Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-02-2018, 12:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As you can see from my post at:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=21148256

Quote:
The Sheriff’s Office handles concealed carry applications from unincorporated county areas Cloverdale, Cotati, Healdsburg, Sonoma and Windsor.

Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa and Sebastopol police departments issue their own licenses following countywide standards approved by the Sonoma County Law Enforcement Chief Association.
You folk had better make sure Essick will resind any Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) with city chiefs to not issue to city residents. You need Essick to issue to ALL Sonoma Co residents, regardless of whether they live in a city that issues it's own CCWs or not. Otherwise, residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa and Sebastopol -- ~275k out of county population of 500k, over half the people -- will be no better off than they are currently, unless the Sonoma Co LE Chief's Assoc also liberalizes their GC policy.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-03-2018 at 5:54 PM..
Old 01-03-2019, 11:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here's the current SO CCW GC requirement. Hopefully, it will significantly change sometime after Mark Essick becomes sheriff on Jan 07.

I've bolded the parts (a) and (b) either of those are the hurdles most law-abiding applicants will have to pass.

Quote:
GOOD CAUSE FOR ISSUANCE:

The applicant must establish that there is good cause for the Sheriff to issue a California Concealed Weapons (CCW) license in the County of Sonoma. The defensive benefit of carrying a concealed firearm in public must be weighed against the risk of surprise to law enforcement, the risk of avoidable and dangerous conflict escalation in a public setting, and the risk to general public safety that discharging firearms poses to law enforcement and bystanders alike; therefore, the Sheriff has determined that good cause to issue a CCW license will generally only exist in conditions of necessity. Accordingly, applicants should be able to provide convincing evidence of the following:

(a) There is an existing and significant threat of death or grave bodily injury to the applicant, or his/her immediate family, which cannot be reasonably avoided or adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which threat would be significantly mitigated by the carrying of a concealed weapon.

(b) The applicant establishes that circumstances exist requiring him or her to transport in public significant amounts of valuable, or inherently dangerous property, which would be impractical to entrust to the protection of an armored car or equivalent service for the safe transportation of valuables.

(c) The applicant is currently employed by a security firm having all requisite licenses, and provides satisfactory proof that his or her work is of a nature that requires the carrying of a concealed weapon in public.

(d) The applicant is a duly appointed Sonoma County Reserve Deputy as defined in Penal Code ยง 830.6.

(e) The applicant is a member of the magistrate either presiding and/or residing in the County of Sonoma.
More at: https://www.sonomasheriff.org/ccw/

Last edited by Paladin; 01-04-2019 at 6:17 PM..
Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 AM

Thanks Paladin!
Old 01-04-2019, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
As you can see from my post at:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=21148256

Quote:
The Sheriff’s Office handles concealed carry applications from unincorporated county areas Cloverdale, Cotati, Healdsburg, Sonoma and Windsor.

Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa and Sebastopol police departments issue their own licenses following countywide standards approved by the Sonoma County Law Enforcement Chief Association.
You folk had better make sure Essick will resind any Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) with city chiefs to not issue to city residents. You need Essick to issue to ALL Sonoma Co residents, regardless of whether they live in a city that issues it's own CCWs or not. Otherwise, residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa and Sebastopol -- ~275k out of county population of 500k, over half the people -- will be no better off than they are currently, unless the Sonoma Co LE Chief's Assoc also liberalizes their GC policy.
Bump to remind you Sonoma folk (No, I don't live in Sonoma Co either....), that just because Essick is pro-CCW and will become sheriff on Monday, that does NOT necessarily mean it will be of any benefit to you if you live in one of those cities.... You have to find out if he will change the current policy and issue to residents of those cities (which are >1/2 of the county's population).
Old 01-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Hey, they voted him in. They wanted this kind of bull****.

until someone is willing to go to court.....nothing will change. Liberalism.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillaFunk View Post
Hey, they voted him in. They wanted this kind of bull****.

until someone is willing to go to court.....nothing will change. Liberalism.
Not sure what you're talking about.

My post #643 was of the current sheriff's GC policy, not Essick's -- he doesn't take office until tomorrow.

My post #645 re. the Sonoma Co SO not issuing CCWs to residents of those cities was, again, the current sheriff's policy, not Essick's. I was pointing out Sonoma Co folk need to find out if he'll rescind those MOUs and issue to all county residents, whether in or out of cities.
Old 01-06-2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Here's the current SO CCW GC requirement. Hopefully, it will significantly change sometime after Mark Essick becomes sheriff on Jan 07.

I've bolded the parts (a) and (b) either of those are the hurdles most law-abiding applicants will have to pass.

GOOD CAUSE FOR ISSUANCE:

The applicant must establish that there is good cause for the Sheriff to issue a California Concealed Weapons (CCW) license in the County of Sonoma. The defensive benefit of carrying a concealed firearm in public must be weighed against the risk of surprise to law enforcement, the risk of avoidable and dangerous conflict escalation in a public setting, and the risk to general public safety that discharging firearms poses to law enforcement and bystanders alike; therefore, the Sheriff has determined that good cause to issue a CCW license will generally only exist in conditions of necessity. Accordingly, applicants should be able to provide convincing evidence of the following:

(a) There is an existing and significant threat of death or grave bodily injury to the applicant, or his/her immediate family, which cannot be reasonably avoided or adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which threat would be significantly mitigated by the carrying of a concealed weapon.

(b) The applicant establishes that circumstances exist requiring him or her to transport in public significant amounts of valuable, or inherently dangerous property, which would be impractical to entrust to the protection of an armored car or equivalent service for the safe transportation of valuables.

More at: https://www.sonomasheriff.org/ccw/

Paladin, it is important to remind people that there is another prong here that the Sheriff considers besides good cause. If you are too much of a risk factor, your good cause will not be good enough. For someone to have the best chances at getting approved they need to establish why they wouldn't be a risk. This is extremely hard to prove but may be a little easier now that people have RAW's. If the government trusts you to possess an otherwise illegal assault weapon, why couldn't they trust you to carry a handgun. it seems like a dumb point to make but with gov agencies its always a CYA mentality. They will need things to point to that allows them to have deniability. alls they care about is keeping their job and not getting sued.

Failing to proactivly establish you are not a risk and leaving that part to the sheriffs imagination will not win you any points and will probably work against you.

Last edited by caliguy93; 01-06-2019 at 5:46 PM..
Old 01-07-2019, 12:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
My post #643 was of the current sheriff's GC policy, not Essick's -- he doesn't take office until tomorrow.
Sounds like I was wrong: Essick legally took office midnight of Jan 1st. (Or is that midnight of Dec 31st?) The ceremonial swearing in takes/took place today, at noon IIRC.

Quote:
At the stroke of midnight, Essick will begin his post as the county’s top lawman, with a later swearing-in ceremony scheduled for Monday.

As for Giordano, after he left his office for the last time Monday evening he said he likely won’t be awake for the countdown to Essick taking the baton after 2019 and his new elected job start.

“I’ll probably be sleeping,” Giordano said, laughing. “I’m going crabbing in the morning (Tuesday) in Bodega Bay.”
More at: https://www.sonomanews.com/news/9125...ordano?sba=AAS

But I believe that CCW policy quote above is from the previous sheriff. I'd guess Essick's new policy will be up in the next few weeks. LIke it or not, CCWs are usually a low priority for sheriffs. Dealing with unions, jails, BoS politicians, "community leaders" (rabble rousers), and lawsuits take priority.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-07-2019 at 2:11 PM..
Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
Paladin, it is important to remind people that there is another prong here that the Sheriff considers besides good cause. If you are too much of a risk factor, your good cause will not be good enough. For someone to have the best chances at getting approved they need to establish why they wouldn't be a risk. This is extremely hard to prove but may be a little easier now that people have RAW's. If the government trusts you to possess an otherwise illegal assault weapon, why couldn't they trust you to carry a handgun. it seems like a dumb point to make but with gov agencies its always a CYA mentality. They will need things to point to that allows them to have deniability. alls they care about is keeping their job and not getting sued.

Failing to proactivly establish you are not a risk and leaving that part to the sheriffs imagination will not win you any points and will probably work against you.
Sorry. Respectfully disagree.

IMO, bring up RAWs is a not a good move, or even a neutral move, it is a bad move. Look at the voter registration stats for Marin, Sonoma and Napa counties -- all Dem strongholds. Just because there a large portions that are "country" does not make them conservative or pro-gun. Even mentioning RAWs puts you, IMO, in the "gun nut" category. A far better move is to read the advice I compiled for applying for a CoCoCo SO CCW and use that, pattern yourself after that. I go over Good Moral Character (GMC) which determines the level of risk you're likely to be if granted a CCW.

Here's the link to it: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

Last edited by Paladin; 01-07-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Old 01-07-2019, 6:01 PM

Hard to tell for sure what the sheriffs reaction would be with regards to RAWs but it is beyond the point I was trying to make. The sheriff also wants to know you are not a risk. You can’t not address that portion of the their requirements that I highlighted in my previous points.
Old 01-09-2019, 7:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hard to tell for sure what the sheriffs reaction would be with regards to RAWs but it is beyond the point I was trying to make. The sheriff also wants to know you are not a risk. You can’t not address that portion of the their requirements that I highlighted in my previous points.
That's what their GMC evaluation does. They decide the standard for that (recommendation letters from non-relatives living in the county; psych evals; how many years since a DUI, etc), just like with GC. No need to make up your own requirements. You don't want to talk yourself out of a CCW by bringing up controversial stuff they don't bring up....

But, of course, do what you want and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-09-2019 at 7:31 PM..
Old 01-10-2019, 8:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Rather than speculate on how Sheriff Essick may react to bring up RAWs, here's what folks who actually received CCWs from Sheriff Livingston of CoCoCo said mattered re. GMC. Sheriffs tend to think alike re. these qualities even if they differ on their conclusions (i.e., their GC and/or GMC standards).

Quote:
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER

Best is clean criminal background check: no misdemeanors or felonies. Ideally, you haven’t had any contact with LEOs for “drama,” even if there were no charges (domestic disturbance calls, auto accidents, etc).

What can you do to help the sheriff determine that you have GMC? Do you support law enforcement charities, do volunteer work (local animal shelter, homeless shelter, suicide help line, clinics, youth mentor programs, retirement homes, etc.)? Attach on a separate sheet of paper. Can you provide reference letters from those organization, or from other people the Sheriff would respect? None of this is required, but nothing is refused. Show that you are a “pillar of the community”, invested in the community, and of exemplary, not just good, moral character. All this will help the SO in their assessment of your character. The Sheriff says he evaluates "the whole person" in making his decision. You don't want your "whole person" to just say "Self Defense.”

Maybe look at the causes that the Posse Charity funds to find the organizations the sheriff obviously approves of.
https://www.cocoposse.com/sheriff-s-charities#!

An alternative to the Posse could be the 100 Club where Livingston is on the board. http://100clubcontracostacounty.org/
ETA: I forgot to mention that the CGNers who got CoCoCo CCWs were the ones that told me it is important to avoid anything that makes you look like a "gun nut."

Last edited by Paladin; 01-12-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Old 01-13-2019, 9:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I forgot an even better reason NOT to bring up RAWs. If you watch these videos, in one of them (the 2nd one I think), Essick, IIRC, said he is for banning AWs....

Quote:
Another video, this from the end of August, where now sheriff-elect Essick talks about CCWs (11:55 to 13:50) to the Republican Party of Sonoma Co.

It was disappointing to hear that a Republican activist at that gathering did not know what "CCW" stood for.

Plus, Essick did NOT say he'd accept SD=GC, and, by specifically stating that he'd require an "articulable reason" for getting a CCW, he ruled that out. My impression is that he'll take Sonoma Co either to "light green" (example of sufficient GC: "I need a CCW for when I go backpacking in areas w/o cell phone coverage and thus no LE response. Here's map of areas I've been to and photos from those areas."), to "dark green" (example of sufficient GC: "I'm an avid shooter who regularly goes to the range with several semiauto handguns and hundreds of rounds of ammo, making me a target for armed robbery. Thus, I need a CCW to protect my guns and to defend myself. Here's copies of my club membership card and dues receipts. Here's photos of me shooting.")

Almost forgot: earlier in the video he says he takes office at noon on January 7th. I'd have my CCW app and GC statement ready to be turned it at 12:01pm that day, if I lived in Sonoma Co.

ETA: Sheriff-elect Essick gives us some current (he probably just called those sheriffs and asked them), rough CCW estimates for Sonoma and nearby counties.

Sonoma pop.: 500k
#CCWs: 135

Solano pop.: 450k
#CCWs: just under 6,000

Mendo pop.: 90k
#CCWs: 3,000

ETA2: Here's the rest of Essick's Sonoma Co GOP presentation/Q&A

ETA3: Essick talks about guns/2nd A RKBA in this video at: 30 sec to 3:15 ; 15:00 to 15:45 and 35:10 to 40:20

Old 01-22-2019, 7:10 AM
Veteran Member

Any thoughts on how long it will be to get a new CCW policy out, if there will be one? Two weeks?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Any thoughts on how long it will be to get a new CCW policy out, if there will be one? Two weeks?
No idea. Call/email/FB them. Ask for CCW person. Ask them and let us know.
Old 01-29-2019, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Almost 3 weeks later and it looks like the old CCW policy is still on the website: https://www.sonomasheriff.org/ccw

From the below Jan 10th article, it sounds like the Sheriff won't issue to city residents. Since Essick was sworn in on the 9th (at least the formal ceremony), not sure if they interviewed him.

Quote:
The Sheriffโ€™s Office handles concealed carry applications from unincorporated county areas, Cloverdale, Cotati, Healdsburg, Sonoma and Windsor.

More at: https://www.petaluma360.com/news/785...cealed?sba=AAS

There's no mention of CCWs, much less liberalization of GC, in this long interview from today: http://www.sonomawest.com/cloverdale...76f6da52b.html
Old 01-29-2019, 8:52 PM

That's a January 10 2018 article, more than a year old, and definitely under the old regime.
Old 01-29-2019, 8:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
That's a January 10 2018 article, more than a year old, and definitely under the old regime.
I thought I recognized it....

(1) Either way, it's a good reminder to find out if Essick will continue the policy of not issuing to residents of most/all cities. IIRC, that's about 1/2 of the county's population.

(2) But I really find it interesting how, in the long interview article, he claims he wouldn't have won without the support of the LBGT community in Sonoma Co. Yet does not even mention CCWs despite him saying in one of the videos from the campaign, which I embedded previously, that CCW reform was the #1 thing residents were asking him about. No mention of when/how he'll improve CCW issuance.

That's two things for Sonoma Co CGNers to find out.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-07-2019 at 5:48 PM..
Old 02-04-2019, 5:11 PM

From the sheriffs office themselves

Quote:
Good morning,

Yes, the Sheriff’s Office will now accept new applications for any Sonoma County resident.
Per the email that also includes all within city limits
Old 02-04-2019, 5:25 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Hey, that's what I came here to tell everyone!

The email author even went out of their way to bold "any".

I'd say that's a pretty dang good sign.
Old 02-04-2019, 9:26 PM

So who wants to be the guinea pig?
Old 02-05-2019, 7:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
From the sheriffs office themselves

Per the email that also includes all within city limits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Hey, that's what I came here to tell everyone!

The email author even went out of their way to bold "any".

I'd say that's a pretty dang good sign.
Sounds great, guys.

Now the only question is, when Essick will post a liberalized GC policy on the SO's CCW webpage? Otherwise, your posts just means he'll be denying applicants from all Sonoma Co residents....

As of 5 minutes ago, the SO's CCW webpage still has the old (and current?) restrictive GC policy posted where the vast majority of us would have to pass either (a) or (b).

(bolding added)
Quote:
GOOD CAUSE FOR ISSUANCE:

(c) The applicant is currently employed by a security firm having all requisite licenses, and provides satisfactory proof that his or her work is of a nature that requires the carrying of a concealed weapon in public.

(d) The applicant is a duly appointed Sonoma County Reserve Deputy as defined in Penal Code ยง 830.6.

(e) The applicant is a member of the magistrate either presiding and/or residing in the County of Sonoma.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-05-2019 at 8:06 AM..
Old 02-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sounds great, guys.

Now the only question is, when Essick will post a liberalized GC policy on the SO's CCW webpage? Otherwise, your posts just means he'll be denying applicants from all Sonoma Co residents....

As of 5 minutes ago, the SO's CCW webpage still has the old (and current?) restrictive GC policy posted where the vast majority of us would have to pass either (a) or (b).
Which is why I said that changing the color on the map to a more favorable one was very premature, which you disagreed with.
Old 02-05-2019, 4:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Which is why I said that changing the color on the map to a more favorable one was very premature, which you disagreed with.
Spyder, just because the website still has the old sheriff's policy does not mean that the new sheriff is following it (vs keeping his campaign promises).

Why do I think Essick is keeping his word? Until someone gives me reason to doubt their word, I believe it. But in this case there's even a more important reason: the old policy was to not issue to city residents. As CGNers have posted above, Essick has changed that CCW policy. It very well may be Essick is also, right now, using a different, more liberal GC policy, but the IT folk just haven't gotten around to updating the website.

Everyone: All it takes to find out is for one of you Sonoma CGNers to call/email the SO's CCW unit and ask to find out and then let the rest of us know what they say. No, I don't even live in Sonoma Co. Time for them to pull their own weight.

ETA: until we see both a new, liberal GC policy posted on the Sonoma Co SO's CCW webpage and longtime CGNers in Sonoma Co post that they've now been issued CCWs, Sonoma Co's "light green" is probationary. If both of those things don't occur by 2019 July 01, baggss and I will have a discussion re. what color does most accurately reflect what intel we do have on Sonoma Co.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-07-2019 at 5:51 PM.. Reason: Paladin gets tired and crabby too, sometimes...
Old 02-06-2019, 12:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

This is where people chime in and say, " I went down today and applied and paid my $105. fee! Nobody has applied until they fill out the form and pay the fee. Most people want others to do the heavy lifting.
Old 02-06-2019, 6:30 AM

I didn’t want to be that guy but the people you have been bouncing snarky remarks with back and forth may seem like they are not pulling their own weight because they either already have their ccw or are in law enforcement.
Old 02-06-2019, 8:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I didnโ€™t want to be that guy but the people you have been bouncing snarky remarks with back and forth may seem like they are not pulling their own weight because they either already have their ccw or are in law enforcement.
Ugh. Right. I forgot that the assumption is everything in my reply was to the person I posted the reply to....

Thanks. I'll edit it.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Email sent, even though I am not eligible for a Sonoma CCW. Curious to see what the response is.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:20 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
This is where people chime in and say, " I went down today and applied and paid my $105. fee! Nobody has applied until they fill out the form and pay the fee. Most people want others to do the heavy lifting.
Many of the CG enthusiasts who are tied to Sonoma County have their CCW's already, or, like Paladin, are not residents here but spend time or have family/friends/work/historical ties to the county and stay abreast of the local happenings.

I've made the offer several times before, and it stands now. If there is anyone who truly can not afford the fee to apply, and otherwise would, I will help them out.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Email sent, even though I am not eligible for a Sonoma CCW. Curious to see what the response is.
You an ex-con?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 02-06-2019, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
You an ex-con?
I have it on good authority that Spyder is a felon.
Old 02-06-2019, 4:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You an ex-con?
Doesn't matter. EVERYONE should be for CCWs, except current BGs. Even if you never plan on carrying, you should be for it since the BGs won't know if you are carrying or not. It makes us ALL safer....

As Heinlein wrote, "An armed society is a polite society."
Old 02-06-2019, 6:31 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You an ex-con?
I've been CONvinced of many things, sir.

Quote:
I have it on good authority that Spyder is a felon.

Haha, I'm somewhat surprised that has never popped up as an issue since then, as I'm sure it is still stored in their system in some way.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I've been CONvinced of many things, sir.

Haha, I'm somewhat surprised that has never popped up as an issue since then, as I'm sure it is still stored in their system in some way.
I thought it was technically self defense? Those chryptid hunters were looking to make themselves famous for finally getting Sasquatch... but the squatch got them first.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 AM

I am the guinea pig. Filled out the online app today and paid the app fee and live scan fee. 8 year Petaluma resident and I previously held a license in El Dorado County from 2005-2009 before I moved to Petaluma. Hopefully there is a new mindset for approvals.
Old 02-15-2019, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep120794 View Post
I am the guinea pig. Filled out the online app today and paid the app fee and live scan fee. 8 year Petaluma resident and I previously held a license in El Dorado County from 2005-2009 before I moved to Petaluma. Hopefully there is a new mindset for approvals.
Key question (plz post reply AFTER you've been issued/denied) is what was your Good Cause like (but without so much detail as to ID yourself).

Also, let us know the various fees paid along the way and if the staff were helpful/friendly/encouraging or unhelpful/unfriendly/discouraging.

Wish you the best!
Old 02-15-2019, 6:08 PM

I spoke with the LT in charge over the phone. He confirmed the good cause requirement will be significantly lower but would not confirm that simple self defense is sufficient. He seems to imply that some sort of articulate good cause would still be required.

He said they are attending a sheriffs conference this coming Wednesday dedicated to discussing ccw issuance and will update their website after the conference to decide how they want to deal with applications
Old 02-15-2019, 6:24 PM

I wonder if I meet the req the good cause because I deposit between 3k and 4k in the bank for work three times a week using my own vehicle.

I also camp and hunt solo which has in the past resulted in me waking up getting kicked in the head by a tweaker (Spyder knows the story).

Third I do photography/video for educational/art purposes and have at least 1k in gear with me which it would be reasonable to assume would make certain people want to rob me.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-15-2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I wonder if I meet the req the good cause because I deposit between 3k and 4k in the bank for work three times a week using my own vehicle.

I also camp and hunt solo which has in the past resulted in me waking up getting kicked in the head by a tweaker (Spyder knows the story).

Third I do photography/video for educational/art purposes and have at least 1k in gear with me which it would be reasonable to assume would make certain people want to rob me.

What do you guys think?
Don’t know about the new standards but under the old standards it would go
Like this..

“Do you have deposit slips proving the amounts and frequency?”

“Is it always all cash?”

“How would anyone know you are carrying that amount of money?”

“When do you carry the cash from the business to the bank? Does it all happen during daylight or do you take the cash home after business hours only to be able to deposit it the following morning? Do you have documentation proving that?”

“Why don’t you use an armored carrier service like banks and other businesses use?”

“While hunting, what is the specific need to have the firearm concealed?”

“When carrying this expensive equipment, which areas do you go to that law enforcement isn’t already somewhere close by or during hours or locations that are more prone to being in a bad situation?”

“How do we know you won’t create a substantial risk to the public or to law enforcement officials if allowed to carry a concealed firearm?”

They would also look at your traffic record for the last 5 years and see if you are a responsible driver. In my younger days when I first applied I was told “if we can’t trust you to obey traffic laws, how can we trust that you will make the right decision when carrying a firearm?”

Of course, all that has changed now but it still may be helpful
For you to think about

Last edited by caliguy93; 02-15-2019 at 7:33 PM..
Old 02-24-2019, 2:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I spoke with the LT in charge over the phone. He confirmed the good cause requirement will be significantly lower but would not confirm that simple self defense is sufficient. He seems to imply that some sort of articulate good cause would still be required.

He said they are attending a sheriffs conference this coming Wednesday dedicated to discussing ccw issuance and will update their website after the conference to decide how they want to deal with applications
No change yet: https://www.sonomasheriff.org/ccw