Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-13-2021, 5:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

But you knew what the Ruger had or didn't have before you bought it right? I got the safeties I wanted on my shotguns on purpose. Did you know where the mag release was on that PC CARBINE before you got out your wallet?
Old 10-13-2021, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
But only one of those ways is best. Best being most ergonomic, easiest, quickest, etc.

My point is not that the Ruger mag catch, located on the front of the receiver, in front of the magwell, doesn't work. It works fine.

It's that it would be better if it was reachable by the trigger finger, freeing up your left hand to retrieve a new magazine to insert into the gun faster than if the left hand has to first come back and hit the mag catch, which is hard for to dispute unless you're willing to ignore reality.
If you already have your next mag in your left hand it doesn't have to go back anywhere to retrieve it, but even if you didn't the release is right there by your left hand and can be pushed on it's way to retrieve mag off belt.
Old 10-13-2021, 6:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
If you already have your next mag in your left hand it doesn't have to go back anywhere to retrieve it, but even if you didn't the release is right there by your left hand and can be pushed on it's way to retrieve mag off belt.
So you're saying grab the new mag first, then release the empty one from the gun? How is that faster, more efficient, or better in any way than dropping the mag with your trigger finger at the same time your offside hand is retrieving a fresh magazine from your belt?

Still a detour for your hand, as well as an opportunity to fumble the button push.

Having it accessible with the trigger finger is better, prove me wrong.

Last edited by Robert1234; 10-14-2021 at 9:09 AM..
Old 10-13-2021, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
But you knew what the Ruger had or didn't have before you bought it right? I got the safeties I wanted on my shotguns on purpose. Did you know where the mag release was on that PC CARBINE before you got out your wallet?
What I knew doesn't change the fact that having it accessible with the trigger finger is more efficient.

There's a reason the heel mag catches found on older European semi-auto pistols aren't still around in large numbers. Yes they worked, but the button on the rear of the trigger guard is BETTER.

Now if you want to argue the hinged paddle thingies HK seems to want to use on pistols are equal or better than the button, you may or may not have a point... But that's an argument for a different thread.
Old 10-13-2021, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Still a detour for your hand, as well as an opportunity to fumble the button push.

Having it accessible with the trigger finger is better, prove me wrong.
I don't know much about the Ruger PC Carbine, but with the Marlin can just hit the mag release with left thumb and put new mag in, it would be better if it had ambi release then you could hit release with fingers of left hand and insert new mag with right hand since the bolt release is pulling the bolt handle back and letting go, you have to let go of the grip with right hand anyway. Where is the bolt release on the Ruger?
Old 10-13-2021, 8:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Has anyone actually tried the Jawbone?
Old 10-13-2021, 8:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I don't know much about the Ruger PC Carbine, but with the Marlin can just hit the mag release with left thumb and put new mag in, it would be better if it had ambi release then you could hit release with fingers of left hand and insert new mag with right hand since the bolt release is pulling the bolt handle back and letting go, you have to let go of the grip with right hand anyway. Where is the bolt release on the Ruger?
With the PCC you can swap both the bolt handle/release and mag release to either side.

Not sure what the big hoopla is about as it is only 9mm Glocks mags, so pretty easy to swap mags, operate mag release and bolt with one hand. Not like it is larger rifle mags.
Old 10-14-2021, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The fact that you're doing it with the left hand, when the left hand could be free to retrieve a fresh mag from the belt while the mag is being dropped with the trigger finger is the delay.

In your scenario, the left hand can't retrieve the new magazine until it has done something else. In my scenario, the left hand is retrieving the fresh magazine while the trigger finger on the right hand is dropping the spent magazine, getting it out of the way.

Not sure why so many people want to defend to the death a less efficient, hypothetical scenario. Hypothetical until one buys an aftermarket stock that corrects it, or the Jawbone Tactical mag catch lever. Or until Ruger corrects it in their next iteration of the gun, should they see fit to do so.
Old 10-14-2021, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNGGlock View Post
With the PCC you can swap both the bolt handle/release and mag release to either side.

Not sure what the big hoopla is about as it is only 9mm Glocks mags, so pretty easy to swap mags, operate mag release and bolt with one hand. Not like it is larger rifle mags.
The point of contention is that I'm suggesting that the magazine catch being activated by the trigger finger is a more efficient setup than having to use the hand that should be retrieving the fresh magazine while the trigger finger is releasing the spent magazine to release the spent magazine before it can retrieve the fresh magazine.

My suggested way is faster, and more efficient from the economy of motion standpoint. That makes it better. There is no downside.

That's it. Naysayers seem bent on adding to my comments, as if I'm disparaging Ruger in general, or the gun specifically (I own a few Rugers, one of them being the PCC, so this isn't true).

Pointing out that Ruger could have made a good gun better had it been designed with the mag catch within reach of the trigger finger seems to make some uncomfortable. Not sure why.
Old 10-14-2021, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The fact that you're doing it with the left hand, when the left hand could be free to retrieve a fresh mag from the belt while the mag is being dropped with the trigger finger is the delay.

In your scenario, the left hand can't retrieve the new magazine until it has done something else. In my scenario, the left hand is retrieving the fresh magazine while the trigger finger on the right hand is dropping the spent magazine, getting it out of the way.

Not sure why so many people want to defend to the death a less efficient, hypothetical scenario. Hypothetical until one buys an aftermarket stock that corrects it, or the Jawbone Tactical mag catch lever. Or until Ruger corrects it in their next iteration of the gun, should they see fit to do so.
Not really defending it just pointing out your left hand is already there next to the mag release, at least it is with my Marlin Camp, so not much of a delay if swapping mags before completely empty, but if I wanted I could have my left hand never let go of the rifle, retrieve the mag with the right hand since I have to pull bolt handle back to release the bolt anyway.

Looks like with the Jawbone you have what you want and Ruger doesn't need to change anything.
Old 10-14-2021, 9:35 AM

Since I have practiced this,,, the method I use to quickly swap mags,,, is to grab a mag off my belt with my left hand, go up and drop empty with left thumb, insert new mag with left hand, and then drop bolt with right hand.

If the empty doesn't drop free you use your left hand to strip it from the gun.

My 22 round Glock Mags don't drop free and my 31 round KCI's don't either.

This also allows you to drop the empty mag into your dump bag and not in the dirt as my dump bag is directly below the gun. You can go right to the mag drop, strip mag to the dump bag, grab new mag from belt and insert, drop bolt with right hand while supporting gun with left hand which is already in position to do this.

I haven't seen anyone other than full on competition shooters that can do a Emergency Reload on an AR where the old mag is in the air as the new mag passes it on the way into the mag well. This takes much practice.

My technique doesn't take as much practice so more people can do it. So it's better!!!

Where the bolt handle on the right side comes in is that when locking the bolt back you use your left thumb to operate the bolt catch Hence you need your right hand to operate the bolt handle. These guns will double feed and the only way to clear it is to lock the bolt back first, then you pull the mag out then rack the bolt to clear the action then reinsert the mag and rack the bolt ,,,Ready to fire.

What Robert doesn't get is that the Manual of Arms for running an SA gun has more to it than just doing mag changes.

To clear a double feed on an AR you must first lock the bolt back using your right hand to operate the bolt and use your left hand to latch it back. Then you have to strip the magazine Using your Trigger Finger to release the Mag and your Left Hand to strip the Mag out as it is stuck in there and then to the ground,,, then you have to sweep the mag well with your left fingers to clear the offending rounds,,, then you have to grab a new magazine and insert it and then you must drop the bolt to load the gun. The last thing can either be done with your right hand or some go underneath and use their left thumb to operate the bolt for other malfunctions.
Other Malfunctions are essentially ,,Tap, Rack, Flip. For the Tactical Reload you are going to retain the magazine anyway, so my second method of manipulating the mag and mag release comes into play.

You never use your trigger finger to sweep the mag well because in order to do that, you must support the gun with your left hand in close proximity to the bolt release and if you inadvertently hit the Bolt Release when your fingers are in there it hurts and your trigger finger is ruint. Ask me how I know this?

Lots more to this than just releasing a magazine. All guns have a Manual of Arms to operate them. It is best to learn the Manual of Arms instead of trying to redesign the gun!

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-14-2021 at 9:41 AM..
Old 10-14-2021, 11:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Pointing out that Ruger could have made a good gun better had it been designed with the mag catch within reach of the trigger finger seems to make some uncomfortable. Not sure why.
HOW DARE YOU, SIR?! Just kidding

I don't really care. I think one of the first reviews I watched about the PCC after I had already ordered one mentioned the mag release and how they figured out how to blip it and pull the mag or whatever technique that particular reviewer decided was best with the way Ruger built the thing.

I forgot about it till I got it to the range and then had to blip it as I pulled the mag out. It just was not a big deal to me... usually I just use a 19 or a 33 rounder if I don't want to swap mags as often, but it doesn't bother me. Besides wHen I shoot I usually remove the mag and load it again rather than flip it out and rip a fresh one from my belt to slam it in the carbine again ASAP. So, I would be the wrong person to ask if that design cripples my style. I'm probably exactly who Ruger designed that thing for.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The point of contention is that I'm suggesting that the magazine catch being activated by the trigger finger is a more efficient setup than having to use the hand that should be retrieving the fresh magazine while the trigger finger is releasing the spent magazine to release the spent magazine before it can retrieve the fresh magazine.

My suggested way is faster, and more efficient from the economy of motion standpoint. That makes it better. There is no downside???.
What you are assuming is the mag dropping free on it's own. They don't always do that and in my post above I mention that both my 22 and 31 round mags don't drop free.

If you have to strip your spent mag out there is no advantage whatsoever to running the mag release with your trigger finger. In fact the current placement is more efficient, and thus better!

Like I said above,,, there is more to running a gun than just changing Magazines. All configurations are a compromise.

Designing anything requires a thorough examination of all the various considerations concerning the design. You will never get 100% compliance with any given design and that doesn't matter what it is. There will always be pros and cons. The whole idea is to get as many of the Pros going your way as possible, and limit the number of cons. If you are above about 10% in the Cons Dept. you probably need to Punt and come up with something different.
The more complex the thing you design is, the more cons you will probably end up having to deal with. They can either be dealt with by changing the design or the method of operation. Both are viable but changing the Design generally costs more. Some things just have to be run a certain way.

Looking at the M1 Garand: Anyone who thinks the method of loading that gun was the best possible solution hasn't had their thumb taken off yet. However you were taught in Basic Rifle Training how to do it and not get bit, so working around the design flaw was the more cost effective method of dealing with the problem..

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Looking at the M1 Garand: Anyone who thinks the method of loading that gun was the best possible solution hasn't had their thumb taken off yet. However you were taught in Basic Rifle Training how to do it and not get bit, so working around the design flaw was the more cost effective method of dealing with the problem..

Randy
I think most people who got bit by the Garand was during inspection. When loading full clip into rifle, your thumb doesn't go down far enough to get bit.
Old 10-14-2021, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Since I have practiced this,,, the method I use to quickly swap mags,,, is to grab a mag off my belt with my left hand, go up and drop empty with left thumb, insert new mag with left hand, and then drop bolt with right hand.

If the empty doesn't drop free you use your left hand to strip it from the gun.

My 22 round Glock Mags don't drop free and my 31 round KCI's don't either.

This also allows you to drop the empty mag into your dump bag and not in the dirt as my dump bag is directly below the gun. You can go right to the mag drop, strip mag to the dump bag, grab new mag from belt and insert, drop bolt with right hand while supporting gun with left hand which is already in position to do this.

I haven't seen anyone other than full on competition shooters that can do a Emergency Reload on an AR where the old mag is in the air as the new mag passes it on the way into the mag well. This takes much practice.

My technique doesn't take as much practice so more people can do it. So it's better!!!

Where the bolt handle on the right side comes in is that when locking the bolt back you use your left thumb to operate the bolt catch Hence you need your right hand to operate the bolt handle. These guns will double feed and the only way to clear it is to lock the bolt back first, then you pull the mag out then rack the bolt to clear the action then reinsert the mag and rack the bolt ,,,Ready to fire.

What Robert doesn't get is that the Manual of Arms for running an SA gun has more to it than just doing mag changes.

To clear a double feed on an AR you must first lock the bolt back using your right hand to operate the bolt and use your left hand to latch it back. Then you have to strip the magazine Using your Trigger Finger to release the Mag and your Left Hand to strip the Mag out as it is stuck in there and then to the ground,,, then you have to sweep the mag well with your left fingers to clear the offending rounds,,, then you have to grab a new magazine and insert it and then you must drop the bolt to load the gun. The last thing can either be done with your right hand or some go underneath and use their left thumb to operate the bolt for other malfunctions.
Other Malfunctions are essentially ,,Tap, Rack, Flip. For the Tactical Reload you are going to retain the magazine anyway, so my second method of manipulating the mag and mag release comes into play.

You never use your trigger finger to sweep the mag well because in order to do that, you must support the gun with your left hand in close proximity to the bolt release and if you inadvertently hit the Bolt Release when your fingers are in there it hurts and your trigger finger is ruint. Ask me how I know this?

Lots more to this than just releasing a magazine. All guns have a Manual of Arms to operate them. It is best to learn the Manual of Arms instead of trying to redesign the gun!

Randy
Nothing you're saying couldn't be done just as easily if the mag catch was activated by the trigger finger.
Old 10-14-2021, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What you are assuming is the mag dropping free on it's own. They don't always do that and in my post above I mention that both my 22 and 31 round mags don't drop free.

If you have to strip your spent mag out there is no advantage whatsoever to running the mag release with your trigger finger. In fact the current placement is more efficient, and thus better!

Like I said above,,, there is more to running a gun than just changing Magazines. All configurations are a compromise.

Designing anything requires a thorough examination of all the various considerations concerning the design. You will never get 100% compliance with any given design and that doesn't matter what it is. There will always be pros and cons. The whole idea is to get as many of the Pros going your way as possible, and limit the number of cons. If you are above about 10% in the Cons Dept. you probably need to Punt and come up with something different.
The more complex the thing you design is, the more cons you will probably end up having to deal with. They can either be dealt with by changing the design or the method of operation. Both are viable but changing the Design generally costs more. Some things just have to be run a certain way.

Randy
Yes I'm assuming the mag drops when the catch is depressed. Cause that's what's supposed to happen. If that's not what's happening, I fix the gun/magazine so that is what happens. I want the magazine to jump out of the gun when I hit the mag catch. Pistol, rifle, or shotgun (remember I have a mag fed shotgun). If you don't want it hitting the ground, you have the option of catching it before it does. If you're using the gun in gun games, you let it fall cause catching it and dropping it in a drop pouch takes time.

Of course I now live in a free state where I can easily replace damaged magazines, so I understand if you California residents are hesitant to let magazines drop.

So to summarize, in my hypothetical world where the mag catch is activated by the trigger finger, your process doesn't change, and my process gets faster. And in your hypothetical world, your process is the same, and mine is slower.

From this we can assume three things.

1. Your process is a bit slower than mine due to having more steps involved, by your choice (not a criticism or judgement, just an observation based on your posts).

2. Your hypothetical world is set up in a less efficient fashion that does not affect your less than rushed mag changes, but has a negative effect on the process of others who might use the gun in gun games.

3. My hypothetical world would not impact your process at all, but would make my process speedier.

Ergo, my process is more efficient. It has no negative effect on your process, and it has a positive effect on my process. Which makes it better.
Old 10-15-2021, 7:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The mags always drop free 80% of the time?
Old 10-15-2021, 7:51 AM

There are probably more people buying the Ruger that just want a reliable 9mm carbine for HD and around the property for predator control and such than all the gamers put together.

I serious doubt that the rancher or property owner who is checking on things near dusk wants the magazine to jump out and speed to the ground so they can slam in another from some megapouch mag carrier.

That isn't a free state vs California issue its what most people want and do issue. When you compare the numbers the total of people who want magazines ejecting out like an overpressure 45 from the Ruger is likely miniscule compared to the total sales of the carbine.

Everyone gets it, the gamers and competitors want this and that but they aren't enough to drive the design and manufacturing decisions for certain models. It can be tough thinking that not enough people go along with what a few want in a design but that is reality and the bottom line is that Ruger is in the business to make money and not cater to gamers.

Look at all the HK aficionados who think the roller locked designs HK had were the end all to everything. Where are they now? The roller locked design could accommodate cartridges from rimfire to just about anything else and yet HK made the decision to move away from it.

Life isn't a game and while games can be part of it, its a sideshow as in entertainment and more people are buying the Ruger for something other than seeing just how fast they can hit a piece of metal and drop slam in another magazine.

Is one design better than the other? Sure but it depends on what side of the deal you're on.

The real bottom line is that if what someone thinks is that much better than what is being made then show someone the money or show them where its at and then see if they want to change what they are doing to chase it. Its simple, either the money is there or it isn't and in the case of the Ruger beit the Mini-14, the PC Carbine or even the 10-22 Ruger doesn't want to chase the gamers.

Who chases the gamers and the smaller number of buyers who it their way? Boutique builders. Ruger isn't making guns for you (plural) its making guns to make money and that means making them for everyone else because there are more of them than there are of you (again, plural).
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.
Old 10-15-2021, 8:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh wow... can confirm here. Some mags drop free easily and others are snug enough in the well that they do not. More often than not it is the newer orange follower mags, but I have three "identical" orange follower mags that are the brown ones... ONE of the three doesn't drop free. None are as loose in the well as the black follower ones I have. Magpul is similar. Some drop free and some do not. Not a big deal to pick out the ones that do drop free and use those IMHO if that's what you are after. Mag OD tolerances obviously vary.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:39 PM

We could go on forever, however what Robert doesn't get is that if his idea of placement as truly better then maybe Ruger would have done it from the get go?

He can argue about it all he wants but at the end of the day it is what it is and all his arguments matter not because Ruger ain't gonna change it to suit a small segment of the potential buyers that gets smaller every time we speak.

Simple point is,,, 99.999 % of the buyers are quite satisfied with the gun as it is. So that's what is going to rule the day. Ideas to the contrary are pointless.

Randy

Old 10-15-2021, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We could go on forever, however what Robert doesn't get is that if his idea of placement as truly better then maybe Ruger would have done it from the get go?

He can argue about it all he wants but at the end of the day it is what it is and all his arguments matter not because Ruger ain't gonna change it to suit a small segment of the potential buyers that gets smaller every time we speak.

Simple point is,,, 99.999 % of the buyers are quite satisfied with the gun as it is. So that's what is going to rule the day. Ideas to the contrary are pointless.

Randy
And what Randy doesn't get is that Ruger has a history of bad ergonomic placement of controls on their guns.

The charging handle on the wrong side, and not ideal mag catch placement on the Mini 14 and 10/22 rifles comes to mind.

He seems to believe that Ruger always makes the correct choices when designing their guns. The company can't even make a semi-auto handgun model that isn't a Mk rimfire that sticks around for more than a short time, then goes away and is replaced by something else. Not talking about succeeding generations like the black, plastic pistol c I many from Austria, talking about the SR9, American, P series, which all stuck around for a short time, and are no longer produced (or soon won't be produced if the trend holds).

So you see, Ruger is fallable. And I generally like their products, I just won't be blinded by whatever leads cats to think Ruger is always right in their designs.
Old 10-15-2021, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And what Randy doesn't get is that Ruger has a history of bad ergonomic placement of controls on their guns.

The charging handle on the wrong side, and not ideal mag catch placement on the Mini 14 and 10/22 rifles comes to mind.

He seems to believe that Ruger always makes the correct choices when designing their guns. The company can't even make a semi-auto handgun model that isn't a Mk rimfire that sticks around for more than a short time, then goes away and is replaced by something else. Not talking about succeeding generations like the black, plastic pistol c I many from Austria, talking about the SR9, American, P series, which all stuck around for a short time, and are no longer produced (or soon won't be produced if the trend holds).

So you see, Ruger is fallable. And I generally like their products, I just won't be blinded by whatever leads cats to think Ruger is always right in their designs.

The 10/22 and Mini 14 charging handles are perfect where they are for me, but Ruger is now making a lefty 10/22 for you lefties. I like the mag catch on both although I had to get used to the Mini 14 style on the 10/22 when they changed to it because I was so used to the old style, particularly with 10 round mags.

Isn't a better 22 pistol than the Ruger MK line, it is probably why they make nothing else that sticks around.

You sound like the guy who is upset because their DA revolvers are designed for righthanded people and their SA revolvers are designed for lefthanded people.
You get this upset because you have to pull the cylinder latch on Colt DA revolvers instead of push like S&W or is it just a Ruger thing with you?

Last edited by TMB 1; 10-15-2021 at 3:10 PM..
Old 10-15-2021, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Of course they are not perfect or even close. MKII+ are pretty sweet of course, but I never loved any of their other autos. I don't love the revolvers either. I like S&W's more. I think the LCR's are pretty nice. The Mini-14 is meh, and the 10/22 is iconic but pretty rough really - I can't think of many guns where you only keep the receiver and upgrade everything else to make it better. I know you don't have to do that, but many people do. Personally, I chalk the PC Carbine up to a big win for them like the LCR though.
Old 10-15-2021, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Of course they are not perfect or even close. MKII+ are pretty sweet of course, but I never loved any of their other autos. I don't love the revolvers either. I like S&W's more. I think the LCR's are pretty nice. The Mini-14 is meh, and the 10/22 is iconic but pretty rough really - I can't think of many guns where you only keep the receiver and upgrade everything else to make it better. I know you don't have to do that, but many people do. Personally, I chalk the PC Carbine up to a big win for them like the LCR though.
With the popularity of Glock, they were smart to make it use Glock magazines.

If I was like Robert, I would be bitching because it doesn't use S&W or Beretta magazines.
Old 10-15-2021, 5:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
With the popularity of Glock, they were smart to make it use Glock magazines.

If I was like Robert, I would be bitching because it doesn't use S&W or Beretta magazines.
For years, I would have bought a nice PC9 if I found a nice condition one between $500-700. I had maybe a couple 15 round P series mags and 3 or 4 newer Mecgar 17 rounders... I would have made that work. The new gun with all the new features, Glock mags, etc... was a no brainer. Everyone wanted one. Most people threw their money down ASAP. I ordered two from Kentucky.

What a big win for Ruger. It really is a high quality 9mm 10/22 take-down... and a great CA gun in its original featureless form.

I'm curious to shoot the Jawbone, but not enough to spend $85... and I spent $90 on a TTI comp, hahah.

Last edited by crufflers; 10-16-2021 at 5:03 PM..
Old 10-15-2021, 5:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
But only one of those ways is best. Best being most ergonomic, easiest, quickest, etc.

My point is not that the Ruger mag catch, located on the front of the receiver, in front of the magwell, doesn't work. It works fine.

It's that it would be better if it was reachable by the trigger finger, freeing up your left hand to retrieve a new magazine to insert into the gun faster than if the left hand has to first come back and hit the mag catch, which is hard for to dispute unless you're willing to ignore reality.

At least there's something you can do about it, and it's not real expensive.

You're talking about 10/22's, right?
Old 10-16-2021, 7:54 AM

[QUOTE=sigstroker;26262243

At least there's something you can do about it, and it's not real expensive.

You're talking about 10/22's, right?[/QUOTE]

Nope, Ruger PC Carbine. There are just as good alternatives for the PC Carbine though.

Didn't many of us get into owning certain guns because we could change them to make them personal to us? That's why I got the 10-22 for sure. Same with the PC Carbine, lots of goodies for it.

The ARs? While there are unlimited accessories for them they just don't rock the boat, too much like tools and no real character to them IMHO. Maybe its the traditional styling of the Ruger vs the AR but I'll try new stuff out on the Rugers (10-22/PC Carbine/Mini) and get a lot of fun and satisfaction out of it but with an AR, throw something on and put it away and not really care if I even take it out to shoot.

Then again, give me any fine bolt gun over a semi anything and I'm good.
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think most people who got bit by the Garand was during inspection. When loading full clip into rifle, your thumb doesn't go down far enough to get bit.

Exactly, well said.
Old 10-16-2021, 3:18 PM

OK, I yelled out to Ruger and they are going to include an on-empty automatic magazine release in the next version. To compensate for the cost of the redesign they are increasing the cost of magazines by $20 because the special on-empty mag release has a special insert made of stainless steel to aid in reliability and instead of using Glock magazines you have to buy them from Ruger.
Old 10-16-2021, 5:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Like I mentioned... P95DC, Euro style ambi mag releases on the trigger guard and ambi decocker on the slide. Ruger does things their own way and still sells a million.

I could care less about the recessed Euro style mag release on my MK II Gov Target. That gun is awesome.

I like the Ruger cylinder release on their revolvers. They do things differently sometimes.

The bolt stop on the 10-22 and PCC are weird AF. I bet plenty of kids shoot 10/22's and are clueless still how that works.