Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-05-2016, 4:57 PM

Default Ladies...Which revolver do you prefer to shoot and why?

I'm looking at new Ruger and S & W models and maybe a few other brands (for fun and self defense-not necessarily in one gun).

For fun, I like the Ruger Bearcat in stainless, fits well and I can rent one before I buy it. Recoil is not an issue with this gun.

Anyone shoot the Ruger 8-shot 22 LR LCR model? Use it for home defense?

I would also like to get a 38 spl, I prefer the snubbies however I don't care too much for the grips offered on the Ruger LCRs or the S & W Airweights. They're a bit small for me. I'm wondering about the recoil, as well.

I like the look of the Ruger SP101, its weight would probably help with the recoil. The grip is ok, I guess.

Anyone got any viewpoints they can share? Also, any place in So Cal where one rent the snubbies?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2016, 5:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The S&W 625-8 in .45 ACP is crazy accurate and caliber compatible with 1911's
Old 12-05-2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K001 View Post
The S&W 625-8 in .45 ACP is crazy accurate and caliber compatible with 1911's
Looking for shorter barrel. Nice looking gun, though.
Old 12-05-2016, 6:53 PM

Answering on behalf of my better half....she shoots the Ruger SP101 in 2.25 barrel. She didn't care for the recoil of the lighter weight revolvers. The SP is stainless steel so it is a little heavier and it absorbs recoil better for her.
Old 12-06-2016, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGunGuns View Post
Answering on behalf of my better half....she shoots the Ruger SP101 in 2.25 barrel. She didn't care for the recoil of the lighter weight revolvers. The SP is stainless steel so it is a little heavier and it absorbs recoil better for her.
Thanks for the reply.

Did she keep the stock grip or change it out?
It seems like the surface of the grip is hard and I was wondering if the felt recoil comes "through" the grip on that particular revolver.
Old 12-06-2016, 7:01 AM

Changed to a Crimson Laser grip. It's a better texture and fills the hand better, plus a grip actuated laser She loves it and shoots it well.
Old 12-06-2016, 8:45 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

air/light weight revolvers = recoil from hell.

look at all metal snubbies if you are going .38 special or .357.

my snubbie is a S&W Model 60-14.
I also have a Model 19 snubbie.

the Ruger SP-101 is a wee bit larger than J-frame smiths but not as large as k-frame smiths. I found the grip to be larger in my hand but knowing what I know now I could have gone the Ruger if i'd have changed out the grips. however, at heart I prefer the S&W.

for the record: I tested the air/light weights at the range and I almost did not pick up another pistol!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 12-06-2016, 3:39 PM

A good heavy gun like the gp100 or sp101 with .38s is what you want for a lady to enjoy shooting. Most people think big barrel is scary or powerful but it is easier shooting.
Old 12-06-2016, 3:40 PM

Depending on use the 3 inch fixed sights gp100 is pretty perfect. Many grip options though the factory grips are as good as any if you happen to like them. Also the recoil on revolvers moves more up than straight back. It won't be a problem in that way.

442 and 642 smith and wessons feel like your hand is being struck by a ball peen hammer. I love them but I would never give one to a person who isn't already a shooter

The stainless 640 is a great gun but on the small and light side despite being all stainless

Last edited by Cunha; 12-06-2016 at 4:07 PM..
Old 12-07-2016, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
air/light weight revolvers = recoil from hell.

look at all metal snubbies if you are going .38 special or .357.

my snubbie is a S&W Model 60-14.
I also have a Model 19 snubbie.

the Ruger SP-101 is a wee bit larger than J-frame smiths but not as large as k-frame smiths. I found the grip to be larger in my hand but knowing what I know now I could have gone the Ruger if i'd have changed out the grips. however, at heart I prefer the S&W.

for the record: I tested the air/light weights at the range and I almost did not pick up another pistol!
That is just what I imagined with the air weights revolvers!

I'm considering the 60, snubbie. I like the Ladysmith with the wood grips, too, but not the shape of the grip.

I like the old-school s & w revolvers the best, with the wood grips. They were small but heavy, not like today's models.

I like the Ruger. It's heavier. I may go with that.
I really like the Super Redhawk Alaskan. Feels good when I'm holding it in my hands at the LGS, never shot one. Maybe, it's a bit much.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 PM

my Model 60-14 snubbie has a wee bit more weight to it than the Lady Smith.
I handled the LS Model 60 but like you found the "regular" Model 60 to fit my hand better.
also, when it came time to get a holster: the 60-14 is a wee bit long than other Model 60 snubbies.

first picture INCORRECT fit/placement in holster:
[IMG][/IMG]

2nd picture correct fit/placement in holster [change in pattern as well]:
[IMG][/IMG]

the Ruger is a tank. change of grips will make a difference. however, a friend of mine bought one at the same time I got the smith and he took it apart to smooth out burrs. my Smith did not require anything straight out of the box.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 12-09-2016, 6:08 PM

My wife likes Smith & Wesson model 66 in 2 1/2" barrel. It is loaded with Speer 38 Special 135 grain GDHP. She loves shooting it.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally View Post
Anyone shoot the Ruger 8-shot 22 LR LCR model?
.22lr wouldn't be my first choice of caliber for defense. But if you put CCI stingers in it, the person who is on the receiving end of them would eventually stop their criminal assault or activity towards you. The issue with the .22lr is the eventually time frame. Anyone can die from a bullet wound regardless of caliber but the purpose of having to discharge a firearm at someone is to stop them from doing what they're doing, not to kill. A gunshot wound can take a person several hours to bleed out till they're physically incapacitated or deceased regardless of caliber(yes .45 owners that includes you too) but that time period is likely extended with a .22lr.

With that said, I had the chance to handle a LCR 22 and WOW! I was so impressed at what a sweet little shooter it was I HAVE to have one!!!!!!! I plan on buying mine to be a target/snake pistol.

The small snubby .38's have a serious amount of recoil, stiff triggers that make accuracy difficult without lots of practice and are generally no fun to shoot unless you enjoy the pain. I'd recommend the SP101, a SW model 66, or if you don't plan on carrying it, a full sized SW 686+ or Ruger GP100. My wife has shot a SW 442, SW 66, SW 649, SW 940 and a Ruger GP100. She loves the GP100 the most and refuses to ever shoot the 940 again. But above all of those revolvers, her Sig P229r 9mm is the sweetie she adores.

Another revolver of note that hasn't been added to the approved list yet is the Kimber K6. It looks really nice but I've never handled it.
Old 03-05-2017, 7:43 PM

I love The ultra lightweight aluminum and steel revolver which is light and has a very good color simply for a woman like me. You may check a Charter arms chic lady. I'm sure ladies will appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2017, 8:02 AM
CGN Contributor

I am a newbie to Calguns, but I've enjoyed handguns for a long time, especially revolvers... BIG ones. (No CCW, though.) Currently I own two S&W's, a 686 .357 magnum, and a 629 Classic Deluxe:

I also just bought a 44-year-old Model 17-3 22LR which looks to be in fabulous shape... (still in my waiting period so I haven't shot it yet, but I can't wait!):

In any case it's great to be here, Calguns is terrific, and I look forward to learning a lot.

~A~

Own: S&W 460 XVR, S&W 629 Classic Deluxe, S&W 686, S&W 17-3, S&W 60-7, S&W 60-15, CZ 75 D PCR, CZ 75 B 40 S&W, CZ 97B, Walther PPK/S, Colt Detective Special,
Wish: S&W 25, S&W 650/651, S&W 57

Last edited by Aiala; 09-15-2017 at 4:51 AM..
Old 04-17-2017, 8:16 AM

Had the SP101 for 27+ years and loved it.
Old 04-17-2017, 4:49 PM

great picture of a great revolver, Aiala!
welcome.
Quote:
Old 04-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Did she keep the stock grip or change it out?
It seems like the surface of the grip is hard and I was wondering if the felt recoil comes "through" the grip on that particular revolver.
My sister and I both have ruger sp101 with short barrel and bobbed hammer.
The stock grips are painful to shoot, even with 38's. Replaced the stocks with Hogue grips. They have a little more material behind the trigger guard, so your knuckle doesn't get banged up.
Old 05-08-2017, 5:23 PM

I love my sig Sauer P238 .380 hd.
Perfect for my hand, lightweight, easy.
Old 05-09-2017, 6:18 AM

Smile 640 is not light, probably more pleasant to shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Depending on use the 3 inch fixed sights gp100 is pretty perfect. Many grip options though the factory grips are as good as any if you happen to like them. Also the recoil on revolvers moves more up than straight back. It won't be a problem in that way.

442 and 642 smith and wessons feel like your hand is being struck by a ball peen hammer. I love them but I would never give one to a person who isn't already a shooter

The stainless 640 is a great gun but on the small and light side despite being all stainless
Small maybe (would you pocket carry it?) not light. Neither my wife or her friends can cycle the DA only trigger (after much dry-firing).
Old 07-02-2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at new Ruger and S & W models and maybe a few other brands (for fun and self defense-not necessarily in one gun).

For fun, I like the Ruger Bearcat in stainless, fits well and I can rent one before I buy it. Recoil is not an issue with this gun.

Anyone shoot the Ruger 8-shot 22 LR LCR model? Use it for home defense?

I would also like to get a 38 spl, I prefer the snubbies however I don't care too much for the grips offered on the Ruger LCRs or the S & W Airweights. They're a bit small for me. I'm wondering about the recoil, as well.

I like the look of the Ruger SP101, its weight would probably help with the recoil. The grip is ok, I guess.

Anyone got any viewpoints they can share? Also, any place in So Cal where one rent the snubbies?

Thanks in advance!
It could be a Ruger SP101, for self or home defense because it has been known for accuracy and dependability.
Old 07-02-2017, 7:38 PM

the lcr .22 3" would be perfect. light weight, light recoil, easy to use, good fun for the range and works for defense too.

Mostly, the light weight is nice. 38 would be good but a heavier gun isnt as easy to hold.
Old 09-11-2017, 8:23 PM

New to Calguns, great info. I just wanted to jump in and say I love my GP100. Wish I could find a way to conceal carry it.

Last edited by VickiW; 09-15-2017 at 5:59 AM..