Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:12 AM

Default DOJ to reopen BB rifle registration Jan 2022

Pursuant to Court Order, California Department of Justice Announces Reopening of the Bullet Button Assault Weapons Registration Period
Old 09-10-2021, 11:42 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
SACRAMENTO – In compliance with a federal court order, the California Department of Justice (DOJ) today announced that the period to register eligible assault weapons will reopen at 9 a.m. PST on January 13, 2022, and close at 9 a.m. PST on April 12, 2022. The timeframe to register these firearms originally ended on July 1, 2018. However, DOJ is reopening the registration window to comply with a federal judge’s order in March that requires the Department to accept applications from individuals who were unable to register their firearms during the original period due to technical issues with the registration website.
Let's see, March to September, a mere 6 months.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Excellent for some. N[Not for me I registered 8 80% ar pistols and rifles and 2 1911s. But not as AWS
Old 09-10-2021, 11:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It sounds like this would open AW Registration in general however. Not just BB conversions. If that's the case, wouldn't it make more since to just go straight AW and be done with it? Maybe it's time to buy that MG-42 I've been holding out on...
Old 09-10-2021, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

I doubt they will be willing to drop the BB requirement unless the courts order it, which they will not

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 09-10-2021, 5:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Alrighty lets see how this applies to me
Old 09-10-2021, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful_Cub View Post
It sounds like this would open AW Registration in general however. Not just BB conversions. If that's the case, wouldn't it make more since to just go straight AW and be done with it? Maybe it's time to buy that MG-42 I've been holding out on...
No! This registration is only for people that tried during the original
period and were not able to successfully register. Taking a recent purchase, turning it into an AW, and then trying to register it is self incrimination.
Old 09-10-2021, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Hard pass just like all the other times. No thanks. Featureless still best option. They are simply trolling because hardly anyone registered before. For.. a .. reason. For those that entered and missed the window, good for you. You will be able to sell it some day.
Old 09-10-2021, 7:37 PM
CGN Contributor

Wow I was envisioning a bunch of 10-12 year olds lining up with their Daisy's.
Old 09-10-2021, 7:59 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

"the period to register eligible assault weapons will reopen at 9 a.m. PST on January 13, 2022, and close at 9 a.m. PST on April 12, 2022."

So this is a three month / 90 day window?
Half of January
February
March
Half of April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 09-11-2021, 7:34 AM

Not my Daisy's

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 09-11-2021, 7:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When I was still in California I had one weapon, a Saiga-12 that I was trying to do the right thing and get it registered. Took all the pictures etc etc etc, waited waited, finally would look on the site and there would be a "you need to fix this" and resend pictures.

So I did, then they would come back and say "please check the box" which I had already done. This went on for over a year. Telling me to redo something that had already been done. The only redo that seemed valid was they wanted a "better" picture of the BB.

Finally gave up since we ended up moving and the first thing I did was remove that stupid BB. I hope everyone else has had better luck with the process. God love Arizona!
Old 09-11-2021, 10:18 AM

This is all waste of time and done similarly to the 2000 AW registration , which lets the Ca DOJ know what you have.
Old 09-11-2021, 2:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBSTONE View Post
This is all waste of time and done similarly to the 2000 AW registration , which lets the Ca DOJ know what you have.
They already know what you have from the 4773s they aren't allowed to keep

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Old 09-11-2021, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
They (CA DOJ) think that I have 9 BBRAWs. But, in reality, I do not have any, because none of my ARs have bullet buttons.
Old 09-11-2021, 5:30 PM

Could I reg the AR pistol I couldn’t get thru? Broke it down and now it’s just a receiver, but might be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2021, 6:17 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
Hard pass just like all the other times. No thanks. Featureless still best option. They are simply trolling because hardly anyone registered before. For.. a .. reason. For those that entered and missed the window, good for you. You will be able to sell it some day.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 09-12-2021, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

They are going to use this to start arresting people. Try to "do the right thing," tell on yourself, go to jail.
Old 09-18-2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
On the 4473 the AW"S are registered as long rifles prior to 2008...
Old 09-18-2021, 6:19 PM

Makes me remember, I did not register my preban 1970's era Colt SP1 until the "Grace Period" was created by Feinstein. Three years after I registered I got a letter from the DOJ stating the new Attorney General nullified the "grace period" and I was given 30 days to surrender my rifle to the DOJ or remove it from the state.

I miss that rifle, I sold it at a Reno gun show. I never trusted Feinstein, after that I didn't trust DOJ or the AG either.
Old 09-18-2021, 6:32 PM

So after watching all the people that “that did not submit paperwork/pictures wrong to get a knock on the door/raided I would want to sign up for this???? Sold my guns that could be in question even though they were 100% compliment . Gestapo raids **** that why put yourself on their list
Old 09-18-2021, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
For the record, I would not BBAW any of those either.

Old 09-19-2021, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Make more "since"? yeah.....

This is for people who can affirm under penalty of perjury that they tried, but were unable due to technical problems with the website, to register their bullet button-equipped firearms 2017-2018.

Your post doesn't make any "since".....geez.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 09-19-2021, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
Trolling? They were sued and agreed to settle because they would lose the lawsuit. They are being forced to do this.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 09-19-2021, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
They are going to use this to start arresting people. Try to "do the right thing," tell on yourself, go to jail.
They are doing this because they were FORCED to as part of the settlement they agreed to (in order to avoid LOSING and paying substantial legal fees and having other penalties) as part of a settlement in a case in which the DOJ was sued due to their horrible website which crashed and had other problems thereby prohibiting people from registering. They've had an AW registry for over two decades. Not going door to door yet. But sure...i'm sure you're right this time....they're going to arrest everyone who registers,

Old 09-19-2021, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Huh?

Old 09-21-2021, 7:05 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Quote:
No! This registration is only for people that tried during the original period and were not able to successfully register. Taking a recent purchase, turning it into an AW, and then trying to register it is self incrimination.
What kcheung2 said.

This registration window is only for people who owned/possessed BBAW from 01-01-2001 to 12-31-2016 and were unable to complete their registration process for those BBAW before 07-01-2018.

DO NOT attempt to register a make/model banned assault weapon.

DO NOT attempt to register a firearm that you did not own before 2017.

DO NOT attempt to register a semi-auto firearm that does not have a "bullet button" style magazine release and restricted features.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 09-21-2021 at 7:08 AM..
Old 09-27-2021, 11:06 PM

Glad I went featureless!
Old 09-28-2021, 12:27 AM

I'll post this as a reminder for people who may not remember https://youtu.be/vrn7ZsBgcwQ
Old 09-28-2021, 11:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FTDOJ and all their registration scams.

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/
Old 09-30-2021, 12:17 AM

WHOEVER does this is a DUMBAZZ....go featureless or just get a danmed hexmag or something.

Stop whining and giving up your info on what you own...... you deserve what you get.

'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

"They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

[SIGPIC]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic27069_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 09-30-2021, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledReaper View Post
WHOEVER does this is a DUMBAZZ....go featureless or just get a danmed hexmag or something.

Stop whining and giving up your info on what you own...... you deserve what you get.
Um...I guess you haven't bought a handgun in CA since 1993 or a long gun since 2014 since you seem so abhorred by the idea of the government having your info and knowing what you have. I guess you don't have a CCW, either. Too bad.

Old 10-02-2021, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyous68 View Post
Glad I went featureless!
Can't make a AR/AK Pistol Featureless.

Unless you turn it into a Rifle, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of it being a PISTOL.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74HgbjSCLM
Old 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper3142 View Post
Can't make a AR/AK Pistol Featureless.

Unless you turn it into a Rifle, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of it being a PISTOL.
....and also precludes its ability to legally return to pistol status due to CA SBR laws.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 10-06-2021, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Look at all the hoops Quiet posted.

Do you think even 50% of those who attempt to register will be in compliance with the actual requirements to register? I don't. I think this will turn out to be one of the most successful "gun busts" in CA DOJ history.
Old 10-16-2021, 7:35 AM

Telling an oppressive, corrupt, and neo-socialist California government exactly what weapons you have, in detail, with photographs, might be the dumbest thing you can possibly do. They're talking about putting unvaxxed in camps. What do you think they're going to do to scary, orange-man AR owners in a few years? Wake up and smell the tyranny. We no longer have any safety in numbers.

Last edited by chihuahua69; 10-16-2021 at 7:38 AM..
Old 10-16-2021, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

Gee Whiz guys, I just put in a CMMG 22lr bolt carrier and 22 lr Black Dog mag and forgot about all of this Bool Snit. Then 21 June 2021 I went auf weidersehn and moved OUTA kaw lee pforn yuh. Oh yes, its back to Real AR status now. Maybe I can sell the CMMG Kit to someone in Cali just maybe.

Psalm 1
Old 10-18-2021, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
Look at all the hoops Quiet posted.

Do you think even 50% of those who attempt to register will be in compliance with the actual requirements to register? I don't. I think this will turn out to be one of the most successful "gun busts" in CA DOJ history.
It won't be.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:10 PM

Are non-bullet button (ie, standard magazine release) lower receivers that were purchased before 2017, and were attempted but failed to be registered due to the CADOJ's website problems, also eligible to be registered during this new 3-month window starting 1/13/2022?

Or is it only pre-2017 ARs with bullet buttons installed?

I keep reading references to the "BBAW" registration, but unless I'm missing it, nothing in the DOJ's website states that the "AW" must have a bullet button. Only that it must have been owned prior to 2017, qualifies as an AW according to DOJ's definition, and had been attempted (but failed, due to DOJ's technical web problems) to be registered prior to the 7/1/2018 deadline.

So, what prevents non BB rifles legally purchased prior to 2017 and meeting the other attempted-registration requirements from also now being registered?

Thanks for any clarity on this.

Last edited by papa zulu; 01-12-2022 at 11:01 PM..
Old 01-12-2022, 10:17 PM
Banned

California assault weapon owners face registration deadline