Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:55 PM

Default Fire box/safe inside a larger fire safe

Would it stand to reason that you can increase fire protection by putting valuables/documents in a fireproof box/safe and then placing that within a larger fire rated safe? Strangely, I can’t find anything online to either confirm or dispel that theory.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

I picked up some fireproof pouches on amazon. I put important documents inside and placed the it on a shelf towards the middle of the safe. Hope to never find out if it keeps the documents from turning into ash.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:55 AM

I would assume it would help
Old 01-05-2019, 8:10 AM

About the only thing any of those are good for is a small room and contents fire.

I don’t even waste my time with anything “fire proof.”
Old 01-06-2019, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

My understanding is that it works and it's common practice for things that are particularly heat...or water...sensitive like computer hard drives, paper documents and such. I have no idea, however, what the temperature limits are and why type of interior safe you would need. Strange you can't find any info on it.

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-06-2019, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

If you google "media safe" you'll get some examples and information. Here is one small safe that looks like it would be small enough to put into a larger safe. And there is info there on the temperature that media and paper gets damaged.

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/co...a-vault-mv1000

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Surround your safe with 3 layers of 5/8” Sheetrock

For more protection, drape wool blankets aver the top and sides
Stack 5 gallon water containers on top

In a fire water soaks wool. The wet blankets help- the 3 layers of sheet rock help
The safe helps.

But to answer your question - with a question- why not buy a used commercial safe with the fire rating you need?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a7dQXilCo
“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 01-07-2019, 4:58 AM
VETERAN
CGN Contributor

Seems logical to me.
Old 01-07-2019, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Intense heat, steam, possibly tons of water by fire department and more steam, then condensation.
I don't believe a simple cheap "fireproof" box inside a simple "fireproof" safe dramatically increases protection for anything inside.

If the items in your safe are inside a vacuum sealed bag wrapped with tinfoil and wrapped with insulation, I suspect they'd be "fireproof" as best as reasonably possible.
Old 01-07-2019, 9:28 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

https://azlibertysafe.com/accessory-...-15-pg-62.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Dignity, Respect, Purpose - Live It!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:30 PM

It will help but not by much. Very little in fact.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 01-08-2019, 2:42 PM

Yes. You can add the ratings together as a minimum rating.
The UL Class 350 1-hour fire rating means that the internal temperature of the safe will not exceed 350°F for at least 1 hour when exposed to external temperatures over 1700°F.
When the internal temperature of the outer safe reaches 1700 degrees, the internal safe will still protect the items for it's rated time from then on.
Old 01-08-2019, 3:21 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

We are doing this in hopes it will protect important papers better. It's one of those SentrySafe media file containers.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 01-08-2019, 3:33 PM

I have been doing that for years. I have a fire rated Amsec safe with a simple keyed fire box inside it. The fire safe says something about not exceeding 250 degrees or whatever inside during the rated temp/time. But that will damage paper and such. So inside another fire box that has the same/similar rating should, in theory, keep its contents more protected.

Not any different than adding more insulation/protection to the entire safe. Here it is just limited to a smaller area inside.

However, once the fire temp/time exceeds the safe's rating and things inside catch fire, the fire box is only as good as it would be sitting outside the safe by itself (maybe even less if the fire in the safe exceeds the main fire's temp due to flame dynamics).
Old 01-10-2019, 10:05 PM

An interior fire box for paper will help, one made for media will help even more. I store my emergency water supply above my safe also. One more trick, which is untested, (but why not try it) is to put my paintball CO2 tanks on the top shelf of the safe. if the temp inside gets high enough, the pressure relief valve will release which has 3 potential benefits.

1. The liquid CO2 comes out and becomes very cold CO2 gas and will dramatically reduce the temperature inside the safe.

2. The expanding gas will force hot air and some smoke, if it exists, out of the safe.

3. The CO2 will displace oxygen and make it harder for things inside to burn or oxidize.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.