Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamfire1 View Post
Post pictures. There is a lot of denial about primers going off in hand prime tools, or with progressive presses. Words don't have the impact of pictures.

Not that pictures ever changed the mind of deniers, but they might help others not to take primers for granted. They are tricky buggers

done that twice in a 650 now i have learned to Feel them stop
Old 11-21-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I'd like to know exactly how this happened also.
the Lee automatic hand problem had a problem, no one noticed. Ever time the subject came up in a discussion reoaders went into an automatic response. They quoted R. Lee, that was all they knew and that is all they wanted to know. They blamed the pesky Federal primers.

F. Guffey
Old 11-21-2020, 1:56 PM

Were you able to feel a difference in seating pressure before it was crushed?
Old 11-21-2020, 3:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
I wonder if it was one of the older tools without the safety "lock-out" gate to block the primer supply from the ram?
Yes, both of my RCBS hand primer tools have the gate...
Always wear eye pro!!!
Hope you're on the mend, OP. It could have been worse!
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 11-26-2020, 5:03 PM

I'm glad the OP is on the mend. I once had a Winchester Large Pistol primer detonate in my Lee Auto Prime, it scared the crap out of me.. I was very lucky it didn't set off the rest of the primers in the tray. Right after that, I started wearing safety glasses.

Not sure if RCBS is the same, but Lee recommends Federal Primers to be loaded individually due to their priming compound. I know it's against what Lee states, but I normally dump 10 primers at a time in the tray. Maybe I'll knock it down to only 5, which is still against instructions. Not a huge handicap, since I rarely use Federal. I prefer Winchester or CCI.