Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-21-2022, 7:26 PM

Default Options for left eye dominant - right handed shooters?

Hi looking for a little help or experience. I’m left eye dominant pretty strongly, with astigmatism in my right eye and vision has been corrected by lasik a number of years ago so I see 20/20. I look through my red dot on my pistols just fine with both eyes open looking at the target. Troubles with my rifles. I’m running a trijicon Mro hd w/ 3x magnifier. Shooting right handed I cannot see the reticle with both eyes open, have to close my left eye to pick it up (with or without the magnifier). Switching to left handed shooting I can see through with both eyes open to the target perfectly.

I guess the question is will a prisim or a holo optic work better for me trying to shoot righty. Or am I doomed to compensate or have to switch to lefty?

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited by Varno; 04-21-2022 at 7:36 PM..
Old 04-21-2022, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varno View Post
Hi looking for a little help or experience. I’m left eye dominant pretty strongly, with astigmatism in my right eye and vision has been corrected by lasik a number of years ago so I see 20/20. I look through my red dot on my pistols just fine with both eyes open looking at the target. Troubles with my rifles. I’m running a trijicon Mro hd w/ 3x magnifier. Shooting right handed I cannot see the reticle with both eyes open, have to close my left eye to pick it up (with or without the magnifier). Switching to left handed shooting I can see through with both eyes open to the target perfectly.

I guess the question is will a prisim or a holo optic work better for me trying to shoot righty. Or am I doomed to compensate or have to switch to lefty?

Thanks for any responses.
I, too, have strong left-eye dominance, even have difficulty closing the left-eye. I replaced my MRO with the XPS. But still feeling a bit awkward, I just taught myself to shoot left-handed with long guns. So much so that shooting right-handed with long guns becomes awkward.

_
Old 04-21-2022, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I also have astigmatism and esotropia (which results in me seeing double/two different sight pictures if I keep both eyes open when looking through any optic, iron sights, etc).

Here's my solution and what I do, so pay attention...

Are you ready?

...I close my left eye and I magically become right eye dominant. Works with any of the sights I use be it an RDS on my shotgun, iron sights on my handguns or a 1x prism sight or LPVO I have on my AR's.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 04-22-2022 at 6:23 AM..
Old 04-21-2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I also have astigmatism and esotropia (I see double/two different sight pictures if I keep both eyes open).

Are you ready?

...I close my left eye and I magically become right eye dominant. Works with any of the sights I use be it an RDS, iron sights or a 1x prism sight I have on an AR.
This and etched reticles help with astigmatism
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 04-22-2022, 6:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviioiive View Post
This and etched reticles help with astigmatism
Yes, my 1x prism scope has an etched reticle with an adjustable diopter and can attest this really helps.
Old 04-22-2022, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
I, too, have strong left-eye dominance, even have difficulty closing the left-eye. I replaced my MRO with the XPS. But still feeling a bit awkward, I just taught myself to shoot left-handed with long guns. So much so that shooting right-handed with long guns becomes awkward.

_
Seems like my most logical option. And a good skill to have ambi shooting.
Old 04-22-2022, 9:40 AM

Quote:
I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I also have astigmatism and esotropia (which results in me seeing double/two different sight pictures if I keep both eyes open when looking through any optic, iron sights, etc).

Are you ready?

...I close my left eye and I magically become right eye dominant. Works with any of the sights I use be it an RDS on my shotgun, iron sights on my handguns or a 1x prism sight or LPVO I have on my AR's.
This is what I currently do. Would like both eye open but will have to compromise. Thanks for the prisim info.
Old 04-22-2022, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is what I currently do. Would like both eye open but will have to compromise. Thanks for the prisim info.
Trust me, I would, too! For me it’s just the way it is and have learned how to deal with it and accept it and move forward. To add on top of all that I recently started wearing glasses with progressive lenses. They also added some prism into my lenses to help reduce the double vision but even while wearing glasses I still see two different sight pictures. It is what it is, and the last two times I was out at a class I shot better than a buddy who is ex-SWAT and another who is a retired MP and made it to the finals in a man on man steel shoot at the end of class.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 04-22-2022 at 1:42 PM..
Old 04-22-2022, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Trust me, I would, too! For me it’s just the way it is and have learned how to deal with it and accept it and move forward. To add on top of all that I recently started wearing glasses with progressive lenses. They also added some prism into my lenses to help reduce the editorial but even while wearing glasses I still see two different sight pictures. It is what it is, and the last two times I was out at a class I ahot better than a buddy who is ex-SWAT and another who is a retired MP and made it to the finals in a man on man steel shoot at the end of class.
Nice. Yeah that double sight picture gets frustrating, but like you I’m at least a decent shot like this.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-22-2022, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Seems like my most logical option. And a good skill to have ambi shooting.
I will tell your where it becomes an annoyance - belt setup for multigun. … For example, my AR mag goes in the same side as my handgun (which I shoot right-handed)…

_
Old 05-01-2022, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Default Options for left eye dominant - right handed shooters?

We tell our cross-dominant students to try shooting rifles with dominant and non-dominant hand to figure out what works for them.

My right eye astigmatism is so high that I cannot use wraparound frames because of the lens curve. But I am so strongly right hand dominant that I cannot shoot with my good eye because my left arm/hand just won’t do it.

I failed at trying to learn keyboards and drums because my left hand always tried to follow my right hand.

So I just have to find sights I can work with - RDS with very small dots and etched rifle scopes are my go to.

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist

Last edited by ronlglock; 05-02-2022 at 6:50 PM..