Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Default USAR Postal Matches at Sunnyvale Rod and Gun given green light

I have the GO from BOTH the USAR Marksmanship Team and my Gun Club to "host" Postal Matches.

So that's that. This is going to happen. I just have to execute on my end.

BLUF:
1) Participants will have to pay the $25 range fee.

2) Personal rifle and ammo will have to be used.

3) Course of fire to be conducted on a Saturday right after the range has been closed for public use. Participants will hang around after as my private member guests and then shoot the course of fire for the postal match.

3a) So to get the best bang for your $25 simply come before closing, and use the range like any other range paying customer. If you show up right at closing just to shoot the course of fire you're still going to be paying the $25.

4) Participants absolutely have to be card carrying DOD CAC ID service members. If you successfully shoot the course of fire I will send a USAR Letterhead memo to your MIL mail for a memorandum of record.

If nothing more becomes of these postal matches at the very least two things can be of tangible benefit to soldiers.

1) The biggest one is that it is within regulation that even my Postal Match event can be used as an RST event for one day of Battle Assembly. Especially if one comes to the range soon enough to shoot on personal time and get enough hours in to validate the work hours.

AR 350-66 - depends on your commander, but the regulations say it's valid training.

2) The brownie point memorandum for record. Do what you will with it, it's all dependent on your chain of command to place any value on it.

There are some other ideas floating in my head. There are more than a few of these postal courses of fire. I plan to have one each month (and repeat).

Nothing is stopping me from submitting a DA638 and submit for an AAM to the soldiers that complete all courses of fire at an elevated accomplishment rate. I certainly can't award it, but hey.............. AAM's have been given out for far less over a shorter period of time.

Then there's the idea of some sort of "award" for each course of fire completed to standard or higher. This will probably happen later down the road.............. Really depends on continued interest.
Old 05-16-2022, 8:38 PM

Sweet im In! thats great news. Thanks for putting this together.

Standing by for dates!
Old 05-18-2022, 4:14 PM

Actually, that "brownie point memorandum" could very easily be points or one heck of a bullet comment on an OER/NCOER. I got my TSC G3 to put a comment in my OER about being uniquely and particularly well trained in marksmanship.

If they were closer, I would definitely work it out. How close to Los Alamitos are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersapper View Post
If they were closer, I would definitely work it out. How close to Los Alamitos are they?
It's like an 8 hour drive.

I'm thinking 9-July might be the first match.

I'll start with the "Margaret Thompson Murdock Postal Match"

Zero Target at 25M.
3 magazines loaded with 2 rounds each.
Start standing at low ready weapon on safe with first magazine in weapon ready to go.

At the command to fire, assume a prone unsupported position and engage the zero target with two rounds, reload without command and re-engage the zero target with two more rounds from the barricade supported kneeling position, reload without command and reengage the zero target with two rounds from the barricade supported standing position.

40 seconds.

12 rounds. Satisfactory score is 75-120.

UNIFORM AND EQUIPMENT
All participants will shoot their issued/borrowed M16-series rifle or M4 carbine (AR15 in our case). Any Army-issued sight may be used.

This is an informal notification, but I'll write it up and get it included on the Sunnyvale Gun Club schedule and then push with formal notifications.

I'll push through regardless of number of participants for the first round of postal matches to at least do each one once. Then I'll take it from there.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersapper View Post
Actually, that "brownie point memorandum" could very easily be points or one heck of a bullet comment on an OER/NCOER. I got my TSC G3 to put a comment in my OER about being uniquely and particularly well trained in marksmanship.
Never mind participants OER bullet, what about MINE

Mine's coming due before the match takes off or anyone has shown up, but I will use what I do have so far in the ACHIEVES box:

Coordinated permissions with the USAR Marksmanship Team and Civilian Facilities to host Postal Matches, etc...

I'll just make sure the 9-JUL match date is set to solidify that claim before the OER comes due.

Last edited by Snoopy47; 05-19-2022 at 11:37 AM..
Old 05-19-2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Never mind participants OER bullet, what about MINE

Mine's coming due before the match takes off or anyone has shown up, but I will use what I do have so far in the ACHIEVES box:

Coordinated permissions with the USAR Marksmanship Team and Civilian Facilities to host Postal Matches, etc...

I'll just make sure the 9-JUL match date is set to solidify that claim before the OER comes due.
Call me when able. Let me know if you don't still have my number.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2022, 8:30 AM

Reading the rules, the equipment is

"Any load bearing equipment (LBE/LBV, MOLLE, etc.) or similar equipment issued and/or authorized by your unit. Two magazine
pouches are needed to hold spare magazines for reloading.
Standard issue helmet (PASGT, ACH, MICH, etc.)
Standard issue DA-approved uniform and boots."

If we dont have any issued modern TA-50 gear, would an old surplus ALICE rig count? Same for helmet, would an old PASGT count?
Old 05-20-2022, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

To be perfectly honest, I don't anticipate this starting off gangbusters. I'll be happy if anyone shows up. So I'll let just about any long gun in a caliber larger than .22 fly. I mean come on, it's got to have some recoil.

If you want to use a lever action 44 or draw your magazines from a fanny pack have at it.

The moment folks are getting competitive with each other and it gets legitimate traction then it should be more formal.

Other thing that occurred to me:

Army Regulation 600-20, para 4-23
THE LAUTENBERG AMENDMENT

Everyone will be submitting a completed and signed DD Form 2760.

Last thing I need is to write a Memo of Record for participation in a postal match with someone with a DV conviction and not have a 2760 to cover my rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman0154 View Post
Reading the rules, the equipment is

"Any load bearing equipment (LBE/LBV, MOLLE, etc.) or similar equipment issued and/or authorized by your unit. Two magazine
pouches are needed to hold spare magazines for reloading.
Standard issue helmet (PASGT, ACH, MICH, etc.)
Standard issue DA-approved uniform and boots."

If we dont have any issued modern TA-50 gear, would an old surplus ALICE rig count? Same for helmet, would an old PASGT count?
Old 05-22-2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
To be perfectly honest, I don't anticipate this starting off gangbusters. I'll be happy if anyone shows up. So I'll let just about any long gun in a caliber larger than .22 fly. I mean come on, it's got to have some recoil.

If you want to use a lever action 44 or draw your magazines from a fanny pack have at it.

The moment folks are getting competitive with each other and it gets legitimate traction then it should be more formal.

Other thing that occurred to me:

Army Regulation 600-20, para 4-23
THE LAUTENBERG AMENDMENT

Everyone will be submitting a completed and signed DD Form 2760.

Last thing I need is to write a Memo of Record for participation in a postal match with someone with a DV conviction and not have a 2760 to cover my rear.
You might even have the student/participant provide the iPerm'd copy of the Lautenberg form. That way it will be the same one that the unit actually has and since it would have the iPerm file number, that would cover your tail even more since it came from an official government source. If he/she lies to you, then it means he/she lied to them and that becomes a huge double whammy.

Quote: