Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Default Optic on a M&P Shield

So as some here know I recently put a Holosun 507c on my full size .40 S&W, however I also regularly carry a M&P Shield. Typically the three guns I regularly carry and compete with all have the same sights. For the last three years those have been the excellent Ameriglo T-CAPS.

Those who know my shop also know I research a lot of products so that I can give knowledgeable advice. A number of my clients especially law enforcement have been switching to RDS for their handguns typically Trijicon RMR. Well the RMR is the gold standard and I have shot it extensively, I had the chance to test the Holosun 507c which for personal carry and competition I much prefer because of the 35MOA reticle with 2MOA dot in the center. The sight is super fast and allows me to stay threat focused rather than focusing on the front sight, something as I spend more time in force on force training I appreciate more and more.

I scoured the internet and could only find on video showing either the Glock 43 or M&P Shield with an RDS and in both cases it was the fragile "Shield" brand RDS. There is a company that makes a dove tail mount for the G43 to take an RMR but so far no info on performance, and the Outer Impact dove tail mount will work for the M&P Shield with RMR. The Holosun 507c has the same footprint as the RMR.

So far I love it. Got bounced around the range the other day at On-Target because of classes that need range space so didn't finish getting a zero. Was just about nailed in with my practice ammo, but didn't get to fine tun the zero with my carry ammo. Got a couple of rapid fire box drills in at 7 and 15 yards with very good results and Mozambique drills on a target at 25 yards with good results.

Have the custom holster and am getting experience carrying the gun now. Hope to shot an USPSA match Thursday night with it, if I get the zero nailed down.
Old 04-28-2019, 2:23 AM

Thanks for this!
Old 05-21-2019, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Now have three hundred rounds down range with the Shield and a Steel match. Easy to carry, requires a little more care suiting up with a tucked in shirt and my 3:30 carry position.

The Holosun Reticle is so easy to pick up, although the technique if my dot isn't in my line of sight when I come up is different between the Shield and the full size M&P.

The RDS does create one issue and that is in terms of loading and making ready. Ideally well you can you don't want to use the sight to rack the slide. Getting my hand firmly on the rear of the slide without using the optic is a bit of a pain on the Shield.
Old 05-23-2019, 3:51 AM

Where did you get the slide cut?
Old 05-23-2019, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Ideally well you can you don't want to use the sight to rack the slide. Getting my hand firmly on the rear of the slide without using the optic is a bit of a pain on the Shield.
This should be a non-issue for any MRDS you use, if it is an issue don't use that MRDS.

I'm very confident in the RMR ability to take abuse both in my meager testing and viewing things like Sage Dynamics putting it through his torture tests (many thousands of rounds). He routinely slams the optics against door edges and the like along with drop tests.

He did the same with the Holosun 507c you can view the video here:

Or read his PDF which summarizes using various MRDS and their failures and lack thereof (one early RMR had an issue but non since, it has been by far the most tested of any MRDS he has worked with):
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc12...079552b640.pdf

Last edited by smashycrashy; 05-23-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Old 05-23-2019, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashycrashy View Post
This should be a non-issue for any MRDS you use, if it is an issue don't use that MRDS.

I'm very confident in the RMR ability to take abuse both in my meager testing and viewing things like Sage Dynamics putting it through his torture tests (many thousands of rounds). He routinely slams the optics against door edges and the like along with drop tests.

He did the same with the Holosun 507c you can view the video here:

Or read his PDF which summarizes using various MRDS and their failures and lack thereof (one early RMR had an issue but non since, it has been by far the most tested of any MRDS he has worked with):
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc12...079552b640.pdf
I know Aaron tests his optics that way, but in some of his video's and if you talk to him, he doesn't recommend it at all. He does it in the test to see if they can survive a fight, however ultimately it can cause issues over time he feels and the manufactures will tell you it's not recommend. Do I rack with the optic yes I have, do I want to not so much. I am actually less worried about the optic, than the mount which in my case is mounted using the rear sight dove tail.

The thing to remember is the Holosun is rugged and among the more affordable optics, and well I am getting them at wholesale since I own a CCW shop, even at my cost with the mount it's about 80% the price of the gun. If I was using a Trijicon the optic set up at cost would be more than the cost of the gun. I want to know it can take the punishment, but that doesn't mean I want to do that.

By the way I highly recommend everyone subscribe to Aaron's Youtube channel, the information is excellent. It doesn't replace attending quality training but it will make you think which is never a bad thing.