in the 50's and 60's so they were used as a base for many sporters.

It's not a FN commercial receiver as the side rail markings are not correct for their commercial receivers.

The " * over O " proof indicates that the rifle was originally proofed by Charles Watrin at FN. He proofed rifles and actions from 1928 until 1965.

Value is around $300

It's a shooter only.

Below are some pic's of a FN made action in a custom rifle. You can see the differences in the side rail markings as well as the lack of the thumb cutout on the left side of the receiver. You can also see the commercial FN crest which is surrounded by two ovals.

Additionally on the trigger guard and cocking piece you can see the FN date code (1 partially surrounded by a box.) this indicates the parts were produced early in 1951.

The fit and finish of the FN commercial actions is readily apparent.

Interestingly my rifle's action was proofed by the same fellow (Charles Watrin) as your rifle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Last edited by SVT-40; 09-02-2019 at 7:23 AM..
Old 09-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with the $300 figure myself. Ramline stock would be replaced ASAP, new scope, etc. No info on who made the barrel, etc. From what I can see, it looks like an after-market trigger.

Nothing special, but probably a good hunting rifle with a couple changes.