Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Solar Tactical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2024, 2:25 PM

Default What's wrong with these guys at Solar Tactical, Castro Valley?

Been there twice and experienced the same thing both times. I don't know anyone there and have never purchased anything or tried to purchase anything so I have no history with them at all. First time I was there about 3 years ago I walked in, patiently waited my turn and they looked right past me and helped someone else who clearly came after me (an African American man). Today I walked in with my Dad. A Latino gentleman looked at us and buzzed us in. Then another Latino man after us. We waited, looking at the guns, talking quietly with each other, and the Latino employee (I'm only mentioning he was Latino so he is not confused with the Asian employee and I don't know their names), so the Latino employee looked right at us and helped the Latino man who clearly had come in after us. When he was done with that customer I politely told him that we were here before that individual and his response was "well I'm here now, what do you need" and just glared at me like "so what, fool". My Dad even said when we walked in that he didn't feel welcomed. The entire time we waited, nobody looked at us, said "we'll be with you shortly, these guys were here first" etc. No courtesy or professionalism whatsoever. Twice now I have been ignored and pased over to assist someone else. They've made me and my Dad feel obviously unwelcome so spend your hard-earned money elsewhere with people who DON'T treat people like sh*+ based on their appearance alone or whatever reason they have for ignoring people. We weren't MAGA guys or loud or obnoxious or anything. My Dad is a Navy veteran and I work in private security so we have nothing but respect and patience everywhere we go, especially in gun stores but these guys don't want our business and probably don't need our business so I will never shop here or recommend them.
Old 02-20-2024, 3:22 PM

My personal experience in the 30 or so shops I have visited is similar in about half. The other half were on the other end of the spectrum towards pro and courteous. There was not much in between.

Some shops have toxic culture.
Old 03-01-2024, 9:49 PM

I would try Elite Armory in Castro Valley. I've done business with their Tracy branch numerous times and they are also helpful and professional. They get a pretty mixed clientele in there too and I did not see any favoritism/discrimination happening there at all.

I have not been to the Castro Valley Elite Armory personally but it is the same ownership group so I would assume it is a similar vibe as the Tracy store.
Old 03-05-2024, 5:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm a huge fan of Solar Tactical in Castro Valley, they have always been very courteous to me and always helpful. I live on the peninsula and I actually prefer to go across the Bay to them as opposed to the shops on the peninsula. Too bad you had a negative experience there, I know it happens, especially in gun shops for some reason.