Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-09-2019, 3:00 AM

Default NEW/RECENT CCW Applicant - ALAMEDA County

Hey guys,

I have been considering a CCW for the last couple of years, but never pursued it. I feel times are such, where it's better to have it than not.

I was wondering if there's anyone on Calguns who is a new applicant or recently got their CCW, who can guide me with the process, or do it together so we can both get our CCWs same time.

Any Help would be very Appreciated!!!
Old 01-09-2019, 5:41 AM
Veteran Member

Wishing you all the best, no idea on the process up there.
Old 01-09-2019, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Step one for Alameda county, should be to move to San Joaquin county. Alameda like SF and LA is pretty much no issue. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2019, 8:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Step one for Alameda county, should be to move to San Joaquin county. Alameda like SF and LA is pretty much no issue. Good luck.
I have met a couple people who have somehow gotten one in Alameda County. They both have lots of money and I have a feeling campaign donations (or similar) may have been involved (my gut feeling only and I have nothing to back that up).

Even those that did get one can only have 2 guns on their permit and I have heard the range qual is fairly difficult, especially with a short barreled gun.

However, I strongly agree with you. The best solution is to move out of Alameda County!

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 01-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40Cal View Post
I have been considering a CCW for the last couple of years, but never pursued it. I feel times are such, where it's better to have it than not.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I'm sure many folk in Sonoma and Napa counties, when they had to quickly remove all their valuables out of their houses and flee because of the fires, wished they had a CCW to protect themselves and those valuables when staying at hotels/motels/whatever for weeks or months on end. Same thing will apply with earthquakes or if another Rodney King riots take place -- you don't want to end up like Reginald Denny....

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40Cal View Post
I was wondering if there's anyone on Calguns who is a new applicant or recently got their CCW, who can guide me with the process, or do it together so we can both get our CCWs same time.
Best place to ask is in the Alameda Co CCW Info thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352738

The OP, like most of those old threads' OPs, is out of date. Read the last few pages of posts to get an idea of what its like. Ala has info online at:
https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php

They've switched to an online app process too. Looks like it costs $115 to find out if your GC passes. I assume you'll have to get your LiveScan done first and that it is a separate cost.
https://alamedaca.permitium.com/ccw/start

Be sure to read over the first 3 posts re. applying in CoCoCo -- most of it will apply to Ala Co: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Easier moves would be to CoCoCo ("yellow") or Solano Co (light green). Ala Co does regularly issue CCWs, but they've just got a really strict GC standard. Note the "and" (versus "or") in the following from their website:

Quote:
In order to request a CCW license, applicants must satisfy all of the requirements of the Policy, including demonstrating that they have "good cause" and are of "good moral character." There is no one specific "good cause" for issuance of a license, as each applicant's justification is different. Applicants must show evidence that (1) there is a documented, presently existing, clear and present danger to life, or great bodily harm to the applicant and/or his or her spouse, domestic partner, or dependents, (2) the danger of harm is specific to the applicant, or his or her immediate family, and is not generally shared by other similarly situated members of the public, (3) existing law enforcement resources cannot adequately address the danger of harm, (4) the danger of harm cannot reasonably be avoided by alternative measures, and (5) licensing the applicant to carry a concealed weapon is likely to significantly reduce the danger of harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whites of Their Eyes View Post
However, I strongly agree with you. The best solution is to move out of Alameda County!
My *guess* is we'll win "carry" of some sort before Sept 2020. If the OP doesn't really want to move, just carry pepper spray and follow the 4-S Rule (avoid Stupid people, don't go to Stupid places, don't do Stupid things, and don't be out at Stupid times).

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 01-09-2019 at 1:05 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Ala Co does regularly issue CCWs, but they've just got a really strict GC standard.
Sounds to me like Ala should be Light Red vice Dark Red based on that statement. Unlike some other red counties (SF, LA), they do actually issue.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 01-09-2019, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Sounds to me like Ala should be Light Red vice Dark Red based on that statement. Unlike some other red counties (SF, LA), they do actually issue.
I fixed the quote I from the SO website.

I would agree if that word was an "or."

While there's a spectrum of colors (dark red to dark green), there's even a spectrum within a single color (Solano is on the dark green side of light green whereas Napa Co is on the yellow side of light green).

Ala Co SO is on the light red side of dark red (very restrictive GC policy that they do issue by), whereas SF and LA are on the opposite side of dark red (very restrictive GC policy but even then they don't regularly issue to people who meet that standard).

If you want to discuss more, just PM me.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 PM

Ill be submitting mine shortly. Id like to know:

1) Does my license need my current address? Website says yes, upload area says no.

2) Whats the qualifying target like?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 AM

Drivers license, that is.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Here's my recommendation:
1) Call to speak to Judy (the admin of the department handling CCWs)
2) Provide her your GC over the phone. She'll basically tell you if it's has a chance of passing or not. While she isn't the actual authorizing person realize like when you work in corporate with a CEO she is the gatekeeper (good or bad)
3) I know of at least 3 people that aren't $$$ donators that have received Alameda County CCWs. Unfortunately, all 3 were work related.

Of the 3 work related:
1) was victim of a violent crime and owns his own small business
2) had documented threats against him at his place of work
3) of all things was a webmaster of his own business and deposited large amounts of cash/checks

So take that for what its worth depending what you were planning to use for good cause.

Also, processing time from start to finish is anywhere from 12-24 months in Alameda County.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
G+: http://google.com/+UGImportsLLCFremont / FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
NorCal Range Maps: http://ugimports.com/rangemaps

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!