Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 01-01-2021, 4:10 PM

Default Ruger percision rifle

Anyone shooting the 300 win mag rifle having trouble getting it to zero in. I’m using a leupold vx-5hd 4-20x52 cds-tzl3. Its shooting way to high. Forgot to mention I’m using single high mount scope rings. Any thoughts or suggestions I should try. Sorry for noob question.
Old 01-01-2021, 4:27 PM

That gun has a 30 moa rail on it.

A new, optically centered, scope is going to start somewhere around 30" high at 100 yards.

That scope lists 110 moa of vertical adjustment. It should easily have enough adjustment for a 100 yard zero with a 30 moa rail. Is the elevation bottomed out?

What have you tried so far?
Old 01-01-2021, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

Does your "single high mount scope rings" also have a 20 MOA adjustment? If so, you may have 50 MOA which would cause it to shoot very high, unless you want to zero it around the 1 mile mark.
Old 01-01-2021, 4:52 PM

I’ve been messing with adjustments on scope at 100 yd and it’s still shooting pretty high. Sorry still new at this long range stuff. The ring I have are the leupold mark 4 34mm high rings.
Old 01-01-2021, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot333 View Post
I’ve been messing with adjustments on scope at 100 yd and it’s still shooting pretty high. Sorry still new at this long range stuff. The ring I have are the leupold mark 4 34mm high rings.
You should be good to go with those rings. No more MOA with those rings.

One thing to keep in mind is to try to keep the scope's bell as close to the barrel as possible, without touching.

Also, did you torque the bases to specs and then the rings to spec? Also, check out Youtube videos on tuning your Wheeler Fat wrench - sometimes they're off.

Watch plenty of videos on how to properly mount a scope. You may pick something up that you didn't consider.

Your setup should work.

Last edited by Sir Toast; 01-01-2021 at 4:58 PM..
Old 01-01-2021, 4:59 PM

Thanks for the reply’s. And info. I’m gonna have to figure a good starting point to get this thing to shoot right.
Old 01-02-2021, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Toast View Post
One thing to keep in mind is to try to keep the scope's bell as close to the barrel as possible, without touching.
This is internet fashion and has nothing to do with setting a gun up properly. It probably started with guns that have a lot of drop at the recoil pad and not much of a cheek piece. Even those guns would likely be easier to shoot with higher rings and some sort of comb riser.

The core rifle fundamentals are skeletal support, muscular relaxation, and natural point of aim. Setting up the scope so you have to look over the top of your shooting glasses doesn't do anything to support those fundamentals.

The RPR has a straight line stock like an AR. The only effective drop at the recoil pad it gets comes from raising the sight centerline. It also has an adjustable cheek piece that makes using the proper ring height easy. The massive handguard prevents getting the scope bell anywhere near the barrel.

The RPR should use AR height rings. The OP started in the right place there.
Old 01-02-2021, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot333 View Post
Thanks for the reply’s. And info. I’m gonna have to figure a good starting point to get this thing to shoot right.
The answer is likely keep turning the turret.

Maybe start closer, like 25 yards, and give bore sighting a try. Pull the bolt, fold the stock over, and sight in the rifle using the bore as a peep sight. Then adjust the scope.

I didn't see a zero stop listed in that scope's specs, but on scopes that have them, the factory setting can prevent zeroing with canted rails.
Old 01-02-2021, 1:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If the scope has 110moa of elevation, that's 55moa in each direction.
If the turret is bottomed out, it's probably the zero stop and not the erector travel that's stopping it.
Adding a 20moa mount to a 50 moa base would be troublesome too as most guns need 5moa to get a 100yd zero.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.