Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-08-2020, 8:41 AM
Veteran Member

Default Oct Fun Match at Burro Canyon 10/10/2020

Hi, everyone. Looks like good news for our October match. Burro Canyon is reopening after the Bobcat Fire, so we will be able to hold our match. Because of the delay due to uncertainty about reopening dates, this will be a regular match rather than our OK Corral shoot. See you at the range this Saturday! 9 AM range 1C as usual.

Allen
alrich77@hotmail.com
Old 10-08-2020, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

We are not picky about equipment - you can shoot what you want so long as it is safe. Eye and ear protection is required. We are not the police so mag capacity, etc are your choice. Holster and mag holders are nice, but we allow newcomers to start from the low ready position and to use pockets for their magazines. Newbies and people of all ages and genders are welcome - children so long as they are mature enough to follow the rules and shoot safely. My son started at 12 but we have had some a bit younger.
Old 10-08-2020, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Remember - sign up and pay with us at range IC, not at the range office. We will be at the last range on the right as you face the ranges across the road from the office. 9 AM on Saturday.
Old 10-08-2020, 9:04 PM

Send everyone my best wishes... I cannot attend as I've come in (masked) contact with someone who has had contact with someone who later tested positive for COVID. He is getting tested; hopefully it comes back negative.
Old 10-09-2020, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

We will miss you conquestking!

For updates on our matches, you can email Allen at alrich77@hotmail.com to get on the email list for the matches.

Rick
Old 10-09-2020, 9:21 AM

I’ve never been. Can I ask you what this shoot is like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2020, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

BenzBen - I also sent this to you via PM -

We are a group of guys, though some younger folks and women have attended in the past - who get together once a month on the second Saturday at Burro Canyon and have a fun action pistol match with a 3-gun stage. We are not formal and the idea is to have fun, shoot from the holster and some movement. We time and score, but that is just for your own use. It gives someone a chance to see if they would like to get into real competition or not, or just have fun in a non-competitive environment.

It is run like a match, with a timer and safety officer. Cold range, meaning you only load when online and told to "load and make ready." Then it is "Shooter stand-by," and when the buzzer goes off, you start the stage. Multiple targets, some obstacles, hostages or shooting from cover may be part of it. We go over everything thoroughly and the guy who planned the stage shoots it first so you can see how it works. Everyone pitches in to set up, tape targets, score and take it down and put away.

We welcome new shooters and work with them patiently to ensure both safety and fun.

Probably 100 -150 rounds of handgun ammo, 20 rounds of rifle and 25 rounds of shotgun with birdshot (no buckshot) is more than enough. Usually you won't shoot that much but I like to make sure I have plenty. As many pistol mags as you have is helpful.
Old 10-10-2020, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

We only had 5 shooters today, so it was pretty relaxed. The weather was perfect - cool with a slight breeze. One of the guys had a plate rack that used the plastic plates that self-sealed the holes so we used that in a couple of the stages. Overall, everyone has a great time.

Next month, on Sat, Nov 14th, Harold, our former LASD instructor and several years running National Police Olympics handgun champ, will give us lessons on some close quarters techniques. Harold has a wealth of experience and knowledge, having known Jack Weaver personally along with several other well-known handgunning experts. He was also a police shooting investigator for the Sheriff's Dept, as well as having his own street cop experience, so he has real world experience.