Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smile What's the difference? Sordins and made-by-Sordin

I've been eyeing 3 Ear pro Sets: Sordin Supreme Pro-X LED, SWATCOM Active 8's, and 3M Peltor Comtac V Defenders. Are the Comtac V's and the SWATCOM active 8's(which I know are also made by Sordin) better than the Supreme Pro-X's? Just trying to garner some feedback because the headsets are pretty expensive, but hearing is priceless IMO.

Old 08-07-2022, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the Sordin Supreme Pro X's. And if I had to do over again, I'd go with the Comtacs...note that I don't know anything about the Swatcoms. The Sordins are ok but they have a feedback issue...if you pop them off your head while they're still on...and the ear cups get close to one another (no way to avoid that), then you get a feedback squeal. It's just super annoying to me.

Note that Military Arms Channel has several reviews of ear pro on their channel and they cover both of these units...and their Sordins have the feedback issue too. The units are fine besides this one issue.

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-07-2022, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Never heard of the swatcom but I have some sordins that are now on a helmet and comtac v’a I bought when I dedicated those to a helmet. As far as sound goes I don’t think there’s a huge noticeable difference for me but the head band on the Peltors is so much more comfortable. I hate the headband on the sordins. Very uncomfortable if you wear them for any extended periods. Whatever you get get the gel cups, there’s some on Amazon for way cheaper than their brands that I notice no difference from the oem ones.
Old 08-08-2022, 4:47 PM

No experience with SWATCOMs or Comtac V (yet) but plenty of experience with MSA Sordins and Comtacs II & III. Comtacs are easily superior to Sordins in my experience. I never had a Comtac fail, not even the most beat up military surplus units. It also helps that I have been able to get a few sets for dirt cheap.

I have had a set of Sordins fail more than once, both times I sent to SRS Tactical for repairs. Moisture seeping into the circuit boards and older battery box design were the main culprits. After second repair, they stayed in my gear room until I finally sold them.

I had a few friends, coworkers, and even Military Arms have the same issue. In fact, MAC had a Instagram post where he called them garbage lol. I happen to agree with him, as I had cheaper sets like Peltor 500s, Howard Leights and Opsmen far outlast my Sordins I had. Good thing I also got my old Sordins for a steal, as there is no way I'd pay the typical asking price for them!

Maybe the newer post MSA units are better but Im not going to waste my money to find out, as my Comtacs and cheaper headsets still work great.
Old 08-08-2022, 5:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawusmc0844 View Post
No experience with SWATCOMs or Comtac V (yet) but plenty of experience with MSA Sordins and Comtacs II & III. Comtacs are easily superior to Sordins in my experience. I never had a Comtac fail, not even the most beat up military surplus units. It also helps that I have been able to get a few sets for dirt cheap.

I have had a set of Sordins fail more than once, both times I sent to SRS Tactical for repairs. Moisture seeping into the circuit boards and older battery box design were the main culprits. After second repair, they stayed in my gear room until I finally sold them.

I had a few friends, coworkers, and even Military Arms have the same issue. In fact, MAC had a Instagram post where he called them garbage lol. I happen to agree with him, as I had cheaper sets like Peltor 500s, Howard Leights and Opsmen far outlast my Sordins I had. Good thing I also got my old Sordins for a steal, as there is no way I'd pay the typical asking price for them!

Maybe the newer post MSA units are better but Im not going to waste my money to find out, as my Comtacs and cheaper headsets still work great.
Been eyeing the Comtac V's, it's sort of odd as many people rave about the MSA Sordins, but it seems that Comtac's are far superior so I think I am going to end up going with those.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoColt21 View Post
Been eyeing the Comtac V's, it's sort of odd as many people rave about the MSA Sordins, but it seems that Comtac's are far superior so I think I am going to end up going with those.
Good choice, Im also looking to get some Vs myself, as VI and VII are still barely out there therefore too pricey still. Comtac IIIs are still good, and can be found on ebay, Mercari, forums, and some surplus stores for decent prices.

I find it odd myself, as the only advantages the Sordins have over Comtacs IMO is the slimmer cup design, ear cups don't squeeze against each other when not worn (which will eventually mis-shape and flatten out Noisefighters or Swedish made OEM gel cups, the thicker Chinese made gel cups don't have this problem) and the headband doesn't squeeze against my head like the Comtac headband does with a camo cover on. I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem so maybe I got a weirdly shaped head lol.
Old 08-09-2022, 6:04 PM

20 dollar peltor earmuffs over foam ear plugs that come in packs of 20 for 5 dollars preserves your hearing just as well.

Old 08-09-2022, 6:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncage View Post
20 dollar peltor earmuffs over foam ear plugs that come in packs of 20 for 5 dollars preserves your hearing just as well.

To each their own, I wouldn't trust such a cheap set of earmuffs, you get what you pay for in most cases IMO but that's just me
Old 08-09-2022, 7:14 PM

I have the Sordin Supreme Pro X for 10+ years. The rubber/plastic started degrading itself down to the wires few years back. No warranty whatsoever. Just FYI.
I like them but if they need to be fixed, you are SOL.
Old 08-10-2022, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2H View Post
I have the Sordin Supreme Pro X for 10+ years. The rubber/plastic started degrading itself down to the wires few years back. No warranty whatsoever. Just FYI.
I like them but if they need to be fixed, you are SOL.
So aide from that how are they? Do the Comtac V's have a better warranty?
Old 08-10-2022, 7:45 PM

down to the wires..look like **** imo...I tried repairing them but it was a bitch to solder on the boards. Wires so tiny they were breaking. Tossed it in the trash.
They were good with sound though. Shot big calibers with them no issues.
Bought a Safariland Liberator. Time will tell.
US company might at least have some repair center CONUS.

Last edited by H2H; 08-10-2022 at 7:48 PM..
Old 08-11-2022, 12:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2H View Post
down to the wires..look like **** imo...I tried repairing them but it was a bitch to solder on the boards. Wires so tiny they were breaking. Tossed it in the trash.
They were good with sound though. Shot big calibers with them no issues.
Bought a Safariland Liberator. Time will tell.
US company might at least have some repair center CONUS.
Sounds like Peltors Comtac V's it is