Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-19-2019, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
A CCW here is a "unicorn".
Yup, I spoke w/a Calgunner who got a CCW middle of last year. I applied earlier and just got a nice letter in the mail today. No soup for you!

Well, that pissed away over $100. Oh well. I tried.

For those of you playing along at home, here's a readers digest version:
Application mailed in the first week of April.
I got the letter back on 4/6 for the Live Scan.
Live Scan on 4/18.
The interview was 6/5.
I just got my denial letter today, 7/19 or about 3 months from the date of the Live Scan.

If you want a CCW, I DO suggest you try. They ARE approving them, just not to too many people. You'll never know until you do.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-19-2019, 8:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Yup, I spoke w/a Calgunner who got a CCW middle of last year. ...

If you want a CCW, I DO suggest you try. They ARE approving them, just not to too many people. You'll never know until you do.
Yeah, think of all the fast food franchise owners/managers in all of CoCoCo, of all the sandwich shop owners/managers, of all the little shop owners, restaurant owners/managers, gas station owners/managers, jewelry shop owners/managers, the list goes on and on of people who's jobs require them to make regular deposits in cash, often after dark/business hours. Add to that all of the female RE agents and women (and some men) who've got restraining orders against crazy exs who've tried attacking them.... There are TONS of people in CoCoCo would have a solid chance of getting a CCW if they applied.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-16-2019 at 8:15 AM..
Old 07-20-2019, 7:05 AM

I applied, got turned down, and kept all the paperwork. If someone ever starts a class action against this County on 2A rights, I'll be one of the class plaintiffs.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 10-04-2019, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Yeah, think of all the fast food franchise owners/managers in all of CoCoCo, of all the sandwich shop owners/managers, of all the little shop owners, restaurant owners/managers, gas station owners/managers, jewelry shop owners/managers, the list goes on and on of people who's jobs require them to make regular deposits in cash, often after dark/business hours. Add to that all of the female RE agents and women (and some men) who've got restraining orders against crazy exs who've tried attacking them.... There are TONS of people in CoCoCo would have a solid chance of getting a CCW if they applied.
This hit the news just recently. Listen to her screams. Just horrifying.

https://www.kron4.com/news/californi...at-open-house/

"A terrifying attack caught on camera.

A realtor who asked not to be shown on camera was showing a home in Encino on Sunday when she was attacked and her leg battered.

“I think he would’ve raped me, that’s number one, and he would have killed me,” the realtor said.

The realtor said his name was Tom and she got a funny feeling before the attack and move their conversation to the porch, hoping he would leave, but he kept asking questions.

“He said well can I show you the closet? I said no I’m gonna stand out here. So he said can I have water? I said the fridge is right there in the kitchen, you can walk, open the fridge. And he said can I use the bathroom? I said no the owner doesn’t allow anyone to use the bathroom,” she said.

You can hear them talk on the porch and then the man even looks at the camera twice and takes off his hat.

You can clearly see the man’s bald head and face.

The realtor says when he pushed her, he grabbed her chest and she thought he was trying to grab her necklace, but then he took off.

She thinks screaming saved her life.

“I said no matter what I’m just gonna keep screaming until I get help.”

This isn’t the first time she’s seen this man.

She says this guy came to her open house on a bike last week and her gut told her something was strange.

That’s why this weekend she had a friend stay with her at the open house on Sunday for most of the day, but when her friend left, she says Tom showed up.

“I was so lucky, I had a feeling from day one that this person gonna hurt me.”

The realtor says she thinks her attacker may have had a partner.

She saw another man walk by before the attack whom she recognized from the open house the previous week.

Police are investigating but so far they haven’t arrested anyone."

Be safe all.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-24-2019, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Went out Friday night to a nice Italian dinner in downtown Concord. Crazies driving from the time we left the house! All down Willow Pass Road too. Almost turned around and went home. By the time we left, there were at least 3-4 squad cars on the street in front of the restaurant. As we walked to our car, we saw several others. Quite a few police out in the streets actively looking for somebody. On the way back home we saw about another 10 or so police cars parked right by the Wells Fargo with a couple of guys in cuffs sitting on the curb.

Sure, no need for a CCW here in this wonderfully safe community. Ugh.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 12-05-2019, 4:31 PM

For anyone considering applying for a CCW in Contra Costa, I obtained some updated information from public records.

In Contra Costa, for 2019, there are currently 360 active CCW carriers (excluding judges, peace officers). So since Paladin’s post in 2018, a total of 23 new CCW applicants have been approved.

In 2018, a total of 72 applicants were denied a CCW permit.

In 2019, a total of 56 applicants were denied.

Therefore, of the 151 people that applied, and 15% of the CCW applicants were approved.

Contra Costa has a population of approximately 1 million.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine312 View Post
For anyone considering applying for a CCW in Contra Costa, I obtained some updated information from public records.

In Contra Costa, for 2019, there are currently 360 active CCW carriers (excluding judges, peace officers). So since Paladin’s post in 2018, a total of 23 new CCW applicants have been approved.

In 2018, a total of 72 applicants were denied a CCW permit.

In 2019, a total of 56 applicants were denied.

Therefore, of the 151 people that applied, and 15% of the CCW applicants were approved.

Contra Costa has a population of approximately 1 million.
This is an absolute travesty and violation of the Bill of Rights and our freedom. As one who applied and was denied based on nothing other than I apparently didn't demonstrate sufficient "need" as decreed by the Sheriff's Dept., I join with others whose Constitutional right has been summarily denied with no realistic appeals whatever.

Until a class action is brought somewhere (and if here, I'll join in the class, because I've kept all my documentation), and fought all the way through the appellate process, we citizens are being abused.

Keep an eye on the NYC case now before SCOTUS, although it has nothing to do with carry permits.

We should not even have to apply for a right to carry.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 12-06-2019, 12:29 PM

Keep trying
Old 12-07-2019, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This is an absolute travesty and violation of the Bill of Rights and our freedom. As one who applied and was denied based on nothing other than I apparently didn't demonstrate sufficient "need" as decreed by the Sheriff's Dept., I join with others whose Constitutional right has been summarily denied with no realistic appeals whatever.

Until a class action is brought somewhere (and if here, I'll join in the class, because I've kept all my documentation), and fought all the way through the appellate process, we citizens are being abused.

Keep an eye on the NYC case now before SCOTUS, although it has nothing to do with carry permits.

^^^Yup. I don't know how many others have applied or how recently, but I applied earlier this year and got turned down. I was hoping that maybe, just perhaps the Sheriff was starting to loosen up just a hair.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 12-07-2019, 9:09 PM

I got denied too, in 2011. When I moved to El Dorado, it took 11 months, but I was approved and used self defense as good cause.
If you can't move that far, maybe consider Solano county. Benecia, Cordelia, Fairfield, susuin. All right there and they issue. If you own, it's tough, if you rent..... Make it happen.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:

Yes, I saw the denials in this thread, which prompted me to ask Public Records for “good cause” statements only, no names or other private information (and was denied - person I was eventually referred to cited Gov. Code §6255, that me knowing violated public safety). I was forced to amend my request for the latter information in my previous post.

I think it should be completely transparent what qualifies an applicant for ‘Good Cause’ prior to paying the $129 application fee, to ensure the public knows there is no corruption in the CCW issuing process.

Paladin referred me to a court case, CBS, Inc. v. Block - https://scocal.stanford.edu/opinion/...-v-block-28477 that may help release ‘Good Cause’ statements specifically, but I need time to review it. However, if anyone wants to inquire as well, I started my inquiries by emailing the CCW coordinator at bottom of the page at http://www.cocosheriff.org/howdoi/ccw_permit.htm and was referred to public records, who were both very courteous to me.

Perhaps if more people inquire, we’ll be more knowledgeable in what precisely entails ‘Good Cause’ and get more CCWs out there. It doesn’t cost anything, and it was all done through emails.

Peace
Old 01-06-2020, 4:19 PM

Wanted to share this, a Baypoint shooting happened about two weeks ago, and is covered in the Active Self Protection youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/B91Qh1FcI9U

Due to not having a CCW permit, and not having a firearm on his person, the encounter nearly cost the clerk his life.

Last edited by peregrine312; 01-06-2020 at 4:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling, grammar
Old 01-06-2020, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Sweet I sent that to him. But I’m sure I’m not the only one.
Old 01-06-2020, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Wanted to share this, a Baypoint shooting happened about two weeks ago, and is covered in the Active Self Protection youtube channel.

Due to not having a CCW permit, and not having a firearm on his person, the encounter nearly cost the clerk his life.
In 100% agreement!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-06-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
Sent what to who?
Old 01-07-2020, 4:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
Sent what to who?

I think he meant that he sent the video/news article to John at ASP.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-07-2020, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Nice! People in the area need to remember Pittsburg/Baypoint/Antioch is not the safest place to live, despite how much nicer some areas look due to renovation.
Old 01-19-2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:

A CCW isn't required for someone to carry concealed in a private business.

If he was the owner, he didn't need to do anything to CC. If he was an employee, he only needed the owner's permission.

Semper Fi!

Old 01-19-2020, 8:46 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
A CCW isn't required for someone to carry concealed in a private business.

If he was the owner, he didn't need to do anything to CC. If he was an employee, he only needed the owner's permission.
That needs some refinement.

See the wiki article, http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...oncealed_Carry

Employees without CCW may have access to a firearm, with the business owner's permission. They may not carry in any publically-accessible part of the business.

For some gun stores, it seems that some local PD allow different behavior from what is strictly legal.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-25-2020, 4:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
That needs some refinement.

See the wiki article, http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...oncealed_Carry

Employees without CCW may have access to a firearm, with the business owner's permission. They may not carry in any publically-accessible part of the business.

For some gun stores, it seems that some local PD allow different behavior from what is strictly legal.

Beg to differ with you there. What needs refinement is CoCo County’s CCW policy of practically no-issue!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-01-2020, 8:35 AM

What a shame. Look at all the increased home invasions at least in my frequent areas over the last 2+ years.

I wish the Sheriff had the courage to step up.
Old 04-01-2020, 9:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casoobaru View Post
What a shame. Look at all the increased home invasions at least in my frequent areas over the last 2+ years.

I wish the Sheriff had the courage to step up.
They'll tell you you don't need a CCW to carry inside your home. Of course, that's of no help if you come home unarmed to a burglary in progress.

If you want to see if you have a solid chance of getting issued in CoCoCo, read my posts in: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

Last edited by Paladin; 04-01-2020 at 9:36 AM..
Old 04-14-2020, 6:38 PM

Old 04-30-2020, 5:07 PM

There was a home invasion around the block from me earlier this week, in the middle of the afternoon. Luckily they ran and nobody got hurt. But criminals are getting bolder now that the police are not making stops or responding to most calls. I've started carrying at home, I never felt the need to before this month. The pandemic really made clear that when the chips are down, the only person you can rely on for your family's safety is yourself.
Old 04-30-2020, 7:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sppotlight View Post
There was a home invasion around the block from me earlier this week, in the middle of the afternoon. Luckily they ran and nobody got hurt.
How many BGs? men/women? approx age? race?

Was there a getaway car? If not, how far away was the crime scene from the nearest BART/bus stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sppotlight View Post
But criminals are getting bolder now that the police are not making stops or responding to most calls. I've started carrying at home, I never felt the need to before this month. The pandemic really made clear that when the chips are down, the only person you can rely on for your family's safety is yourself.
Not only that, LE is emptying their jailbirds onto the streets. Contact the sheriffs' office and leave the sheriff a message saying you want him to liberalize CCW issuance.
Old 04-30-2020, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

If this is the same one that happened April 29 on my street, it wasn’t quite a home invasion but the post on Nextdoor was titled that way. The homeowner scared off three masked (although everyone is masked these days) Individuals from his back sliding door. He described them as black.

I think I actually drove past their car while it was going on and gave a description of the vehicle to police.

Quote:

Was there a getaway car? If not, how far away was the crime scene from the nearest BART/bus stop?

Not only that, LE is emptying their jailbirds onto the streets. Contact the sheriffs' office and leave the sheriff a message saying you want him to liberalize CCW issuance.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Pleasant Hill
Old 05-04-2020, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead965 View Post
Pleasant Hill

PH? Just awesome. Mom lives there as do several close friends. I’m just over the hill in Martinez.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-07-2020, 9:14 AM

Quote:
If this is the same one that happened April 29 on my street, it wasn’t quite a home invasion but the post on Nextdoor was titled that way. The homeowner scared off three masked (although everyone is masked these days) Individuals from his back sliding door. He described them as black.

I think I actually drove past their car while it was going on and gave a description of the vehicle to police.
Yes, perhaps a more accurate description would be attempted home invasion. Regardless, if some nefarious individuals tried to get into my house, I'd rather yell "Go away or I will shoot!" than "Oh my God honey get the baby and hide in the bathroom!"
Old 05-24-2020, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

There are currently more people with CCW in Contra Costa than people with COVID-19. Food for thought.
Old 05-24-2020, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
There are currently more people with CCW in Contra Costa than people with COVID-19. Food for thought.

Cococo has a population of 1.154 million with 1,321 infected and 36 deaths due to the ‘Rona. As of 2/2017, there were 317 approved CCW holders.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-24-2020, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Default Contra Costa

Quote:
Cococo has a population of 1.154 million with 1,321 infected and 36 deaths due to the ‘Rona. As of 2/2017, there were 317 approved CCW holders.
I know our minds are drawn to the bigger number.

Only 200 active COVID cases. The other 1100 recovered.

http://claycord.com/2020/05/24/daily...084-recovered/

Last edited by vandal; 05-24-2020 at 10:08 PM..
Old 06-15-2020, 10:43 PM

If one successfully gets a CoCoCo CCW, and that person wants to add a second firearm to the permit, do they just submit the application again with the new firearm serial #? Just planning.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaster View Post
If one successfully gets a CoCoCo CCW, and that person wants to add a second firearm to the permit, do they just submit the application again with the new firearm serial #? Just planning.
No. If you are not adding the second firearm at the time of ccw renewal, you have to provide the firearm information to the sheriff’s office and schedule a range qualification during one of the Saturday class days. You don’t have to sit through the lecture again. $35 as of March.

If you add the firearm during renewal, you must shoot the qualification with both firearms.
Old 06-24-2020, 9:33 AM

Is there any chance the Sheriff will find a backbone and start to issue some CCW's?

I'd really like to hear Paladin's thoughts on the whole NBC Santa Clara CCW corruption thing, maybe some other counties will start to issue more since the spotlight is on them?
Old 06-24-2020, 10:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Is there any chance the Sheriff will find a backbone and start to issue some CCW's?
The Sheriff does issue, but only if you have what we call Yellow or, preferably, Light Red criteria. See post #31 at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924 If you think you can pass Yellow, Light Red or Dark Red and want to try, read ALL my posts in that thread.

Quote:
I'd really like to hear Paladin's thoughts on the whole NBC Santa Clara CCW corruption thing, maybe some other counties will start to issue more since the spotlight is on them?
If that was the 11 pm investigation report of about a week ago, it was nothing new to those of us watching that investigation unfold. If it was some new news report, please link.

re. other counties liberalizing out of fear of similar investigations: No, her problem was, it sounds like, she did not issue consistently with her own restrictive policy. AFAIK, Ahern in Ala Co, for example, is consistent with his policy even though it is very restrictive: Light Red, maybe even Dark Red. Dittos with SF and Marin.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
The Sheriff does issue, but only if you have what we call Yellow or, preferably, Light Red criteria. See post #31 at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924 If you think you can pass Yellow, Light Red or Dark Red and want to try, read ALL my posts in that thread.

If that was the 11 pm investigation report of about a week ago, it was nothing new to those of us watching that investigation unfold. If it was some new news report, please link.

re. other counties liberalizing out of fear of similar investigations: No, her problem was, it sounds like, she did not issue consistently with her own restrictive policy. AFAIK, Ahern in Ala Co, for example, is consistent with his policy even though it is very restrictive: Light Red, maybe even Dark Red. Dittos with SF and Marin.
I guess i had a hope as this blatant corruption comes to light to the public more, maybe it would pressure people in charge e.f Sheriff's to do the right thing, even if only out of fear of not being on the wrong side of things.

Same report, the one where donors were 14 times more likely to get a permit and made up like 80 percent or something.
Old 06-29-2020, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

I got turned down over a year ago. Imagine my surprise when I get a call from the CCW coordinator!!! Yes haw!!!

She dialed the wrong number. Man!!!! Oh well.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 06-29-2020, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

That's brutal.

Quote:
I got turned down over a year ago. Imagine my surprise when I get a call from the CCW coordinator!!! Yes haw!!!

She dialed the wrong number. Man!!!! Oh well.
Old 06-30-2020, 5:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

That's brutal.

I know right?

Well, to whomever she was calling, hope he gets it!
M&P 15 (Mine)