Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-30-2018, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
Oklahoma is one of the reddest states in the Union, not a single county went to Clinton in 2016 if I recall. They need to pass this. If Constitutional Carry can't pass in a ruby-red state like OK, something is seriously not OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
Hopefully OK goes through. It would be a bummer to have another off year since we have been on a roll since 2010.
Best you guys NOT listen at 3:00 to 7:40 min of the podcast embedded at the link below. If you do, you'll hear reporters suggest that the OK state senate Repub leadership will NOT let it come up for a vote so that RINOs won't have to vote against it, when they had voted for it the first time around when they thought it would have no chance of becoming law. IOW, when they thought they could fool their constituents....
https://nondoc.com/2018/04/30/podcas...2-ounce-steak/

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 04-30-2018 at 2:16 PM..
Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 AM

http://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma...-bill/20130766

The OK Senate passed the bill 33-9 last night. It's on to the Governor!
Old 05-03-2018, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
http://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma...-bill/20130766

The OK Senate passed the bill 33-9 last night. It's on to the Governor!
It is nice to get some "good news" re. RKBA for a change.... Hopefully, the governor will sign it and soon.

I was hoping we'd also win AL and SC this year. Not sure re. AL, but I think SC might still have a chance.

Next year should be exciting: TX Repubs are smarting after the beating they took from RINOs and Dems last year. The NRA is using ConCarry this year to determine their score cards/grades for NV legislators. MN has a chance if Gov Dayton is gone. MT is similar. SD and NB may also be in play. UT?

Last edited by Paladin; 05-03-2018 at 9:27 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
It is nice to get some "good news" re. RKBA for a change.... Hopefully, the governor will sign it and soon.

I was hoping we'd also win AL and SC this year. Not sure re. AL, but I think SC might still have a chance.

Next year should be exciting: TX Repubs are smarting after the beating they took from RINOs and Dems last year. The NRA is using ConCarry this year to determine their score cards/grades for NV legislators. MN has a chance if Gov Dayton is gone. MT is similar. SD and NB may also be in play. UT?

The police unions get in the way in AL.

SC hasn't even passed substantial reciprocity or open carry. They will eventually go CC I think but not soon.

Utah will probably still have the same governor and there are no term limits, so unless the legislature steps up, I'm not sure they will get it past.

SD is looking good though. The legislature clearly wants CC and they will be getting a new governor. Several of which has said they are pro CC.

I also think IN and IA will get CC sooner than later. Definitely before AL or UT.

NV is a maybe. A lot has changed in the past 10 years, so we will see. MN is also a big maybe because they are similar to Michigan in the sense that they have a GOP legislature that might pass it, but their weakness will be with the governor. If their legislatures had previously passed CC bills I'd say be more optimistic, but for now...meh.

TX will be interesting to watch too. I'm not getting my hopes up but they are a wild card. I think if the legislature passes it then the governor will sign it. If Montana gets a GOP governor I think they will get CC as well. When that will be, I am not sure.

Next year could be a solid year, but that's yet to be seen. The good thing is it will be a non-election year and I think CC bills are more inclined to pass in off years. I think we are due for another year where one state sets the playing ground for a few more to follow.

Last edited by wireless; 05-03-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

The OK governor has vetoed some pro-RKBA bills before. Hopefully, not this time.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...thout-a-permit

I do not know if she does not sign or veto a bill, if it then dies ("pocket veto") or becomes law without her signature.

Quote:
SC hasn't even passed substantial reciprocity or open carry. They will eventually go CC I think but not soon.
EVERY No Issue state in RadicalGunNuttery's map in the OP went straight to Shall Issue, without making a stop at May Issue. IMO, full ConCarry will be easier to pass than OP and then ConCarry.

Quote:
MN is also a big maybe because they are similar to Michigan in the sense that they have a GOP legislature that might pass it, but their weakness will be with the governor. If their legislatures had previously passed CC bills I'd say be more optimistic, but for now...meh.
I see a win in MN (whenever that will be) putting pressure on WI and then both pressuring MI.

Quote:
TX will be interesting to watch too. I'm not getting my hopes up but they are a wild card. I think if the legislature passes it then the governor will sign it.
TX would put a lot of pressure on LA and the rest of the non-hardcore anti states. They're too big to ignore.

Quote:
Next year could be a solid year, but that's yet to be seen. The good thing is it will be a non-election year and I think CC bills are more inclined to pass in off years. I think we are due for another year where one state sets the playing ground for a few more to follow.
As long as no more nut cases (or jihadis or anyone else) use EBRs for massacres. Stick to vehicles: those are already registered with the state, taxed, require users to training, pass state written and driving tests, and get licensed: just like they want to do with guns. But that doesn't stop evildoers from using vehicles to kill people....

IMO, I could see us get to 20 ConCarry states quite easily within 5 years.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-05-2018 at 9:20 PM..
Old 05-05-2018, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The OK governor has vetoed some pro-RKBA bills before. Hopefully, not this time.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...thout-a-permit

I do not know if she does not sign or veto a bill, if it then dies ("pocket veto") or becomes law without her signature.
Quote:
Some lawmakers were concerned enough about Gov. Mary Fallin’s vetoing or pocket vetoing late legislation that for most of Thursday it appeared that the Legislature would recess rather than adjourn sine die.

Fallin vetoed four bills just ahead of adjournment Thursday evening, although no public announcement was made until nearly midnight. It’s unlikely that the Legislature would have tried to override any of the four.

But there is speculation that Fallin might not sign a “constitutional carry” gun bill opposed by numerous business and professional groups
as well as the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team.

<snip>

Schulz acknowledged Thursday that the House and Senate considered recessing rather than adjourning on Thursday to limit Fallin’s use of the veto.

The state Constitution provides that measures not signed by the governor after the Legislature adjourns are, in effect, voided, or “pocket vetoed.” But bills not signed by the governor while the Legislature is in session are enacted automatically after five days.

By recessing for 10 days, the Legislature would have prevented any so-called pocket vetoes, forced Fallin to veto in writing anything she doesn’t like and then opening the possibility of a veto override.
More at: http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...df7f607b8.html

Looks like ConCarry in OK is still vulnerable to defeat. It smells that the Repubs did not insist on taking a 10 day recess instead of adjourning. The cynic in me says the outgoing Senate Repub leader wanted to give a going away present to a fellow professional politician, the governor. Time will tell.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-06-2018 at 6:03 PM..
Old 05-06-2018, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Next week the governor could decide whether to pass or veto a bill that would legalize the permitless, so called constitutional carry of handguns.

The bill, Senate Bill 1212, has already passed in the state House of Representatives and the Senate, and now sits on the governor’s desk waiting for her to pass or veto it.

If she passes it, constitutional carry will go into effect November first.

Constitutional carry simply extends the rights and restrictions that current license holders have to all Oklahomans over 21-years-old and without a felony conviction.

<snip>

If the bill passes, Israel suspects a lot more people will start carrying, but those numbers will dwindle when people see that carrying a gun can be uncomfortable, especially in the summer. ...
More at:
http://www.news9.com/story/38121973/...nal-carry-bill

Old 05-07-2018, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Last week, the Oklahoma Legislature adjourned from its 2018 Legislative Session. A day prior to its adjournment, the Oklahoma Senate concurred on constitutional carry legislation, Senate Bill 1212, and sent it to the desk of Governor Mary Fallin. Governor Fallin has 15 days from passage of the bill to sign the measure into law.
More at:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...ature-adjourns

Old 05-08-2018, 9:39 AM

I read that she has 5 days to sign or veto while the legislature is in session and 15 when out of session. Sine die is the 25th of may, so what gives?
Old 05-10-2018, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Default OK

Quote:
I read that she has 5 days to sign or veto while the legislature is in session and 15 when out of session. Sine die is the 25th of may, so what gives?
I'm just guess, but since the quote I provided in my previous post said that the Oklahoma legislature had adjourned, maybe they adjourned early, before "normal" date of end of session, so sine die effectively becomes that earlier date?

Like I said: that's just my guess. But since it would be in accord with how the news is reporting things, I'd bet that guess is right. IOW, we should know if ConCarry becomes law in OK by Monday, the 21st, at latest.

My *hope* is that it does and that that encourages South Carolina to put their ConCarry bill back into play (assuming their legislature still has time).

Old 05-11-2018, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

CC Bill Vetoed by OK governor.

Legislature is not in session so they cannot override. Maybe better luck next year since the governor is termed out.
Old 05-11-2018, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Angry OK: ConCarry vetoed

Quote:

Legislature is not in session so they cannot override. Maybe better luck next year since the governor is termed out.
Quote:
Oklahoma's Republican Gov. Mary Fallin vetoed a bill late Friday that would have authorized adults to carry firearms without a permit or training, dealing a rare defeat to the National Rifle Association in a conservative state.

The veto comes after opposition from the business community and law enforcement authorities, including top officials with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation who have said it could erode public safety.

<snip>

The bureau of investigation, which issues handgun licenses, had said the bill would cost the agency about $4.7 million annually and result in the loss of about 60 full-time positions.

"The impact on public safety is unquantifiable," bureau Director Bob Ricks said in a statement.

Many business leaders, including local chambers of commerce, also opposed the bill, giving the governor - who cannot run for re-election under term limits - plenty of political cover to veto it.

The Legislature already has adjourned its session so lawmakers will not be able to revisit the issue until next year after the election of a new governor.

The hot-button issue of gun rights energizes Republican voters, particularly those in Republican primaries, said Trebor Worthen, a Republican political strategist.

Several Republican candidates to succeed Fallin as governor urged her this week to sign it.

<snip>
More at:
https://www.kiro7.com/news/national/...-law/747956255

Old 05-16-2018, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Constitutional Carry refers to the state of the law when the Bill of Rights was passed in 1791. At that time, no permits were required to buy, possess, or carry firearms in the United States. In states with Constitutional Carry, no permit is required for most adults to carry firearms openly or concealed.

A resurgence in Constitutional Carry has been happening since 2003.

In 2003, Alaska passed the reform to restore the exercise of Second Amendment rights. After seven more years, in 2010, Arizona passed Constitutional Carry. In 2011 Wyoming passed their version of the concept.

In 2013, Arkansas passed Act 746 into law. It is effectively Constitutional Carry, but is disputed by some county prosecutors. In 2015, Kansas, and Maine joined the Constitutional Carry club. By 2016, Idaho, Missouri, West Virginia, and Mississippi enacted Constitutional Carry. Then in 2017, New Hampshire, and North Dakota were added to the list. Vermont has always been a Constitutional Carry state.

Several other Governors have vetoed Constitutional Carry bills. They include Governor Bullock (D) of Montana, Governor Tomblin (D) of West Virginia (overridden by the legislature), Governor Nixon of Missouri (D) (overridden by the legislature), Governor Hassan (D) of New Hampshire (since passed), Governor Daugaard of South Dakota (R) twice, and Governor Herbert (R) of Utah twice.

Montana, South Dakota, and Utah have all failed to pass Constitutional Carry to the present day.

There will be a serious push to pass Constitutional Carry in Texas in 2019 during the next legislative session.

©2018 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
(emphasis in original)

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/05/okl...utional-carry/

Last edited by Paladin; 05-16-2018 at 5:25 PM..
Old 05-17-2018, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Default OK: It's ain't over until it's over...

Some Repubs pushing for a 3rd Special Session of Oklahoma state legislature to, among other things, override governor's veto of ConCarry....

https://nondoc.com/2018/05/16/sen-na...ecial-session/

Old 05-18-2018, 4:45 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

So the Governor can just wait until the legislature is out of session and then veto whatever he wants with zero chance of an override?

That's a really well thought-out system.

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Old 05-18-2018, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
So the Governor can just wait until the legislature is out of session and then veto whatever he wants with zero chance of an override?

That's a really well thought-out system.
Reread the last 2 paragraphs in the 2nd quoted material in post #46.

Old 05-18-2018, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
There will be a serious push to pass Constitutional Carry in Texas in 2019 during the next legislative session.

©2018 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
(emphasis in original)

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/05/okl...utional-carry/
Hopefully, today's TX HS shooter won't derail ConCarry from passing in TX next legislative session (after Jan 2019).

Old 05-19-2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Some Repubs pushing for a 3rd Special Session of Oklahoma state legislature to, among other things, override governor's veto of ConCarry....

https://nondoc.com/2018/05/16/sen-na...ecial-session/
A longshot to say the least. Even if all the pro-CC votes stayed together, they're still short.
There was a mention about other bills that were vetoed, not sure what numbers those had.
They'll let this slide so it'll be a campaign issue in the November elections.
Old 05-21-2018, 3:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up Georgia GOP gubernatorial primary

Georgia
Quote:
All five GOP candidates have raced to the party’s flanks, trying to outdo each other with aggressive promises on a blend of tried-and-true conservative issues such as cutting taxes and cracking down on illegal immigration.

Cagle has picked a fight with Decatur over immigration policy, joined his GOP rivals in supporting “constitutional carry” gun rights and pledged to send Georgia National Guard soldiers to the Mexican border to fight illegal immigration.

But he hasn’t gone as far as some of his rivals on some of those issues. He’s offered more modest tax-cut plans than Hill, while he wouldn’t match Kemp’s calls to pass the nation’s toughest abortion restrictions.
More at:
https://politics.myajc.com/news/stat...o4kNIVIzDp9PN/

Last edited by Paladin; 05-21-2018 at 3:41 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
But Georgia hasn't even gotten ConCarry through the legislature. They have some establishment types that block it.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Georgia

Quote:
But Georgia hasn't even gotten ConCarry through the legislature. They have some establishment types that block it.
The Dems have their woman and there's a runoff in July between the top two GOP candidates for governor of Georgia. The contrast between the Dems and Repubs is as stark as that between ... never mind!

Quote:
Gun laws

Republicans

Casey Cagle: Opposes new gun restrictions and said he supports “constitutional carry” - the right to legally carry a weapon openly or concealed without a permit - after initially objecting to it. Won NRA’s endorsement after vowing to “kill” a tax break for Delta when it broke ties with pro-gun group.

Brian Kemp: Opposes new gun restrictions and backs “constitutional carry.” Ran provocative ad showing him brandishing shotgun next to young man courting his daughter. Won support from GeorgiaCarry.Org, a pro-gun group.

Democrat

Stacey Abrams: Supports stricter gun laws, including universal background checks for private sales of firearms and a repeal of the “campus carry” legislation that allows permitholders to carry weapons on college campuses.
More at:
https://www.wsbradio.com/news/state-...kQKEgrjFYxiCI/

Last edited by Paladin; 06-01-2018 at 5:10 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Are there any states where ConCarry still has a chance this year?

Or are we just gathering info for a new, "ConCarry 2019" thread?

Old 05-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

I think we are waiting on Oaklahoma possible special session but besides that it’s dead.
Old 05-24-2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Are there any states where ConCarry still has a chance this year?

Several are still technically alive (MI for one), but the absolute silence leads me to believe they've packed it in for the year.
Old 05-25-2018, 1:14 PM

The Governor of Arkansas calls us "Constitutional Carry" but I do not think it means what he thinks it means...

More info found here.

This M1A now legally uses 20 round mags!
Old 05-29-2018, 2:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up OK: ConCarry still has a chance in 2018

Oklahoma may still be in play.

Quote:
Dahm said the constitutional carry issue could well come up again in the Legislature later this year if he manages to recruit a two-thirds majority in both the House and Senate to call for a special session to address Fallin vetoes or if voters approve State Question 788 in the June 26 primary. A special session also could take place if a petition circulating to call for a vote on the repeal of the cigarette, petroleum and fuel tax package passed this session to fund education is successful.

“Either way, that could give us an opportunity to address (constitutional carry) again,” Dahm said.

There is a question whether it is possible to override a veto from one session to another, however, so Dahm said he has two possible strategies.

“There is an option where we could go back in and re-pass and send it back to her desk and she could have the opportunity to correct her past mistake. If she vetoes it again, then we can override that veto,” he said.

In supporting his idea, Dahm said out-of-state residents already practice constitutional carry in Oklahoma because the state practices reciprocity with other states that allow concealed and open carry of firearms.
More at:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local...94ece557e.html

Old 06-01-2018, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Default South Carolina

Quote:
Info re. the various SC gubernatorial candidates and the 2nd A RKBA. Since all we care about are their positions re. guns/2nd A RKBA, I edited pretty much everything else out, and only left the rest of the paragraph for context when they said something/anything re. guns/2A (and I bolded that).

Quote:
Five Republicans and three Democrats are vying for the position as South Carolina Governor in the June 12 primary election.

Among the candidates are incumbent Governor Henry McMaster, Lieutenant Governor Kevin Bryant and Representative James Smith.

Kevin Bryant - R

<snip>

He is pro-life, pro-gun rights, and wants a 100% managed care model for Medicaid.

<snip>

Henry McMaster - R

<snip, nothing re. guns/2nd A>

Phil Noble - D

James Smith - D

<snip>

He aims to continue this work while providing access to affordable healthcare, raising teacher pay, and advocating for common sense gun safety.

<snip>

Catherine Templeton - R

<snip>

Templeton has plans to cut spending, cut government and cut regulation. She wants to pass legislation pertaining to the National Anthem, pass Constitutional carry and reduce abortions. She also wants justice for ratepayers, fixing the school system and ending corruption.

<snip>

John Warren - R

John Yancey McGill - R

Marguerite Willis - D

More at:
http://www.wsav.com/news/your-local-...or-/1213023585

Old 06-03-2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrovilleTim View Post
The Governor of Arkansas calls us "Constitutional Carry" but I do not think it means what he thinks it means...

More info found here.
The statute is pretty clear as far as "journey", which is travel beyond one's county of residence. So the police would have to prove someone was NOT on a journey. I doubt they will want to go to that much trouble.
Old 06-16-2018, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up TX: state GOP 2019 Platform includes ConCarry!

Quote:
Texas Republicans on Saturday mapped out which issues the state GOP should support ahead of the 2019 legislative session — a list that again included a version of the “bathroom bill” and “constitutional carry."

<snip>

A few of those legislative priorities — which are meant to represent the party’s policy goals when the Texas Legislature convenes in January — carried over after they didn’t pass during the 2017 legislative session, including language to regulate which restrooms transgender Texans can use and a proposal to let Texans carry a handgun without a permit. The "bathroom bill" measure, which drew hours of testimony and debate during the 2017 legislative session, was not a focus of debate at the 2018 convention.
More at:
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06...utional-carry/

Old 06-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Talking Oklahoma: Q788 Special Session coming!

Quote:
Oklahoma may still be in play.

Quote:
Dahm said the constitutional carry issue could well come up again in the Legislature later this year if he manages to recruit a two-thirds majority in both the House and Senate to call for a special session to address Fallin vetoes or if voters approve State Question 788 in the June 26 primary. A special session also could take place if a petition circulating to call for a vote on the repeal of the cigarette, petroleum and fuel tax package passed this session to fund education is successful.

“Either way, that could give us an opportunity to address (constitutional carry) again,” Dahm said.

There is a question whether it is possible to override a veto from one session to another, however, so Dahm said he has two possible strategies.

“There is an option where we could go back in and re-pass and send it back to her desk and she could have the opportunity to correct her past mistake. If she vetoes it again, then we can override that veto,” he said.

In supporting his idea, Dahm said out-of-state residents already practice constitutional carry in Oklahoma because the state practices reciprocity with other states that allow concealed and open carry of firearms.
More at:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local...94ece557e.html
State Question 788 (medical MJ), passed, and Governor Fallin last night said she'd call the legislature back into a special session shortly.

There will be a LOT of pressure brought on them to also override her veto while they're in session. OK may yet pass ConCarry in 2018!

ETA: Today (June 28) it looks like both chambers are trying to avoid another special session (it would be the 3rd this year), for Q788, so ConCarry may be dead.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...c02d74cee.html

Last edited by Paladin; 06-28-2018 at 9:54 PM..
Old 07-31-2018, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up TX

Looks like Texas GOP is going to try for ConCarry again. Look at what their first legislative priority is.

I predict this time it will pass, probably within 9 months. I think our LOC win in the Young case will give our side in TX to prevail over the Dem and RINO coalition that killed ConCarry last time.

Quote:
Hundreds of delegates begin committee meetings early in the week to plan presentations to the state wide delegates for their decisions on Credentials, Rules, Platform and Legislative Priorities. Anyone desiring to discuss their ideas with these committees were welcome to appear and stress their beliefs to the committee in hopes of influencing the final document presented to the convention. Especially, the platform reflects the fundamental philosophy of Republicans and receives a thorough discussion on all issues thus resulting in a true representation of delegates. With this large of a group, diversity of opinion always exists to set the stage for energized discussion. This year’s platform had 331 separate planks which were voted on individually by delegates. The final Platform can be viewed at www.texasgop.com.

Legislative Priorities passed were:

Constitutional Carry-recommended to be passed

<snip>
From: https://www.amarillopioneer.com/blog...onvention-2018

Last edited by Paladin; 07-31-2018 at 8:56 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up Tennessee

Tennessee

Quote:
Permit fees and constitutional carry

The candidates disagree on allowing Tennesseans to carry a weapon without having to first obtain a permit, commonly known as constitutional carry.

Tennessee law requires most residents to take a safety class before they can obtain a permit. The law should not change, Dean said.

"I think you’ve got to have a permitting process, and I would not be in favor of constitutional carry," Dean said.

Lee said he would sign legislation allowing gun owners to carry guns without needing a permit.

That is different than his position in October when asked a similar question from WPLN, Nashville's public radio station.

When asked if he thought Tennesseans should be able to carry a handgun without getting a permit, Lee said, "I don't. Primarily because I'm a guy who's listening to law enforcement and what they believe, and law enforcement is very much against that."

Both candidates agreed that they would be open to reducing gun permit fees.
From: https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...es/1148908002/

Last edited by Paladin; 09-03-2018 at 12:47 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Post Florida

Florida

Quote:
Ron DeSantis told a gun rights advocacy group that people should not need a permit to openly carry a firearm in public, according to the group's lawyer and a release sent out by the organization this week.

Eric Friday, the general counsel for Florida Carry, said he met with DeSantis in Kissimmee while the Congressman was there for the Republican "Sunshine Summit" in June, which featured a debate between DeSantis and his rival in the governor's race, Adam Putnam, as well as prominent speeches from prominent Republicans like Ben Carson.

DeSantis' position was originally touted in a roundup earlier this week of various lawmakers' stances on gun issues based on conversations they had with the group.

Florida currently requires a permit (and thus, background checks) for anyone wishing to carry a handgun, and it must be concealed. Thirty-one states have adopted permissive "open carry" laws that allow people to carry guns without a permit if they are in plain sight. This is also sometimes called "constitutional carry," because its supporters believe the Second Amendment bypasses the need for a license.

"What Congressman DeSantis said is he doesn't understand why you need a license to exercise a fundamental right in the first place," Friday said in an interview with the Times/Herald. "He did not make a commitment to support open carry or unlicensed carry. He didn't say he would he would push for it in the Legislature (if elected governor)."
https://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...uiring-permit/

His Dem opponent, Andrew Gillum, is the far Left, Bernie Sanders and Soros backed socialist who wants to repeal "Stand Your Ground" and give felons the right to vote....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew...ical_positions

Last edited by Paladin; 09-03-2018 at 12:46 PM..
Old 09-04-2018, 11:48 AM

I think SD and OK should be on track for ConCarry if the GOP candidates win and they keep their word. FL and TN seem to have too many obstacles in the legislature to even reach the governor.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Calguns Addict

FL: Repub DeSantis, assuming he wins, is not opposed to ConCarry.
https://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...uiring-permit/

GA: anti Dem Stacy Abrams hasn't conceded and has lawyered up in her fight against Brian Kemp (Repub), who is for ConCarry
https://politics.myajc.com/news/stat...kQKEgrjFYxiCI/

next MI Gov, Dem Whitmer is anti

anti Gov of MN, Mark Dayton, did not run and was replaced by Dem Tim Walz.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Walz

NM Gov Grisham is anti
https://www.guns.com/news/2018/08/15...st-of-gun-bans

next NV Dem Gov Steve Sisolak is anti
https://thenevadaindependent.com/art...reemption-laws

OK Repub Gov Stitt is pro ConCarry
http://www.news9.com/story/39024439/...ahoma-gun-laws

PA Dem Tom Wolf is anti

pro ConCarry SC Repub Gov McMaster won reelection
https://www.nrapvf.org/emails/2018/s...outh-carolina/

pro ConCarry Kristi Noem, won as Gov of SD
https://kristiforgovernor.com/noem-c...y-legislation/

incoming TN Repub Gov Bill Lee is pro ConCarry
https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...es/1148908002/

TX Repub Gov Greg Abbott is pro guns
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-gun-governor/

next WI Gov, Dem Tony Evers, is anti
https://www.ammoland.com/2018/11/wis...our-gun-rights

Last edited by Paladin; 11-10-2018 at 9:47 AM..
Old 11-10-2018, 2:54 PM

I think we're good for SD and OK in 2019. The other GOP states, even with good governors, probably won't until the rhino senate or house leaders who quietly block votes get flushed out.
Old 11-25-2018, 2:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think we're good for SD and OK in 2019. The other GOP states, even with good governors, probably won't until the rhino senate or house leaders who quietly block votes get flushed out.
This link supports that opinion in SD.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sou...thout-a-permit
Old 11-25-2018, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrat View Post
This link supports that opinion in SD.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sou...thout-a-permit
Got to love a politician who campaigned on that issue. Another interesting tidbit from the link is that there are 108,000 people who have carry permits in South Dakota. The state has only 870,000 total population.
Old 11-25-2018, 8:46 AM

Got a few updates of the constitutional carry bills:

from FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition): https://www.firearmspolicy.org/support_tx_hb_357 Texas.

Guns & Gadgets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5sqn5UCSSE&t=3s North Dakota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6sTd8iaNPU Georgia.

This Millennial is woke.

Continuously learning...

Official Firearms Policy Coalition member
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/
Old 11-25-2018, 8:56 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Pulse View Post
Got a few updates of the constitutional carry bills:

from FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition): https://www.firearmspolicy.org/support_tx_hb_357 Texas.

Guns & Gadgets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5sqn5UCSSE&t=3s North Dakota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6sTd8iaNPU Georgia.
The fpc article didn't really have any "updates" for the Texas bill, the whole article was 2 sentences long and basically just said "support this bill."

The 2 YouTube videos are a combined 13 minutes I don't really feel like watching, is there an article I could read instead, or could you give a summary of what the updates are?

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime: