Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-09-2020, 3:10 PM

Default Metal assets to hoard

What are your thoughts on converting fiat into metals other than the big boys like silver and gold? (I mean, *in addition to silver and gold)

Copper, zinc, brass, lead, tin, nickel, titanium-

Do you hoard any of these?

What else should I add to my stack?

Last edited by Grouchy Bear; 11-09-2020 at 3:12 PM..
Old 11-09-2020, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Bear View Post
What are your thoughts on converting fiat into metals other than the big boys like silver and gold? (I mean, *in addition to silver and gold)

Some of us have some lead, copper-coated lead, and/or jackets over lead of some sort, along with larger brass cups for temporary storage.

I store small amounts of brass in cups with anvils, and special happy dry-sauce between the two, in packs of 100, then the 100 packs together, in packs of 1000.

I stash almost pretty-pure copper, coated in plastic (PVC?) in spools, and in the walls of my home.

I also keep some tin and lead (60/40 respectively with pine sap in the middle), and some silver bearing lead/tin mixes in spools. When low, I buy a couple more spools of the same.

I keep steel on handles in the garage, along with on the driveway, and on handles in the house, with sharper edges.

I bought one Avoirdupois ounce of copper round to test coin cleaner on, after finger-oxidizing it over weeks, then months.

I have TONS of pre-measured lumber stashed in the walls, floors, and roof of my home, with steel securing it from theft.

I hope that helps... ... ...

Last edited by the86d; 11-09-2020 at 5:47 PM..
Old 11-09-2020, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Wink

Copper, lead, brass... preferably assembled...
Old 11-09-2020, 5:48 PM

I save all the scrap copper from plumbing jobs.
Old 11-09-2020, 5:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Silver, gold, nickels
http://www.coinflation.com/coins/194...kel-Value.html
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 11-09-2020, 5:59 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have some brass and lead.

No, I think gold and silver are the metals to own because they are the most readily recognized and accepted. I just can't see anyone trading some raw copper for a couple of chickens, but I could be wrong.

If you think you might have to cross a border and want to take something of value, I suggest gemstones like diamonds, because they are small and do not set off a metal detector.

Lead may have some value if bullets become scarce, but finished brass cases with primers could become very valuable. As could powder, bullets, and reloading equipment.
Old 11-09-2020, 6:00 PM

No. I am not interested in a scrapyard.

However, steel, in the form of useful things that pay for themselves such as work trucks, farm tractors, machine tools are worthwhile. A car collection doesn't fit into that because the value of a collectible car is speculative.
Old 11-09-2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTarget View Post
No. I am not interested in a scrapyard.

However, steel, in the form of useful things that pay for themselves such as work trucks, farm tractors, machine tools are worthwhile. A car collection doesn't fit into that because the value of a collectible car is speculative.
Agree that tools and machines are also good stores of value, the only issue is that they need to be maintained and kept from deteriorating. Tools hold value very well, and would be a great store of value in the event of inflation. Portability is an issue, but I am absolutely shocked at the number of people that dont have even a basic set of hand tools nor the knowledge to use them.
Old 11-09-2020, 7:05 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog View Post
Agree that tools and machines are also good stores of value, the only issue is that they need to be maintained and kept from deteriorating. Tools hold value very well, and would be a great store of value in the event of inflation. Portability is an issue, but I am absolutely shocked at the number of people that dont have even a basic set of hand tools nor the knowledge to use them.
Yes, I agree with this. Tools are a great place to put your money, but only if you know how to use them. Not very portable however.

Probably the most valuable asset is knowledge and skills. In the future, everyone will want to have people who know how to do things around.

If you studied, social sciences, English, or psychology in college you're F'd. If you know how to work with your hands and have some skill and know-how, you are golden.
Old 11-09-2020, 7:19 PM
Calguns Addict

In addition to lead you also need some organics:

https://www.survival-manual.com/gunpowder.php
Old 11-09-2020, 8:46 PM

Structural steel and the means to work with it. Barbed wire. You can't ever have enough nuts and bolts. Welding wire and rods. Consumables for the welders, drills, and lots of gases. Grinding wheels and cutoff wheels, extra blades for band saws.

Nothing better than steel.
Old 11-09-2020, 8:49 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
In addition to lead you also need some organics:

https://www.survival-manual.com/gunpowder.php
Cool. Thanks for posting that.
Old 11-10-2020, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Read The FerFal Files sometime - having lived through the Argentine collapse, he has GREAT insight on such things.

If you're looking for base metals to hang onto, consider COINS. Paper money quickly turns into toilet paper, but even Chucky Cheeze token fiat currency held some value, and the people quickly hoarded it. FYI.
Old 11-10-2020, 1:09 PM

Why hoard scrap metal?

If it is TEOTWAWKI you're prepping for, metal will be everywhere and nobody will want any.

Stick to gold and silver for trade & bartering. Gold in bars and silver in coins.
Old 11-10-2020, 1:37 PM

If we are actually talking TEOTWAWKI and not some "mild" SHTF scenario, I strongly believe (based on my hobby in studying recent history of the world) that useful goods would be worth a lot more than coins, even gold ones.

2 grand today buys you one double eagle or sh.load of rice and cans and tools and practical clothes and ammo and stuff..

If your stash is well diversified, anything practical can be traded for anything equity practical that you don't have. Gold coin, sure it can buy you couple of loafs of bread..in the beginning.
Old 11-10-2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
If we are actually talking TEOTWAWKI and not some "mild" SHTF scenario, I strongly believe (based on my hobby in studying recent history of the world) that useful goods would be worth a lot more than coins, even gold ones.

2 grand today buys you one double eagle or sh.load of rice and cans and tools and practical clothes and ammo and stuff..

If your stash is well diversified, anything practical can be traded for anything equity practical that you don't have. Gold coin, sure it can buy you couple of loafs of bread..in the beginning.
Gold has never been more than an inflation hedge, which is why I recommend gold in bars, so part of your wealth is portable if things get that bad. If you can't afford gold in large qtys, then skip trying to acquire.

Accumulate silver in coins to trade for fuel, food, ammo, etc.

This is separate than the stockpile of consumables everyone should already have/be building.
Old 11-10-2020, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Stick to gold and silver for trade & bartering. Gold in bars and silver in coins.

Well THAT goes without saying.
Old 11-10-2020, 5:08 PM

Maybe it depends on how much fiat you have and what do you intend to do with it? Are you just hoping for a barter item? Are you hoping for profit; is the for SHTF only, or what? IDK the answer to those and I'm sure they are different for all of us.

A young lady from Venezuela recent spent nearly a month at our marina and in a bizarre case of family loyalty decided to go home. She had one duffle to take with her and she filled it largely with food. I gave her two flasks with whiskey in them that I keep on the boat (I keep a six pack of them on the boat for barter). She managed to send me an email saying those two saved her food; a guard was going to take the food and she offered up the flasks and he took them and let her keep the food; she was quite grateful.

For me:
I do obtain silver when I can. Its both for SHTF and investment; I won't hesitate to sell out in inflationary times to stay ahead of the game as long as I can.

Gold is pretty much over my limit; though I have managed to get a few 1/10th and 1/4th ounce coins.

Copper used to be on ebay at about $90 for a 100 ounces in pretty well made coins - I liked these and didn't get them; they are now asking more and I've not been ready to pay more. I don't know if anyone would take them in SHTF times or not; not a big risk but until the price is back to normal I probably won't take it - also I'm back living on a boat so 100 ounces is a meaningful issue with my boats weight limits.

Nickel, tin and others I can't comment on - I've never planned on accumulating any. I do collect knives and can imagine them having some barter value.
Old 11-10-2020, 8:52 PM

Hoarding metals other than gold and silver...
Consider Building materials and tools; ala "a general store."
Nuts, Bolts, Screws, camping equipment, pipe and fittings (PVC, ABS, Copper, Steel, etc.), wood, Simpson strong tie straps, welding equipment, and so forth.

If you have a skill, consider "hoarding" some materials that match your skill(s); or materials that can be bartered.

At most of the remote job sites I have worked on, if the home owner or the contractor has the extra materials on site, that means we do not need to make the hour drive into town to pick up materials.

Something to consider.

Best regards,
870classic.
Old 11-10-2020, 9:21 PM

Yes. yes I do indeed.. That's about all I'm saying for now.
Old 11-10-2020, 9:29 PM

This might not be the right place for this but I went to Home Depot and lowes looking for some breakers for the house and in both locations they either dont have the most popular brands and if they do have some brands that are more available they doubled in price . Some electrician told me that Homelite bought out this company Murray so they dont make Murray breakers anymore and the same electrician said the shortage on breakers is coming from China . So what ever metal is used in making breakers might be worth collecting .
Old problems are like dry poop, if you let the dry poop sit it doesn't smell but the minute you decide to stir the poop with a stick, the smell comes back. Moral of the story, Don't bring up old problems!
Old 11-11-2020, 7:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Bear View Post

Platinum

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Platinum

Check the ratios. Silver is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY undervalued, in relation to gold right now, which makes it a good buy from the cheaper-than-gold perspective, but as SMARTER buy, for the historical ratios perspective.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:10 PM

Default PLAT

Platinum is a "get out of dodge" fast SHTF metal. By this I mean at an early stage of inflation you want to take your profit, for in a post SHTF stage when metals are a source of barter the masses won't give platinum its worth - they understand gold and silver but not platinum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Platinum

Old 11-11-2020, 1:07 PM

I don’t think it makes sense scrap metal either. Takes too much room. Maybe lead if you cast your own bullets but still can’t see hundreds of pounds...
Old 11-13-2020, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Tungsten buttons... or these?:

Last edited by the86d; 11-14-2020 at 10:14 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Maybe it depends on how much fiat you have and what do you intend to do with it? Are you just hoping for a barter item? Are you hoping for profit; is the for SHTF only, or what? IDK the answer to those and I'm sure they are different for all of us.

A young lady from Venezuela recent spent nearly a month at our marina and in a bizarre case of family loyalty decided to go home. She had one duffle to take with her and she filled it largely with food. I gave her two flasks with whiskey in them that I keep on the boat (I keep a six pack of them on the boat for barter). She managed to send me an email saying those two saved her food; a guard was going to take the food and she offered up the flasks and he took them and let her keep the food; she was quite grateful.

For me:
I do obtain silver when I can. Its both for SHTF and investment; I won't hesitate to sell out in inflationary times to stay ahead of the game as long as I can.

Gold is pretty much over my limit; though I have managed to get a few 1/10th and 1/4th ounce coins.

Copper used to be on ebay at about $90 for a 100 ounces in pretty well made coins - I liked these and didn't get them; they are now asking more and I've not been ready to pay more. I don't know if anyone would take them in SHTF times or not; not a big risk but until the price is back to normal I probably won't take it - also I'm back living on a boat so 100 ounces is a meaningful issue with my boats weight limits.

Nickel, tin and others I can't comment on - I've never planned on accumulating any. I do collect knives and can imagine them having some barter value.
To my way of thinking gold is bribe money for when things are almost to the point of collapse but a gold coin will still grant access or passage or keeping something with more practical value like the food in your account above.

A 1oz coin sewn into underwear might be just what you need to get through a quarantine line or to skip a search and confiscation of your goods when fleeing something really bad. Having it sewn in to the underwear will probably save it from anything but a strip search.

Having a lot of precious metals on hand and using them in time of severe inflation will probably eventually result in an armed home invasion to take them from the owner. Word will get around to where they are coming from.

Everyone's scenarios and plans are different.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 11-21-2020, 1:18 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Random hunks of titanium aren't very useful or valuable unless you can machine it too.
Old 11-21-2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Platinum is a "get out of dodge" fast SHTF metal. By this I mean at an early stage of inflation you want to take your profit, for in a post SHTF stage when metals are a source of barter the masses won't give platinum its worth - they understand gold and silver but not platinum.
Platinum is now worth 1/2 the price of gold per ounce. It used to be worth 4x.

Gold maintains value because everyone can recognize it and is used as a hedge against inflation.

Who can identify platinum? It's main value nowadays is in industrial applications such as in catalytic converters. Who needs that if the world goes SHTF?

Same for silver. It's number one use is in electronics for electrical contacts and as "ink" traces in motherboards and keyboards. Everything's getting smaller, less need, besides, smart phones are replacing desktops, laptops and tablets. Silver prices aren't going to climb because of cheap jewelry demand.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Silver is your best bet IMHO
It is known and easier to trade with for basic items
How many people can make "change" for an ounce of gold?
Trading for a car or something big ticket in the post apocalyptic world then gold will work, but for beans
Old 11-22-2020, 4:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Wink

Anyone mention "D&H Mags" yet?
Old 11-22-2020, 4:58 AM
Calguns Addict

a decent coin collection. Real pre 64 metal coins.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg