Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > LAX Range & Ammo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LAX Range & Ammo Hosted by www.laxammo.com

Old 02-03-2022, 11:51 AM

Default Online price and in person pricing

Why are LAX Ammo pricing different for online vs. walk in? I live in LA and used to frequent the range before they started requiring patrons to buy their over priced ammo to utilize their range which leads to the main question...

Why do you guys give better rates to out of state customers and price anywhere from 30%~70% more to your local walk in customers? Your online pricing is almost as competitive to other national pricing but when I walked into your store and asked why the price seems far cheaper online, your employee gave me an answer I couldn't understand. According to him online business and walk in retail are two different entities. But they advertise same address, same name and same phone number. So let's cut through the bull and tell us what the real reason is?

I found a bunch of out of state vendors who's willing to ship to CA to an FFL that's willing to accept my ammo purchases by charging me a $10 transfer fee with a $1 back ground check which I think is reasonable. Currently I buy CCI Blazer 115 gr 9mm for .34 a round. I recently bought Ammo inc's 77 gr .223 match grade for $13.99 per 20 making it .70 cents a round. These aren't some unicorn sales somewhere out of state. These are relatively easy to find deals online. Can someone from LAX elaborate? This is an issue for you guys because you guys get tons of inquires about this in the form of bad reviews at google and on yelp. You might want to clear the air?

Last edited by mygaas; 02-03-2022 at 3:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygaas View Post
Why are LAX Ammo pricing different for online vs. walk in? I live in LA and used to frequent the range before they started requiring patrons to buy their over priced ammo to utilize their range which leads to the main question...

Why do you guys give better rates to out of state customers and price anywhere from 30%~70% more to your local walk in customers? Your online pricing is almost as competitive to other national pricing but when I walked into your store and asked why the price seems far cheaper online, your employee gave me an answer I couldn't understand. According to him online business and walk in retail are two different entities. But they advertise same address, same name and same phone number. So let's cut through the bull and tell us what the real reason is?

I found a bunch of out of state vendors who's willing to ship to CA to an FFL that's willing to accept my ammo purchases by charging me a $10 transfer fee with a $1 back ground check which I think is reasonable. Currently I buy CCI Blazer 115 gr 9mm for .34 a round. I recently bought Ammo inc's 77 gr .223 match grade for $13.99 per 20 making it .70 cents a round. These aren't some unicorn sales somewhere out of state. These are relatively easy to find deals online. Can someone from LAX elaborate? This is an issue for you guys because you guys get tons of inquires about this in the form of bad reviews at google and on yelp. You might want to clear the air?
That's because they are greedy and stupid. I called them a number of times, they either do not answer or quote me $470 for 1000 rd of reload 9mm. Yeah I would NEVER spend money there, these guys are bull ****ters. They are in the business gauging. Also difference in price tells me they are dishonest. List your god damn CA ammo price stop playing the games. 0 stars, stay away!
Old 04-05-2022, 4:15 AM

Not to mention you can't even place an order online for online prices to pick up at the store either.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyyder52 View Post
That's because they are greedy and stupid. I called them a number of times, they either do not answer or quote me $470 for 1000 rd of reload 9mm. Yeah I would NEVER spend money there, these guys are bull ****ters. They are in the business gauging. Also difference in price tells me they are dishonest. List your god damn CA ammo price stop playing the games. 0 stars, stay away!
I've shot a few hundred of their inhouse reloads at their range and I've experience 2~3 percent failure to cycle or load failures. Had the employee clear the jam for me each time but they kept telling me that's normal. CCi Blazer and PMC which I've shot in thousands so far didn't jam once. Their reloads are crappy. And the fact that they're selling them almost 500 bucks for a thousand is highway robbery. I buy 9mm CCI blazer for about .34 a round.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DProm View Post
Not to mention you can't even place an order online for online prices to pick up at the store either.
That might be because of CA law. All ammo transaction from start to end has to be done in person I believe.
Old 05-02-2022, 4:53 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyyder52 View Post

That's because they are greedy and stupid.

I disagree.

Their retail walk-in vs. online pricing is different because by the time you have paid the online order handling fee and the cost of shipping, you're right about where the retail prices are, and both before sales tax.

Of course, don't take my word for it. Call them again, be patient, and ask why.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 05-02-2022, 5:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FUD from mygaas Must end with ffl, CAN ORDER ONLINE

Last edited by edgerly779; 05-02-2022 at 5:23 PM.. Reason: c
Old 05-02-2022, 5:29 PM
Banned

Here are what LAX Ammo's website explaining your question.

SHOPPING AT OUR BRICK-AND-MORTAR LOCATION

Our brick-and-mortar store in Inglewood, California is a great place for Southern California residents to purchase their ammunition and firearms accessories. Because we have to pay employees and overhead expenses on our building and loading facility, our in-store prices are slightly higher than what you pay when you buy ammo online at times.

https://www.laxammo.com/website-only-deals

They have two business models (Online and in-store). And they seem to have enough in-store customers to keep them afloat. There are people out there willing to pay $1 a round and they think its the norm.

Last edited by sfe187; 05-02-2022 at 5:35 PM..
Old 05-02-2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfe187 View Post

Our brick-and-mortar store in Inglewood, California is a great place for Southern California residents to purchase their ammunition and firearms accessories. Because we have to pay employees and overhead expenses on our building and loading facility, our in-store prices are slightly higher than what you pay when you buy ammo online at times.

Would they not have to pay employees and overhead on their facility any way? Sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul if you ask me.
Old 05-02-2022, 6:01 PM

Lax is ammo is a joke. Their markups are ridiculous!
Old 05-02-2022, 6:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Bot View Post
Would they not have to pay employees and overhead on their facility any way? Sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul if you ask me.
Nobody is forced to give them business. Me included.

As to your question, brick and mortar operating costs are much higher than online direct to customer. Who knows they might not even paying rent either as it could be family owned land or etc. But they can spin it every way possible to make themselves look good but in general an online business does have less overhead to begin with.
Old 05-02-2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:

As to your question, brick and mortar operating costs are much higher than online direct to customer. Who knows they might not even paying rent either as it could be family owned land or etc. But they can spin it every way possible to make themselves look good but in general an online business does have less overhead to begin with.
true it just feels dishonest, and also implies that the local is actually paying for the overhead while the online guy isn't. Even without selling ammo locally they're still paying for the space, still paying the people doing the reloading work, still paying the range employees.
I've never been impressed with these guys, and laugh every time one of my co-workers tells me he bought form them.
Old 05-04-2022, 9:20 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

One must remember that L.A. City residents, anyway, have been prohibited from having ammunition delivered to their homes.

LAX Ammo's retail location was a great way for an Angeleno to get stocked up back in the day before prices got stupid.

Now it's all of California that cannot order ammo online, iirc, right? Must go to an FFL to get their ammo transferred. LAX is an FFL but for ammo only. They do not FFL firearms (though the LAX Firing Range does rent firearms for use inside their range).

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 05-04-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygaas View Post
That might be because of CA law. All ammo transaction from start to end has to be done in person I believe.
Not true..
Have placed online orders for ammo at SW and went and picked up in store...
Old 05-10-2022, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffar_n View Post
Not true..
Have placed online orders for ammo at SW and went and picked up in store...

Is SW in CA? I do order online from out of state vendors and have it shipped to an FFL where I go pick up from after a background check.
Old 05-10-2022, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
One must remember that L.A. City residents, anyway, have been prohibited from having ammunition delivered to their homes.

LAX Ammo's retail location was a great way for an Angeleno to get stocked up back in the day before prices got stupid.

Now it's all of California that cannot order ammo online, iirc, right? Must go to an FFL to get their ammo transferred. LAX is an FFL but for ammo only. They do not FFL firearms (though the LAX Firing Range does rent firearms for use inside their range).
I don't quite understand how that explains their pricing discrepancy.
Old 05-10-2022, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
FUD from mygaas Must end with ffl, CAN ORDER ONLINE
I actually asked LAX AMMO if I can order from them online and that's what they told me. So they lied to me about that too?
Old 05-10-2022, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
I disagree.

Their retail walk-in vs. online pricing is different because by the time you have paid the online order handling fee and the cost of shipping, you're right about where the retail prices are, and both before sales tax.

Of course, don't take my word for it. Call them again, be patient, and ask why.

Absolutely not true. 1000 rounds of cci blazer 115gr 9mm from an out of state vendor I buy from is around $319.00 for a thousand rounds as of today.

Tax is about $30 bucks and shipping is around $20. That makes it $369 total which is still around .36 cents a round. LAX AMMO sells their horrendous reloads for .50 cents a round and this was at their lowest. Blazer, PMC, Lawman are even more. I'm talking plinking rounds here, not defensive rounds. It is not the same. Also I've never seen out of state vendors charge me "handling" fee.
Old 05-10-2022, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
As to your question, brick and mortar operating costs are much higher than online direct to customer. .
Online still has to have a brick and mortar place to operate from - and when they are the same facility it's a wash. Retail uses more display space than storage racks of goods. Walk in customers take more time to wait on vs some guy grabbing pre ordered stuff off the shelf. Online has packaging and shipping to add on.
Old 05-10-2022, 9:09 AM

Quote:

They have two business models (Online and in-store). And they seem to have enough in-store customers to keep them afloat. There are people out there willing to pay $1 a round and they think its the norm.
If they can get away with upcharging that much more power to them but I don't believe for a second their explanation. You need a brick and mortar for online sales too. You need a physical location for storage and employees to process the orders. I order from true shot gun club in AZ and they also have a brick and mortar and they don't have walk in retail rates vs. online rates. How are they able to do business at the national average price and stay in business? I suppose "slightly" can be subjective but 30~50% is not slight in my books.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Whether in person or online ordering, the business needs a brick and mortar location to run the operation, not to mention employees. That business owning their own land can apply to walk in retail too so I don't see how that reasoning applies to the grossly over priced retail price compared to the national average.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

It's obvious what's going on here. They advertise decent online prices, ship and sell out of state. They use the CA ammo ban law in their favor and gouge the locals because we can't buy ammo online and have it shipped directly to our door (without FFL03). IMO the way they conduct business is quite scummy, hard pass for me.