Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-11-2021, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

If you carry a G19, one should try to get one of those combo laser/flashlight/bayonet attachments.

Boom - three birds stoned at once.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Fanny Pack Boomer!
Old 06-11-2021, 4:43 PM
Veteran Member

Are you drowning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
Gun is obviously for deadly encounters, knife is more multi use and may not even be self defense related, pepper spray could be used in a non-lethal situation. Extra magazine is probably a good idea especially with only 8+1 in this gun. However this stuff plus the other normal carry stuff like a wallet, phone, keys, etc it’s a lot.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-11-2021, 7:15 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
But you do wear clothes with 20 pockets?

Why a flashlight? I'm honestly curious unless your daily routine regularly takes you into unlit corridors or dark alleys at night. When I walk my dog at night (he's a bulldog and daylight walks have him panting after just a few hundred yards - so he prefers nighttime walks) I typically wear a Black Diamond headband lamp that illuminates my path very well and also keeps my hands free. There are plenty of coyotes in my area and I've seen their eyeshineany times as they try to stalk me and my doggie.
Why a flashlight? Not even sure if serious. If I need to get out of a smoke filled anything, a movie theater when SHTF or anything at night when the power goes out and the emergency lighting that hasn't been tested in 20 years fails, the flashlight is gold.

Also, I use it on the regular when inspecting used guns at FFLs. It is a tiny 1AA sized flashlight with a powerful beam, about the size of a standard Bic lighter.

A better question is why not flashlight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K001 View Post
Fanny Pack Boomer!
Soon....

As soon as my back gives out from the crossbody, probably!

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-11-2021 at 7:18 PM..
Old 06-15-2021, 7:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I edc a pistol and a 3" folder. I don't edc a spare mag or flashlight or pepperspray but every car has one of each in it as I do spend a lot of time in the car. I'm pretty much either in the car, the office or at home.
Old 06-16-2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Gun is obviously for deadly encounters, knife is more multi use and may not even be self defense related, pepper spray could be used in a non-lethal situation. Extra magazine is probably a good idea especially with only 8+1 in this gun. However this stuff plus the other normal carry stuff like a wallet, phone, keys, etc it’s a lot.

Your thoughts?
A 2nd magazine is more likely to be used to get you pistol running following a malfunction. There are plenty of great small lights out there that can ride next to your pocket knife, and I have a weapon mounted light as well. Ask yourself: "If I knew I was going to have to fight for my life today would this be too much?"
Old 06-16-2021, 9:17 PM

My thoughts would be using a judgment call. Great to have all the tools. To feel forced in carrying all the tools all the time may not be necessary and hence judgment. When I go out to the back country, I usually always have a light, a 45, a knife, extra mag (especially hiking alone). My wife wants me to have a mag with blanks in case I have a bear encounter. That is actually a good method since we do that at boy scout camp when some dumb *** troop leaves a big steak out and the bears come. They use a camp shotgun with blanks and scar off the bears. I would never carry blanks in a CCW weapon for obvious reasons, but a separate mag with a different color, not bad idea for wild life. For urban areas, compact 9. Don't really go with extra mag unless civil unrest. Around town going to the gym, usually gun free. Crime rate is close to zero and the gun battle would probably be with another CCW over a parking spot.

I am thinking about snake gaiters. Lots of rattlers out now. Different subject.

Actually I am now thinking of what first aid items to carry. In urban areas, 911 is fast, yet rural, always good to keep my first aid kit with me. I think having to assist in a medical emergency is low, yet probably higher than self protection of CCW.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:39 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Guy View Post
My wife wants me to have a mag with blanks in case I have a bear encounter. That is actually a good method since we do that at boy scout camp when some dumb *** troop leaves a big steak out and the bears come. They use a camp shotgun with blanks and scar off the bears.
If you think the noise will work, carry normal ammo and try a shot into the ground. If the bear runs away, great. If it runs at you, you have something slightly more effective than a noisemaker.

By repute, most handguns are not very good bear defense. As with many things, one must use what one has at hand - but often it's possible to have planned for the event, and have brought along something better suited for the job. (e.g Marlin 1895 in .45-70 Government)
Old 06-17-2021, 5:44 AM

I like these discussions as it gives one pause to review your priorities, what you carry and when.

Since i wear a T.Rex Arms side car, pistol and extra mag same holster, easily accessible with either hand.
I carry a small light and a folding knife. Light because my old eyes don't function as well as they used to in low light, so i use it often to "find" small parts that have jumped off my workbench and tried to escape. The knife for basic utilities.
I was once asked if i would use my knife instead of a gun in an altercation. My response is straightforward, the knife is to keep you off me until i can get to my pistol.
First aide kit and tourniquet are in both vehicles as well as a boo boo kit.

I also carry a basic set of tools, rope, tow strap in my truck for situations that arise when i am traveling across town or off road.

Prepare for what you believe is reasonable. Re-evaluate often.
Check your gear on a regular basis.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
If you think the noise will work, carry normal ammo and try a shot into the ground. If the bear runs away, great. If it runs at you, you have something slightly more effective than a noisemaker.

By repute, most handguns are not very good bear defense. As with many things, one must use what one has at hand - but often it's possible to have planned for the event, and have brought along something better suited for the job. (e.g Marlin 1895 in .45-70 Government)
I agree completely. Blanks make the wife happy. Probably will help with Rangers and Fish and Game if it turns into an "incident". Campsites can have some people who may look at shooting at a bear as attempted homicide. Just a precaution in California.

Immediate threat...simple, stop the threat. Purely if you have time and can control the situation, then blanks.
Old 06-17-2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
You don't use the small caliber guns to shoot the bear, you shoot the person next to you to get away joking!

Get your power armor as fast as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
im hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes up
Old 06-17-2021, 7:00 PM

I carry a pistol and a spare mag front left pocket. I would like to carry a fixed blade knife but those are illegal. Sometimes I carry a folding knife but if I really needed it for self defense I don't know that I could access it and open it in time.

RE pepper spray I thought that would be a great idea so I bought one large and one small. Then I thought I better try it out to make sure I work it correctly. So I went outside and sprayed it on the undergrowth and stepped back. I didn't feel anything. So I got a little closer. I didn't feel anything. Eyes and throat were fine. So I got closer and closer. Finally I got close enough to sniff it. Nothing I sprayed some on my fingers. Nothing. Brought it a little closer. Nothing. finally I touched it to my tongue and it burned like crazy. It was horrible.

I didn't realize pepper spray works only on contact and if you do not hit a mucus membrane (eyes, nose, or mouth) it doesn't do anything. Nothing. So it seems to me pepper spray is pretty useless. It is completely defeated by closing your eyes for a moment and keeping your mouth closed. So I don't carry that at all. I don't get why anyone would.
Old 06-17-2021, 7:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post

I didn't realize pepper spray works only on contact and if you do not hit a mucus membrane (eyes, nose, or mouth) it doesn't do anything. Nothing. So it seems to me pepper spray is pretty useless. It is completely defeated by closing your eyes for a moment and keeping your mouth closed. So I don't carry that at all. I don't get why anyone would.
Probably because people breathe, and frequently open their eyes, thus getting the capsaicin on those membranes.
Old 06-18-2021, 9:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree completely. Blanks make the wife happy. Probably will help with Rangers and Fish and Game if it turns into an "incident". Campsites can have some people who may look at shooting at a bear as attempted homicide. Just a precaution in California.

Immediate threat...simple, stop the threat. Purely if you have time and can control the situation, then blanks.
I have had a bit of a revelation.

This afternoon, my wife showed me some pictures from F-book. The pics were 3 game-cam pictures of what is pretty sure to be a black bear, taken this morning about 0300.

The game cam is on the north side of a neighbor's house, one block west and across the street north. (There's a few hundred to 1000 acres of mixed forest north of our neighborhood.)

Well.

Not real concerned - we're not out much after 10pm, but sometimes. And, since we live less than a mile from 'downtown', we often walk.

Open carrying a shotgun with slugs would be legal, but I bet it would Disturb The Neighbors.

I CCW a G19. Turns out there's ammo to address this problem - Buffalo Bore 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN $1.50/round, and $hipping is painful, but it's in stock, so I ordered some.
Quote:
This load is designed to penetrate deeply (4 to 6 feet) in a straight line, through flesh and bones and that flat nose does considerably more terminal damage, as it crushes its way through tissues, than a round nose bullet does as it slips and slides its way through tissues and that crushing action, keeps the bullet nose forward and ensures very deep straight-line penetration. Round nose bullets tend to get sideways as they slip and slide through tissues and this often causes them to veer off the path. This bullet is designed to crush through a large bear skull, coming and going.
It also exists in .357 magnum, and I have one of those, so I bought some of that. Helps to divide the shipping cost among products.

So, there's the plan and get sort-of-the-right-thing for this remote possibility of a problem. If that occurs, I hope the ammo works - I never could outrun a bear.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-18-2021 at 10:33 PM..
Old 06-19-2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I carry a pistol and a spare mag front left pocket. I would like to carry a fixed blade knife but those are illegal. Sometimes I carry a folding knife but if I really needed it for self defense I don't know that I could access it and open it in time.

RE pepper spray I thought that would be a great idea so I bought one large and one small. Then I thought I better try it out to make sure I work it correctly. So I went outside and sprayed it on the undergrowth and stepped back. I didn't feel anything. So I got a little closer. I didn't feel anything. Eyes and throat were fine. So I got closer and closer. Finally I got close enough to sniff it. Nothing I sprayed some on my fingers. Nothing. Brought it a little closer. Nothing. finally I touched it to my tongue and it burned like crazy. It was horrible.

Fixed blade knife are legal to carry non-concealed, it IS illegal in California to carry a fixed blade knife conceal. Not sure what you meant when you said they are “illegal.” Maybe you meant to carry them concealed like your gun.

Are your sprays gel or misters? You can try spraying it directly on your face to see how closing your eyes and holding your breath would work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2021, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Your thoughts?
Here you go, my EDC:

Old 06-19-2021, 8:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You couldn't be more wrong. 10's of thousands of cops around the country would laugh at this statement.

Quote:
So it seems to me pepper spray is pretty useless. It is completely defeated by closing your eyes for a moment and keeping your mouth closed. So I don't carry that at all. I don't get why anyone would.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:

This afternoon, my wife showed me some pictures from F-book. The pics were 3 game-cam pictures of what is pretty sure to be a black bear, taken this morning about 0300.

The game cam is on the north side of a neighbor's house, one block west and across the street north. (There's a few hundred to 1000 acres of mixed forest north of our neighborhood.)

Well.

Not real concerned - we're not out much after 10pm, but sometimes. And, since we live less than a mile from 'downtown', we often walk.

Open carrying a shotgun with slugs would be legal, but I bet it would Disturb The Neighbors.

I CCW a G19. Turns out there's ammo to address this problem - Buffalo Bore 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN $1.50/round, and $hipping is painful, but it's in stock, so I ordered some.

It also exists in .357 magnum, and I have one of those, so I bought some of that. Helps to divide the shipping cost among products.

So, there's the plan and get sort-of-the-right-thing for this remote possibility of a problem. If that occurs, I hope the ammo works - I never could outrun a bear.
That reminds me, I need to make sure I switch out my 45 carry load when in rural area. I carry a 45+P 78 grain fragmenting hollow point round for carry. It is super light since most of the 45 ACP is hollowed out (urban load). Makes a G30s into a G19 with weight. Probably useless against any sizable wildlife. Still have my Winchester 230 grain full metal jacket target rounds and probably would do much better. Turns the G30S into a heavy brick. May need to look into ammo for rural that has better performance. Something I have been putting off with ammo prices, yet should do that for a carry CCW round.
Old 06-20-2021, 4:47 AM

Quote:
That reminds me, I need to make sure I switch out my 45 carry load when in rural area. I carry a 45+P 78 grain fragmenting hollow point round for carry. It is super light since most of the 45 ACP is hollowed out (urban load). Makes a G30s into a G19 with weight. Probably useless against any sizable wildlife. Still have my Winchester 230 grain full metal jacket target rounds and probably would do much better. Turns the G30S into a heavy brick. May need to look into ammo for rural that has better performance. Something I have been putting off with ammo prices, yet should do that for a carry CCW round.

Try some Underwood Xtreme Defenders in 45 acp. Those will get the job done. Hard to source right now though.

The other, more expensive option is to find a G29 top end and drop it right onto your frame and shoot full strength 10mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-20-2021, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
Here you go, my EDC:

No cell phone?
Keys?

Nice watch....
Old 06-20-2021, 7:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Do you also think your gun works if you come close?

Someone would have to keep their eyes and mouth closed, and hold their breath for a long time, once they get hit with pepper spray. It tends to stick to surfaces.

Decontamination for pepper spray usually involves gallons of running water, watch any of the O.C. decontamination videos on Youtube, you'll see that stuff is no joke.
Old 06-20-2021, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
Try some Underwood Xtreme Defenders in 45 acp. Those will get the job done. Hard to source right now though.

The other, more expensive option is to find a G29 top end and drop it right onto your frame and shoot full strength 10mm.

G29 sounds interesting. Probably like a G36 slide on a G30 which is really a G30S. I really like the SF frame and add a 10m slide would give dual purpose to my 45 into 10mm. Much cheaper than buying a G29. Something I could check with my IA. They are pretty good and have heard they are ok with multi caliber. Maybe one of those just use in my IA county type deals since could be problematic with agencies especially in the bay area when they see a slide that doesn't match the frame they will have me in handcuffs.

Never thought of Glockenstein the 30S to a 29 but probably works just fine especially for the back country. Probably will check glock forums, yet sounds like the same thing people do with G30 and G36. The CCW may be an issue, but think they are ok with it locally. An idea to think about and look into.
Old 06-20-2021, 9:01 AM

Found a aftermarket barrel change to 10m with KKM at $165. That would just require the barrel and new mags. That would keep the 30S frame and slide for matching numbers. Glock barrel changes won't work and would need the original slide. Maybe something worth testing. Will keep the 45 for now but an idea for later. Still would need to get IA approval for multi cal. yet wouldn't have matching issues with weapon to permit.
Old 06-20-2021, 9:03 AM

Quote:
G29 sounds interesting. Probably like a G36 slide on a G30 which is really a G30S. I really like the SF frame and add a 10m slide would give dual purpose to my 45 into 10mm. Much cheaper than buying a G29. Something I could check with my IA. They are pretty good and have heard they are ok with multi caliber. Maybe one of those just use in my IA county type deals since could be problematic with agencies especially in the bay area when they see a slide that doesn't match the frame they will have me in handcuffs.

Never thought of Glockenstein the 30S to a 29 but probably works just fine especially for the back country. Probably will check glock forums, yet sounds like the same thing people do with G30 and G36. The CCW may be an issue, but think they are ok with it locally. An idea to think about and look into.

I’ve dropped a G29 slide on my G30 SF frame and it worked perfectly

Old 06-20-2021, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Found a aftermarket barrel change to 10m with KKM at $165. That would just require the barrel and new mags. That would keep the 30S frame and slide for matching numbers. Glock barrel changes won't work and would need the original slide. Maybe something worth testing. Will keep the 45 for now but an idea for later. Still would need to get IA approval for multi cal. yet wouldn't have matching issues with weapon to permit.

The KKM conversion barrel won’t work in your G30S slide, the slide is a tad too narrow. Some people have successfully shaved the barrel to fit but you may not want to go down that road. A G29 full upper is your best bet. My IA in Sacramento has no issue with changing out the slide for a multicaliber carry weapon since the frame is the only thing that counts regarding serial number. Check with your IA to be sure.

Old 06-20-2021, 9:30 AM

Quote:

Well.

With those prices I wouldn't care what the neighbors say!

Get your power armor as fast as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
im hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes up
Old 06-22-2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
I'd ditch the pepper spray and add a flashlight.
This.

I've also been carrying a trauma kit in either an ankle or IWB pouch.
Old 07-29-2021, 7:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i carry a glock 26 every day. have spare mag on a neomag and pocket folder clipped inside pocket. wallet, keys, phone and pepper spray inside pocket. flashlight clipped to a belt loop and tactical pen clipped to my polo shirt near near the in between the buttons

forgot to mention the pocket knife. a second knife for work days.

Life member: NRA, CRPA, SAF

Last edited by xblax619; 09-02-2021 at 7:53 PM.. Reason: add
Old 08-01-2021, 12:55 PM

I'll say it again I have carried a fully serrated Spyderco knife everyday since 1993. Not for defense but to help if needed to extract people from seat belts. Guest speaker 1st week of OCSD Sheriff's Academy said he came across a car accident where the seat belt buckle was pinned against the center console. But officer on scene could not free the women. OCFA arrived and got her out but she had extensive burns on her legs.".

Moral of the story.... you don't need a gigantic folder and you don't want those garbage " letter opener style cutters" carry a small functional serrated or partially serrated blade. My .02
Old 08-01-2021, 1:09 PM

So, I bought the previously mentioned jeans in 44 x 32 and they are way too big for me. I'm barely a 42. I'd hate to throw them away. Only wore once and washed them. $10 to cover shipping to your door. They are Color: Medium Wash which is normal blue jean color.

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-jrf200...AaApZ6EALw_wcB

I'm not following this thread. PM me if interested.

Last edited by VolvoWrench; 08-01-2021 at 1:17 PM..
Old 08-20-2021, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Default My goodness, it's Wild Kingdom up here!

Quote:

So, talking with neighbors this week, a different neighbor, down the hill, has home security camera footage of a mountain lion in their back yard ...

Those big kitties are supposed to be a bit fragile, and 'easier' to dissuade, if one gets to see them first.

There's a homeless camp up in those woods; I wonder how they are dealing with large-ish visitors.
Old 08-21-2021, 7:10 AM

I have bear, mountain lion, bob cat, fox, coyotes, and two legged critters that visit my two properties. Lucky for me the bear have only visited my rural property. We have a lion that has been showing up at the house lately.

My everyday carry is one of two 357 magnums with two reloads. 125g hollow points as a nice all around load.

When in bear country or knowingly around larger animals a nice 325g hard cast 45 Colt bear load is in my Blackhawk on my left hip with my 357 on the right as primary.

I don't usually pack a light on me but my work has me using a Streamlight 20x all evening so if it's dark out that light is usually with me. I carry knives all the time, three of them, for different purposes.

This time of year one of my reloads for the 357 is a loader full of snake shot. I will pop that in if walking where snakes are known. Otherwise I leave it on the belt in the summer so I can swap out ammo if I encounter a snake that needs dispatched. Once snake season is over that loader is filled with hollow points again.

When I do carry the 1911 it is usually just the loaded gun. If I am going someplace populated then an extra mag in the back pocket comes with me. When driving my horse in the cart I have a nice S+W 9mm with a lanyard attached for times things might go sideways. if the horse bolts the gun is attached to me and won't get lost if I drop it. Firing a gun off while in the horse cart is a last resort kind of thing. I carry pepper spray on the cart to use as a first line of defense against a dog attacking my horse.
Old 08-21-2021, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So, talking with neighbors this week, a different neighbor, down the hill, has home security camera footage of a mountain lion in their back yard ...

Those big kitties are supposed to be a bit fragile, and 'easier' to dissuade, if one gets to see them first.

There's a homeless camp up in those woods; I wonder how they are dealing with large-ish visitors.
Well that really sucks. I hope they are a lot more careful with fire, then they are down here.

Hope you both are doing ok and enjoying the new place.
Old 08-24-2021, 6:17 AM

Average gunfight is what? 1.5 - 3 seconds depending on source. Unless you’re operator operating in an operation, if you need a second mag you’re already in trouble or on legal deep doo doo having to justify grabbing a second mag versus escaping a bad situation. Second mag is probably less important than a knife, pepper spray, or even a tourniquet.
5/25/21: Request for interview
6/03/21: Interview completed and Livescan submitted w/CA and FBI completed
6/14/21: Firearms Livescan: completed
8/16/21: Request to complete firearms training
8/22/21: Gun training completed/Certs submitted
10/11/21: Call to pickup
10/13/21: CCW permit picked up
Old 08-24-2021, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ca View Post
I'll say it again I have carried a fully serrated Spyderco knife everyday since 1993. Not for defense but to help if needed to extract people from seat belts. Guest speaker 1st week of OCSD Sheriff's Academy said he came across a car accident where the seat belt buckle was pinned against the center console. But officer on scene could not free the women. OCFA arrived and got her out but she had extensive burns on her legs.".

Moral of the story.... you don't need a gigantic folder and you don't want those garbage " letter opener style cutters" carry a small functional serrated or partially serrated blade. My .02

I’ve been carrying a Spyderco full serrated blade for a few months now and I have to say, for opening boxes, cutting through packing material, etc, it works incredibly well. Ability to cut seatbelts is just another bonus that could save yours or someone else’s life. I previously carried a Spyderco PM2 as a general cutting tool and also as a backup defensive tool but the chances of me having to cut a seatbelt are probably higher than using my knife in a self-defense scenario. I’m keeping the serrated blade (Spyderco Atlantic Salt) in the carry rotation.

Old 08-27-2021, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
I’ve been carrying a Spyderco full serrated blade for a few months now and I have to say, for opening boxes, cutting through packing material, etc, it works incredibly well. Ability to cut seatbelts is just another bonus that could save yours or someone else’s life. I previously carried a Spyderco PM2 as a general cutting tool and also as a backup defensive tool but the chances of me having to cut a seatbelt are probably higher than using my knife in a self-defense scenario. I’m keeping the serrated blade (Spyderco Atlantic Salt) in the carry rotation.

Spyderco is a great serrated blade. I started out carrying a Spyderco sheep's foot folder on duty.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:13 AM

Sub a Streamlight for the sunglasses at night. I keep a light in my truck though so one goes where I do.