Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-07-2019, 8:43 AM

does anyone need help with letter? keep it simple!
Old 01-07-2019, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
does anyone need help with letter? keep it simple!
I'm sending out my requests now (they were aware of it prior), and including that the below needs to be included- anything else?

-Date, writer’s name, address and phone number
-Must mention Riverside County Sheriff’s CCW
-Length of time of knowing person
-If you are a current CCW, MIL, LEO, etc
-eg ‘Person acts in good character, honest, reliable, etc’
-eg 'I trust his judgement and character to be a responsible person with a firearm’
Old 01-07-2019, 2:05 PM

How specific do you need to be with your level of expertise answer etc. Should I go back forty years when I started shooting, or keep it current and relevant?

thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 3:14 PM

Keep it simple.
Old 01-07-2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertspirit View Post
How specific do you need to be with your level of expertise answer etc. Should I go back forty years when I started shooting, or keep it current and relevant?

thanks
I was honest. Used the word “moderate”. I said I started at 16 and have been shooting regularly since. Mentioned I go try to go to the range at least monthly and what calibers I have used. I don’t think they are super worried about it unless you put “Call of Duty” or “zero”. They will want current/recent dates though as far as your most recent experience goes. Month/year will suffice.
Old 01-08-2019, 8:25 AM

Many thanks.....
Old 01-08-2019, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertspirit View Post

thanks
I went back to when I was a child, including gun safety courses, etc., but got into more detail about more recent experience. They don't look for volume - just make sure everything is in order and don't misrepresent anything. I spent a couple weeks putting mine together and I'm pretty sure I went overboard. It took the investigator less than ten minutes to review the whole package.

Honestly, from the level of training and experience some at the Ben Clark Center exhibited on the line I doubt you will have anything to worry about. A couple people admitted that the day they qualified was the first time they ever fired a gun, and one guy needed someone to show him how to load rounds into the magazine and then insert the magazine into the gun. Finally a Deputy came over and took him away - we thought he failed - but the Deputy took him to another bay, gave him some pointers and brought him back and he passed.

They have something like a 98% approval rating, so odds are you will be OK.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:21 AM

For those of you who have qualified in Riverside county, how is the scoring done?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalley72 View Post
For those of you who have qualified in Riverside county, how is the scoring done?
18 rounds fired; 6 at 15 yards, 6 at 10, 6 at 7. You shoot at a Sasquatch-size target and only have to hit 70 percent on target. If you are shooting a 5 shot revolver you only shoot a total of 15 rounds. One thing that threw me off is you are shooting a black target into a black background so you can't really see your hits.

Here is a video of the process. The only difference is there will be 10 people doing it at the same time. Don't forget - long pants are mandatory.

Last edited by Barbarosa; 01-08-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Do they require you to have three mags per firearm, or will they allow you to reload?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 AM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post
Do they require you to have three mags per firearm, or will they allow you to reload?
They give you time to reload

$3/EA Custom Gun Bag/Case and Ammo Can ID Tags-
HERE
Old 01-08-2019, 1:34 PM

bring three mags if you have it or make a friend and borrow.. i only had 2 on the line but had time to reload, FYI, if you drop a round, leave it.. DO NOT REACH FOR IT!! It's dangerous for everyone if you reach for a round on ground.. they want you standing and looking forward, NO EXCEPTIONS!!

yes, i a dropped a round and got yelled at for picking it up..
Old 01-08-2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
bring three mags if you have it or make a friend and borrow.. i only had 2 on the line but had time to reload, FYI, if you drop a round, leave it.. DO NOT REACH FOR IT!! It's dangerous for everyone if you reach for a round on ground.. they want you standing and looking forward, NO EXCEPTIONS!!

yes, i a dropped a round and got yelled at for picking it up..
Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamduh View Post
Lol

Me too I also forgot my magazines , called wife at lunch and she brought them , had plenty of time to shoot .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2019, 3:23 PM

I dropped my magazine and they stopped everyone on the kine for me to pick it up......yea i was that guy

Old 01-08-2019, 6:28 PM

Sorry for the dumb question. I have my interview this Friday. In regards, to the two photos. I do not have a passport. Reading, I see I can go to walgreens. Is there a particular size I get there? Or do I ask for passport photo's?
Old 01-08-2019, 6:29 PM
This space for rent!
CGN Contributor

I had my renewal appointment today at 2:30 (emailed on. November 7th and took my class at FTA on December 7th).
Got there at 2:20, called back at 2:26 done and walking back to my truck at 2:42.

Could not have been easier! We went through all my paperwork (it was perfect I might add ) and BS'd for a bit. As he's closing my file he said "your permit expires on the 22nd I have 1 last question.....do you want to come pick it up or do you want me to mail it?"

So, I guess there is no issue with renewals. I'm interested to see what level of GC is needed with new permits.

NRA life member since 1997
CRPA member
Old 01-08-2019, 6:31 PM
This space for rent!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
Sorry for the dumb question. I have my interview this Friday. In regards, to the two photos. I do not have a passport. Reading, I see I can go to walgreens. Is there a particular size I get there? Or do I ask for passport photo's?
Yes - passport photos are the same everywhere and are the same size. I didn't know Walgreens did them though. I went to a UPS store close to my house.

Good luck Friday!

CRPA member
Old 01-08-2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimvh2 View Post
I had my renewal appointment today at 2:30 (emailed on. November 7th and took my class at FTA on December 7th).

Got there at 2:20, called back at 2:26 done and walking back to my truck at 2:42.

Could not have been easier! We went through all my paperwork (it was perfect I might add ) and BS'd for a bit. As he's closing my file he said "your permit expires on the 22nd I have 1 last question.....do you want to come pick it up or do you want me to mail it?"

So, I guess there is no issue with renewals. I'm interested to see what level of GC is needed with new permits.

Was there an extra charge to mail it?

Old 01-08-2019, 6:38 PM

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but are they letting us add a firearm to our CCW ? Or does anyone know if they plan to in the future with a new sheriff and not as backlog . Thanks

Old 01-08-2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post

Just ask for passport photos. It’s a basic head and shoulders shot. FedEx-kinkos, ups store, Walgreens, CVS almost anyone does them these days. Btw, if you applied for a passport you would need to get 2 pictures too!

Old 01-08-2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.fitch.77 View Post
Not sure if this has been asked yet, but are they letting us add a firearm to our CCW ? Or does anyone know if they plan to in the future with a new sheriff and not as backlog . Thanks

Can’t speak to the addition. You’ll need to qualify with it. I wish I did more than my compacts.

Old 01-08-2019, 6:41 PM

I don’t mind qualifying for adding a new firearm on my CCW, last I heard they were not letting people add on because of the backlog.

Old 01-08-2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamduh View Post
I dropped my magazine and they stopped everyone on the kine for me to pick it up......yea i was that guy

Lol speed loader you are not timed!!! Could have been the lady who didn’t know how to open her revolver!

Old 01-08-2019, 6:55 PM

Thanks guys, I will get the photo's taken care of tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpro4u View Post
Lol speed loader you are not timed!!! Could have been the lady who didn’t know how to open her revolver!

Lol i was at the last station last mag and just dropped it as i was pulling it outnof the mag holster

Old 01-09-2019, 11:29 AM
This space for rent!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpro4u View Post
Was there an extra charge to mail it?

I don’t think so.

I chose to pick it up so I can make sure everything is correct. I changed a couple of guns and want to make sure the serial #’s are correct.

CRPA member
Old 01-10-2019, 11:52 AM

I have GC drafted up and is asking anyone whom can help with reviewing my GC before submitting to Riverside CCW unit. Let me know and I will send you private messages.

You won’t get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. There’s only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up, and if you don’t actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time… It’s a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience.”

President Reagan
Old 01-10-2019, 3:50 PM

New to Riverside Co. so I have a lot of questions. Just moved to Corona, right on the Riverside City border.. Is it worth applying? And if so, should I go with Corona PD or straight to the County? Any advice is appreciated!

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 01-10-2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cable Guy View Post
New to Riverside Co. so I have a lot of questions. Just moved to Corona, right on the Riverside City border.. Is it worth applying? And if so, should I go with Corona PD or straight to the County? Any advice is appreciated!
Take some time and read through the posts in this thread. Many if not all your questions can be answered by posts of others who have already been down the CCW path.
Old 01-10-2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Definitely worth applying. The county approves something like 98% of those who applied. With the current short backlog I'd go through the county and save some money.
Old 01-10-2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Right now you can get an appointment about 6 weeks out. As word spreads I fear the wait may go back up to months. And according to the sheriffs that ran the Ben Clark course last week, the old management under Sniff is reluctant to cooperate with the new team under Bianco... they estimated everything may slow down for a week or so. Get in now!

I had my interview 1/4, class 1/5, Live Scan submits tomorrow... here's hoping I can set a new record for under 3 weeks flat.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 AM

Would an apex tactical duty/carry trigger be ok for ccw here in riverside?
Old 01-11-2019, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamj View Post
You may get varying responses here but the only way to find out is to ask the Range Master. They do a cursory inspection but would likely notice the Apex. Whether or not they would approve I don't know, but in the training portion of the class they state no trigger mods.

From the application instructions:

Absolutely no modifications shall be made to any weapon, without the approval, and subsequent inspection, of the range master staff located at the Ben Clark Training Center. Scopes of any type are not permitted.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamj View Post
Per Cpl. Coin of the Sheriffs Dept, you can change the trigger. But be very wary of changing it to a competition style trigger with under 5lbs of pull. It can and likely will be looked at if your gun is used in defense. And if you end up having a Negligent Discharge cause you installed a super light trigger? Yeah you’ll be in trouble.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Hello everyone out there, any one who familial with GC statement for Riverside County. I have a GC in draft version and is asking out there to review and make some suggestions to my GC statement.

Let me know and I will PM

You won’t get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. There’s only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up, and if you don’t actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time… It’s a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience.”

President Reagan
Old 01-11-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demento19 View Post
Per Cpl. Coin of the Sheriffs Dept, you can change the trigger. But be very wary of changing it to a competition style trigger with under 5lbs of pull. It can and likely will be looked at if your gun is used in defense. And if you end up having a Negligent Discharge cause you installed a super light trigger? Yeah you’ll be in trouble.

In my CCW class We were told that any modifications from stock could lead to worse problems if you ever need to use the firearm to protect yourself. Imagine the lawyer of the person you shot painting you into a corner that your mindset was to quickly kill his client by modifying the trigger to half the sensitivity of a stock gun. Then a jury of California anti-gun morons believing it and convicting you.

Old 01-11-2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargearse View Post
Hello everyone out there, any one who familial with GC statement for Riverside County. I have a GC in draft version and is asking out there to review and make some suggestions to my GC statement.

Let me know and I will PM
Didn't the new sheriff say that personal protection would be accepted or was that just campaigning?
Old 01-11-2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjv View Post
Didn't the new sheriff say that personal protection would be accepted or was that just campaigning?

Yes correct but he’s in for the last few days changing top brass, personnel issues at Riverside Sheriff department. Changing CCW policy may not be of importance at this time now and hopefully will come around as soon as possible

I want to submit application ASAP

President Reagan
Old 01-11-2019, 2:05 PM

Because inquiring minds want to know! Seems that the RSO CCW unit is going through some growing pains. Recently I emailed the unit to setup a renewal appointment, their response was someone will call you to set it up

This has never happened in the past, the Deputies at the CCW unit have been awesome but I believe our new Sheriff is making changes to the unit with new personnel. The new Deputy was polite and professional but clearly has not been in that unit for very long (my impression).

I suspect the new sheriff believes the Deputies that are moving on are/were tied to Sheriff Sniff and this may be the reason for the changes, again this is my opinion for better or worst.

Personally I've never had an issue with Sniff or his CCW unit staff, though I wish Sniff would've allowed mere "Self Defense" as GC long ago.

I wish nothing but the best to our new Sheriff, Chad Bianco and his department. I'm confident things will work out better for the future. Time will tell.

Jake