Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-05-2018, 3:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default CCW in STARBUCKS???

‘I don’t want to die this way’: Starbucks clerk relives attack after customer shoots assailant, police say
By Liesl Nielsen, KSL.com | Posted - Oct 4th, 2018 @ 10:32pm

10PM: ‘I don’t want to die this way’: Starbucks clerk relives attack after customer shoots assailant, police sayKate Valentine, KSL TV+ Show 3 more videos
MILLCREEK — Shelby Hamilton’s first thought as she lay bruised and bleeding on the ground of a Millcreek Starbucks was that she didn’t want to die this way. It would be a painful way to go.

It all began while Hamilton was working an early morning shift at the coffee shop near 3900 South and 900 East Thursday morning. Hamilton was standing behind the counter when a “haggard-looking” man entered, she said.

Instead of coming to the register to order, the man came behind the counter and asked Hamilton if she knew who he was. When she replied that she didn’t, he became angry and began beating her with his fists, she said.

“It was all just kind of random. I didn’t really know him. … He just came in the door and hit me in the back of the head from behind,” Hamilton told KSL.com.

She backed up and tried to put distance between herself and the man, but once she reached the end of the counter, she was trapped — and he continued hitting her. Hamilton’s co-workers, however, remained frozen, unsure what to do, she said.

“I started to think why no one was helping me, ‘cause he was only hitting me, and I felt kind of angry for a moment,” she said.

Before Hamilton had much time to ponder the question, however, the man picked up a metal supply basket and hit her on the side of the head. Hamilton crumpled, and the man continued kicking her in the back. The only thought left in her mind: "I don't want to die this way."

As soon as she fell to the ground, however, her co-workers ran out the door and began screaming for help. The next thing Hamilton knew, the man had stopped beating her and gone back around the counter.

Soon after, she heard a gunshot.

“The first thought in my head was that this had turned into a shooting,” she said. “My second thought was … he just shot my friends, and my third thought was … he’s going to come back here and shoot me.”

Hamilton said she crawled under the counter to hide from the would-be shooter, but it was the police that found her soon after. It was then she overheard on one of the officers’ radios that her attacker had been shot by a customer.

“My honest thought? I just hoped that he was dead,” she said.

Unified Police Lt. Ken Hansen confirmed later that the attacker was shot by a man in his late 60s who saw what was happening while visiting the shop for his morning coffee. The customer drew the man’s attention, and the attacker began to approach him.

As he came closer, the customer pulled out a gun and shot the attacker once in the chest, Hansen said. The man then stumbled out of the store.

Police arrived shortly after and used a Taser to take Benjamin Overall, 37, into custody. They then realized that Overall had been shot and summoned medical help for both Hamilton and Overall, Hansen said. Police believe Overall may have mental health issues, Hansen added.

Benjamin Overall poses for a mugshot in 2017. Overall was again taken into custody by police outside a Millcreek Starbucks Thursday morning, police said. (Salt Lake County Sheriff)
Overall was transported to a hospital in serious condition — though he has since been upgraded to satisfactory. Hamilton was transported in fair condition, though she’s since been released — albeit with a black eye, swollen face, cuts and bruises covering her hands and back.

Hamilton is grateful, however, that she’s alive. And especially grateful for the man with a gun who she said is a frequent customer.

“I know his drink," she said. "He comes in every morning and gets a large, blonde coffee in his personal cup. He’s always been very sweet. He’s always been very patient.”

Hamilton was initially surprised, however, when she heard he had shot the attacker.

“I never would have expected that from him," she said. "He just seemed like a very meek guy. So I was surprised, but also very grateful. I was very grateful that he was there. And I was glad it was somebody we see regularly so that hopefully, in the future, I can thank him.”

The customer has a concealed carry permit, Hansen said, and, though he doesn’t know for sure if the customer will face charges, he believes the shooting can be interpreted as self-defense. The customer is being “very cooperative” with police, Hansen added.

“We are thankful all partners (employees) and customers are safe after going through such a terrifying experience," Starbucks said in an emailed statement. "Our focus is on supporting our partners at this time. We are grateful local authorities were there to help and would direct any further questions their way.”

In 2013, Starbucks made a request that customers not bring firearms into its stores or outdoor eating areas, but the company specified that it was a request and not an outright ban.

As for Hamilton, she’s just happy someone was there.

“I’m just really grateful to be alive, and I’m thankful for everyone who was there to help me,” she said.

Contributing: Derek Petersen, KSL TV and Peter Karabats, KSL Newsradio
“If you are this terrified of your own government...then you’ve got bigger problems than just losing your guns, we all do...you’ve just described a communist regime, not the United States of America.” Skip Coryell, replying to a friend refusing to join the NRA because that friend didn’t want to end up on a government watch list, have the government know he owned guns and have them confiscated. Blood in The Streets
http://membership.nra.org/Join/Annuals
Old 10-05-2018, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Co-workers just flee. That has to feel good huh?

Hopefully no charges against the CCW.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 10-05-2018, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Co-workers just flee. That has to feel good huh?

Hopefully no charges against the CCW.
It is the world in which we live. It’s what allowed a minority of the voting population to support our current commander in chief. Dude’s a fighter.

On a side note, I just kinda impressed myself. I noticed your avatar is an unusual pistol. I zoomed in and thought, that looks like Deckard’s sidearm. Quick internet search, bingo! I am a true sci fi fan, if I say so myself.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Blade_Runner
“If you are this terrified of your own government...then you’ve got bigger problems than just losing your guns, we all do...you’ve just described a communist regime, not the United States of America.” Skip Coryell, replying to a friend refusing to join the NRA because that friend didn’t want to end up on a government watch list, have the government know he owned guns and have them confiscated. Blood in The Streets
http://membership.nra.org/Join/Annuals

Last edited by SactoDave; 10-05-2018 at 4:16 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoDave View Post
It is the world in which we live. It’s what allowed a minority of the voting population to support your current commander in chief. Dude’s a fighter.

On a side note, I just kinda impressed myself. I noticed your avatar is an unusual pistol. I zoomed in and thought, that looks like Deckard’s sidearm. Quick internet search, bingo! I am a true sci fi fan, if I say so myself.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Blade_Runner
Yes it is. And the design makes no sense. LOL But it looks great!

My other thought on the Starbucks story...
If the criminal had just walked in and shot her dead that would make national news.
Hero with a CCW, looks like it stays local. No surprise there but forever frustrating.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 10-05-2018, 5:15 PM

"In 2013, Starbucks made a request that customers not bring firearms into its stores or outdoor eating areas, but the company specified that it was a request and not an outright ban."

Yeah...trying to save face by editing their response to fit the incident.

Reminds me of people who say, "I'm against the death penalty." Then when discussing a particularly heinous crime, they say, "In this case, I'm for the death penalty."
Old 10-06-2018, 3:48 AM

Only in California would the phrase "I hope he (the customer) won't face charges".
Old 10-06-2018, 4:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
Only in California would the phrase "I hope he (the customer) won't face charges".
Well, and in Utah, where this actually happened and where the police spokesman said he doesn’t know if the customer will face charges.

Old 10-06-2018, 5:29 AM
Veteran Member

Dude should be charged with bad shot placement. Scumbag lives another day....
Old 10-06-2018, 5:40 AM
Veteran Member

Starbucks will probably ban the good guy customer for life for having the audacity to carry in one of their stores.
Old 10-06-2018, 6:52 AM
Calguns Addict

https://www.ksl.com/article/46400745...ant-police-say
Old 10-06-2018, 7:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I love this quote from Starbucks' reply to the incident: "We are grateful local authorities were there to help".

I have the utmost respect for LEO, but the local authorities didn't stop the attack, the citizen/CCWer DID! SHEESH!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-06-2018, 7:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
...she was trapped — and he continued hitting her. Hamilton’s co-workers, however, remained frozen, unsure what to do, she said.
WTF? Try jumping the dude and stopping him from killing her?
Quote:
“I started to think why no one was helping me, ‘cause he was only hitting me, and I felt kind of angry for a moment,” she said.
...(They NEVER liked you....) Hopefully, now, she’s REALLY pissed off at her co-workers.
Quote:
We are thankful all partners (employees) and customers are safe after going through such a terrifying experience," Starbucks said in an emailed statement. "Our focus is on supporting our partners at this time. We are grateful local authorities were there to help and would direct any further questions their way.
Yup. Thank goodness the cops arrived well after the fact.

Next stories to appear:

Employee sues Starbucks After Attack, claiming Starbucks failed to meet their duty to provide a safe workplace. Employees present at the time also named in the suit.

Alleged Assailant Sues Starbucks, alleging Starbucks created a hazardous public place by not banning firearms.
Old 10-06-2018, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
WTF? Try jumping the dude and stopping him from killing her?
...(They NEVER liked you....) Hopefully, now, she’s REALLY pissed off at her co-workers.

Yup. Thank goodness the cops arrived well after the fact.

Next stories to appear:

Employee sues Starbucks After Attack, claiming Starbucks failed to meet their duty to provide a safe workplace. Employees present at the time also named in the suit.

Alleged Assailant Sues Starbucks, alleging Starbucks created a hazardous public place by not banning firearms
CCWer sues Starbucks alleging Starbucks created an unsafe workspace by not requiring all baristas to Open Carry on the premises. He is also suing Starbucks for all damages, legal fees, a ton of 'just because' money, ammo replacement, additional marksmanship training and the cost of a new 1911 and IWB holster (cuz' it was obviously a 9mm, not a 45 ACP!).
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-06-2018, 7:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Before Hamilton had much time to ponder the question, however, the man picked up a metal supply basket and hit her on the side of the head.
This Just in.....

Quote:
“Starbucks today called for a ban on all metal supply baskets, as they may cause head injuries.

Starbucks officials stated that all stores will now use paper-based supply baskets which are made of recyclable materials and fully compostable. All stores will post signage informing customers to not enter stores while carrying metal supply baskets.

Starbucks officials emphasized this is a request and not a ban.”
Old 10-06-2018, 7:43 AM

This happened last month in our town.
Mr Hodges is a true hero!!

https://www.kget.com/news/local-news...man/1431077415

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM

It's sad that much of today's Starbucks crew consists of metrosexuals without a spine. People who do nothing to help when one of their own is being battered and assaulted. It's a new world, and I'll have to come to terms with it.

In regard to the shooter, there was no ban on carrying, but the million dollar questions is whether he was allowed to shoot the guy. Here in California, we carry to protect ourselves and the person standing next to us. We are not law enforcement, so we do not enter a business to stop a b*tch-slapping with a firearm. So it's really up to the D.A. to determine if there's a case or not. Ask yourself, would YOU, assuming you walk by a Starbucks and watched a dude slapping a gal, run in and shoot the guy?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

TLDR.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For those who like this sort of thing, I've got 230+ examples linked in my sig line.
Old 10-06-2018, 2:12 PM

Same thing happened at a Bakersfield Starbucks, except the attacker was armed with a machete, and the citizen who jumped into the fray to help was unarmed. He got 200 stitches for his efforts but he saved the girl and he's got a small fortune from GoFundMe.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/californi...arbucks-report
Old 10-06-2018, 2:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
For those who like this sort of thing, I've got 230+ examples linked in my sig line.
+1 on this. Takes a while to get thru all of the stories, but it's well worth the read.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-07-2018, 12:00 AM

I don't think I could shoot it a situation like that. But to each his own..