Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-29-2012, 9:41 PM

The reviews i read included air guns, 10/22 and 795 and when the parts fit the owners were very happy.

Reviews of the UTG scope didnt use the UTG mount, and users of the mounts didnt use UTG scopes so there isnt a way to see how this goes together. Also, the scope info doesnt say that the scope in fact included rings which people changed to other rings and not UTG. Strange.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

That is my point you can't let a few unhappy reviews influence you when you have incomplete or even inaccurate information.

You can not assume that because it did not fit on a 10/22 or an airgun (with who knows what scope) that it won't fit on a 795.

You will have to use your best guess and order the parts that you feel will fit. That's what everyone else has done and it has worked out for all of us.

All I can tell you is that the mount works and is highly recommended.
I can also tell you the UTG scope I have is great, are all UTG scopes? No idea.
Old 09-30-2012, 6:48 AM

I agree 100% chaos.

To clarify, owners of 10/22 and 795 DID say everything was fine as to medium mounts. The problem arose when owners of certain 40mm scopes said the bells didnt clear the barrels--but they didnt say which scopes. Also, owners of UTG scopes loved the scopes but had fit problems with Brand X mounts. I havent seen any reviews of 795 owners using both UTG products at the same time.

(haha we're doing finite math here, with overlapping shaded circles!)

Obviously the best way is to install mounts and take the whole thing to a shop and one by one put on different scopes and take the one that fits. Id like to avoid that by scaring up more comments.

The only complaint about UTG scopes is the increased weight compared to others. Some dont like mil dots, some find illuminated reticles useless. But nobody hates the brand.
Old 09-30-2012, 4:38 PM

So I took the marlin out yesterday for some paper punching with the fiancée. We decided to try out and use the rem n&i golden bullet bulk 225 rnd box. Everything was great! All the dip stuff worked great but my trigger stop set screw came loose but backed it out and no more issues. Ammo performed great until around 100-150 rounds. I started to get funky ejection issues pics to follow. I don't know if these were caused my a faulty ejector or spring but it happened 3 time, the 2nd time the case still have some burning powder and burnt my pinky a tiny bit. Casings were being ejected low forward towards the ground like this \.

Other then that it was great! We had fun shot all rounds. After we were done we stopped by turners to check out some scopes for my tikka. Asked if they had any mags for the 795 and low and behold they had 3! I bought 2 they were 14 bucks! They have one left unless someone bought it (Rancho cucamonga store).

This one burnt me:

All 3 time this happened a new round was picked off the mag so I don't think it's a issue with pulling the case out of the chamber maybe it bounced off the charging handle? Or off the butt stock or wall?
There's danger lurking around every corner, that's why I propose we make all of our buildings round.
Old 09-30-2012, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like a good day!
I would put a dab of blue loctite on your set screws if you haven't.

The Stovepipes my first gut reaction is to blame the Remington golden bullets.
I would try another ammo and try to replicate it.

Using CCI Blazer my casings almost all ways go like 7 feet straight to the right. Great for pelting the person next to me haha
Old 09-30-2012, 6:09 PM

Yes I was figuring it was the golden bullet. But I have changed to much to put 100% blame on ammo. We will go out again this weekend and ill try the federals. I have had zero issues with them. Oh it was a beyond great day. The range time was soo relaxing! The stuck ejected casings didn't bother us or worry me to much.
There's danger lurking around every corner, that's why I propose we make all of our buildings round.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 AM

Chaos,
Is your UTG scope on a 795 or other gun?
Which scope do you have? Do you recommend a 4-16 over a 3-12?
If you put it on a 795 did the included mounts work ok or did you change to medium profile mounts?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

CharlesV seem you are going in circles and way over thinking this.

We have provided you with all the facts about these mounts we can.
You need to use your best judgement on what will fit and then just pull the trigger and order them and see if it works.

If you look at the first page you would see my setup.
Yes it is on a 795.
I have a UTG 3-9x 50mm R/G Illuminated A/O Scope and UTG 1 piece high profile mount.
3-9x is recommended by Appleseed if you use a scope there.
It is said if you have too much magnification you start to chase perfect alignment and jerk the trigger when you have it. 3-9x served me shooting out to ~350 yards.
I plan on getting an XT-22 and scoping it, I will probably get another UTG maybe a 40mm obj with a higher magnification to save on weight. If not probably the same one I already have.
The scope I got did not have included mounts. Included mounts are usually rubbish.
I guessed and purchased the high profile version of the 1 piece mount I advocate.

Both the scope and mounts have served me well. I have been using it for over a year, many many trips to the range, ~5k shots thru it, shot out to ~350 yards, stood up to the blast wave of a 50BMG going off next to it all day long, I like the AO and the R/G, mount has never walked, scope has kept its zero.

This photo shows the gap I have between my barrel and scope.
Its a tad more then I would like but I do not think its too much.
More photos here:

Whats the worst thing that can happen if you order the wrong height rings?
Keep em and be out 15 bucks or send them back and get the high profile?

Last edited by Chaos47; 10-07-2019 at 11:53 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Wow a whole forum for the 795 .... which I have one of lol. Color me impressed.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Chaos,

Seems i AM going in circles but it got you to write the best post ever on the topic! Sometimes when something is so clear to us its hard to understand that its not common knowledge to everyone. So in my case i keep going until i get to the meat of the thing, which i did.

You should make your post a sticky because it has all essentials about the topic of scopes and i DO thank you for going to the trouble. I got it now.

Its good advice to get both mounts in this case to solve the borderline problem and i'll take the lower magnification. Ive only had two scopes in my life and didnt know a 3-9 could go out to 350 yds, i thought 150, actually.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Calguns Addict

It wasn't clear to me in the beginning either. I did a ton of research and then took the leap and got the scope and mount.

It wasn't pin point accuracy by any means at 350 yards but I was hitting a ~2.5x2.5 foot steel plate. But I could defiantly see it at 9x...

If you want higher magnification don't let me stop you. Like I said when I scope my XT-22 I might get a higher magnification but at the same time get a smaller objective. My 3-9x 50mm has some weight to it, heavier then a comparable scope? I have no idea.

Glad my post helped.

I think I will use one of the reserved posts on the front page to talk about scopes. So I will work on compiling a list of scopes people have suggested for the 795 in the past.
Old 10-01-2012, 6:03 PM

Ok! So going in circles has a point sometimes doesnt it. It gets people so annoyed they cave in and spill the beans

Yes i also am running around everywhere for info but i'll take what i have and dive in. On the weekend i'll have both a 60 and 795 and plan to outfit them differently.

Chaos i respect your knowledge and time. There are newcomers everyday and everyone needs to learn from the ground up.

Last edited by CharlesV; 10-01-2012 at 6:08 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

That would be the GI web sling. Every shoot boss I've seen gets them in bulk from CMP and sells them at the events for $10-$12 which is cheaper than ANYWHERE else even before shipping, and they are better than the new production knockoffs. One of the first things you will learn if you go is how to use the sling. If you get 1.25" swivels in advance, and email the site coordinator before going they will square you away. By halfway into the first day, you will have the right type of sling set up the right way, and you'll know the three main ways of using it. It is hard to describe by text, and practicing wrong will be a disservice, so just go. Don't worry about trying to pre-learn or "practice".
Old 10-01-2012, 9:25 PM

I have the UTG medium mount with a 3x9x40 prostaff
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 PM

Thanks inbox...thats good to know to get swivels in advance and a GI sling at the event.

Thanks j. primo, im glad to know that.
Old 10-02-2012, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

I went back again to pick up my 795 for second time, even this one has canted front sight. Turners was very good and offered me to either take my money back or try one more time. I have to wait for one more week now. Did quality of Marlin go down recently?

If the 3rd also have bad front sight, i might get a Ruger 10/22, how are the sights on 10/22? do you need to replace them or factory ones are good?

How is it 10/22 compared to 795?

please advice.
Old 10-02-2012, 4:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Please, lets not get into a 795 vs 10/22 debate in this thread.
It has been gone over many many times. Do a search there is a lot on that topic. Or start a new thread.

That being said the factory sights on both are about the same crappy basic good enough to get by with factory sights.

I am sad to hear that you have run into bad luck on these. Why can't the store get more then one in stock so you can take your pick?
Old 10-02-2012, 5:42 PM

Besides the sights, what should a buyer of a 60 or 795 inspect for prior to buying?
Old 10-02-2012, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

I give the overall firearm a once over, specifically the finish of everything to make sure it is the way it should be. On firearms that have a magazine, I'll insert it and remove it a few times to make sure it works without issue, along with the mag release. I'll work the safety and make sure the trigger can't be pulled with it on. I'll check the bolt hold-back and release, or bolt function and feel if a bolt action. Check and make sure everything that should be there, is.
Old 10-02-2012, 7:00 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

I heard Marlin 795 owners are more generous than those fire breathing 10/22 guys! (they've got bigger mega threads, that's for sure)

Have you guys checked out this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=616680

Contribute to this important CGF, Calguns and SAF endorsed effort to produce a proffesional documentary regarding the truth about gun control?

Assualted by Kris Koenig

Could really use all of our help, like right now. Maybe skip that next accesory for a few weeks? What say you noble 795 riflemen?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
I give the overall firearm a once over, specifically the finish of everything to make sure it is the way it should be. On firearms that have a magazine, I'll insert it and remove it a few times to make sure it works without issue, along with the mag release. I'll work the safety and make sure the trigger can't be pulled with it on. I'll check the bolt hold-back and release, or bolt function and feel if a bolt action. Check and make sure everything that should be there, is.
This plus I check the crown and make sure its free of defects.

I inspect my firearms at the time of paperwork and also again at pickup.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Sounds like a good day!
I would put a dab of blue loctite on your set screws if you haven't.

The Stovepipes my first gut reaction is to blame the Remington golden bullets.
I would try another ammo and try to replicate it.

Using CCI Blazer my casings almost all ways go like 7 feet straight to the right. Great for pelting the person next to me haha
Agreed on the remington ammo. My 795 don't like remington. (thunderbolts IIRC) so far it's the only ammo i've experienced this issue with consistently. Went back to Federal and haven't had one for around 1,000rds.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 PM

Chaos: I haven't cleaned my 795 in at least 1,500-2,000 rds and I feel like it has been shooting better lately? Or maybe I'm just crazy. Is this similar to your experience of your 795 liking to run "dry?"

I came close to cleaning last week, but after looking at one of my targets from earlier that day, I just couldn't bring myself to do it!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member

Rimfire firearms tend to be more accurate when they are a little dirty. I have always seen it recommended to shoot some fouling shots before matches or precision shooting if the barrel/rifle was cleaned beforehand. The other rule of thumb with rimfires is generally to not clean them until they start to lose accuracy. Of course, I clean mine all of the time so I refer back to the first rule I posted.

Running a firearm wet or dry is talking about how much lubricant is on it. Running a firearm "dry" means just having a light film of oil on the moving parts. You obviously don't want the firearm to actually be dry- cleaning it but not lubricating it when you are done. "Wet" means there is a [heavy] coating of lubricant. Like is said with centerfire AR platforms: run it wet!

For example (someone's out of focus Google image picture):
Old 10-03-2012, 1:16 AM
Calguns Addict

^exactly

I clean mine with CLP and take most of it off with a patch. The parts still have a thin coat and a shine to them. I rarely will put one drop of oil on around the bolt.

If you think about it there are hundreds of thousands of M60 and 795 that have probably never been cleaned or oiled and they work just fine.

Me? I clean every firearm after every range trip. Do they need it? Probably not but I enjoy doing it hah.
Old 10-03-2012, 6:15 AM

Thanks for the tips gents.

If there are any new shooters lurking in this thread that are on the fence about the 795, let me tell ya, GO FOR IT! You will NOT regret it!

The 795 was my first rifle and I will probably never sell this thing. Hell, I might even buy another to put on a scope on. (currently running tech sights on mine)

I'll post a pic one of these days.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3000 View Post
I went back again to pick up my 795 for second time, even this one has canted front sight. Turners was very good and offered me to either take my money back or try one more time. I have to wait for one more week now. Did quality of Marlin go down recently?
Based on my experience, yes, Marlin quality control has gone to crap, and based on the history of other companies bought out by their new owners, I don't expect Marlin to ever deserve their reputation for quality ever again.

Quote:
If the 3rd also have bad front sight, i might get a Ruger 10/22, how are the sights on 10/22? do you need to replace them or factory ones are good?

How is it 10/22 compared to 795?
By design, the 10/22 vs 795 is a rimfire .22. Couldn't care less which is which. You can listen to fanbois blather about which is better and why till long after even the 9mm vs .45 debates die off. But, the simple fact that you now seem to be rolling the dice on if a new marlin will be serviceable, I won't be buying a new Marlin anything. Either used or Ruger from here on out, and it will be more a question of availability than which is "better".

The sights on either are stock rimfire sights. In other words, they are plenty accurate to minute of rabbit, but you may want to upgrade for things like Appleseed.
Old 10-03-2012, 7:01 PM

I agree Marlin has gone down but after an action job I asked for at the time of buying, my 30-30 seems perfect. One thing, id like to replace any "fake" metal parts with older steel parts, thats all.

But in fairness, a 60/795 is only $150, not $600. Really what do people expect for $150 nowadays? Doing the internal upgrades and fixes would make it into a finer gun. Lets say you then have $300 in it. Whats wrong with that? Is the complaint here that Marlin give give a $300 gun for $150? Or that regardless of price it wasnt fantastic to start out with?
Old 10-03-2012, 8:32 PM
Veteran Member

Guys,

I didn't want to wait for one more week to check the 3rd one, so went to Turners today with my tech sights to check if the stock sights are canted or the hole drilled in the barrel is off. Luckily it was the stock sight that was crap not the threaded hole, so picked up the 795 :-)

Do i need to clean it before i take it to the range?

thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats, that was a good idea!

Yes I advocate cleaning all new firearms, gets out the packing oil and any loose metal shavings.

You don't need to detail strip the action.
Just break it down into the following, stock, trigger group/guard, action, receiver/barrel, bolt/spring/rod. Pay extra attention to getting the bolt in and out to not bend the spring.
Old 10-03-2012, 9:08 PM

only way to clean the barrel is from the muzzle end right? doesn't it mess up the crown?

thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 9:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I would never advocate cleaning from the muzzle end. Yes that can mess up rifling and the crown. I use a bore snake from the chamber out.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I plan on getting an XT-22 and scoping it,
so when is the "XT-22 Mega Thread" going to start?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian13 View Post
Agreed on the remington ammo. My 795 don't like remington. (thunderbolts IIRC) so far it's the only ammo i've experienced this issue with consistently. Went back to Federal and haven't had one for around 1,000rds.
My 795 loves remington bulk ammo, hates winchester
Old 10-05-2012, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

Working on gathering all of the info for an XT-22 megathread. Takes some time to get it all together when there is nothing like it anywhere
Old 10-05-2012, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
Working on gathering all of the info for an XT-22 megathread. Takes some time to get it all together when there is nothing like it anywhere
I'll be looking forward to it!

speaking of, i just picked up my xt-22 today can't wait to shoot it
Old 10-06-2012, 4:48 PM

I had to dremmel and file off some steel off my rifle, any suggestions on cold blueing?
Old 10-06-2012, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

What did you have to dremmel and file!?
Old 10-06-2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
What did you have to dremmel and file!?
the rifling! who needs that stuff anyways!

I had to take some metal off the bolt on my xt-22...did not want to go high rings and medium 11mm rings were still not enough.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Ah ok makes sense, Iv heard good stuff about birchwood caseys perma blue paste.

No idea if it will match your finish.. they make "super blue" and "super black" too.

Only bad thing I have had from them was their super black touchup pen. It works great looks just like the finish on an AR15 but... CLP takes it right off :/
Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Ah ok makes sense, Iv heard good stuff about birchwood caseys perma blue paste.

No idea if it will match your finish.. they make "super blue" and "super black" too.

Only bad thing I have had from them was their super black touchup pen. It works great looks just like the finish on an AR15 but... CLP takes it right off :/
Oh okay, I've been reading reviews and all of the cold blue stuff seems to have a few bad ones, but I have seen that birchwood casey has some good stuff too. I've also seen that wonder blue stuff, but reviewers seem to not like it. I'll pick up something this week, but i doubt i'll even be able to shoot or cold blue this week. I've got too much work to do, and it really sucks looking at this rifle all day